PDA

View Full Version : Problem for Jim!

Brent
03-22-2007, 07:09 PM
I have a 1987 MC Pro Star 190 PS, with an Indmar setup. I was going to replace the seal behind the impeller and noticed something did not seem right. The housing has way too much play on the motor side where it mounts to the shaft. I removed the bracket with the 5/8 bolts that hold it to the front of the block and under the housing where it is secured with a very large allen bolt. I cannot remove the housing from the shaft. What am I not doing? It does not look like there are any other clips or e-rings. I'm thinking the damn bearing is frozen to the shaft. Not good. Any ideas??? Thanks. Jim

Jim@BAWS
03-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Glad I was looking in here...
I would not replace the sealed bearing on the pump
It is not worth you time. By the time you get the bearing pressed out
and the new one in you will have wasted to much of your time. Besides
by the time the bearing wears out you should really just replace the whole pump. There are 3-4 allen head bolts that hold it in place on the lower pulley. Remove them and the alt belt so you can slide it out under the pump. Keep the small allen head bolt on the bottom of the pump...
you will need it. $168.95 USD + shipping for pump. It comes with a new impeller already in the pump

Just my opinion

Hope it helps

Jim@BAWS

Matt L.
03-23-2007, 02:30 AM
Contact Skidim.com and get a sherwood pump. Much higher quality than the Johnson pumps usually found on Indamr motors.

Later,

Matt

Jim@BAWS
03-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Matt....Please. Johnson makes a GREAT PUMP and very reliable.
Pumps are not built to last forever. I recommend Johson pumps, they work just fine and are reliable

Jim@BAWS

Matt L.
03-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Jim,

You are right Johnson makes a fine pump, but for the money, not the best pump. Here is my response to Larry at Indmar who PMd me with the same concern as yours.

The Sherwood raw water pump is of superior design and construction compared to the Johnson pump that was factory installed on my Indmar HO454. The Johnson pump only had a single bearing versus the dual bearing design in the Sherwood pump. The Sherwood is also fully rebuildable. The dual bearing makes the pump more durable and keeps the impeller running true so it is less wear prone. Since I had to replace the Johnson pump it was reccomended that I go with the Sherwood pump for the above reasons. My cost was virtually the same so I bought the rebuildable one.

My Johnson pump was 14 years old and was leaking all over and wobbling something terrible (bearing out).

I can see from Indmar's stand point that the Johnson pump is more than adequate. I'm sure your warranty claims for pump failures are very minimal. However, MasterCraft makes boats that, if properly maintained, will clearly outlast the life of a Johnson pump.

I stand by my point that the Sherwood is a better component. I plan on having this boat and its Indmar engine forever so it makes sense for me to put the superior component in. Same reason I converted from the original breaker points ignition to a soild state electronic ignition (Pertronix Ignitor II).

I didn't mean it as a slam on Indmar, but many people on the TeamTalk forum are going to own their MasterCrafts for a long time so I reccomended the better pump. Sherwood pumps are run on Crusader and PCM engines. I guess PCM is a competitor since they go in other true inboards.

Later,

Matt

Jim@BAWS
03-24-2007, 09:28 PM
QUOTE "My Johnson pump was 14 years old and was leaking all over and wobbling something terrible (bearing out)."

Your pump lasted 14 years...and it is not strong enough or built tough enough???????

Jim@BAWS

Matt L.
03-25-2007, 02:37 AM
And if I can replace it with a better one that is fully rebuildable for the same money, please tell me why I shouldn't.

I should have specified, my boat only has ~500 hours on it and most of that was over the past 5 years. So that great Johnson pump didn't really last all that long.

Later,

Matt