PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Gazebo/Pergola

T Scott
03-20-2007, 09:28 PM
I just bought a new house and am interested in building a gazebo/pergola in the back yard. I am relatively handy and am considering taking on this project myself. Is it really that difficult, or should I consult a professional?? I am considering a size of 12x16 and would put a picnic table and perhaps a couple of hammocks under it and then cover the area with white sand. Has anyone built such a creature? I'd love to see some pics of different outdoor living space you guys might have.

Thanks!

Tom

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Ever see the "Kids in the Hall" episode where the low life neighbors steal the old ladies gazebo? Its absolutely hilarious! one of the best skits I ever saw.

Maristar210
03-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Tom,

Unlike my friend from the north8p I can offer a little help
http://www.gazebodepot.com/

Make sure you get the hurricane proof version for obvious reasons.

Good Luck - Steve

JohnE
03-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Are you leaning toward gazebo or pergola? If you want to frame your own gazebo, it is tricky. I'd pay someone or buy a kit. A pergola is do-able if you're handy.

T Scott
03-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Are you leaning toward gazebo or pergola? If you want to frame your own gazebo, it is tricky. I'd pay someone or buy a kit. A pergola is do-able if you're handy.

Leaning more towards a Pergola......it dosen't look that difficult to build.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Tom,

Unlike my friend from the north8p I can offer a little help
http://www.gazebodepot.com/

Make sure you get the hurricane proof version for obvious reasons.

Good Luck - Steve
Oops:o Sorry:o

JohnE
03-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Leaning more towards a Pergola......it dosen't look that difficult to build.

I agree, it's not that difficult. If you are handy, you can build a pergola. A gazebo would be difficult for an experienced carpenter. Difficult might not be the right word, but they are a little tricky.

I've never build a pergola, but have plenty of carpentry experience. I'd build the top of the pergola on the ground and then raise it and set the posts under it. Unless it is prohibitively large and heavy. Certainly there is a bit more to it, but that's how I'd go about it. Trying to set and level posts and then mount everything would be too many moving parts, so to speak.

SkiDog
03-20-2007, 10:40 PM
I just bought a new house and am interested in building a gazebo/pergola in the back yard. I am relatively handy and am considering taking on this project myself. Is it really that difficult, or should I consult a professional?? I am considering a size of 12x16 and would put a picnic table and perhaps a couple of hammocks under it and then cover the area with white sand. Has anyone built such a creature? I'd love to see some pics of different outdoor living space you guys might have.

Thanks!

Tom

Tom, where's the hot tub gonna go?!?!?!?Gotta have one of those in it.

T Scott
03-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Tom, where's the hot tub gonna go?!?!?!?Gotta have one of those in it.

Hot tub is built into my pool up by the house. The pergola would go about 40 feet from the edge of the lake. I figured it would be a cool area to hang out when we have friends over to ski/boat, etc.

T Scott
05-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Well, I finished my pergola last weekend, just in time for my son's 6th birthday that we hosted at our house. It was relatively easy to build and only took me two weekends to complete.

What do you think?

T Scott
05-24-2007, 10:33 AM
My buddy Bob and my wife hanging out under the new shade spot!

T Scott
05-24-2007, 10:35 AM
This is the rest of the back yard. The pergola is off to the right in this picture. I had the beach sand brought in and my kids haven't stopped playing in it since. This pic was taken during my son'e birthday party. He is in the green shirt.

chudson
05-24-2007, 10:35 AM
When in doubt I Google it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Gazebo%2FPergola&btnG=Google+Search

BrianM
05-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Very nice. Great location by the lake.

#47of100TeamMC
05-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Looks really Nice! Great work! If you need someone to sit with in your new build and have a cold beer with... (maybe ski a little) I'll be coming down to Orlando in 2 weeks. :D