PDA

View Full Version : What "modern" oil to run in a 91 Prostar 351 engine

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-23-2007, 12:15 PM
What modern engine oil should I run in my 91 prostar 351??:confused:

The manual calls for SAE30 oil, which I do run in it now. I run Quaker state HD 30 because thats what my local parts store carries. I was wondering if I should change to a different oil? should I run synthetic in it? if so, what brand and viscosity? any ideas? :confused:

any input is much appreciated!:)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-23-2007, 12:24 PM
OMG....An oil thread.....:cool: I've been waiting to see one of these....8p

Call your local Amsoil dealer.

BrianM
03-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Indmar now reccomends using 15w-40 in all of the engines it has built. I run the Rotella T (it meets all of the new Indmar specs) in the '97 and was running the same in the '88.

TMCNo1
03-23-2007, 12:34 PM
UMP, check out this current thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15012

Workin' 4 Toys
03-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I have a question to ask.
Have you had any problems with the oil you have been using?

03-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Nope, just wondering if I should change the type of oil. Ya know, if there are any better oils out on the market to use.:confused:

03-23-2007, 12:47 PM
OMG....An oil thread.....:cool: I've been waiting to see one of these....

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :D

east tx skier
03-23-2007, 12:52 PM

Probably the best question to ask. And as BriEOD is constantly reminding me, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

That said ... UMP, for what it's worth, since all of Indmar's recommendations on paper seem to relate to their newer chevy 350 engines, I called Indmar a few years ago and asked them specifically what they recommended for my early 90s 351W. The answer was Pennzoil Marine 15W40 or something that met those specs.

Now, as has been mentioned, brand isn't necessarily important so long as it meets the recommended specs. But since I can pick that stuff up at WalMart easily, and it's exactly what they recommended, that's what I use.

pram
03-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I am running the Rotella T as per the advice of the fine personnel on this site Ump, seems to be good.

03-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the help. I have been advised by an Indmar representative that I can run either SAE30 or 15w40 in my engine. He said either will do just fine. :)

thanks again!:)

TRBenj
03-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks for all the help. I have been advised by an Indmar representative that I can run either SAE30 or 15w40 in my engine. He said either will do just fine. :)

Another vote for Rotella 15w40 here in my 351w.

As Bigmac will tell you, even more important is your choice of oil filter. Make sure you get a quality unit- Motorcraft, Wix (NAPA), and Purolator are all good brands. Stay away from Fram and Pennzoil.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Nope, just wondering if I should change the type of oil. Ya know, if there are any better oils out on the market to use.:confused:
I know, jus' sayin'....8p

Now, if I had your boat, and you were payin' for the oil, I'd use Amsoil, again....Jus' Sayin'.....;)

Prostar Rich
03-23-2007, 02:27 PM
The rep that you spoke is correct. I have a 1990 prostar 190 that I have owned since it was new. I always run SAE30 oil. Just make sure that you change the oil on a regular basis. That is the real important part changing your oil on a regualr basis with a quality oil filter. Do it yourself and save your self $$ over having a marina do it. You will know that it will be done right and not overfilled or having the filter torqued on too tight. Believe it or not I have seen both of those problems on friends boats who had them serviced by marinas/dealers.

Prostar Rich

Kevin 89MC
03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
UMP, FWIW I've run Valvoline 10W-30 in my boat for the 10 years I've owned it, based on the recommendation of the local MC head mechanic (at the time). I've not had any problems. I change it every fall. The boat does get the occasional cold weather run (~40 degrees one time for a late winterization), so that's mainly why I stick with 10-30. I may switch to 15-40 next year.
I have run a Fram filter on it the last few seasons, mainly for the convenience of the anti-slip coating they put on them. After reading here, I may re-think my filter brand. I'll have to do some research!
Kevin

Prostar Rich
03-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Here is a link to an engine oil forum. Lots of reading

http://themotoroilsite.com/forums/

Prostar Rich

bigmac
03-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Oil-related engine failures are rare, but they're usually catastrophic. People post that the oil they've used for the last xx years hasn't caused any problems, but they always forget to add the "...yet...". The truth is that, relative to oil performance, an engine will run great right up until the day that it totally hatches. There just isn't much in between. The fact that an engine is running fine right now on used vasoline doesn't mean that it won't be a pile of molten iron tomorrow...

...just sayin'...

east tx skier
03-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Oil-related engine failures are rare, but they're usually catastrophic. People post that the oil they've used for the last xx years hasn't caused any problems, but they always forget to add the "...yet...". The truth is that, relative to oil performance, an engine will run great right up until the day that it totally hatches. There just isn't much in between. The fact that an engine is running fine right now on used vasoline doesn't mean that it won't be a pile of molten iron tomorrow...

...just sayin'...

... unless you use Pennzoil, of course! ;)

bigmac
03-23-2007, 04:52 PM

No...I mentioned "used vasoline..."

:D

André
03-23-2007, 06:40 PM
No...I mentioned "used vasoline..."

:D
With over 10 000 colonoscopy dones,bigmac is the man when it comes to lubrification...;)

Can't beleive the UMP started a "What oil should i use..." thread.
I'm surprise it wasn't a poll...:D 8p

bigmac
03-23-2007, 06:57 PM
With over 10 000 colonoscopy dones,bigmac is the man when it comes to lubrification...;)

Oh baby, oh baby....

TMCNo1
03-23-2007, 07:19 PM

KY, the lubrication of Champions!

bigmac
03-23-2007, 07:23 PM
KY, the lubrication of Champions!No, on the advice of Hoosier Bob, we have switched to all synthetic.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2007, 03:17 PM
What's the inside scoop on 303 making engine oil......8p