PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a new ski..Help!

runkle
03-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey Ya'll, I'm looking for a new ski for this summer and need some help. The options and variety of skis are overwhelming me. I've only skied one summer on my friends old O'brien; however, I picked up slalom really quickly. I'm not really sure how I would classify myself as a skier. I have no problems deep water starting or making rythmic cuts across wake. I'm getting a new boat this summer and will be on the water a lot so my abilities are going to improve immensely. I really want a ski I can grow into. I'm 5'11 and 165lbs. I'm not looking to break my bank. Any help is greatly appreciated! - Trey

Ric
03-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey Ya'll, I'm looking for a new ski for this summer and need some help. The options and variety of skis are overwhelming me. I've only skied one summer on my friends old O'brien; however, I picked up slalom really quickly. I'm not really sure how I would classify myself as a skier. I have no problems deep water starting or making rythmic cuts across wake. I'm getting a new boat this summer and will be on the water a lot so my abilities are going to improve immensely. I really want a ski I can grow into. I'm 5'11 and 165lbs. I'm not looking to break my bank. Any help is greatly appreciated! - Trey Welcome Runkle, I can help, but only after you recite the Jordan Standard

runkle
03-22-2007, 03:41 PM
as in the sigma chi jordan standard?

runkle
03-22-2007, 05:23 PM
i was kinda looking at the HO Mach1, O'brien Wolrd Team and HO Comp Freeride Burner

bbeach
03-22-2007, 06:02 PM
I'd recommend an older HO ASX or Vengeance... That will take you a long way...

east tx skier
03-22-2007, 06:15 PM
as in the sigma chi jordan standard?

Nothing but the Benjamin. Welcome!

east tx skier
03-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Nothing but the Benjamin. Welcome!

I like HO skis. Wileys (www.wileyski.com) is doing another run of CDXs currently. They make great boots, too. The ASX/Vengeance mentioned above is also a good ski.

Ric
03-22-2007, 06:41 PM
as in the sigma chi jordan standard? Yessir .

Ric
03-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Hurry up with it Runkle!

Ric
03-23-2007, 06:42 PM
my last 2 posts are 24 hours apart .... coincidence?

runkle
03-23-2007, 07:26 PM
A Man of Good Character. . . . .

A Student of Fair Abiliity. . . . . .

With Ambitious Purposes. . . . .

A Congenial Disposition. . . . . .

Possessed of Good Morals. . . .

Having a High Sense of Honor and

A Deep Sense of Personal Responsibility.

Jesus_Freak
03-24-2007, 03:30 AM
i was kinda looking at the HO Mach1, O'brien Wolrd Team and HO Comp Freeride Burner

I am partial to starting on the Connelly Concept, but hey that is just me.

H20skeefreek
03-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Hey Ya'll, I'm looking for a new ski for this summer and need some help. The options and variety of skis are overwhelming me. I've only skied one summer on my friends old O'brien; however, I picked up slalom really quickly. I'm not really sure how I would classify myself as a skier. I have no problems deep water starting or making rythmic cuts across wake. I'm getting a new boat this summer and will be on the water a lot so my abilities are going to improve immensely. I really want a ski I can grow into. I'm 5'11 and 165lbs. I'm not looking to break my bank. Any help is greatly appreciated! - Trey

I've got a brand new, never been used Nitro I'll cut you a deal on. PM me.

ski_king
03-24-2007, 08:43 AM
I think the 66 in. Obrien Syncro whould be great for you.
It skis better much than the World Team and can cover the entire ability range up to and including the slalom course.

My kids have one and I like it as much as my higher end ski.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14802&highlight=tests
http://www.waterskitests.com/2007/RecTest/data2.htm
http://wileyski.com/waterskis/skis-1192.htm

Ric
03-24-2007, 12:42 PM
THAT's what I'm talking about Runkle. End that with "sir" when you are talking to me please. 8p

I just bought an HO triumph.
it may be perfect for your needs

If I were you and just gettin into slalom course, I'd go with a widebody ski and get the basics down before I jumped onto a cdx or a f1 or a mach1 or anything fast like those.

Triumph is wider body than a burner but both are from HO and both will run a course and yet still be able to get out of the water easily and not act too squirrelly on you. triumph has an adjustable fin so you can grow into it, burner does not, but is probably a bit cheaper

I'd also say that the HO vengeance is considered a bit wide but cuts through the wake better and is better turning at the ball and a faster ski than triumph, but not necessary really

dapicatti
03-24-2007, 05:58 PM
We were at Wiley's in Seattle yesterday buying some more replacement gear from when our boat was broken into. Their phone was ringing off the hook from guys buying skis all over the country. They seem to have the best knowledge, and a really cool display of old wood skis everywhere- especially on the ceiling! We were looking at wake gear, and every call that came in while we were there was for waterskis.
I'd give them a call and ask what they think- they are really good at talking you out of spending too much money for your skill set- believe me they have done it more than once with me. http://www.wileyski.com/
Eastie posted the link before, but the phone number is on the home page.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Runkle, I recommend this: call MYMC up. He is an HO dealer and a member here. VERY knowledgleable about skis and setups. Great guy to do biz with. I cant say enough good about him. He wont steer you wrong.

cbryan70
03-25-2007, 10:57 PM
I have skied a concept to. Especially when i was first starting out and it is a very stable ski and gives you alot of control. IMO

runkle
03-25-2007, 11:04 PM
thanks alot for your help i really appreciate all the advice

daverbeck
03-25-2007, 11:49 PM
I have used an OBrien Syncro for the last few years and love it. Very good performance. Lots of bite in the turns and very forgiving (lots of flex) for us less than professional level skiers.

Several of my friends have switched to the Syncro after using mine / seeing my improvement.

If you are looking to compete it is probably not the best choice. If you are a recreational skier try it. It think the HO Triumph is similar but I have not tried it.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
A Man of Good Character. . . . .

A Student of Fair Abiliity. . . . . .

With Ambitious Purposes. . . . .

A Congenial Disposition. . . . . .

Possessed of Good Morals. . . .

Having a High Sense of Honor and

A Deep Sense of Personal Responsibility.
Runkle, with those qualities, are you interested in work as a superhero? I could use another side kick. Dont goet me wrong, Harold (camo boy) is a great side kick, but bote season is coming, and that means he will be occupied polishing his boat, oiling the teak, etc... and that significatnly cuts into crime fighting. Jrandol is awol, which leaves me single handed during the busiest months of the year and busier than a one legged man in a arse kicking contest. I could use a good help. talk to me. :cool:

BuoyChaser
04-28-2007, 11:13 PM
if you're interested in a great ski, i'm upgrading to a ski with harder edges to help me work into more consistent 28' and 32' off passes at 36mph, looking at the Connelly F1...

check out my marketplace ad http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1377&cat=9