PDA

View Full Version : Static from tower speakers

2QWICK
03-26-2007, 03:15 PM
We just had our X30 in the shop to have a blown amp repaired (got to hot). Yesterday was the first time we had it out since and we noticed two strange sounds coming from the stereo.

The first was some sort of static coming from what sounded like the right tower speaker. We unplugged the plug on the tower so naturally the speakers turned off as did the static… but everyone on the boat could have sworn we heard it from the lower speakers as well at one point. I checked all the connections on the amp which looked tight, I looked at the back of the head unit and everything looked ok and seemed normal. We plugged the tower speakers back in when underway and it sounded like the static stopped… but then again we were doing 45 mph so who can tell.

The second repair that we had done was tightening the MP3 connection which is just under the throttle. Why anyone would put it there is beyond me but that’s where it is. Well the connector is tight but there is a definite clunking sound behind the speaker next to the drivers feet that wasn’t there before. Its almost as if there is something loose back there or that the panel isn’t locking in place.

As I was typing this I realized that we had a bimini put on as well…. Any chance that the screws going into the tower could have nicked the wires going to the tower speakers? I’m at a loss and haven’t called the shop yet as I wanted to so some footwork for them first.

JBaker
03-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Definitely sounds like it could be a screw through a speaker wire...although that wouldn't explain it if you actually did hear it from the cockpit speakers as well. Does your system have just the one 6-channel amp, or multiple amps? Also, it would be helpful to know if this static could be heard from multiple sources (MP3 input, Radio, CD, etc.) Is the static constant or does it come and go and/or go up and down in volume?

2QWICK
03-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Yep we just have the one amp which is brand new. Yeah we first heard it with the radio on so we put a CD in and the static was still there... it was also odd that it seemed worse at low speeds.

JBaker
03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Well here is what you can do:

First stick your ear up to each speaker and make sure you are hearing the static from both the cockpit and the tower. The cockpit speakers (all four) run off channels 1&2, while the tower runs off 3&4. If its just the tower that is having the issues, try flip-flopping RCA cables so that what was inputting into 1&2 is now inputting to 3&4 and vice versa. If the static then changes from the tower to the boat you will that either you have a bad output on your head-unit or a bad RCA cable/connection. If it does not switch, then you have either a bad amp or issues with the speaker wire/connection.

If it is both the tower and the cockpit speakers all the time, then you could have any of the above going on(with the exception of speaker wire/connection issues), although the amp becomes the most likely suspect.

It probably just SEEMS as though the static is getting louder at lower speeds as I cannot conceive of any scenario that static volume would fluctuate opposite revolutions of the motor; if anything they would increase together.

wtoddburns
03-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Check your ground wire to the amp and the RCA cables. I had the same problem.

ctkiteboarding
03-28-2007, 10:38 AM
im havin the same problem , i have the system wired thru the ignition, which has turned out to be a mistake, every time i stop the motor to talk w the rider the tunes stop and take abit to repower upon starting , PITA:(
im going to wire the system thru a accessory switch ,,

do you guys think the static can be coming thru the ignition??

also my perfect pass goes blk after a few minutes , gary from perfect pass says its sensitive to static and that outboards have strong ignition systems that create issues???

sorry for the partial hi jake,,

im hoping if i resolve the static it will be the solution to both issues any ideas?

cst573
03-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Sounds like a grounding issue.
Follow JBakers advice and you also may want to disconnect all of your speakers and check them one at a time connected to the amp. You should be able to pinpoint which speaker the static is coming from.

ctkiteboarding
03-28-2007, 06:21 PM
loose connection for the stereo static thanks

2QWICK
04-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Awesome tips guys... Im going to run thru these tests tonight and let you know what I find.

2QWICK
04-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Welp... its DEF only in the tower speakers and is coming from the starbord side only. I flipped the tower speaker wires on the amp and the static was still there but only out of the right speaker connection on the amp... i dropped it off at the dealer today to have them check it out - sounds like the brand new amp has a bad channel.

2QWICK
04-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Bad amp... that makes #3 :(

JBaker
04-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Bad amp... that makes #3 :(

Have your other amps shared any of the same symptoms? You have to wonder if there is something in the wiring or the application in general that is causing the amps to fail.

By the way what dealer are you going to?

2QWICK
04-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Well we only have one amp. They (Liquid Sports Marine) told me that all the circuits were Ohm'd and all was good. I guess we'll see this weekend when we have it out.