PDA

View Full Version : Airline Miles Credit Cards or others

JohnnyB
03-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Just curious to know what kind of air line miles or other reward credit card you use and what kind of terms you get.

Currently CapitalOne which is typically 1 mile/$1 spent and redemptions for airline tickets are typically 65,000 miles or 100x the cost of a ticket.

switching to:

Northwest WorldPerks Signature Visa

1mile/$1 unlimited if you use AutoPay. PerkSaver travel (Sat stay req'd) gets you a ticket in the US for 25000miles or to Mexico/Hawaii for 35000miles.

Plus, I've already got a crapload of Worldperks miles from Business travel:D

bigmac
03-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Just curious to know what kind of air line miles or other reward credit card you use and what kind of terms you get.

Currently CapitalOne which is typically 1 mile/$1 spent and redemptions for airline tickets are typically 65,000 miles or 100x the cost of a ticket.

switching to:

Northwest WorldPerks Signature Visa

1mile/$1 unlimited if you use AutoPay. PerkSaver travel (Sat stay req'd) gets you a ticket in the US for 25000miles or to Mexico/Hawaii for 35000miles.

Plus, I've already got a crapload of Worldperks miles from Business travel:DYou have to be careful purchasing those cards. Northwest gets a $90/year fee, plus they charge up to the maximum APR. IIRC, they figure your APR based on adding a percentage value to the prime lending rate - currently that's 9.75% plus prime for purchases that exceed the 24 day grace period. Not too big a deal if you pay the card off diligently, but you have to pay it as soon as the bill arrives.

Furthermore, redeeming miles from Northwest can pose it's own set of adventures. One needs to look at their terms and redemption policies carefully. I have a crapload of Worldperks miles too plus Gold Elite status, Minneapolis being a major Northwest hub. Other than the very occasional business class upgrade, it really hasn't gotten me much.

Leroy
03-25-2007, 07:27 PM
I try to focus everything into Northwest and have been able to get around 14 free tickets over the past 3 years. Tickets are normally 25k-35k miles.

But I sign up for awards programs everywhere I go. Adventually you get something out of everyone.

If you used Discover you would have $650 cash for the 65k you spent. My preference and much more portable.

School Skier
03-25-2007, 07:30 PM
We use MidWest airlines. We have been frequent fliers for a number of years and have been very happy with them. 25K for one round trip ticket.

JohnnyB
03-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Leroy,

Good point on the cash as opposed to miles!!!

Bigmac,

Good watchout. My main credit card is pretty much treated like a debit card. At the end of the month, it gets autopayment from my checking account. I've had similar luck as Leroy in redeeming points. I usually take a vacation every-other-year on the points (2 tickets at a time).

lawless1
03-26-2007, 12:31 PM
We use an Alaska Air card and concur on the annual fee ($75) and interest rate comments. Use this for major purchases and travel arrangements and pay right away to avoid interest payments.

We just booked Cancun with miles for beginning of '08 (60,000 miles for 2 tickets). The trick is to book way in advance though. With Alaska you can book 330 days in advance of your trip. I have business travel to DC in June and the wife is going to go also but since the trip is so close it took 40,000 miles to get her a free ticket (instead of 20,000 if booked way in advance).

sanjuan23
03-26-2007, 12:47 PM
For the past two years we have been using the Citi AAadavantage Platinum Card. We treat it just like the bank account charge just about everything on there and write a check once a month. With the grocery store card we get 1 mile for every $1 as well, so we are getting double the miles for every dollar we spend at the store. Gas purchases are doubled as well. Since the rate is ridiculous we use the Discover Card if we have to finance something over a couple of months. All in all great for getting at least 3 round trip tickets a year.

BrianM
03-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I ditched the airline miles card due to the fact that they all have an annual fee. Plus the fact that it is so hard to redeem the miles unless you use the unrestricted rewards which are twice the 'cost'. I switched to 1% cash back through Chase. No fee and I can use the money for whatever I want. I'll by my own plane tickets.

tones03
03-26-2007, 12:54 PM
World Perks here, just used it for 2 tickets to florida, plus they are partners with Continental and Delta. Works out well.

G-man
03-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Good timing on this topic. I have 45000 miles on AA, I have tried to get a ticket at least 4 times and nothing. I have a long trip coming up next month if I can't get a seat upgrade this trip I will be donating my miles to a charity AA supports and canciling my AA platnum card. A recent news story said 54% of the time people can't use their milage awards. Recently my GM card gave me $1000 bonus on top of award I had with them. I do think I'll go the discover method after the AA card is gone.

M-Funf
03-26-2007, 01:28 PM
I've never been happy with miles cards. I've had a couple, but there were always a hitch to it. Now I go for $ rewards from my CC.

I did collect quite a few free flights and upgrades with the United Mileage Plus plan.

I flew over 500k miles with the United group of affiliates over a 4 year period, and was treated very well by the airline (for the most part). I reaped the benefits of that for quite a while until the miles ran out...

Ric
03-26-2007, 01:57 PM
GM card here.... it's so cool to get a couple of K off a final price of a new car at the dealership!

I never knew there was a maximum redeemable amount on a new car til this year, but still a couple of thousand is a couple of thousand