PDA

View Full Version : Grand River MICHIGAN

86mcskier
03-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Is it possible to ski on the grand river between lake michigan and grand rapids. This may be a stupid question, but is the river deep enough?

Maristar210
03-25-2007, 08:36 PM
It is deep enough but below the 6th street dam all the way out to near Allendale I would not risk it due to the changing bottom conditions and there are several sewage treatment facilities that are upriver. The water quality is often in question with several no contact warnings placed on it throughout the year when the facilty overflows due to high water and actually releases raw sewage into the river. There are better places to go for sure, I'd skip it and look elsewhere.

PM me or RickDV if you need some better ideas.

Steve

Holtrodj
03-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Please heed Maristar210's advice, cause we ski it at least 3-4 days a week in the summer. I'm not the best with sharing my water... (J/K :) )

There are plenty of places between Allendale and Grand Haven that you can ski, but he is right - there is cleaner water out there.

suedv
03-25-2007, 10:50 PM
We go out to Allendale a lot for ski outings. There are some shallow spots if you head up river, but you can go all the way to Grand Haven. Rick grew up in Grand Haven so that is a fun outing when we have a few hours and mostly just want to go for a ride and maybe listen to a baseball game on the radio. :) There are a lot of no wake zones between Allendale and Grand Haven so it is kind of slow going.

If you go from Allendale to Grand Haven I'd highly recommend staying out of Indian Channel. It gets very shallow... we've seen some boats go flying in there and come to a FAST stop on a sand bar.

The skiing is better around Allendale.