PDA

View Full Version : Dock Carpet

Sodar
03-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Over the winter, the wind has shredded and ripped the carpeting off our dock. What do you use for carpeting? I am tired of the grey astroturf we have and I was thinking of laying down some type of berber outdoor carpet , but was wondering where I could find it, or if you have any better suggestions??

east tx skier
03-23-2007, 01:02 PM
I used the Marine Olefin outdoor carpet on my bunks, jump seat, boat buddy, and a floorboard in our old boat. It holds up well. It's relatively cheap and is available in 6' wide rolls from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Monte
03-23-2007, 01:05 PM
http://carpetbuyershandbook.com/indoor_outdoor_carpet.htm

Sodar
03-23-2007, 01:10 PM
I used the Marine Olefin outdoor carpet on my bunks, jump seat, boat buddy, and a floorboard in our old boat. It holds up well. It's relatively cheap and is available in 6' wide rolls from Lowe's or Home Depot.

I wonder if that have it in anything wider.....

Sodar
03-23-2007, 01:11 PM
http://carpetbuyershandbook.com/indoor_outdoor_carpet.htm

Thanks for the info! Once I buy a place in Georgia, I will also know my local carpet stores! ;)

I was thinking something like this in grey....
http://carpetbuyershandbook.com/indoor_outdoor_carpet/indoor_outdoor_carpet.png

east tx skier
03-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I wonder if that have it in anything wider.....

Don't know. For my purposes, it's always been too wide.

east tx skier
03-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Also, they also have an outdoor carpet that's a little less on the fibrous side. Has little gray lines on it. Might work better on a dock.

Why are you carpeting the dock?

Sodar
03-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Also, they also have an outdoor carpet that's a little less on the fibrous side. Has little gray lines on it. Might work better on a dock.

Why are you carpeting the dock?

That is the way we set it up when we built it. It is nice for everyone to lay on and we ski right off our dock, so we use it to put on our skis, wakeboards, etc. The carpet is nice because it does not scratch the bottoms of the skis and stuff...

east tx skier
03-23-2007, 01:33 PM
I gotcha. I wondered when I posted that if you did dockstarts or anything.

sanjuan23
03-23-2007, 01:35 PM
That is the way we set it up when we built it. It is nice for everyone to lay on and we ski right off our dock, so we use it to put on our skis, wakeboards, etc. The carpet is nice because it does not scratch the bottoms of the skis and stuff...

No late night splinters in the knees either :cool:

Sorry cant stay on subject today not enough to keep me busy at work! :rolleyes:

Sodar
03-23-2007, 01:38 PM
I gotcha. I wondered when I posted that if you did dockstarts or anything.

I can do dock starts! I mastered them my freshman year of high school... I was soo stoked, because I did them before my dad could!! I have not tried one since I got my double bindings though... I think I will throw the old tow plate on the ski, just to see if I can still do them!!

Monte
03-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info! Once I buy a place in Georgia, I will also know my local carpet stores!

I was thinking something like this in grey....
http://carpetbuyershandbook.com/indoor_outdoor_carpet/indoor_outdoor_carpet.png

Anytime;) I guess I could have refined the google search to CA:( :) Good luck with it...

Sodar
03-23-2007, 01:40 PM
No late night splinters in the knees either :cool:

Sorry cant stay on subject today not enough to keep me busy at work! :rolleyes:

LOL :D LOL :D LOL

No, she prefered the sun pad of the boat....

Datdude
03-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Get pontoon boat carpet(from a boat dealer). That should come in 8' or 8.5' widths?

east tx skier
03-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I can do dock starts! I mastered them my freshman year of high school... I was soo stoked, because I did them before my dad could!! I have not tried one since I got my double bindings though... I think I will throw the old tow plate on the ski, just to see if I can still do them!!

Carpet's still good for those of us who don't put the skis on in the water. Our nearby ski school has a step down portion of their dock that is just above the water's surfaced that's carpeted so you can put your ski on there and hop into the water.

TX.X-30 fan
03-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Not that you want to replace the deck or dock, but I have seen a few of the composite decks and they look good. They would be perfect for that high moisture environment around lakes. No splinters but I'm sure you could get a carpet like burn.;)

east tx skier
03-23-2007, 06:56 PM
My father-in-law has a composite pier, deck, and dock. "Forever" ain't cheap though as they say. The posts and the rest of the substruction is treated lumber. Top horizontal surfaces of the treated lumber are covered with small pieces of tar paper to let the water run off.

TX.X-30 fan
03-23-2007, 07:53 PM
My father-in-law has a composite pier, deck, and dock. "Forever" ain't cheap though as they say. The posts and the rest of the substruction is treated lumber. Top horizontal surfaces of the treated lumber are covered with small pieces of tar paper to let the water run off.

So you are saying he likes the stuff? What is it like in the hot sun, does it stay cooler than treated lumber? I would think one could justify the added expense, the treated stuff these days in not what it used to be. The EPA outlawed the stuff they used to make .40 ground contact treated lumber with. I have never owned a dock, but the posts and framing members have a longer life than the decking (right).

betsy&david Harrison
03-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Hey Sodar, you can get that carpet at Lowe's. We have it in the lake house. We used to just put industrial carpet down on the old dock and that held up great until the wind took it during the winter. We put in a dock made of composite (I think teck deck) and it is sooooo nice. Doesn't get hot and no one has said anything about it scratching their skis.
We should be up and running by mid April. Do you want to come out then or later in the summer when it is hot and the water is warmer?

Sodar
03-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey Sodar, you can get that carpet at Lowe's. We have it in the lake house. We used to just put industrial carpet down on the old dock and that held up great until the wind took it during the winter. We put in a dock made of composite (I think teck deck) and it is sooooo nice. Doesn't get hot and no one has said anything about it scratching their skis.
We should be up and running by mid April. Do you want to come out then or later in the summer when it is hot and the water is warmer?

Composite decking is just not the right route right now, the place is up for sale (http://www.encinitasrealestate.com/Nav.aspx/Page=%2fListNow%2fProperty.aspx%3fPropertyID%3d122 4754%26%3d%26), so we do not want to dump TONS of money into it. We are just going to do carpet for the time being....

Betsy, I would like to come up a little later in the summer. The next couple months are going to be out of control for me.... hopefully once Memorial Day hits and my new boat is sitting in the driveway, everything will slow down a bit!!

betsy&david Harrison
03-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Sounds good. Just say when:D