PDA

View Full Version : Bird Sh!t

BrianM
03-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Just spent over three hours pressure washing (big industrial 3000 psi pressure washer) bird sh!t off of our ski dock. 20x24. We always have problems with large birds using the dock to roost in the winter. This year was 10 times worse than it has ever been. The dock is covered in green indoor outdoor carpet and the entire thing was caked in white. It was like blasting plaster off of the floor.

Any ideas on keeping these things away? These are large heron type birds. We get a few in the summer but usually it is somewhat manageable. Would like to keep them away though too. I am thinking scare crow because these birds stay far away as long as we are around.

PS I put this in general discussion since it is what we dock our MCs on between sets and I figured other people may have the same issues.

Jkelly
03-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Shot Gun!!!!!!!

:D

Jkelly
03-22-2007, 08:36 PM
I use to live in Mandeville, just south of I12 were do you ski

Maristar210
03-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Just spent over three hours pressure washing (big industrial 3000 psi pressure washer) bird sh!t off of our ski dock. 20x24. We always have problems with large birds using the dock to roost in the winter. This year was 10 times worse than it has ever been. The dock is covered in green indoor outdoor carpet and the entire thing was caked in white. It was like blasting plaster off of the floor.

Any ideas on keeping these things away? These are large heron type birds. We get a few in the summer but usually it is somewhat manageable. Would like to keep them away though too. I am thinking scare crow because these birds stay far away as long as we are around.

PS I put this in general discussion since it is what we dock our MCs on between sets and I figured other people may have the same issues.

Fake Owl on a post.....

LakePirate
03-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Pilot and them gots some old CDs hung up on strings. The crazy light show keeps em away....

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Pilot and them gots some old CDs hung up on strings. The crazy light show keeps em away....
WOW! what an idea! I bet Barry Manilow CD's work GREAT for that!!!

Lakey! what up my brutha???

JKTX21
03-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Can't go wrong with a Heckler & Koch MP5.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/JKTX21/mp5.jpg

03-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Fake Owl on a post.....
speaking of that, when is your next physical??

:uglyhamme

LakePirate
03-22-2007, 08:47 PM
WOW! what an idea! I bet Barry Manilow CD's work GREAT for that!!!

Lakey! what up my brutha???

Same ol Same ol

You guys thawed out yet?

Attention ThreadJack in Progress..

Maristar210
03-22-2007, 08:57 PM
speaking of that, when is your next physical??

:uglyhamme

6 months from now a$$Whole

bloodwork came back good except for the tri's which were slightly elevated

WTRSK1R
03-22-2007, 08:58 PM
I heard that peacocks keep other birds away.:D

Slinkyredfoot
03-22-2007, 09:57 PM

You figure right, I do have issues.....

Chief
03-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Get an electronic "bird be gone". They do make them, we put one on our ship to keep the birds away. They do work some, but they do draw some curious seagulls, but not for long. Hell it will drive humans away with it's random series of predator bird noises.

Hoosier Bob
03-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Rottweiler! Just a thought. Never had any birds around while I had my Rotty. Benjamin makes some 1100 fps pellet guns! Never get tired of shootin' stuff!;)

Rich_G
03-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Fake Owl on a post.....

just don't make a mistake and get a good looking fake female owl..., then you'll have a bunch of male owl poop --- or worse!

Slinkyredfoot
03-22-2007, 10:13 PM
don't amke fun of female owls please, I have four hanging around my house and they all are a bunch of liars....

Hoosier Bob
03-22-2007, 10:14 PM
So the sheep are liars as well?:o don't amke fun of female owls please, I have four hanging around my house and they all are a bunch of liars....

03-22-2007, 10:30 PM
So the sheep are liars as well?:o
Your the expert, you tell us.8p

Slinkyredfoot
03-22-2007, 10:31 PM
So the sheep are liars as well?:o

I dunno, I don't own any sheep, but I do have four female owls hanging around my house all the time and they are a bunch of liars....

Hoosier Bob
03-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Owl ******!8p

JKTX21
03-22-2007, 11:27 PM
You should buy a trained falcon and get one of those B.A. leather gloves!

betsy&david Harrison
03-22-2007, 11:27 PM
the seagulls at work crap on someone or many on a daily basis...they scare me

Leroy
03-22-2007, 11:37 PM
I always have the fake owl above my boat. If I dont' the cover is covered with poop.

erkoehler
03-23-2007, 12:55 AM
I thought I read somewhere that they don't like the smell of citronella that you put in the Tiki torches......someone may have said that they keep that in there canopy on a shorestation and it keeps the birds out.

Could be worth a shot, and if it doesn't work atleast you won't have any bugs :)

dapicatti
03-23-2007, 01:14 AM
Dog patrol. Good friend lived on Lake Washington, had a dog at his house for years. The geese and other birds would crap all over all the other docks, not theirs. Even after the dog died, they wouldn't get near that dock. Just a thought.

BrianM
03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
I use to live in Mandeville, just south of I12 were do you ski

I ski on the private site that you can see south of I-12 in Slidell. Before becoming a member there I used to ski on the Pear River navigation canal.

Jkelly
03-23-2007, 08:34 AM
I ski on the private site that you can see south of I-12 in Slidell. Before becoming a member there I used to ski on the Pear River navigation canal.

I have seen that lake. We use to ski on the Tchesuncte in the afternoons after work, on weekends it was to busy, so we go to P.B. Johnson in Hattiesburg, MS on weekends. The wife and kids like being at a lake better because it is easier for the kids to play in the water.

We lived in River Oaks Estates until the storm then we moved to Picayune, MS. I think we may be moving back to Slidell soon. My wife and kids do not care for the Country life and the schools suck.

Were did you put in the Pearl River at.

Jkelly
03-23-2007, 08:37 AM
I have seen all the birds on your dock. And were it is located the shot gun idea would not work to well. I would try using the owls or CD's.
I drove by a few weeks ago, on the back from the Mall,and the thing was covered in birds.

BeavenX5
03-23-2007, 08:40 AM
I have a fake owl now sitting on top of the boat tower. It works very good for me against seaguls and ducks. The seaguls used to realy mess up the cover as they loved to rest on the tower. The ducks used to spend the night on the dock. No more bird crapat all for us since we have the fake owl...

If the owl is not a big enough predator for the great heron, try a bigger bird of prey like a fake falcon or awk if you can fin them.

Easy, cheap and effective

BrianM
03-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Were did you put in the Pearl River at.
I always put in at lock #1 on the navigation canal. Long, narrow, straight runs with big trees on either side. Wind could be blowing 25mph and the water would have barely a ripple.

We used to ski on the Tche-funky weekday evenings as well. Very quiet then but a zoo on the weekends.

If you are ever around and want a pull through the course let me know.

east tx skier
03-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Fake Owl on a post.....

First thing that came to my mind.

Jkelly
03-23-2007, 11:39 AM
I always put in at lock #1 on the navigation canal. Long, narrow, straight runs with big trees on either side. Wind could be blowing 25mph and the water would have barely a ripple.

We used to ski on the Tche-funky weekday evenings as well. Very quiet then but a zoo on the weekends.

If you are ever around and want a pull through the course let me know.

Sounds Great!!! :D

I will get with you soon I hope

loeweb
03-23-2007, 12:18 PM
what about enclosing the dock, or maybe putting up a ceiling on the inside so the birds don't have a place to land and roost.

BrianM
03-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Does the fake owl work for larger waterbirds??

what about enclosing the dock, or maybe putting up a ceiling on the inside so the birds don't have a place to land and roost.

Really no way to enclose the dock. It has a roof over about 3/4 of the area but these birds do not roost in the rafters. They sit on the main part of the dock. Sometimes when I show up there are as many as 20 of them sitting there.

loeweb
03-23-2007, 12:29 PM
awning?????

BrianM
03-23-2007, 12:35 PM
About 98% sure this is the bird (Cormorant) that we have the major problems with. We get a few Egrets in the summer but they are manageable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-crested_Cormorant

loeweb
03-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Sorry. I misunderstood. I don't know what to do if they are sitting on the dock. Sprinkler maybe. Sometimes I know people will get animal manure (Tiger) to keep problems out of their gardens?

Good Luck

03-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I didnt know it was possible to have an owl fetish????:confused: :confused:

03-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Sorry. I misunderstood. I don't know what to do if they are sitting on the dock. Sprinkler maybe. Sometimes I know people will get animal manure (Tiger) to keep problems out of their gardens?

Good Luck
Ummm.......Where exactly does one procure Tiger Manure? :confused:

mess33
03-23-2007, 02:28 PM
This is your lucky day. I am an expert at handling seagulls on docks, boat lifts, and swim rafts. I like you have spent hours pressure washing docks and boat lifts. Go to www.birdbgone.com and go to deterrants. The bird spider is what you want with a bean bag base. You can get them in 4' diameter and 8' diameter. I buy the 4' diameter. They are not cheap but they work. I put them on my dock and swim raft when we leave the cabin for the weekend and when we come back on Friday we just move them out of the way. I guarantee your neighbors will hate you because the birds will end up on their docks. I can not say enough good things about this product. I do not sell them I just hate seagulls. Another thing I have seen work is fishing line strung from post to post to post all the way around your dock. Cheap way to keep the birds off but makes access in and out of the water a problem.

Mess

loeweb
03-23-2007, 03:03 PM

I've heard of people going to the zoo to find the sh!t

Monte
03-23-2007, 03:06 PM

There is a local hardware store that sells cougar and wolf urine.. big sign out front too... Maybe it could be procured there:)

ap77
06-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Has anyone figured out a good way of deterring birds from gathering on docks? The owls don't seem to work...