PDA

View Full Version : How to Get Gorilla Glue Off My Seat

uncleboo
03-25-2007, 11:59 PM
My 30th anniversary decal was glued on by MC, not sewn like it should have been. The thing comes off in hot weather so the previous owner gorilla glued it on. Unfortunately it oozed around the edges as brownish stains. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get this off my seats?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-26-2007, 12:14 AM
YIKES..That stuff is brutal to remove. ....A scraper perhaps...:confused:

JKTX21
03-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Wow. I don't know what to tell you. I'd try bleach if it were me. Gorilla glue on vinyl? That stuff expands about 3x the liquid size when dry.

JimN
03-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Bleach won't do anything to Gorilla glue. The only thing I know of that will remove it is acetone, which will also remove the vinyl. If the area of glue isn't too large, maybe you could get some vinyl dye that matches. You may be better off calling a vinyl repair service since they may have other tricks for this.

Leroy
03-26-2007, 08:34 AM
I use a sharp knife to trim Gorilla Glue, just be very careful.

JLeuck64
03-26-2007, 01:32 PM
I too have a 30th S&S and the vinyl emblems had been glued back on by the previous owner. It looked like they had used shoe goo and it was bleeding around the edges and dirt was sticking to it. Pretty gross looking!

Here is what I did to fix mine. First I removed them and started cleaning up the old glue residue. I tried using all kinds of cleaners to remove the old glue and what really worked the best for me was some old bug and tar remover I had laying on the shelf. This stuff was really good because it had toluene as an ingredient. Toluene is a very strong solvent and I donít believe we can even purchase any products that have it as an ingredient any more. When that supply ran out I tried a product called Goof Off, it has Xylene in it and is a pretty good solvent. As with all solvents you should wear gloves to protect your hands and work in a well ventilated space. The fumes will get to you because it takes a long time to remove most of the old glue. I spent the better part of two days rubbing and picking and even scrapping the old glue (with an X-Acto knife) from the rear seat and the back side of the emblems. I was hoping to remove the stickers and old glue and just leave them off the seats entirely. But the glue used by the factory had stained the vinyl and it didnít look good without the emblem covering it up. So I decided to use a waterproof contact cement to re-attach the emblems. Sorry I canít remember the product name but you can still purchase this cement from Home Depot. It comes in a small brown bottle (about 4 oz.) and the lid has an applicator brush attached to it. I once used this stuff to re-attach a knee board pad and it is still working after 10 years! As with all contact cements I have the best luck applying one coat to both pieces that you are trying to glue together. Let the glue dry so that it is not tacky when you touch it. Then, carefully line up the emblem and press it down. You only get one shot at it, and you can tell from my photo that I missed a little. Once it is stuck down to the vinyl again you can clean up the edges with a rag soaked with Goof Off.

JLeuck64
03-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Here are the other two pictures...

Wish I could figure out how to put these pics inside the text, oh well.

Hope this helps you out.

Regards,
J

captain planet
03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
There may be some relief for uncleboo, JLeuck 64, Farmer Ted, and myself (and anyone else with this boat). Thanks to Farmer Ted supplying me with a scanned image of the emblem I know have the whole thing, the "30th" part included electronically. I am in the process of having the image digitized and am going to have it embroidered on my seats. I have played with the size to make it just a little bigger than the original size to cover up the staining left behind from the glue. As soon as I get this done, I was going to post pictures of the before and after of the job. If it works, this may be the answer to our problem.

uncleboo
03-26-2007, 08:10 PM
The major problem I have really isn't excess glue, but rather the brown stain around the edge of the emblem. Previous owner did a pretty good job of not getting glue everywhere, but it is noticeable. So right now I have acetone (not recommended), toluene, bug/tar remover, vinyl dye and a scraper. Anyone else have any ideas? I am really just trying to get the stain out around the emblem.

I would like to have the emblems stitched on so I know it will be there for good. I called about digitizing the image--most of the local places wanted 80-125 setup fee to create the gif for the machine. Seemed a little steep. I would definitely go that route if I didn't still have all my pieces. I just need to find someone who has a big ol sewing machine.

captain planet
03-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Uncleboo, you must have had some luck with your emblems, because I reglued mine numerous times with all types of different glues and adhesives, but none worked. I stopped trying to find a glue when my emblems started to delaminate and fell apart. My only option at this point is to do embroidery. My local dealer is working on this for me, once it is set up and done I will let you know how it goes.

captain planet
02-14-2008, 03:38 PM
We're getting close on this one. My local dealer is getting back to me on this. I have used my resources to find out what type of thread MC uses on their seats and my seats are out of my boat. I am waiting for the word from my dealer and I will remove my skins and take them to them. Pictures will be included in this when it gets done.

captain planet
03-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Now we're finally getting somewhere with this. I dropped off the skins to my boat to get embroidered yesterday. I took pictures of the before and when I get them back will take a few of the after pictures and post them here for you all to see. I hope to have them back in a week or so. :)

bucky
03-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Gorilla glue is a polyurethane (a plastic), which is pretty much what your seat is made of. Anything that will bleach or remove it will do the same to the vinyl.

JLeuck64
03-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Hey Captain,
Does your embroider feel OK about the MasterCraft logo being a registered trademark? The reason I ask is because my local embroider is hesitant to do the same type of work for me unless I get a letter granting permission from MC...

D3skier
03-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Hey Captain,
Does your embroider feel OK about the MasterCraft logo being a registered trademark? The reason I ask is because my local embroider is hesitant to do the same type of work for me unless I get a letter granting permission from MC...

that's crazy if it's going on a Mastercraft product....

kjohnson
03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Have you tried goop off? It won't damage your vinyl and removes tar, gum etc.

captain planet
03-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey Captain,
I have it covered. PM at ya.

captain planet
04-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I just spoke with my dealer about my seat skins. I will get to look at a trial run of the image on Monday that is done on a piece of seat vinyl. Hopefully all will look and I will have my skins back shortly. :woohoo: :dance: I will post pictures of before and after once I get it done.

Cloaked
04-04-2008, 05:28 PM
My 30th anniversary decal was glued on by MC, not sewn like it should have been. The thing comes off in hot weather so the previous owner gorilla glued it on. Unfortunately it oozed around the edges as brownish stains. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get this off my seats?Sharp razoblade and lighter fluid (as Kj suggested, Goop Off is lighter fluid). Soften or dissolve with the lighter fluid, then extract.

captain planet
04-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I stopped in today to check out a sample of the image that will be embroidered on my seats. WOW did it come out awesome. The shop doing the work is going to send me some pictures of the proof and the seat before the work is done. I hope to have that picture before end of day tomorrow.

88 PS190
04-07-2008, 11:31 PM
I'd think the embrodery would not matter, as they are not producing the image for sale, as in they are not selling you the mastercraft logo, or mastercraft authentic skins?

But I am unsure, definately if you did it yourself it'd be acceptable, like printing off a mastercraft sticker on your computer... So long as you weren't selling it.

And if you had a painter he could paint your car with a big Mastercraft logo, and a vinyl shop can make you mastercraft vinyls...

So I'd think its alright.

captain planet
04-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Here is a picture of what the image looks like after it has been digitized and edited. Next to it is the before of my seats. When I get the seats back I will post a picture.

Looks good so far!!!

uncleboo
04-28-2008, 10:34 PM
It looks great! Let me know how I can get a copy of that image so I can take it to someone in my area!

captain planet
05-01-2008, 11:17 AM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22810&highlight=30th+anniversary

Here is a link to the thread of the finished product.