PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Oil Leak

87MCProstar
03-26-2007, 01:17 PM
As my s/n suggest I have an 87 ProStar, at the end of the season last year I noticed an oil leak. But I didn't see any wet spots anywhere on the block, where else could it be coming from?
Tim

BrianM
03-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the board. Are you sure you or the person who changed the oil didn't spill a little in the bilge when changing the filter?

DrJ
03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't know if this helps you but here is what happened to me. I will make a long story short. Had oil in the hull. could not find a leak anywhere. Come to find out there was a crack in the brass cap that screws onto the oil drain tube. It was a very small crack and would only leak while running. So you may want to check it. Good luck and keep us posted.

TMCNo1
03-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Feel for oil on the oil filter, there may be a bad gasket or some residual oil on it from a oil change that has got to the bilge.

87MCProstar
03-26-2007, 04:14 PM
thanks 4 the replys, it was def. not due to the last oil change. i was thinking about the oil drain plug but didnt check it out with a mirror, but it makes sense.
tim

Jim@BAWS
03-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Check valve cover gaskets. Sometimes the valve covers have a little leak and need a quick snug. Never OVERFILL. The rear main seal may develop a leak and it will drip down behind the bell housing down the spacer between the block and the tranmission.
Check the QUICK DRAIN LUBE kit on the oil pan.
Sometimes that gets loose over time, just needs a quick tighten. Those are the 3 culprits I know of.

Jim@BAWS

87MCProstar
03-27-2007, 12:41 AM
thanks jim. i'm gonna print this all out when the boat comes out of storage next week