View Full Version : why buy when you can rent

rodltg2
03-22-2007, 01:18 PM
this beauty....

dont think he'll get much action.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/298302896.html

Maristar210
03-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Hmmm. You never know Rod. I paid $300 to rent a pontoon for the better part of the day just last week in Marco Island:rolleyes:

RexDog1
03-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I like a guy who tries to spread the boating life with other people,
And $385 for all day is ok, have you seen the prices to rent
a wave runner for an hr……OMG $80. an hr.

And he asked for some feedback….. not to be posted on TT to get Bashed :mad:

rodltg2
03-22-2007, 01:32 PM
you can rent wakeboard boats here for close to that. he wont get much action at that price in this area. maybe if it was new.

Maristar210
03-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Rex,

I wasn't bashing (if you were referring to me)

I was stating that if I was willing to rent a Pontoon for $300 then someone would probably rent his boat for $385. Does not seem out of line to me. Deposit and insurance liability issues better be thought out in advance however....

BrianM
03-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Not a bad looking runabout for someone that just wants to get on the water for a day. $385 seems a bit steep but as said above a jetski is going to cost $80 an hour. I remember renting a stand up 550 jet ski at Folsom in the late 80s and it was $50 an hour then.

Sodar
03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I would rather see an older boat be rented out, than 100 jet ski's with 12 yr olds tearing up the water!!

Hey Rod... Between TeamTalk, Craigslist and the other Waterski Forums, how do you find time to ski!?!?! If I ever need to buy something, I am going to ask you to watch out for it! You are more up to date on what is for sale and what is going on in the watersports world, than I will ever be!!

rodltg2
03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
probably referring to me, but i wasnt bashing only posting the ad because it seems like an interesting move on this guy's part.

rodltg2
03-22-2007, 01:37 PM
im aslways checking craigslist for boat deals....

BrianM
03-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Confirmed to be a bit steep. This place in Rocklin rents a 2006 18' Sea Ray V6 IO with a tower for $335 - $375 a day http://www.lakeshorepacific.net/

RexDog1
03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
I was not referring to you ……..

But now that you said something …….

this beauty....

dont think he'll get much action.

May not be bashing but……………………………………..:rolleyes:

have a nice day rod:)

Monte
03-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Good way to help pay for the rig... Until sombody tears it up.. I feel like such a heel for always bringing up the insurance part of things, but if a renter ever wrecks it.. The guy is done.. They will deny the claim due to commercial exposure... Unless he tells the ins co. up front, then the premiums will be astronomical.... That is the real reason for the expensive rental fees....

Sodar
03-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Good way to help pay for the rig... Until sombody tears it up.. I feel like such a heel for always bringing up the insurance part of things, but if a renter ever wrecks it.. The guy is done.. They will deny the claim due to commercial exposure... Unless he tells the ins co. up front, then the premiums will be astronomical.... That is the real reason for the expensive rental fees....

you can always just commit insurance fraud and tell them that you let them borrow it... from my understanding on most insurance policies cover the drivers listed on the policy, or anyone give permission of use..

shepherd
03-22-2007, 03:41 PM
If you let somebody else use your boat, you may be setting yourself up for some serious liability if the guy wrecks or otherwise causes serious injury to himself or someone else using your boat. I think it's called the "dangerous instrumentality" rule... I suspect that's why commercial boat rentals are so expensive - the rental company has to buy some expensive insurance to cover these potential claims.

If you don't have such insurance, or try some insurance fraud, you are playing a dangerous game.

Monte
03-22-2007, 03:46 PM
you can always just commit insurance fraud and tell them that you let them borrow it... from my understanding on most insurance policies cover the drivers listed on the policy, or anyone give permission of use..

All of that is true... Sad thing is you would have to make darn sure the renter knew that b/c they will want to talk to them... First time they say "rent"... the poor guy's claim goes south:(

I don't fault the guy... I think it is a good way to help pay for a boat.. If you can put experienced/ quality drivers behind the steering wheel that is....

I would be more inclined to offer the service, by being the driver of my own boat (a charter excursions) type deal... I may specify bachlorette parties only:D

duckguy
03-22-2007, 03:56 PM
You couldnt pay me to turn the keys to the MC over to someone.

TMCNo1
03-22-2007, 04:32 PM
have you seen the prices to rent
a wave runner for an hr……OMG $80. an hr.

$80/hour, Ok, give me 3 minutes for $4.00! That's all it will take for me to get bored or get shot at!:D :rolleyes: 8p