PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Carport

ski_king
01-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Does anybody have any experience with this type of Canopy w/Sidewalls - 10'8" x 20'?

I have been thinking of getting one for my camp to keep the weather off the boat when I have it there during the summer months.
The area I park my boat, when not in use has a wild cherry tree right over it and I am getting tired of cleaning the bird $hi+ off of my new cover, trailer, etc.

My plan would be to add some type of concrete anchor for each support. I know high winds can be a problem with these and at least one person I know who used one for there SUV now has a dent and a scratch from when the wind blew it over.

In the off season either the cover would come off, or maybe disassemble and store the entire thing indoors.

price is $200

G-man
01-19-2005, 01:12 PM
I have one without the sides. I strongly recomend tieing each leg down because wind tends to come under the top and wants to push up. The only downside is when snow comes in you need to get it off before it builds up. Here in Texas that's about twice a year. Having something over your boat or empty trailer sure makes them last longer.

Lance
01-19-2005, 01:23 PM
I have used one (well actually one of two) of these for my boat for about 6 years. It works pretty well but has had a few problems as you elude to. When I first put it up I didn't think too hard about the wind and sure enough about a month after it was up a big thunderstorm came through and blew it clean off the boat. Fortunately the only damage was a rip in the tarp where one of the poles rubbed along the windshield edge (whew... that was lucky). To keep it on the ground after that I then anchored each post to a concrete paver (12" x 12") using a lead shield. After awhile I got to thinking about the strength of the wind and the size of the kite and concluded that maybe it would still left off and concluded I really didn't want 12" pavers flying around so removed them. I now just have a line hanging down from the peak of the roof in front and back and when the MC is in I simply tie this off to the lift ring in back and the trailer tongue in front and have never had a problem with it moving (although it is one more step in the process).

The second problem I had was that I use it year round and about 3 years ago we got nearly two feet of wet snow over a long weekend which was just too much. I wasnt there to see it collapse or even to know how long it lasted but when it went down it appeared to have gone down gracefully as there wasn't any damage to the boat (although the frame was a total loss). I replaced it with another which has lasted since.

Bottom line is that I have used these for several years and say they are worth their cost especially if you are looking for summer use only. I like it because in the summer I can leave the boat uncovered so it can dry out yet it is covered to prevent it from getting wet in rain and to prevent leaves and stuff blowing in. Nevertheless, I do look forward to the day that I have either a boathouse or a regular garage.

kpickett
01-19-2005, 02:02 PM
I just put one of these tents up last month. I wanted to build a permanent carport, but the Forest Service won't let us build anything on the property. We get really strong winds (50+ mph), so I was worried about the thing flying away. I bought the auger anchor kit and tied each leg down to these an anchor. It's held up well so far, even in big storms. I couldn't be happier. We don't get a lot of snow, but it held up under 5 or 6 inches just fine.

I bought mine at Kragen for under a hundred bucks. Costco has a whole kit with side curtains and front zip for about $170. Just make sure you anchor it well.

captkidd
01-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I built a homemade version of one of these several years ago. I used 2x4's and PVC pipe for the frame, and then bought a huge blue tarp for the shelter; I even made two hinged front doors using 1x4's and chicken wire. The frame was heavy enough that it didn't require anchors. It worked great, kept the rain, snow and sun off my boat, but looked rather tacky. At the time I couldn't find anything similar, but if you can find one for $200 or less I would definitely go that route. It looks much nicer, and that's not much to pay in order to protect your investment.

EricB
01-19-2005, 02:22 PM
I use one of the rounded top shelters for winter storage. It costs 2X as much but has paid for itself in saving the rental storage costs. The round tops are snow rated, the white garage style (like shown) are not. For summer use the style you are looking at would work just fine.

André
01-19-2005, 06:01 PM
No problems with my set up.It came with 4 anchors and i did put 12 more.The dawn thing looks very fragile until you tied the last strap then it's very stong!
...And YES the boat is under there!

iokua
01-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Looks like you've got some good replies; here's another one anyway.

I use one year round for my tow vehicle. It sits on gravel and I found the best way to anchor is two methods: On both sides (length wise) I have spliced 2x12's end to end (or you could just get some 20' long 2x12's), laid them flat, and mounted the feet of the canopy to those. This helps to "square" all the legs. Otherwise, all the legs are a pain to get perfectly square when they are all independent. On one side I then attached railroad ties to the 2x12's (2ea), and on the other, drove some rebar (bent in big U shapes) into the ground, then tied the ends of the canopy off with nylon rope. The last 2 Winter's we've had freezing rain, the worst being almost 1 inch thick - it lasted but I had to knock the ice off when it got about 1/4" thick - didn't want to take any chances. Winds have also tested it with the worst being 30-40mph sustained with gusts to almost 60mph. This year, the sustained wind actually started to rip one of the sides off, so it had to be removed; but I've had it for probably the last 5-6 years.

Let me know if I've thoroughly confused you.

jimmer2880
01-20-2005, 06:15 AM
I have used 2 from Early May till late September for ~7 years. Like most have said... tie each leg down! Mine have been through a hand-full of "tropical storms" that have come through MD. Some of my poles have a very slight bend, but are still plenty use'able.

The one I use for my boat doesn't have sides. I cut the poles down so that there is 2" of clearance between the top of the trailer guides & the tarp. This gives a really nice, snug fit. Before I had a lift dock, my baby stayed in there all summer, almost always without a cover since it was drying out.

My neighbor tied each of his legs to a concrete block. That didn't work very well (think the kite post from an earlier poster)

ski_king
01-20-2005, 07:59 AM
Thank you for all your responses!
I think I will get one after checking around some more. So far the one I have shown a picture of (Sam's Club) looks like the one I will go with.
I am still deciding on which way I will anchor it down, I got a lot of good ideas from you guys.

Mag_Red
01-20-2005, 10:00 AM
:uglyhamme Be a Man! You know you really want one like this........................... :D .......................http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/277DSCF0010.jpg

ski_king
01-20-2005, 10:11 AM
:uglyhamme Be a Man! You know you really want one like this........................... :D .......................
Yor right Mag, I would love to have one like that. But, I have a year to year lease on the property and would hate to build it, just to tear it down if I lost the lease. Between my dad and I we have leased the same piece of property since 1969, but its ownership changed and its future is unsure. I may be looking for a new camp in a year or 2.

Mag_Red
01-20-2005, 10:25 AM
That sucks about having to find a new camp! Hard to find a nice camp around these parts along the Ohio. I looked really hard at these temporary shelters, and almost pulled the trigger, but I kept having flash-backs of my snow ladden, shade canopy that collapsed last year :eek:

SD190EVO
01-20-2005, 05:07 PM
I purchased mine from Sams. It has been up for four years now I think in Colorado with high winds and heavy snow. I always go out during snow storms and hit the underside of the roof with a broom to kick the snow off. One of our local dealers who uses these forgot to do that on our big storm last year and the roof finally caved in and broke a windsheild!

I used some long metal stakes that concrete guys use to form up curbs and hammered them in the ground. Then I purchased about 100' of 1/8 cable from Lowes and bunch of clamps. I 'laced' the cable up and down from the tubes to keep it from blowing away. I could care less if my $200 cover blows away but I didnt want it to because it could lift up possibly and the metal poles could put a serious booger on the boat.

So far it has worked awesome. I was considering building a permanent structure but it has lasted so long for so cheap I am thinking about just getting another when the white tarp material finally goes. By the way it looks, I still have another season if not two left in her.

SD190EVO
01-20-2005, 05:09 PM
One thing I forgot to mention. I wish it was a bit taller because I have to fold the tower (even my mini-tower) to get it in. Once in, I can put it back up but it would be nice to not have to do that step.