PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2 @ 43 Off - Please explain

bjm300zx
03-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi, for myself and any other newbies, waht doe this mean? Thanks.

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2007, 03:47 PM
It means your pretty good!8p

1 and a 1/2 bouys out of a total of 6 with a 75' foot rope shortened by 43'.

here is a link for these questions and more regarding slalom.

Welcome!

http://waterski.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=waterski&cdn=sports&tm=7&gps=118_408_966_523&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.iwsf.com/rules2000/rules01.htm

BriEOD
03-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Bob,

Heard you only got 1 buoy at 43 off. What gives.

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Don't the gates count as two?:D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Bob,

Heard you only got 1 buoy at 43 off. What gives.
hey Bri, between me and you......ummmm.....Hoosier thinks that his empty beer cans are tournament record capable buoys.....

BriEOD
03-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Don't the gates count as two?:D
Don't I wish!!!!

BriEOD
03-25-2007, 09:08 PM
hey Bri, between me and you......ummmm.....Hoosier thinks that his empty beer cans are tournament record capable buoys.....
Don't spoil it for him Don.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Don't spoil it for him Don.
Sorry Bri, your right. :o

Hoosier, never mind what I said. You just hang in there partner, your special!:) Keep rounding those "buoys".

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
It's more fun drinking the beers, throwing the empties in the lake and watching Brian ski around them! Fixed courses are for *******! Random can courses are the future of waterskiing!;)

JohnE
03-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Fixed courses are for *******! Random can courses are the future of waterskiing!;)

Past and present, too.:rolleyes:

Ric
03-26-2007, 07:23 AM
this is a run that is left for pros like me
do not try this yourself

Harvey
03-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Here's a follow up question. How do you score a 1/2 buoy? I use to ski but never scored or cared how to.

rodltg2
03-26-2007, 01:04 PM
www.usawaterski.com

Ric
03-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Here's a follow up question. How do you score a 1/2 buoy? I use to ski but never scored or cared how to. it's when your fin cut's the bouy in half. It's rare, like robin-hooding an arrow, but it's worth a half point for style.

rodltg2
03-26-2007, 01:07 PM
http://www.usawaterski.com/pages/divisions/3event/2007AWSARuleBook.pdf

Jesus_Freak
03-26-2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.intleague.com/divisions/slrules.html

Oh well, Rod beat me to it....but this works also.

shepherd
03-26-2007, 01:44 PM
A 1/2 buoy is when you get around the buoy but don't make it back to the wake.

A 1/4 buoy is when you make it past the buoy but don't quite get around it.

An 1/8 buoy is when your body hits the buoy before your ski gets to it.

Now I'll go check Rod's link to see how many I got right...

Hoosier Bob
03-26-2007, 08:25 PM
I am guessing all but the 1/8 bouy!:D I wish Mono worked the same way! I caught it in the 9th grade and I was no where near the wake! Had I only been credited the 1/8 Mono I deserved I would have been better much sooner!:o

I am sure a lot of STD's work in this fashion!A 1/2 buoy is when you get around the buoy but don't make it back to the wake.

A 1/4 buoy is when you make it past the buoy but don't quite get around it.

An 1/8 buoy is when your body hits the buoy before your ski gets to it.

Now I'll go check Rod's link to see how many I got right...

Hoosier Bob
03-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Nice chart!:D

BriEOD
03-26-2007, 09:09 PM
I am guessing all but the 1/8 bouy!:D I wish Mono worked the same way! I caught it in the 9th grade and I was no where near the wake! Had I only been credited the 1/8 Mono I deserved I would have been better much sooner!:o

I am sure a lot of STD's work in this fashion!
Where do you come up with this BS?

Hoosier Bob
03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Wow! You were not thinking the exact same thing? Am I alone on this one?:confused: 8p Where do you come up with this BS?

BriEOD
03-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Am I alone on this one?:confused: 8p
As in most things I suspect. ;)

Hoosier Bob
03-26-2007, 09:21 PM
That makes me think of another joke!:D As in most things I suspect. ;)

Harvey
03-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Ok so I get 1/4 point if I cross the buoy plane (perpendicular to the boat path) but don't cross back over the buoy line (parallel with boat path). I get a 1/2 point if I cross the buoy line (parallel with the boat path) but I don't make it back to the wake. I get a full point if I round the buoy and stand it up all the way through the wake. I think I get how to score it now. Thanks for the help guys.

Ric
03-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Ok so I get 1/4 point if I cross the buoy plane (perpendicular to the boat path) but don't cross back over the buoy line (parallel with boat path). I get a 1/2 point if I cross the buoy line (parallel with the boat path) but I don't make it back to the wake. I get a full point if I round the buoy and stand it up all the way through the wake. I think I get how to score it now. Thanks for the help guys. add one thing to that statement... you must have control of the ski handle at any of these points

Harvey
03-27-2007, 06:10 PM
add one thing to that statement... you must have control of the ski handle at any of these points

Now I just have to find someone with a course in North Texas who will let me try it on a wakeboard at 36 mph at 43 off!!! I am kidding but I would be interested to see if I could cut buoys on a wakeboard. I bet I could.

André
03-27-2007, 06:58 PM
add one thing to that statement... you must have control of the ski handle at any of these points
I think i read something on Nicholl's site about that rule and that they add "...and under the pull from the boat."
Meaning no slack line skiing back to the boatpath and dropping the handle.
Can someone confirm that?:confused:

BriEOD
03-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Now I just have to find someone with a course in North Texas who will let me try it on a wakeboard at 36 mph at 43 off!!! I am kidding but I would be interested to see if I could cut buoys on a wakeboard. I bet I could.
Saw in WaterSki Mag that Mike Fererra trains wakeboarders by having them run the slalom course at the cable park in Orlando. Supposedly it helps their edging.

shepherd
03-27-2007, 10:29 PM
I am kidding but I would be interested to see if I could cut buoys on a wakeboard. I bet I could.

Oh God..... no........ :(
(sorry, but I've seen this before a couple times, while I was entering from the other end :mad: )

#47of100TeamMC
03-28-2007, 08:57 AM
I think i read something on Nicholl's site about that rule and that they add "...and under the pull from the boat."

I believe that is Incorrect...

Check out this video of Chris Parrish at the Malibu Open last year. He wins with 3@41off and he clearly has slack going back to the wake to complete the 3.

http://www.schnitzskis.com/images/CHRIS_PARRISH_2005_MALIBU_OPEN_FINAL_RUNOFF.wmv

#47of100TeamMC
03-28-2007, 09:01 AM
This might be better proof.

This is Chris Parrish with a FULL 4@41off from the Masters.

http://www.schnitzskis.com/images/Chris_Parrish_-_4_41_off_-_2005_Masters_-_Prelim_s_1.wmv

Jesus_Freak
03-28-2007, 09:08 AM
This might be better proof.

This is Chris Parrish with a FULL 4@41off from the Masters.

http://www.schnitzskis.com/images/Chris_Parrish_-_4_41_off_-_2005_Masters_-_Prelim_s_1.wmv

"Edged in Water" shows a complete 41' off (supposedly) pass for Parrish.

pilot02
03-28-2007, 09:28 AM

A good friend of mine runs it at 19.1mph (his normal wakeboard speeed) behind my boat on his wakeboard with no problem..

hacker
03-28-2007, 11:04 AM

I believe that is Incorrect...

Check out this video of Chris Parrish at the Malibu Open last year. He wins with 3@41off and he clearly has slack going back to the wake to complete the 3.

http://www.schnitzskis.com/images/CHRIS_PARRISH_2005_MALIBU_OPEN_FINAL_RUNOFF.wmv

New rule for 2007:

10.12 Points for Buoys

A buoy not missed is credited as follows up to the point of the first miss:

(a) ¼ point when the skier crosses the C-D and X-Y lines in skiing position (Rule

8.07) before the buoy to be rounded (See Slalom Scoring Diagram in the

Appendix); however, if the skier passes on the inside of the buoy, he shall

not receive the ¼ point.

(b) ½ point when the skier has re-crossed the C-D line in skiing position before

the level of the next buoy or end gate.

(c) 1 point when the skier has crossed the line of the gate buoys before passing

the level of the next buoy (or the end gate in the case of the final buoy)

with a tight line under the power of the boat without falling.

I believe that this was dictated by the IWSF so it should be the same in Canada.

#47of100TeamMC
03-28-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm just not sure I understand why it matters if the line is tight and under pull from the boat... if you made it back to the boat guide buoy line with handle in your hand. How will they know to give you a 1/2 or 1/4 point? will they have to look at slow motion video then to see at what exact point the line went slack?

If you get slack in your rope while you round the buoy will they deduct 1/4 point because you didn't have the rope Tight and under pull from the boat at that point in time?

I can see it now... Parrish makes 5.75 buoys at 41. cuz he had slack around 3ball! I mean come on!

In addition... have you seen the top guys run all 6 buoys... after 6ball, I'd say 100% of the time, the line is slack until after they pass through the end gate... it's impossible to be under pull from the boat when they are going that fast, and have to hold up to pass through the end gate... is there going to be an exception then to the rule for between 6ball and the gates?

Jesus_Freak
03-28-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm just not sure I understand why it matters if the line is tight and under pull from the boat... if you made it back to the boat guide buoy line with handle in your hand. How will they know to give you a 1/2 or 1/4 point? will they have to look at slow motion video then to see at what exact point the line went slack?

If you get slack in your rope while you round the buoy will they deduct 1/4 point because you didn't have the rope Tight and under pull from the boat at that point in time?

I can see it now... Parrish makes 5.75 buoys at 41. cuz he had slack around 3ball! I mean come on!

In addition... have you seen the top guys run all 6 buoys... after 6ball, I'd say 100% of the time, the line is slack until after they pass through the end gate... it's impossible to be under pull from the boat when they are going that fast, and have to hold up to pass through the end gate... is there going to be an exception then to the rule for between 6ball and the gates?

Agreed.

In addition, there are degrees of "slackness" and "tightness" in the rope. Are we going to start using tension gauges? :)

Ric
03-28-2007, 01:23 PM
time to tighten up around here!

#47of100TeamMC
03-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Agreed.

In addition, there are degrees of "slackness" and "tightness" in the rope. Are we going to start using tension gauges? :)

Now there's an Idea!
... Maybe an addition to the next version of PP with the rope Switch!

Hoosier Bob
03-28-2007, 09:34 PM
I scored 8 balls one time early in my course life! I do not know if that has been accomplished since. May have been some of the most pain I have ever experienced!:o

BriEOD
03-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Care to elaborate Bobby?

Hoosier Bob
03-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Gottem' both!:o Care to elaborate Bobby?

Actually I only received credit for seven! rear toe plate back then. Ski slipped and split the gates so to speak! Looked like a "Ping Pong" paddle for a week! Not one of my better days!

Monte
03-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Gottem' both!:o

Actually I only received credit for seven! rear toe plate back then. Ski slipped and split the gates so to speak! Looked like a "Ping Pong" paddle for a week! Not one of my better days!

Tough place to curl up and breathe... huh?:smile:

hacker
03-29-2007, 10:13 AM

Can't answer all of your questions....

Here is a situation to consider:

Skier A goes around 3 ball with a ton of slack. He has no chance at 4 ball, rodeo's the slack, gets back to the wake and throws the handle. Score - 3@**off

Skier B goes around 3 ball in great shape, sets his edge and is heading for 4 ball, comes off the 2nd wake and goes OTF.
Score - 3@**off

Who was having the better run?

beef
03-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Skier A goes around 3 ball with a ton of slack. He has no chance at 4 ball, rodeo's the slack, gets back to the wake and throws the handle. Score - 3@**off

Skier B goes around 3 ball in great shape, sets his edge and is heading for 4 ball, comes off the 2nd wake and goes OTF.
Score - 3@**off

I see your point. Obviously skier B is in better shape, and the one with even a slim chance at 4 ball. My problem with the seemingly loose interpretation of the new rule is: if pretty counts, I'm in trouble. It seems to me that both skiers did indeed round 3 ball and get back to the wake - mission accomplished, even if fugly. In some cases, slack line will be a very subjective call. My interpretation of the new rule indicates that the skier must be under the power of the boat by the next set of boat guides. Take the hit, wreck yer back, and get the ball?

#47of100TeamMC
03-29-2007, 10:49 AM

Score - 3@**off

They were both having equal runs! cuz they both scored 3buoys. There is No points for style in slalom. If you want style points you should be tricking instead! Scoring on form is super judgemental and subject to ones own opinion. Slalom is not based on form. It is scored on your ability to ski around buoys.

Ric
03-29-2007, 11:32 AM
when you read the rule..... the part about the skiers body not passing inside the bouy line... that's alot left for interpretation if someone wanted to argue it, no?