PDA

View Full Version : Would you haul your boat like this???????

suedv
03-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Saw this in an advertisement today and it just looked wrong to me. Would you haul your boat and a truck this way behind a Class A RV?

shepherd
03-23-2007, 09:19 PM
My Mastercraft? No. If the boat in the pic was my boat, well.............................................. .......................................no. :rolleyes:

JohnnyB
03-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I saw one like that yesterday except that the whole boat was elevated, not just the back end.

It would make me uneasy seeing my MC on the 2nd story of a trailer or at an angle like that.

Monte
03-23-2007, 09:51 PM
That just ain't right..........................................

bigmac
03-23-2007, 10:19 PM
I guess I'd sure want to make sure the bilge was well-drained first.

TMCNo1
03-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Someone's mama dropped them on their head when they were young, if ya ask me!

Jerseydave
03-23-2007, 10:32 PM
That's a light-weight aluminum boat, but here's 2 questions:

1) How well does the fuel stay in the gas tank without running out of the vent opening.
2) Are those small blue tie-down straps the only thing keeping that boat from going forward into the RV?

The first DD inboard I purchased was delivered sitting on its own trailer ON TOP of a chevy crew cab dually with a rack-type structure on top on it. He was also pulling a 27' go-fast boat behind the truck! Came from Wisconsin to NJ like that, driver said he got 4 mpg (454 in truck).
They still deliver boats that way today.

TX.X-30 fan
03-23-2007, 11:23 PM
I Don't Know About Ya'll But That Phanton Is A Sweet Looking Boat :D :D :D :D

Monte
03-23-2007, 11:35 PM
I Don't Know About Ya'll But That Phanton Is A Sweet Looking Boat

You are breaking rules................;) :rolleyes: I still don't get it with the tilt-the-boat- forwad contraption..........:noface:

suedv
03-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Really now I don't know which I would worry about the most if it was my rig. The boat getting wrecked sliding into the RV or the RV getting ruined by the boat sliding into it. :D

JKTX21
03-24-2007, 12:30 AM
I dunno, I never understood the motor-home RV concept. Wouldn't it be easier to just tow the RV with the truck, versus towing the truck with the RV?

Monte
03-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Really now I don't know which I would worry about the most if it was my rig. The boat getting wrecked sliding into the RV or the RV getting ruined by the boat sliding into it. :D

I'm just seeing a boat being catapulted while flipping wildly through a motorhome....hmmmm......:noface:

JKTX21
03-24-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm just seeing a boat being catapulted while flipping wildly through a motorhome....hmmmm......:noface:

As long as it's not MY rv or MY MC!

Monte
03-24-2007, 12:50 AM
As long as it's not MY rv or MY MC!

It'd be a flippin mess......8p ...........

Doug G
03-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Ahhhhhh.... nope ... couldn't even get me drunk enough to think that is a good idea

Monte
03-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Ahhhhhh.... nope ... couldn't even get me drunk enough to think that is a good idea

Sad thing is Doug, somebody did............................:confused:

PendO
03-24-2007, 01:25 AM
you know when you see the guy with the I/O who doesn't trim it up when he takes it out of the water ... I'd like to see him try and launch the boat with the durango still on:)

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 01:26 AM
you know when you see the guy with the I/O who doesn't trim it up when he takes it out of the water ... I'd like to see him try and launch the boat with the durango still on:)

after some of the stories I've heard, and things I have seen first hand over the last year it truly wouldn't surprise me!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2007, 04:12 PM
What's the problem with that? Other than the Dodge's window is open and there is no cover on the boat.

Erk, How are the new MCs when they get delivered?

Sue, don't they allow tandem trailers by you?

BriEOD
03-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Looks pretty inovative to me. Gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Ric
03-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Really now I don't know which I would worry about the most if it was my rig. The boat getting wrecked sliding into the RV or the RV getting ruined by the boat sliding into it. :D I noticed you said nothing about whether or not the Dodge got ruined:D

erkoehler
03-26-2007, 10:57 AM
What's the problem with that? Other than the Dodge's window is open and there is no cover on the boat.

Erk, How are the new MCs when they get delivered?

The small boats get put on top of a pickup truck (190/197/x1) while the bigger boats are towed behind.

The trucking company, Belcher Trucking, is now switching most of its trucks over to roll back style trucks. This way you can haul two bigger boats.

Ric
03-26-2007, 11:37 AM
The small boats get put on top of a pickup truck (190/197/x1) while the bigger boats are towed behind.

The trucking company, Belcher Trucking, is now switching most of its trucks over to roll back style trucks. This way you can haul two bigger boats. sign of the times

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Saw this in an advertisement today and it just looked wrong to me. Would you haul your boat and a truck this way behind a Class A RV?
I wouldnt tow THAT boat any way!:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

OK, OK, I know I Know......

Sodar
03-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I would have no problem, towing a $20k aluminum boat like that.. Heck, three summers ago, I hauled a $900k offshore boat from San Diego to Long Beach, tilted like this one!!
http://www.mycotrailers.com/images/gallery/MTI_336.jpg

jrcarte78
03-27-2007, 01:47 PM
If that application fit what I needed and all the specs of the trailer matched or exceeded what I needed, I wouldn't have a problem using that contraption.

But, I agree with others that wouldn't it just be easier to tow the RV behind the truck instead of vice-versa?

J.R.

Jkelly
03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Someone's mama dropped them on their head when they were young, if ya ask me!

AMEN!!!!!!!

Doug G
03-27-2007, 02:42 PM
I would have no problem, towing a $20k aluminum boat like that.. Heck, three summers ago, I hauled a $900k offshore boat from San Diego to Long Beach, tilted like this one!!

I'll go out on a limb and guess that trailer was purpose built for that application and over engineered to give a safety factor to it. The one in question doesn't give me the same impression.

BTW SWEEEEETTTTTT looking setup!

Sodar
03-27-2007, 02:51 PM
I'll go out on a limb and guess that trailer was purpose built for that application and over engineered to give a safety factor to it. The one in question doesn't give me the same impression.

BTW SWEEEEETTTTTT looking setup!

Yeah, the trailer was engineered that way, with huge hydraulic rams to tilt the boat. There is actually a reason fo it too. These cats are so wide, that they are considered an oversized load and can only be transported between 7pm and 6am, so they tilt them, to get them under the the width limit, to ease transportation...

Yeah, this tilting forward thing is a bit scary!! I have seen an RV trailer before, that was essentially a 4-leg hydraulic car lift, welded to a flatbed car hauler. It was actually a pretty trick set-up, with an H2 on the flatbed and a bassboat above... just back the H2 off, hook it up to the trailer, lower the lift, so the boat is essentially sitting a top of flatbed and back it in the water!!!

River Rat
03-27-2007, 03:09 PM
There are a limited number of ways to take 3 vehicles on a camping trip, and this is one. Some people chose to pull tandem behind fifth wheels, while others like me chose to take 2 trucks. (my wife has no problems pulling the MC) My MC weights to much for me to pull tandem behind my fifth wheel. One day when Iím old and gray I may go with this set up to carry around a small jet boat for sight seeing at different lakes around the U.S. I think this is a great idea if it meets your needs.

Ric
03-27-2007, 03:13 PM
If that application fit what I needed and all the specs of the trailer matched or exceeded what I needed, I wouldn't have a problem using that contraption.

But, I agree with others that wouldn't it just be easier to tow the RV behind the truck instead of vice-versa?

J.R. JR, you and I have essentially the same avatar.. THat my friend is an inconvenient truth!

BearX1
03-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Bad form. A boat trailer is a pretty clean design, when used properly. However, by raising the rear of the boat, they have altered the function of the trailer, without properly altering the trailer itself. You definately would not want to tilt an inboard like that, as it would increase the chances of any captured water, in the exhuast, to flow into the manifold.

Doug G
03-27-2007, 03:56 PM
As compared to a helo ride eh? J/K That is a great point for after it is pulled out.

suedv
03-27-2007, 11:47 PM

Yep, we can have tandem trailers in Michigan.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Yep, we can have tandem trailers in Michigan.
I've seen some crazy contraptions to make that possible over by the dunes.;) Makes this thing look like nothin'...

jrcarte78
03-28-2007, 04:35 PM
JR, you and I have essentially the same avatar.. THat my friend is an inconvenient truth!

What you talkin' bout Willis!? :confused: :D

For as long as I can remember(atleast the last couple of weeks) you've had that SI cover as your avatar?

J.R.

BrianM
03-28-2007, 06:04 PM
I think I would prefer this configuration

http://www.rv.com/products/builtrailers.htm

River Rat
03-28-2007, 06:52 PM
I think I would prefer this configuration

http://www.rv.com/products/builtrailers.htm

now that is a kewl set up.....

PerryBpilot
03-29-2007, 08:59 PM