PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Manifold Question

454Barefoot
03-21-2007, 11:15 AM
On my 1998 Prostar I purchased over the winter there are rubber hoses coming off the back of the exhaust manifold, each of them has a garden hose type end (one female and one male.) So I am assuming I am just supposed to hook the two together. Kind of a stupid question but I just want to make sure as my other mastercraft doesnt ahve anything like this.

JimN
03-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Connect them- they replace the plugs on the back of the manifolds.

454Barefoot
03-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks thats what i thought, what is the purpose of these lines wouldnt it be easier to just put a petcock or valvle on each one then have hoses on there,

Jesus_Freak
03-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Connect them- they replace the plugs on the back of the manifolds.

Yes, I did something similar with mine after you helped me with my manifold plug cross-threading problem.

JimN
03-21-2007, 12:38 PM
454- petcocks clog easily when there's a lot of silt and sand. I have never seen one of these clog and they won't corrode- how much easier could it be than what they went to? If you have a hard time getting to them, release the gas pistons for the motor box cover and let it rest on the floor or rear seat.

dchatagnon
04-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I have crank the engine for five seconds just to make sure it starts well before to go to the lake. When I shut it down, I saw some exhaust smoke coming out from the plugs in the back of the manifold. Of course after I have tighted back both plugs.

Do I need to change the exhaust manifold ?
Normally the exhaust and water should be separated ? that means it is possible to have some water entering the cylinders..

What do you think ?
thanks,

Damien.

TMCNo1
04-14-2007, 03:19 PM
I have crank the engine for five seconds just to make sure it starts well before to go to the lake. When I shut it down, I saw some exhaust smoke coming out from the plugs in the back of the manifold. Of course after I have tighted back both plugs.

Do I need to change the exhaust manifold ?
Normally the exhaust and water should be separated ? that means it is possible to have some water entering the cylinders..

What do you think ?
thanks,

Damien.

You are saying the manifolds are empty of water and the plugs are out and when you run it with no water for a short period, there is exhaust smoke coming from the water jacket portion of the manifold where the plug is removed.
1st, I think you are going to burn up a waterpump impeller because you have no water going to it and 2nd the smoke may be backing up in the pipe where the water and exhaust normally dump together at the rubber hose and going into the waterjacket portion of the manifold and coming out the hole.:twocents:

dchatagnon
04-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Yes! Thanks a lotTMCNo1!. I think you are right and your explanation makes sense.
FYI: before to do it, I have removed the waterpump impeller... to avoid any burn on it.

TMCNo1
04-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Yes! Thanks a lotTMCNo1!. I think you are right and your explanation makes sense.
FYI: before to do it, I have removed the waterpump impeller... to avoid any burn on it.

Good to hear that, as I wipe sweat from my brow!:D