PDA

View Full Version : lubricants that can be detrimental to rubber impellers.....

atlfootr
03-24-2007, 08:51 PM
I heard that some lubricants can be detrimental to rubber impellers, I just bought an impeller of my Outboard today .... this is a great topic! :)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2007, 08:57 PM
I hope KY doesn't deteriorate rubber......:rolleyes:

bigmac
03-24-2007, 09:03 PM
I heard that some lubricants can be detrimental to rubber impellers, I just bought an impeller of my Outboard today .... this is a great topic! :)All petoleum products will dissolve rubber - some faster than others.

No question the best impeller lubricant is beef fat tallow.

No, wait, I meant food-grade silicone oil or grease. Johnson puts the stuff up in little tubelets and sells them along with their impellers. You can buy some yourself..

bigmac
03-24-2007, 09:06 PM
I hope KY doesn't deteriorate rubber......:rolleyes:

:eek3: Me too...the gloves I use at work are latex...:eek3:

atlfootr
03-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Johnson puts the stuff up in little tubelets and sells them along with their impellersI guess I could, but I'm a YAHMAHA MAN myself :D

WilliM1940
03-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Don't think you really have to worry about it, if before you start your engine you detach the raw water hose and shove a garden hose in it and clamp it shut, turn the water supply on untill water comes out the exhaust, there should be enough water to lube the impeller, no dry starts.

G-man
03-25-2007, 09:40 AM
100% food grade silicone spray avalable at dive stores

JohnnyB
03-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Food grade silicon spray.

Use it to lubricate the impeller.

I also use it as a rust-preventative storage coating on the engine blocks of all my toys.

TMCNo1
03-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Silicone or water based sex lube, anyone?

How hard can anyone make out something so simple. Any lubricant, KY, Vasoline, grease, motor oil, cooking spray, spray silicone, Go-JO, chicken fat, 303, ArmorAll, hog lard, Crisco, whatever, will be washed away within minutes after the boat is cranked and the pump is working. All you are using a lubricant for is to help get the impeller installed and buttoned up to use, then the water does the lubricating after that. I have always rubbed a light coat of Lubrimatic Marine Corrosion Control and Wheel Bearing Grease prior to installing or if in the middle of the lake, on my boat or someone elses, Go-Jo in a small, small baby food jar that I also use to clean up my hands after the operation.

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Jahnson (Johnson!)is who makes the impellor Yahmaha man!8p

How is she runnin Footer? I had not heard that she was back, sorry!:o I guess I could, but I'm a YAHMAHA MAN myself :D

JohnnyB
03-25-2007, 02:53 PM

How hard can anyone make out something so simple. Any lubricant, KY, Vasoline, grease, motor oil, cooking spray, spray silicone, Go-JO, chicken fat, 303, ArmorAll, hog lard, Crisco, whatever, will be washed away within minutes after the boat is cranked and the pump is working. All you are using a lubricant for is to help get the impeller installed and buttoned up to use, then the water does the lubricating after that. I have always rubbed Lubrimatic Anti-Corrosion Wheel Bearing grease prior to installing.

There have been many times where I've gotten my boat ready late at night on some weeknight in the garage.....reinstalled hoses, impeller, battery, prop, etc but the boat may sit for up to a week before putting the fake a lake on it and turning the key. You're correct in that if you are going to install your impeller and then start your boat in the water soon after, it is a "don't care" on the lube.

bigmac
03-25-2007, 03:28 PM

How hard can anyone make out something so simple. Any lubricant, KY, Vasoline, grease, motor oil, cooking spray, spray silicone, Go-JO, chicken fat, 303, ArmorAll, hog lard, Crisco, whatever, will be washed away within minutes after the boat is cranked and the pump is working. All you are using a lubricant for is to help get the impeller installed and buttoned up to use, then the water does the lubricating after that. I have always rubbed Lubrimatic Anti-Corrosion Wheel Bearing grease prior to installing.I don't completely disagree - but it's true that after changing the impeller with the system drained of water, that first start at the beginning of the season is likely to be a dry start. Nice to have some persistent lube on it for that first start.

Anyway, the petroleum-damaging-rubber concept is perhaps more meaningful relative to MasterCraft's recommendations that the impeller be removed at the end of each season, lubed with vasoline, and stored in a plastic bag for the off-season. Vasoline can damage rubber, so personally, I'm a big fan of food grade silicone, which can't.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2007, 03:34 PM
How hard can anyone make out something so simple.
Thats the same thing I think about TEAK...8p

TMCNo1
03-25-2007, 06:21 PM

To me teak is simple, but I guess I'm simple anyway!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2007, 11:09 PM
To me teak is simple, but I guess I'm simple anyway!
That's precisely what I was sayin'......
TMCNo1][/SIZE]
How hard can anyone make out something so simple.