PDA

View Full Version : Winch and strap replacements

JR34
03-25-2007, 11:29 AM
I swapped out my 1300 lb winch with a new 1400 lb one and replaced the exiting 6 foot strap with a 20 foot one.

I have a 2001 Prostar 190. Just curious what other people's setups are on winch capacity and strap length. It made sense to have a strap closer to the length of the trailer....in case of the boat was not working for some reason but wondered if I am mising something with the stock one (I think) being so short.

JKTX21
03-25-2007, 12:03 PM
I agree with you. I replaced my short strap last summer with one as long as the trailer. I guess you could always keep the short strap, if you have one, and put your trailer in deep in order to get the boat on.... but it's such an easy thing to swap out.

pjwalnuts
03-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Get a longer strap. I have a '02 x7 and the strap is about the length of the trailer. I comes in real handy because we're on a tidal river and sometimes have to pull out on low tide and you need a longer strap. A friend has a prostar 205 and the strap on his is only about 5 feet. Somtimes its a problem. Look at it this way, the winch will hold a longer strap and its not that much more expensive for a longer one so why not get it incase you ever do need it.

TMCNo1
03-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Original '89 winch with a new long strap replaced 15 years ago and I had a Polished S/S hook sewn on the end and the strap was doubled up and sewn the first 6' behind the hook for wear protection on the spool.

JR34
03-25-2007, 09:31 PM
winch capacities? I assume since stock was 1300 lb that 1400 lb is sufficient but what is formula to use in picking winch? Isn't a prostar 190 like 2300 lbs?

JKTX21
03-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Original '89 winch with a new long strap replaced 15 years ago and I had a Polished S/S hook sewn on the end and the strap was doubled up and sewn the first 6' behind the hook for wear protection on the spool.

Again, no detail left unchecked by Harold!

I don't know how many lbs. my winch is... enough to pull the boat the last 6 inches while floating on the trailer.

TMCNo1
03-25-2007, 10:19 PM
winch capacities? I assume since stock was 1300 lb that 1400 lb is sufficient but what is formula to use in picking winch? Isn't a prostar 190 like 2300 lbs?

The weight used on the winch classification is not that of the weight of the boat. Maybe someone has the proper words to describe what the weight measurements represent, I just don't have that info at my disposal.

TMCNo1
03-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Again, no detail left unchecked by Harold!

I don't know how many lbs. my winch is... enough to pull the boat the last 6 inches while floating on the trailer.

I had a strap break on a previous boat that was stored outside from the wear and exposure. I guess the material broke down over a period of time and most straps usually break in the first 3 or 4 feet back from the hook, not where it attaches to the spool or in the spool, so this type cover helped cure the exposure problem,

onewheat
03-25-2007, 10:38 PM
The weight used on the winch classification is not that of the weight of the boat. Maybe someone has the proper words to describe what the weight measurements represent, I just don't have that info at my disposal.

Isn't it that you are pulling the boat, not lifting it. It takes a lot less capacity to pull a boat than to lift it. You only need the capacity to overcome the friction of the bunks on the hull, not enough capacity to lift a boat in the air, right?

TMCNo1
03-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Isn't it that you are pulling the boat, not lifting it. It takes a lot less capacity to pull a boat than to lift it. You only need the capacity to overcome the friction of the bunks on the hull, not enough capacity to lift a boat in the air, right?

Right! I have seen a selection chart in a marine catalogue somewhere, that shows the proper weight winch for boat weights, but can't find it, sorry.

JKTX21
03-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I had a strap break on a previous boat that was stored outside from the wear and exposure. I guess the material broke down over a period of time and most straps usually break in the first 3 or 4 feet back from the hook, not where it attaches to the spool or in the spool, so this type cover helped cure the exposure problem,

I think it is also attributable to winching the boat down as tight as it will go, then pulling it out of the water... the rear of the boat then drops, placing even more stress on the strap. I usually do it this way, but as soon as I'm clear of the water, I release the tension on the strap. I figure the boat decides to fall off the trailer, an inch of tension isn't going to keep it on. If you are one of the lucky ones with a tow-bar, this shouldn't be a problem.

TMCNo1
03-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I think it is also attributable to winching the boat down as tight as it will go, then pulling it out of the water... the rear of the boat then drops, placing even more stress on the strap. I usually do it this way, but as soon as I'm clear of the water, I release the tension on the strap. I figure the boat decides to fall off the trailer, an inch of tension isn't going to keep it on. If you are one of the lucky ones with a tow-bar, this shouldn't be a problem.
You are correct about not tightening the strap before pulling the boat out of the water.
With our Boat Buddy, as soon as it latches, I install the safety cable and the strap, but leave the strap loose till we get to the tiedown area, where I barely slam on the breaks for the boat to slide forward all the way, then just barely snug up the strap to keep the boweye from putting any tension on the pin in the Boat Buddy should the boat slide back just a little bit. It's worked beautiful that way for 10 years now.

JR34
03-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys. If anyone finds that winch/boat weight guidelines I would interested in seeing that.

JKTX21
03-27-2007, 04:07 PM
It's worked beautiful that way for 10 years now.

Wait, you bought your boat when it was ten years old? Was it in great condition when you bought it? I'm interested to hear.

TMCNo1
03-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Wait, you bought your boat when it was ten years old? Was it in great condition when you bought it? I'm interested to hear.
Ordered it and took delivery of it new in March 2, 1989. rebuilt the trailer in April, 1997, when the Boat Buddy and Disc brakes were added and it has worked with the Boat Buddy for the last 10 years, before then, we had the swing up bow bar, that worked differently with the winch/strap.