PDA

View Full Version : Broken Collar Bone

Doug G
03-26-2007, 11:33 PM
So my son crashed snowboarding on Friday and broke his left collar bone mid shaft. Orthopedic visit today. Nice break, as breaks go, no surgery just 5-6 weeks of let it heal and range of motion exercises. Anyone done this one have any hints to help him out? He is bummed about losing a month of riding ...

east tx skier
03-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Bummer. Glad he doesn't need surgery, but tough injury all the same.

LakePirate
03-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Broke mine going into my freshman year at football camp. It will actually grow back stronger. The only advice I have is to not do too much too soon. And wear the brace they give him and the sling.

Nothing sucks worse than shoulder injuries, but it is over before you know it.

Tell him to take it easy, he will be ok.

bigmac
03-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Broke mine going into my freshman year at football camp. It will actually grow back stronger. It will??:confused:

The only advice I have is to not do too much too soon. And wear the brace they give him and the sling.

Nothing sucks worse than shoulder injuries, but it is over before you know it.

Tell him to take it easy, he will be ok.That I agree with...

LakePirate
03-26-2007, 11:42 PM
That is what they told me.

bigmac
03-26-2007, 11:44 PM
That is what they told me.Just goes to show ya...you can't believe everything doctors say...

LakePirate
03-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Just goes to show ya...you can't believe everything doctors say...

You can say that again. I guess you can't trust those university of georgia athletic department orthopedic surgeons.

Leroy
03-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Good thing we know the right doctor to believe! I had also heard where the bone grows back together is stronger than the rest of the bone after a break, but not true....

Just goes to show ya...you can't believe everything doctors say...

bigmac
03-26-2007, 11:55 PM
You can say that again. I guess you can't trust those university of georgia athletic department orthopedic surgeons.It's not true, so apparently not.

OTOH, I'm a doctor, so you can't believe me either...

tb23
03-26-2007, 11:59 PM
I broke my collar bone riding BMX, it grew back alot stronger. The doctor told me the sling was for comfort and had nothing to do with the healing process. I still have a huge bump where I broke it, you can see it through my shirt. Definately don't do to much too soon. The doc told me you'll know if its to soon. He said if it hurts don't do it. Best of luck.

bigmac
03-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Entirely too much trust in doctors' advice around here. Very odd.

cbryan70
03-27-2007, 12:52 AM
broke mine....doctor thought it was a bike accident...my advice DONT FALL ON IT when its already been broke!!! that sets you back ALOT! also make the sling on your back as tight as possible....it may hurt to start but it will make you feel alot better in the long run

Monte
03-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Doug, hate to hear that about your son, hope the recovery goes well. I've never broken that bone, nor am I a doctor so I have no advice to give... Good luck with it..
BTW.. I'd have to give him a little crap about his extremely painful ploy to get out of cutting the grass... <<<< Joke

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Entirely too much trust in doctors' advice around here. Very odd.
Thats where I come in my friend. I am the ying to your yang! wow, that didnt sound very good...:o anyway, I am a Psuedo doctor, DONTCHANO! psudeo doctor! NO its not a british new wave band from the 80's!:rolleyes: I am a Mechanical Engineer and a novice hobbyist taxidermist. If they dont trust me, then they can trust you. and vice versa! I treat the sick with yoga, excercise, chicken soup, black russians, and a healthy dose of smokey and the bandit! and some pirate jokes for good measure.

Maristar210
03-27-2007, 12:20 PM
It's not true, so apparently not.

Now that's funny right there.

Just when I was planning on breaking my manhood in hopes that it would recover and be bionically strong.... Da na na na

Thanks for pi$$ing in my cheerios Doc....:D :D

loeweb
03-27-2007, 12:40 PM
collar bone is the most commonly broken bone in the body. It has no where to go when pressure is applied. Don't do too much too early and he'll be fine.

#47of100TeamMC
03-27-2007, 12:42 PM
broke mine....doctor thought it was a bike accident...my advice DONT FALL ON IT when its already been broke!!! that sets you back ALOT! also make the sling on your back as tight as possible....it may hurt to start but it will make you feel alot better in the long run

Been there, Done that. Broke my left Clavicle back in 2000 racing Motocross. what cbryan70 says is the truth... Make sure you keep that figure 8 brace that pulls your shoulders back and aligns the bone as tight as you can stand it! I was not told to do so, and 3 years later i had surgery putting in a plate and screws to hold it together... Not fun! I just had the plate removed this past Nov. when I had my ACL repaired. Nice to have that thing out, it bothered me constantly!

Doug G
03-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Doug, hate to hear that about your son, hope the recovery goes well. I've never broken that bone, nor am I a doctor so I have no advice to give... Good luck with it..
BTW.. I'd have to give him a little crap about his extremely painful ploy to get out of cutting the grass... <<<< Joke

Actually he is enjoying getting out of doing the teak and helping with the spring wax job. He is hoping he can ride again by CSM.

Now that's funny right there.

Just when I was planning on breaking my manhood in hopes that it would recover and be bionically strong.... Da na na na

Thanks for pi$$ing in my cheerios Doc....:D :D

Leave it to a Doc to ruin the cheerios... I too was starting to build hope

I treat the sick with yoga, excercise, chicken soup, black russians, and a healthy dose of smokey and the bandit! and some pirate jokes for good measure.
Somehow I don't see any of the above being appealing to a 15 y/o . Thankfully he hasn't discovered black russians yet.

Monte
03-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Actually he is enjoying getting out of doing the teak and helping with the spring wax job. He is hoping he can ride again by CSM.

See there, injury has its, positives:rolleyes: .. I too hope he can get some runs in at CSM...:cool:

rick s.
03-27-2007, 01:19 PM
my son (15) did exactly the same thing mid February. 6 weeks after the event the doctor cleared him and he's back playing lacrosse.

Not too much you can do for the first 4 weeks other than be careful. My son started working out again between his 4th and 5th week.

He didn't remember the collision with the skier so he got an all expenses paid ride on a heliocopter from South Lake Tahoe to Reno.

25K was what my insurance company was billed for that ride.

barefoot
03-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I separated my clavicle downhill skiing last winter at Beaver Creek. At first, it felt like a really hard fall and about five minutes later, I couldn't move my shoulder. I tried to keep it moving to keep it loose, but it got to the point that I realized something was wrong. Skied down and spoke with ski patrol and they said to go visit the hospital. Good news was that it wasn't broken, but I have a pretty severe separation. It looks like I have a random bone poppin’ out of my shoulder.

Tell him to hang in there...it'll heal up in no time and he'll be back to doing the things he loves.

LakePirate
03-27-2007, 08:25 PM
It's not true, so apparently not.

That was more of a stab at UGA not you there BigMac

bigmac
03-27-2007, 09:44 PM
That was more of a stab at UGA not you there BigMac
:D :D :D No problem LP...