PDA

View Full Version : Beached boat

Pages : [1] 2

BearX1
03-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Hello there,

I'm sure most of you have probably read about my beached X1, on Long Lake, near Spokane, WA. I have been waiting for the lake level to rise, in order to safely float it out, however, the lake levels keep dropping and won't be raising, any time soon, due to the high flows of the river.

I want to start looking for alternative means of getting it out and hope to get some opinions. The boat is currently in less than 3" of water, however, I have dug out the transom and removed the prop, (so the transom is in about 2' of water). The lake bottom is a soft mud/sand mix. I have already determined that inflating tire tubes, under the boat will not work, as the tubes are too flexible. I would like to know if anyone has information about high strength canvas, or similar, inflatable floats, that can be placed under the boat and inflated to lift the boat. At that point, the boat could be towed out. Another idea is to build a trailer type sled, winch the boat on it, and drag it out, (the mud will be a challenge, though).

The boat is about 50 yards away from water that is 2' deep or so. Also, the closest any larger boat can get to it, is about 80 yards away. This whole ordeal has become a major challenge, never to be repeated by this amateur boater.

Any positive advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan.

G-man
03-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Would there be anyway to get 2 large tractors with buckets on the front to lift it and move it to deeper water of to the trailer?

Cary K.
03-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Or a land based mobile crane, and avoid dragging it?

whitedog
03-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Just a thought, get a gas powered 2" transfer pump, float it on a small raft, use water from the discharge hose to create a channel to float the boat in. If the lake bottom is a soft silt of muck it will move fairly easily and with any current the sediment will be flushed out of the way. We have done this in the past, not a overly fast process but it is effective.

JKTX21
03-20-2007, 03:23 PM
You could build two PVC "slings" to push the boat out on. Sliding the boat on one, onto the other, and so on. This of course depending upon how muddy it is.

You may want to remove all of the underwater gear before any serious moving.

Mag_Red
03-20-2007, 03:24 PM
How about posting a picture of it??? I'd love to see this! Anyway to get a trailer to the boat?? It would have to be a roller type, not your trailer with bunks. With a roller trailer you could winch it up on it. Other idea...................dig it out

Mag_Red
03-20-2007, 03:26 PM
You could lift it out with a helicopter. Expensive?? Yes, but that's how they set some HVAC eguipment on tall buldings

Maristar210
03-20-2007, 03:32 PM
I have seen a channel cut into the muck with a 4" water line take a boat twenty feet. It took a while so yours might require two or four water pumps with enough hose to reach.

Wash the muck / sand out and float your boat. If the DNR won't let you do this then you could drag it out or helo are the only other options I see.

We need photos for specific evaluation.

BOL - Steve

Edit:\ Are you trying to get it into deeper water or out of the water?

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Ryan,
Sorry I can't be much help here, but don't forget about your tracking fins when you start moving things around.

I hope everyone made it thru w/o harm.

sanjuan23
03-20-2007, 03:39 PM
www.eriksonaircrane.com

Ron Grover
03-20-2007, 03:48 PM
I don't know how far the boat is from solid ground but if it isn't too far I would see about getting a couple of straps around it and renting a couple of those "extended boom" rough terrain fork lifts. extend the boom out over the boat pick it up and carry it to put on a trailer on shore.

I used one for building a boat dock using c-channel and floats on shore and then just carried it in pieces to the water and bolted it together. The lift I used had a 36' boom. Of course extended out all the way you may need 2 lifts so you don't tip lift. After you get the boat closer one lift would handle it easily.

cmack
03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
This is a sad story. I just happened to call http://www.inlandhelicopters.com/ located in Spokane -- To try and get some prices for you.
It seems you had just called them -- Timing was a little funny. I talked to Dave who said he just got off phone with you.
I am curious how much a helicopter rental will run you

Jwhitsett1129
03-20-2007, 04:08 PM
I must have missed something...like the original post about this...

Sounds awful. Does anyone have the link to the original post?

Sodar
03-20-2007, 04:12 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14819

Mag_Red
03-20-2007, 04:19 PM
:confused: Did any one ask if you emptied the ballast tanks yet?:D

BearX1
03-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Hello everyone, yah, to rent a helicopter would be $1500 to $3000 or so. (Thank you for making the call cmack :-)) The boat is over 1000' from any shore and is on an enormous sand bar, (I'm guessing 500 acres or so). The biggest challenge is getting access to the boat.

I've heard another idea that I'll pass along . . . tie a rope to the top of the tower and have a few guys pull the boat over on its chine, then tow the boat out on the mud. I may be able to securely fasten a high strength tarp, for the boat to rotate onto, before dragging it out, which may limit damage. Would any of you know if pulling the boat over, like that, will create problems with the motor? Oil? Gas? leaking, etc?

Also, you can see some photos in a thread titled, "Long Lake, near Spokane."

Thanks again for all the responses.

Mag_Red
03-20-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd bit the bullit and call the helicopter guys. Tell them you'll take them and their families boating this year if they cut you some slack;)

Ryan
03-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Build two of which ever is easier and cheaper.
This may take a few times, but if you put on a winch it wouldn't take too much effort. Note my winch idea is to have a removable beam that fits in on an angle that will be used on both rigs, also removable so the boat can slide from one to the next.

There may be a high level of surface tension between the mud and the platforms so keep that 2" pump handy. If you really want to save time there you could drill a 2" hole in the middle of the platform through which you could blast some water and elevate the rig.

Top has rollers bottom has Liquid Rollers, or Boat Glide On's. Pull onto #1, place #2 in front rinse and repeat.

This may take half a day to build 2 of these, but it will sure cost less than renting a helicopter.

cmack
03-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Bear -- If it was me -- I would pay the 1500 and airlift it. I think that might be the safest. who knows what kind of damage you could further do by draging it.

Ryan
03-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Or you could find an old Toon (or four canoes), build a supporting rig on top, fill the center void with tubes.

Hey if you rent the helicopter the rescue pics will sure look cooler than this.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-20-2007, 04:35 PM
I know this might be down the road, but before you turn your engine over, check the raw water inlet at various spots to make sure you didn't suck mud and clog your cooling passages.

Seems you are keeping a positive attitude! Just remember, the Romans built the Great Wall of China with lesser tools! :D

lawless1
03-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Ryan - sorry to hear about your continued challenges. A few thoughts:

1. With the cost associated with some of these extraction methods you may want to determine if this is a covered claim under your insurance policy.

2. I've seen a crane utilized in this type of situation once but sounds like you may have some additional accessibility issues. May be too far for a towing company to reach from the road also, but may be worth a call. Might be the least damage just leaving it on the bar rather than dragging it such a distance.

3. It is supposed to get cold the next couple of evenings (high 20s) - you may want to examine a quick winterization to avoid damage to your motor.

Bruce
03-20-2007, 04:58 PM
You mentioned heavy canvas inflaeables. We use those in the fire service for extracation. They would definitely handle the weight. Everyone calls us for about everything and we do about everything. Firefighters love a challenge. Call your local Fire Dept.(they would probably not ask but donations are well received) A lady called the other day and said her cat was in a tree. I asked if it was on fire. She did not share my humor.(we got the cat down of course)

chudson
03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
You mentioned heavy canvas inflaeables. We use those in the fire service for extracation. They would definitely handle the weight. Everyone calls us for about everything and we do about everything. Firefighters love a challenge. Call your local Fire Dept.(they would probably not ask but donations are well received) A lady called the other day and said her cat was in a tree. I asked if it was on fire. She did not share my humor.(we got the cat down of course)

You didn't blast it out of the tree with a shot from the hose did you, just kiddin!!!:D

Monte
03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
A lady called the other day and said her cat was in a tree. I asked if it was on fire. She did not share my humor.(we got the cat down of course)

Now that is funny:D Threadjack over

I have no advice that would be useful!

PendO
03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
some good ideas ... keep in mind he is 3000-4000' feet from the nearest shoreilne ... Ryan, my dad talked with a guy from tacoma that thinks you could use a gas powered dredge to create a channel ... it is the size of a generator and would need to fit on a pallet ... but he thinks you could basically suck the sand/mud away .. I'm not sure, but it may be worth a try.

My vote, logging helicopter - but that could be expensive

I think Ryan's idea of buiding bunks and trying to pull it could work, just carpet the bunks, keep them wet, use a come-a-long and drive posts into the ground to secure the come-a-long

Kyle's_prostar205
03-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Brusce beat me to it...Us Fire Fighters do love to train and it isn't every day that you are given an extracation challenge like this. The local FD might be a good resource for you. Just my 2 cents worth :) Good luck and keep us updated via pictures!

Ryan
03-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Or a sled and a line to a boat that floats. I'd prefer it over the potential damage with just canvas.

Diesel
03-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Sounds like if you wait much longer the airlift will be your only option. :(

Good luck ;)

Diesel
03-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Now that I think about this............

Why not take a tug or a couple of MCs and just drag it off the mud? It's not going to cause any more damage than hitting the bar at 30mph. Probably should have just used brute force on the first night when the lake was still up.

PendO
03-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Now that I think about this............

Why not take a tug or a couple of MCs and just drag it off the mud? It's not going to cause any more damage than hitting the bar at 30mph. Probably should have just used brute force on the first night when the lake was still up.

the mud is so sticky I don't think that the lifting rings will support the force (pulling it forward with the surface tension), imagine the boat sitting in wet concrete ..

yeah, the first night was probably the most likely, but it would have been tough to take the prop off underwater, at least with the water going down they were able to get the prop off and not need scuba gear

Leroy
03-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Eighty yards to deeper water isn't that far. I would get a good strong rope, several ski boats in series (or a tug boat), use Ryan's skid concept with couple of sheets of plywood on the bottom that serve as skis and load it on the skid and pull it out.

ski_king
03-20-2007, 05:39 PM
If the bottom is soft, get a gas powered pump from the fire department and set it on a inflatable boat next to the stuck boat.
Use the output from the pump to cut away the mud and help float the boat while it is being pulled by other boats and being pushed.

But with only 3 in of water to work with, the fire pump will most likley be cavatating and/or sucking mud.

dmayer84
03-20-2007, 05:43 PM
If the fire dept has enough line and can get close enough they might be able to suck from the lake and then pump it with the engine out the hose to loosen up the mud and then pull with some other boats.

Leroy
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
You could also take a couple of the water trampolines one each side of the boat, build a hoist between the two and lift it up enough to float it to deep water. I think those tramps would life a lot and not sink more than 4-6 inches in the water.

maristarman
03-20-2007, 06:00 PM
What about chumming up to, or offering your boat services to the local high school football team?

Get some of them to rock/lift the boat to get your sled (or rollers) under it and then drag it out with another boat(s).

Nothing like good old manual labor sometimes.

Probably cheaper than hiring a helicopter.

rodltg2
03-20-2007, 06:15 PM
what about taking one of those huge water tramps and rolling the boat so the tramp is under it. then inflate it up, and drag the boat out with another boat. may not work but sounds cool to try!!

TMCNo1
03-20-2007, 06:19 PM
I must have missed something...like the original post about this...

Sounds awful. Does anyone have the link to the original post?Nevermind!!

JimN
03-20-2007, 06:24 PM
p-hat- The Romans didn't build the Great wall of China. http://www.ccds.charlotte.nc.us/History/China/03/Tmuzzillo/Tmuzzillo.htm

Or, was this like Bluto's "We didn't give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, did we?", from Animal House?

JimN
03-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Is there enough water around the boat to use a floating dock and tow the whole thing out to where it's deeper?

Mag_Red
03-20-2007, 06:42 PM
OK.....my drawing skills aren't as good as some, but here's another idea. Build, find two sleds. Connect them with some sort of hoist device that will lift the boat some. That way the weight will be spread over the surface area of the two sleds, and not the smaller area of the boat. This should make it much easier to drag toward the water. Other than the helicopter idea.........I got nothing!:)

dmayer84
03-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Are there any monster trucks in the area. They could float out on their tires and then once on the sand bar pull the boat enough so that it can be freed and then take the monster truck back to shore.

Sodar
03-20-2007, 06:48 PM
I love everyone's enginuity, but I would be scared to lift a $50k boat with a make shift A-frame or other devices. This far I think the best and most economical way would be a submersible pump, pushing the sand away from the boat, like a wave does when you are standing at the beach in ankle deep water. The helicopter is by far and away the best idea and I think that after all these other options are said and done, the cost would be very comprable...

Either way, good luck Bear!! I wish you the best!!

Mag_Red
03-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Are there any monster trucks in the area. They could float out on their tires and then once on the sand bar pull the boat enough so that it can be freed and then take the monster truck back to shore.WE have a winner! I would love to see all the crap in the boat after those tires sling mudd every where:D

dmayer84
03-20-2007, 06:54 PM
I didnt say that it would keep the boat clean

rodltg2
03-20-2007, 06:55 PM
OK.....my drawing skills aren't as good as some, but here's another idea. Build, find two sleds. Connect them with some sort of hoist device that will lift the boat some. That way the weight will be spread over the surface area of the two sleds, and not the smaller area of the boat. This should make it much easier to drag toward the water. Other than the helicopter idea.........I got nothing!:)

wouldnt it be cheaper just to buy a new boat!!:D

Archimedes
03-20-2007, 06:57 PM
wouldnt it be cheaper just to buy a new boat!!:D

"That's what I was thinkinggggg!!!:D "

I say burn it and collect the insurance money...

Just a joke of course.

JimN
03-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Call the people from MythBusters! They can make something that'll work. I'm sure they would be up for the challenge, too. Otherwise, can you get enough helium to lift at least 1500 pounds? That, subtracted from the gross weight of the boat would raise it quite a bit.

cst573
03-20-2007, 07:00 PM
He may wish he had burned it when this is all over.

dmayer84
03-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Anyway to get a barge with a crane anywhere near there?

JimN
03-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Go to Sedona and gather all of the locals you can find so they can think positive thoughts and make it lighter.

michael freeman
03-20-2007, 07:17 PM
I didnt say that it would keep the boat clean

You could always sale tickets to offset the cost. :)

Would your insurance company have any ideas? I'm sure they have had to rescue a boat in a previous claim. They should know the cheapest way to do it without damaging the boat.

Just curious, how long can his boat sit in wet mud/water before blistering of the gel coat becomes a risk?

BearX1
03-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Wow, thanks for all the posts everyone. With the latest water level drop, I'm pretty sure the boat is now sitting on dry land. I spoke with the Dam regulators (that sounds pretty good, :-)), and there is no guarantee that the lake level will even be raised next week. Our latest plan is to rock the boat onto its chines, and strap on two 2' dia. x 14' inflatable pontoon floats, lengthwise under the boat. They would flank each side of the rudder, drive shaft, and keel fins. Roll the boat back to upright and run 5 or 6 seat belt type straps perpendicular under the boat, each being equally spaced from the transom to the mid-portion of the boat. All of the straps will be connected to a pipe, or something, on each side of the boat. From there, I am hoping to get at least 16 guys, (8 on each side) and a boat with a long rope, to lift and pull the boat out in small increments. I'm not sure if the pontoon floats will support the boat, but, we'll see. I'm hoping that the force of lifting the boat will relieve enough pressure on the pontoons so as to allow for the additional boat to pull it through the sticky mud. We'll see.

Thanks again.

Kyle's_prostar205
03-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Keep us updated and stay positive! Post the pictures when you get a chance!

Mag_Red
03-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Got it!!!!! Helium ballons! Lots of them!!!!:D

rodltg2
03-20-2007, 07:34 PM
perfect you can use mine..you will only need about 200 more!!

dmayer84
03-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Got it!!!!! Helium ballons! Lots of them!!!!:D

I wonder how much that much helium would cost

SkySkiSpokane
03-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Bear,
If you need bodies for help let me know. If I am around I can get a couple large guys out there. Casey has my email address!

maristarman
03-20-2007, 07:43 PM
I love everyone's enginuity, but I would be scared to lift a $50k boat with a make shift A-frame or other devices. This far I think the best and most economical way would be a submersible pump, pushing the sand away from the boat, like a wave does when you are standing at the beach in ankle deep water. The helicopter is by far and away the best idea and I think that after all these other options are said and done, the cost would be very comprable...

Either way, good luck Bear!! I wish you the best!!

That's it! Give a shoult out to all of the wakeboarders on this site, get a couple of x-45's and x-80s with full ballast to cruise back and forth....use their waves to push the boat.

Or course, with gas being as high as it is, the helicopter would probably be cheaper.

Never mind.

BearX1
03-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Some of the posts on here are hilarious, thanks again. SkySki, thanks a bunch, I will probably take you up on your offer. I am shooting for this Saturday, and will go through Casey to let you know. Thanks again.

SkySkiSpokane
03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Unfortunately I won't be around until the 29th. If you guys go into next week then let me know for sure.

Leroy
03-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Fill the hull and ballast tanks with helium! :D Be sure to tie a string on it before you do that!

jimmer2880
03-20-2007, 08:14 PM
I have to say... honestly, if it was my boat. I'd remove everything I could & wait for it to float again. Any kind of dragging is going to do some further damage to the hull. Even if you have a fail-safe plan (except for the helicopter idea, that is), I've been around long enough to know that nothing like this ever goes as planned.

ilikeitglacy
03-20-2007, 08:15 PM
can't you just bring a trailer over there, put the boat on the trailer and then pull the trailer to the river! :D
i'd rather put stress on an old trailer than my bote...

rodltg2
03-20-2007, 08:21 PM
can't you just bring a trailer over there, put the boat on the trailer and then pull the trailer to the river! :D

thats probably the best solotion yet, that is unless it way to muddy and it will sink beyond function. but if not even if you had to buy a brand new trailer its still cheaper than some of these other contraptions.

rick s.
03-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Hire the helo. $1,500 to $3,000 is really inexpensive, and maybe your insurance company will cover part / all. My older son got a helo ride from Southlake Tahoe to Reno, and the insurance company was billed $25K.

Get your boat back before something worse happens to it...like vandalism.

r

rodltg2
03-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Hire the helo. $1,500 to $3,000 is really inexpensive, and maybe your insurance company will cover part / all. My older son got a helo ride from Southlake Tahoe to Reno, and the insurance company was billed $25K.

Get your boat back before something worse happens to it...like vandalism.

r

i may wrong , but for a helicopter that has the lifting cpacity of 4000lbs , i think it will cost way more than that.

lawless1
03-20-2007, 08:35 PM
As stated earlier, I would leave it until the water rises because I think that you are risking further damage with most of the other (realistic) options. On the helocopter option, I would also contact the Airforce base and see if they would make an exercise out of moving it for you. The risk there is that a commercial helo company would most likely take on the risk of damage for anything that could go wrong versus the AF doing it.

agua4fun
03-20-2007, 08:43 PM
thats probably the best solotion yet, that is unless it way to muddy and it will sink beyond function. but if not even if you had to buy a brand new trailer its still cheaper than some of these other contraptions.

Sheets of 3/4" ply would easily keep it from sinking, use a few and work your way to the water?

rodltg2
03-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Sheets of 3/4" ply would easily keep it from sinking, use a few and work your way to the water?

thats what i would do, these other ideas may work but not as well is this one would. the helicopter seems a bit expensive, if you can find one , not to mention a bit risky both to the boat and helicopter. if it were me i would float your trialer out there or try and find a used one if possible. replace the front wheel with some sort of sled and drag it out to the water. then float the trialer back to the ramp. i think this will cost you the least and work the best. what ever you choose , im sure we are all curious to see how it pans out.... good luck.

Maristar210
03-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Pack warm clothes and get drunk in it every night until the water goes back up. I think this kind of stress is covered under FMLA:D

06' X-2 R8R H8R
03-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Get your hose and all of your neighbors hoses and fill the lake up...

Farmer Ted
03-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Brusce beat me to it...Us Fire Fighters do love to train and it isn't every day that you are given an extracation challenge like this. The local FD might be a good resource for you. Just my 2 cents worth :) Good luck and keep us updated via pictures!

just make sure they leave the Jaws of Life in the truck.....

I'd seriously consider calling the insurance company and finding out if you have "tow" coverage.

if so, tell them you've broken down and need a "tow"

Jerseydave
03-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Here's two ideas for you:

a) Use several large diameter PVC pipes, start digging under the boat enough to roll the pipes under the hull. When you get enough of them under the port and starboard chines so that the weight of the boat is on the pipes, start pushing. It's like moving a large heavy object across the ground by using pipes, same thing only there's some water there too. Nothing has to float, just let the pipes roll across the sandbar.
You'll have to keep laying-down more pipe ahead of the boat as it is being moved. I'd use at least 4" diameter PVC pipe or bigger, depends how soft the bottom is.

b) Or, as mentioned before get a BUNCH of guys, like 15-20 and lift the boat using slings under the hull. 20 guys should be able to lift and move a 3500 lb. boat (175 lb. per man) Just pick it up and walk it down to deeper water.

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE PICS! :D

JohnE
03-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I have to say... honestly, if it was my boat. I'd remove everything I could & wait for it to float again. Any kind of dragging is going to do some further damage to the hull. Even if you have a fail-safe plan (except for the helicopter idea, that is), I've been around long enough to know that nothing like this ever goes as planned.

If you remove the emotion from the situation, isn't this the best advice? When is it expected that the water level will rise?

phecksel
03-20-2007, 11:11 PM
I like the idea of a trailer. Even if you found a bunch of strong backs, they could lift it or get it started on the trailer. Trailer tires sitting on 2x12 laid flat with 2x4 or 2x6 underneath laid on edge. Few two straps tied to a winch, and just pull it out.

If the helicopter can pull it out of the mud {otherwise make sure it's loose first, I'd want them to set it down in the water rather then trying to nail a trailer. But plan on towing it in the water, don't attempt to start the engine unless you're sure it's free of mud and stuff.

WilliM1940
03-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Do the trailer, load it up with a stack of plywood, tow it out to the boat with a 20 hp or so lawn tractor (you will have to lay and pick up ply to get there ever so slowly). Keep one or two pieces clean. Once at the boat remove the stack from the trailer, allow trailer to winch under the boat, laying ply as it progresses. Bring grease for the bunks, wash the hull during progress. Put remaining ply on the clean sheets on the boat for the return, or to solid ground for launch laying ply as you go.

Leroy
03-20-2007, 11:21 PM
This boat is way out in lake in muddy sandy bottom.

WilliM1940
03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Says now its on dry land, water is dropping, access from shore may be a problem, maybe not.

bcampbe7
03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
One thing I am wondering is if the boat will break the suction of the mud once the water level comes back up... :confused: You may have to pump water/air under it to break it loose.

Leroy
03-20-2007, 11:29 PM
You're right, this is a problem. Something about the lakes in Washington. Last fall we had the boat stuck in ice, now this.

WilliM1940
03-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Wonder if an old army DUK could handle the problem without becoming hopelessly mired in the muck (no DUK in the muck!) Round up one of those vehicle restoration guys and give em a shout.

SDAhockey21
03-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Look Mom its Jesus!!! Him and his friends are walking on water!!! :eek: :eek:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=20034&stc=1&d=1174443663

hehehe lol

Monte
03-20-2007, 11:36 PM
One thing I am wondering is if the boat will break the suction of the mud once the water level comes back up... :confused: You may have to pump water/air under it to break it loose.

I'll put up a second on that! Darn! tough situation!! The only two good options I see are coptor or wait....:(

SDAhockey21
03-20-2007, 11:38 PM
How about this???

http://www.airdock.com/Web%20Collage.jpg

SDAhockey21
03-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Here is the link

http://www.airdock.com/

SDAhockey21
03-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Here look a MasterCraft on one....Looks just like my boat! minus the tower of coure!

http://www.airdock.com/WB-_Mastercraft_and_docks_102KadpGIF.jpg

PendO
03-21-2007, 12:02 AM
well, I just got off the phone with Ryan ... Wade has some large pontoons we can use ... the boat is essentially sitting on a dirt island now (the water has dropped even more) ... so, what about floating his trailer out to the "island" ... setting the boat on the trailer (manpower and enginuity), and rolling the trailer out into the water and re-launching the boat ... using plywood on the dirt/mud for the trailer wheels to roll on ... thereby eliminating the problem of surface tension ... and then floating the trailer back to land

thanks for the idea:)

Rich_G
03-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Wow, I saw this post earlier and now I came back and can't believe the number of responses. I think it is because this is a perfect guy problem..., something stuck in the mud..., there must be a way to get it out. We are task oriented.

I think some good old fashioned muscle is the way to go. About 20 guys, put some slings under the boat, with one that catches the front skeg. Lift and pull forward. You could also have a long rope attached to a boat in deep water putting several hundred pounds of force on the front tow ring. Your only expense would be some cases of beer and a couple dozen burgers for all the volunteers.

If you removed the prop it shouldn't hurt anything to pull it through the muck.

PendO
03-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Wow, I saw this post earlier and now I came back and can't believe the number of responses. I think it is because this is a perfect guy problem..., something stuck in the mud..., there must be a way to get it out. We are task oriented.

I think some good old fashioned muscle is the way to go. About 20 guys, put some slings under the boat, with one that catches the front skeg. Lift and pull forward. You could also have a long rope attached to a boat in deep water putting several hundred pounds of force on the front tow ring. Your only expense would be some cases of beer and a couple dozen burgers for all the volunteers.

If you removed the prop it shouldn't hurt anything to pull it through the muck.

I wonder how much force you can put on the front lifting ring? We have 400' of rope rated at 15000 lbs, but I fear that the ring would pull out of the fiberglass if we put that much force on it? Anyone know the specs on the tow ring?

Rich_G
03-21-2007, 12:25 AM
I wonder how much force you can put on the front lifting ring? We have 400' of rope rated at 15000 lbs, but I fear that the ring would pull out of the fiberglass if we put that much force on it? Anyone know the specs on the tow ring?

I don't know but you don't need to test the limits. I have loaded a boat where you could barely drop the trailer in, and had to winch the boat up onto exposed bunks on a steep ramp. I kept thinking the front hook would pull out, but I think it is somewhat overengineered. This was not an MC, but a v-drive over 3000 lbs.

erkoehler
03-21-2007, 01:19 AM

They can take ALOT....wouldn't want to find the breaking point though.

PendO
03-21-2007, 01:27 AM
They can take ALOT....wouldn't want to find the breaking point though.

yeah, me neither ... its not the 3000# boat I'm worried about, its the 3000# boat with 150 +/- square feet of adhesion in mud ... it will have a ton of inertia to overcome unless we can reduce the amount of surface area that has to slide ... one thing (make that two things) is/are for certain, there will be beer and there will be pictures:)

erkoehler
03-21-2007, 01:36 AM
If there is an extra person or two, a video camera is never a waste :)

Take it slow, and watch for stress cracks, if any become visible, you know you've gone to far.

jimmer2880
03-21-2007, 07:08 AM
Here is the link

http://www.airdock.com/

A buddy of mine has one for his nautique. They do work. But - what good would they do in this situation? You'd have the boat up out of the mud, but then what? You can't get anything under it because the bags would be in the way.

Dude - Leave it there & wait. If anything happens to it, that's what insurance is for.

hester
03-21-2007, 07:33 AM
I think a previous post had the right idea. They suggested using a gas powered water pump to blast the mud/sand out from under the boat.

These water pumps and the right pipe are used to drive pylons four to eight feet deep in the mud to build a dock so surley you can blast out a foot or two around your boat.

Just my 2 cents.

Jesus_Freak
03-21-2007, 08:15 AM
I think a previous post had the right idea. They suggested using a gas powered water pump to blast the mud/sand out from under the boat.

These water pumps and the right pipe are used to drive pylons four to eight feet deep in the mud to build a dock so surley you can blast out a foot or two around your boat.

Just my 2 cents.

I would not direct that sort of momentum toward my hull. :eek3:

Edit/Clarification: I would not direct that sort of momentum toward my hull with sand/rock/mud anywhere around.

SD190EVO
03-21-2007, 09:52 AM
They make amphibious excavators but if you can stand like that I'd bet you could get a wide-track excavator and just drive out and lift and haul it out. Few hundred bucks.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-21-2007, 09:55 AM
You're right, this is a problem. Something about the lakes in Washington. Last fall we had the boat stuck in ice, now this. Your right, needs a name....
Boatcicle...vs...
Muddycraft...:rolleyes:
Stuckcraft...:rolleyes:

This is exactly what I was wondering. Or as it was said before, it's like concrete. Hope it doesn't hold the boat under....

Workin' 4 Toys
03-21-2007, 09:57 AM
I wonder how much force you can put on the front lifting ring? We have 400' of rope rated at 15000 lbs, but I fear that the ring would pull out of the fiberglass if we put that much force on it? Anyone know the specs on the tow ring?From the looks of it, 400' won't be nearly enough. Especially if its dry now.

SD190EVO
03-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Similar to this...

Maristar210
03-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Get twenty four guys, twelve 2" tow straps under the boat and lift the damn thing

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

RobertT
03-21-2007, 10:43 AM
The suction will be an issue, but due to the shape of the hull not insurmountable. Using a pump to liquefy the mud/sand under the boat during the extraction would work but you are in essence sandblasting your boat.

Call the helicopter place, tell them what you need and that it will only take about half an hour. Tell them that they can do it at their convenience, and that you only need a few hours notice. If they can grab it on the way back from a pick elsewhere you may get it cheap.

$500.00 an hour including ground support is the going rate around here.

Man, don't call the fire department. They would love the challenge, but firemen are not known for their ability to keep things in pristine condition that they are working on/around. Trust me on that.

Dragging the boat, in any form, is going to do some serious damage to your gel coat at the least. You may end up getting somebody hurt, and/or further damage to the boat. Actually, its a probability.

I have snapped off 2,000lb test ropes with a 90hp outboard. I don't see how its possible, but having a bunch of boats yanking on things is going to be dangerous. The rigging, to do it right, will cost you several hundred dollars at a minimum.

Get the chopper out there and have them pick the sucker up and put in on your trailer. That's my .02, although the brainstorming was fun.

Sodar
03-21-2007, 11:10 AM
The suction will be an issue, but due to the shape of the hull not insurmountable. Using a pump to liquefy the mud/sand under the boat during the extraction would work but you are in essence sandblasting your boat.

Call the helicopter place, tell them what you need and that it will only take about half an hour. Tell them that they can do it at their convenience, and that you only need a few hours notice. If they can grab it on the way back from a pick elsewhere you may get it cheap.

$500.00 an hour including ground support is the going rate around here.

Man, don't call the fire department. They would love the challenge, but firemen are not known for their ability to keep things in pristine condition that they are working on/around. Trust me on that.

Dragging the boat, in any form, is going to do some serious damage to your gel coat at the least. You may end up getting somebody hurt, and/or further damage to the boat. Actually, its a probability.

I have snapped off 2,000lb test ropes with a 90hp outboard. I don't see how its possible, but having a bunch of boats yanking on things is going to be dangerous. The rigging, to do it right, will cost you several hundred dollars at a minimum.

Get the chopper out there and have them pick the sucker up and put in on your trailer. That's my .02, although the brainstorming was fun.

i agree....

ctkiteboarding
03-21-2007, 11:18 AM
i agree ,,chopper:D ,,, good luck

mig
03-21-2007, 11:19 AM
There must be some helicoptor logging going on in the Coure deAlene area, those guys are used to lifting loads and may be availabe locally.

RobertT
03-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Just about every area is served by a helicopter lifting service. They do a variety of things, but are mainly used for construction purposes. To be more specific, they lift air handlers to the roofs of buildings. Its much cheaper to spend $1,000.00 on a helicopter than try to get a crane large enough to put a air handler on the roof of a 30 story building (or a 2 story).

I know it sounds crazy, far fetched, to think that you can get a chopper for an hour or two but its not unless you live in the boondocks.

On every project that we have of any size, we count on one morning or afternoon where we cannot be on site at all. While a helicopter works, they do not let anyone under it except for the people that are doing to rigging. We don't mind, for obvious reasons.

jenglin
03-21-2007, 11:51 AM
I agree the helio is the best way. By the time you build floats or rent a excavator etc etc you'll have just as much money with a greater possiblity of damage to the boat. I would imagine the amount of suction the mud has on the boat is unbelievable.

I skied for a club that has a triple rig (725hp), it would pretty cool to have a long rope and guys lifting a pushing with the boat pulling to get it out. However, your boat is worth a lot of $$$ and it would do nothing but mess up the boat. I would hate to see you damage the boat getting it out and later regret not just bitting the bullet and renting the Helio. Plus it makes for a great story.

Kyle's_prostar205
03-21-2007, 12:10 PM
I agree aswell with the helicopter. I also agree and can attest to the statement that Fire Fighters are not very gentle on things! We aim to be quick and efficent in any circumstance and usually something suffers cosmeticly! Good Luck!

Mag_Red
03-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Just wondering............have you talked to your insurance carrier yet??? Every one here has had some great ideas, but what do your guys say??

Kyle's_prostar205
03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Just wondering............have you talked to your insurance carrier yet??? Every one here has had some great ideas, but what do your guys say??
I wonder if a lift via Helicopter would fall under the "towing" portion of the boat insurance policy?

AHUNTER
03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
If you can somehow pull the rudder and drive shaft, get a large amounts of plastic tarps and a water soluable slick substance - then slide that bad boy where ever you want! You would probably only need 2 to 3 sheets of plastic that could be used over & over again. If slick enough, you could likely pull the boat with an atv or small tractor. If the sand is hard enough, the boat will slide on top. If not, consider using semi hard styro foam mats (like tumbling mats) to keep the boat from digging into the sand.

I feel your pain - last summer my MC was in the boat lift with grass growing underneath it! Our cove dried up.

slink976
03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Has anyone suggest a winch and tarps? A winch can be place on a hill some distance away. Hill = leverage Tarps = slip throw on some boot juice and your golden. Dont worry about adding extra rope to the winch b/c you only need to pull for 50 yards.

Meaning- the winch comes stock with 100 yards of chain...
the winch needs to be place 500 yards away to reach the boat.
just buy the 400 needed yards to connect b/c you only will pull the boat 50 yards to safty. I would leave the tracking fins on so it will stay striaght and not go silly on ya!

Cheers mate, and best of luck to you.

Lee

Toober Tom
03-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Have you considered selling it where it sits?
I may be interested at the right price. I could just camp out in it until the water rises.

jrcarte78
03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm in the camp of stripping it down(as much as possible) and leaving it until the water rises or getting the helocopter. All the damage that could happen has already happened at this point. Why risk more damage?

I think all the sliding/rolling suggestions are gonna cause some significant damage to the hull.

I wish I was in Washington to lend a hand with you guys though.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I'll be watching intently for updates!

J.R.

:popcorn:

JimN
03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
OK, for those who missed it and want to have a bunch of people trying to lift a heavy object,

"The lake bottom is a soft mud/sand mix. (the mud will be a challenge, though)."

"The boat is about 50 yards away from water that is 2' deep or so. Also, the closest any larger boat can get to it, is about 80 yards away. This whole ordeal has become a major challenge, never to be repeated by this amateur boater."

If people go out there and try to lift it, remember that they may be trying to lift but the boat is pushing down with the same amount of force and the legs/feet will be shoved straight into the bottom. And we all know how easy it is to pull our legs out of much, right?

Last I heard, inboards have a shallow draft (at least that's what all of the sales brochures say) and if the boat is in 2' of water with soft sand and mud below, remove the prop and row it to deeper water, with a tow boat available (make sure a rope it tied to the bow and stern eyes before starting). If the propshaft goes into the mud/sand mix, it's not going to be damaged. Make sure there's weight in the bow so the stern raises a bit.

Call the insurance company and tell them that the water level dropped. How can they fault you for that? If anything is damaged in removing it, it's still not really your fault and if the boat is moving slowly, it's not going to be major damage unless someone planted a bunch of jagged rocks in your path.

JimN
03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Slink- show me a winch that will hold 500 yards of chain, that's not on a barge or tow truck.

chevy08bud
03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
If you do decide to try and pull it out with another boat, don't use the bow eye. I know that they are rated for a lot of lbs. but I don't think that you want to risk it. Instead, get a big a$$ tow strap (6" wide and 60' long and wrap it around the back of the boat, attach your big rope that you have, and pull from the front. The only thing you would have to worry about would be slippage, but put it below the transom eyes and it should be OK. If you don't end up dragging it, don't make the heilo put it on the trailer. I'd just have them lift it up, and put it back down in deeper water. It would be nothing for them to do this, and quick to boot. Then just tow the boat back to the ramp and see how everyting looks.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Jim, I am going with the assumption, that once 50' is used up, it could be removed.
FWIW- I don't like chain being involved when I winch. I prefer cable, however I am used to winching vehicles stuck in mud offroading, never took a boat with us out in the mud so I guess chain may be prefered...:rolleyes:

Jwhitsett1129
03-21-2007, 01:21 PM
If you can somehow pull the rudder and drive shaft, get a large amounts of plastic tarps and a water soluable slick substance - then slide that bad boy where ever you want! You would probably only need 2 to 3 sheets of plastic that could be used over & over again. If slick enough, you could likely pull the boat with an atv or small tractor. If the sand is hard enough, the boat will slide on top. If not, consider using semi hard styro foam mats (like tumbling mats) to keep the boat from digging into the sand.

I feel your pain - last summer my MC was in the boat lift with grass growing underneath it! Our cove dried up.

I would also get some women in bikinis to lather up in said slick substance and wrestle. A little background entertainment never hurt anyone :)

I wonder if KY or Astroglide will cut you a break for buying in bulk...:D :D

slink976
03-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Slink- show me a winch that will hold 500 yards of chain, that's not on a barge or tow truck.

That was my point! you only need 50yards, you can tie the extra to it do to it having to be so far away!

River Rat
03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
First call your insurance and then call the helo!! If you tear it up trying to get it out your insurance co may tell you “TUFF LUCK, you did it you fix it” It would s*ck to be paying for a boat with a cracked hull and then that $1500-$2000 would seem cheap…..get their advice first

Ric
03-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Just about every area is served by a helicopter lifting service. They do a variety of things, but are mainly used for construction purposes. To be more specific, they lift air handlers to the roofs of buildings. Its much cheaper to spend $1,000.00 on a helicopter than try to get a crane large enough to put a air handler on the roof of a 30 story building (or a 2 story).

I know it sounds crazy, far fetched, to think that you can get a chopper for an hour or two but its not unless you live in the boondocks.

On every project that we have of any size, we count on one morning or afternoon where we cannot be on site at all. While a helicopter works, they do not let anyone under it except for the people that are doing to rigging. We don't mind, for obvious reasons. I thought helicopter the first time I read this but didnt know the cost, so I just sat back and ate popcorn

this is a good idea I think
does you ski safe policy cover rescue or towing? that outta be fun to essplain

bigmac
03-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Make sure you get an experienced helicopter pilot.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOZty5a7Co0)

rodltg2
03-21-2007, 02:21 PM
thats crazy big mac..!

i dont know much about helicopters but it seems to me that you would need a pretty large one to lift 4500lbs or so. not your average helicopter. look how easily that one went down and it was just twing the boat.

ski_king
03-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Maybe you just need a bigger helicopter? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGsV0L4uOp8&mode=related&search=)

bigmac
03-21-2007, 02:41 PM
This helicopter pilot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhwgQvuaFo4)is probably looking for a new job, but I'm not sure he' be the right choice in this circumstance...

Masternorth
03-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Would a hot air balloon work to take some of the weight out and then your 20 friends could pull the boat where it would start to float?

C36
03-21-2007, 03:21 PM
BearX-1:

PM (duplicate by e-mail) headed your way.

BearX1
03-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks C36.

RobertT
03-21-2007, 03:44 PM
A good point was brought up. If you damage the boat during extraction, your insurance carrier will more than likely deny the claim.

If I remember right, my boat insurance policy covers the cost to remove my boat from a body of water if it sinks. I would guess that there is a very good chance that the removal of your boat at this point is a very valid insurance claim.

Even if your insurance goes up by 20% a year, it wont be even close to worth it to take the risk and go at it alone.

Monte
03-21-2007, 04:09 PM
A good point was brought up. If you damage the boat during extraction, your insurance carrier will more than likely deny the claim.

If I remember right, my boat insurance policy covers the cost to remove my boat from a body of water if it sinks. I would guess that there is a very good chance that the removal of your boat at this point is a very valid insurance claim.

Even if your insurance goes up by 20% a year, it wont be even close to worth it to take the risk and go at it alone.

I could be wrong, but... I doubt th insurance co. is going to help out very much. Unfortunately care, custody, and control are being taken, but it is almost too late. If you say too much, they may deny based on neglect. They will study the amout of time it took the water to drop to the current level thus putting the boat in the danger that it is in. Sadly they are more likely to cover it after it is at the bottom of the lake. An example. The ins co will not pay to take down a tree that is about to fall on your house, it has to fall first and cause damage. But, did you neglect the possibility of a loss?? Since the boat is not damaged yet. I doubt much of anything will be covered. I hope they do cover the removal, but I just don't think you should get your hopes up. PS if you plan to try extracation through the claims process DO IT NOW! Don't wait any longer.. The worse it gets well, the more likelyhood your claim will have to be denied based on care/ neglect of the property... Just my 2c on the insurance paying for it...

endl
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
I agree you have taken the prop off. No one is going to steal it. Take your cover out there, cover it and wait. If you dont live close, ask someone who does just to keep an eye on it and let you know if they see anyone messing with it. I know its hard to let it sit but I have messed with trucks, trailers, duck blinds, 4-wheelers, john boats ect stuck in rice fields when the water is down and when your dealing with soft mud and weight you will always lose. Best way is to float it out and the only way to do that with 4000lbs is to wait for the water to come up.

endl
03-21-2007, 04:58 PM
It will pop up like a cork! Septic tanks which weigh far more than that boat will pop up out of the ground if you dont fill them with water. You are dealing with extreme pressure the other way when the boat wants to float it will be no problem.

chudson
03-21-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't know if it's been talked about but wouldn't it be good to try and get the prop off if possible. If it gets drug through the mud and sand the blades if not damaged already will probably take a hit and possibly cause damage to the shaft!!! Just a thought!!!

Scratch the above it was just covered and "GOOD LUCK" Ryan

BearX1
03-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Hello again to everyone,

A lot of you have had great things to say, and again, I thank you all.

Someone commented on naming my boat . . . as a result of this fiasco the name of the boat is now, "The White Whale."

Thanks again to everyone.

Ryan.

rodltg2
03-21-2007, 05:05 PM
it would be quite a scenario to see this TT group try to recreate and build a pyramid..:D

G-man
03-21-2007, 06:11 PM
I would love to see this group show up with coolers of beverages, sit around the boat and figure this out. With this much creativity the boat may just get itself up and run away.

River Rat
03-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Run Forrest Run8p

Kyle's_prostar205
03-21-2007, 06:36 PM
With the way things go on this site you would think we could re-create man itself!

Bruce
03-21-2007, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=RobertT].

Robert T don't know where you get your info on firemen I suspect our trucks are washed and waxed more often than you MC!

CoFooter
03-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Bear, I had somewhat of the same poblem last year. I was ripping accross the lake about 40mph when I hit a sand bar. I got about 100 ft into it when the engine quit. I got out and I was in literally ankle deep water and all the running gear was completely buried. Everyone in the boat got out and a few others stopped to help. We had about 8 guys trying to move the boat and it would not budge. "Luckily, we were on an island type of bar and 100 ft or so in front of us was water deep enough to float a boat. We tied two barefoot ropes together, and tied on to the bow eye, the other end to one of the lifting rings on a 209. Then we had all eight guys lifting up on the transom end of the boat to take weight off and get the prop up as far as possible. Once it started moving which took a little time it did not stop. Bottom was thick mud (knee deep) and I did not get any damage doing this. Your situation may be worse, but this helped me. I was in desperation as it was end of wummer and out lake was going down, literally, a few inches a day. I feel for you and hope you get this worked out soon. If I remember, this really sucked at the time.

Ric
03-21-2007, 07:03 PM
it would be quite a scenario to see this TT group try to recreate and build a pyramid..:D uhhh noooooo... We have too many agencies and too many acronyms for this group or any group like it to build anything anymore.....

Harvey
03-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Just a thought here........if you go the route of the heli then I would still rent a pump and try to push some water into the mud around the hull. If you just dug a moat up against the boat and filled it with water it might help get it out. Or if you prefer you could just dig out one side of the boat so that the heli has less resistance to pull against, no pump needed.

My personal opinion is that the heli offers the best overall method but another cheap way to do it would be to get an A frame lift like your dealer might use to lift boats off trucks and onto trailers. Get it out to the spot with plywood to distribute the weight then lift it up and either put it on a trailer which you can use to get it to deep water or use the lift if it has wheels to slowly roll it to the deeper water. This would be a tedious and slow process but if your dealer is willing to help out with the use of the lift it might be almost as cost effective. The only cost at that point is manpower, plywood, and a barge to take the A frame out/back and to tow your boat in after it is in the water.

PendO
03-21-2007, 08:30 PM
So, last I heard from Ryan is that he is headed out to meet the helo pilot at our local MC dealership and they are going to let him use their lifting setup so that the helo can lift the boat up and put it in deeper water ... we are going to be out there between 9:00-10:00am on Saturday morning, if you want directions to come and help just send me a PM ... if someone has a small aluminum boat that we could use to shuttle people out to the island that might be good ... otherwise, bring some waders ... should be some good video to put up on you-tube:)

JohnE
03-21-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm too far away to help, but want to wish you guys good luck. Truthfully if it were my boat, I'd get it out using the helicopter. I'd hate to spend the money, but would hate the alternative even more.

BearX1
03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Hey there,

Yes, just to follow up, the helicopter should be there around 9:30 AM on Saturday . . . it's nice to know there will be some resolution soon, I probably can get some work done now.

Thanks again everybody, this has been quite an adventure.

Ryan.

WAT8415
03-21-2007, 09:20 PM
I can go get my little fishing boat from the lake, if someone wants to go with me I will be going on Friday after work, we could meet in Airway Heights. PM me if you want to go.

cst573
03-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Will the helo company have people there to rig the boat or are you going to have to do that?

BearX1
03-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey Wade, I was just in the process of calling you. cst - I will be doing the rigging. The helicopter will be there all of 5 min. for the rescue, and with me doing the rigging, it will save $$. . . .should be interesting.

kycat2007
03-21-2007, 09:33 PM
not reading all the other post but here are some suggestions

http://www.carterbag.com/salvage.html

cst573
03-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Best of luck to you.
Just remember you CAN'T have too much rigging, but you can have not enough!

Doug G
03-22-2007, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=RobertT].

Robert T don't know where you get your info on firemen I suspect our trucks are washed and waxed more often than you MC!

Yeah but those are our toys. We are not known collectively for our loving care when we are working a job and you know it :) Add beer to the boys at my house and the boat would be out but you can guarantee it'll need some work :D

Doug G
03-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Good luck with the lift. Rig it well. That would really s.ck if it went sploosh too soon from too high.

dapicatti
03-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Sorry we can't be there to help, let us know how it turns out.

PendO
03-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Good luck with the lift. Rig it well. That would really s.ck if it went sploosh too soon from too high.

Doug, you realize that you signature is probalby what all of us will be doing as Ryan rigs it up:) I think it will come in handy that he is a structural engineer, and the base of operations (house on the shore) is owned by a firefighter ... I'm just the attorney their to represent the person most in need of my services, although someone could lock me up with a small non-refundable retainer:)

Actually, my wife asked if she could bring the kids along so that they could see the helicopter ... my son is going to be talking about the helicopter and the boat for a long long time:)

Mark has a friend who makes professional wakeboard videos, maybe he can set the footage to music and put it on his next video - that would be SWEET!

Doug G
03-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Let's see, an engineer, a firefighter, beer (assumed), a helicopter, a stuck bote, lots of friends with good ideas, TTalk advise flowing freely and a lawyer. You couldn't make this up if you tried! I for one am going to be very disappointed if there isn't a video. If it wasn't the wrong coast you couldn't keep me away from being a witness for the highest bidder :)

dapicatti
03-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Let's see, an engineer, a firefighter, beer (assumed), a helicopter, a stuck bote, lots of friends with good ideas, TTalk advise flowing freely and a lawyer. You couldn't make this up if you tried! I for one am going to be very disappointed if there isn't a video. If it wasn't the wrong coast you couldn't keep me away from being a witness for the highest bidder :)
ROFLMAO!:) :) :)

Monte
03-22-2007, 12:51 AM
ROFLMAO!:) :) :)

Likewise..............

WAT8415
03-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Lmfao...............

PendO
03-22-2007, 01:11 AM
somewhere in all this there has to be a mastercraft marketing angle ... a picture in wakeboarding magazine with the caption "helicopter not included" ... I think Ryan could offset his costs with some creativity ... someone needs to buy rights to the pictures/footage :)

BearX1
03-22-2007, 01:19 AM
I got a call from the Sheriff, he'll be out there as well . . . guess he will keep us honest . . . :-)

Doug G
03-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Now your thinkin! Could work the images into a boat lift company pretty easy. Depth finder companies would probably love it too! Can you pull a skier behind the boat while the helicopter is lifting? How's that for a ski wake?

Edit: I can't belive I just typed that. Bet the firefighter would try it. I would :D

BearX1
03-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Hey Casey, that's funny stuff . . . I had a friend mention that I should call a television commercial company, and see if they wanted to somehow use the footage in a commercial. By the way, Casey, send me an e-mail, so I will have your address.

Cheers.

PendO
03-22-2007, 01:24 AM
I got a call from the Sheriff, he'll be out there as well . . . guess he will keep us honest . . . :-)

Is he bringing his raft or a real boat this time?

Man, I would skip the TV and get the footage for yourself, unless of course they want to pay for some exclusive interview time with you:)

*** edit, yeah, a tv commercial company would be great - just don't give it to the news stations for free

BearX1
03-22-2007, 01:28 AM
I'll see if my camcorder has a high resolution, so it will be worthy, :-) I already have the music picked out for the video . . . if any of you have seen Apocalypse Now, you should be able to predict the music I am going to use. . . "Ahhhh, nothing like the smell of napalm, early in the morning."

erkoehler
03-22-2007, 01:40 AM
If you get it lifted out by a helicopter, maybe MC would use the pictures of it in the air:

"Held to HIGHER standards" with the pic of the boat in the air!

BearX1
03-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Yah, I don't know if it looks too good to have a new M.C. being air lifted . . . kind of carries a negative connotation with it. I would imagine Malibu could have fun with it, though. . . ssshhhh! Mumms the word, :-)

jimmer2880
03-22-2007, 06:54 AM
I to am glad that this is finally coming to a (hopefully) positive end.

waiting for the video to come out. I already have the popcorn :popcorn:

Glad you aren't going to attempt to drag that beautiful boat.

JohnE
03-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Yah, I don't know if it looks too good to have a new M.C. being air lifted . . . kind of carries a negative connotation with it. I would imagine Malibu could have fun with it, though. . . ssshhhh! Mumms the word, :-)

What if it were implying that the chopper were the only way to get the boat to the water or something. Skip the initial footage and show the chopper droping it into the water. Remote lake, no roads to it or something......

Or Maybe I'm missing something and your going to land it on the trailer?

Jet
03-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Best of luck to you Bear X1 !

Hope everything goes according to plan on the weekend.

JohnnyB
03-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Best of luck this weekend. Take lots of pics and video for us and to maybe recoup some of the costs.

Jet, nice Avatar.....Slapshot was an awesome movie....what was the name of the brothers?

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Bear,
Just a reminder as you may have bigger things on your mind:
1) Prop...you'll need it to get back to the dock. Put it back on before the lift, or can you do it underwater?
2) Something keeps telling me you'll want to verify that no mud got sucked into your cooling passages before you try turning it over. Maybe someone more familiar would be able to verify if this should be a concern?
3) GOOD LUCK and take pictures and video. There's always youtube!
Take care!
Paul

chudson
03-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Hey there,

Yes, just to follow up, the helicopter should be there around 9:30 AM on Saturday . . . it's nice to know there will be some resolution soon, I probably can get some work done now.

Ryan.

Goodluck Bud, be in to work early monday to see how things went. Meanwhile..... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kyle's_prostar205
03-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Good Luck! Keep us posted!!!!

Leroy
03-22-2007, 11:25 AM
If you haven't already I would check with your insurance agent about coverage during this operation. I've found boats have the strangest exception clauses.

Hey there,

Ryan.

rick s.
03-22-2007, 01:22 PM
...keep the lift as short as possible, put the boat back in the water asap!

RickDV
03-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Bear,
Just a reminder as you may have bigger things on your mind:
1) Prop...you'll need it to get back to the dock. Put it back on before the lift, or can you do it underwater?
2) Something keeps telling me you'll want to verify that no mud got sucked into your cooling passages before you try turning it over. Maybe someone more familiar would be able to verify if this should be a concern?
3) GOOD LUCK and take pictures and video. There's always youtube!
Take care!
Paul

You may also consider that the boat may not run right away. You should have a "tow me home" option lined up.

Hope all goes well for you. Be safe!

Skibumtx
03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Good luck this weekend!

Let me know if you need video posted.

BearX1
03-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the words, everyone. Yah, I will be towing the boat straight to the launch, and will do a full inspection/flush, before running it again. The actual lift will only be 60 yards, or so, and will be 5' above the water, (max). If there are any Mastercraft factory workers/engineers out there, I would be curious if there is a published center of mass for the boat? I anticipate having to estimate it, but, thought I would throw the question out there.

Again, thanks for the words. I'm new to this board, and most of the posters seem like cool people.

Cheers.

woody
03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Our clubs got an 2005 X2 in all white, the only difference from your boat being the graphics..... it sits on a two axle trailer with very little weight on the jockey wheel, so I'd guess somwhere around the ski pylon, give or take a bit. But one of the dealers on here ought to know centre of gravity as they crane boats every so often. Good luck with it all.

C36
03-22-2007, 03:01 PM
...If there are any Mastercraft factory workers/engineers out there, I would be curious if there is a published center of mass for the boat? I anticipate having to estimate it, but, thought I would throw the question out there...

BearX1:

Page 34 of the 2006 owners manual (attached) has some info on lifting.

mhsb1029
03-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Ryan, let me know if there is anything that I can do to help. I am going to come out on Saturday with my brother and dad. I will make sure that I bring my video camera, my buddy who shoots films for a living is going to be out of town, but his last words to me were, "shoot as much footage as you can, maybe they will even let you film from the chopper". I don't think the whole film from the chopper thing would go well with the pilot; however, if they would allow it, would you please place me first on the list for the chopper ride.;)

Casey, seems like now might be a good time for use to invest in that new digital SLR camera.

WTRSK1R
03-22-2007, 11:40 PM
What if it were implying that the chopper were the only way to get the boat to the water or something. Skip the initial footage and show the chopper droping it into the water. Remote lake, no roads to it or something......

Agreed. Something like "When you own a Mastercraft it does not matter what it takes to get to the lake."

or
New Waterski...$600
New Ski Vest...$100

Whatever it takes to get your new Mastercraft to the Lake...Priceless.

:D

WTRSK1R
03-22-2007, 11:41 PM
I forgot to add. Good Luck this weekend. Looking forward to seeing the video. Hope everything goes smootly, and that no one get hurt.

AirJunky
03-23-2007, 02:28 AM
Hey Casey & Ryan,

It's way late to say this, but we were at Vantage beach on the Columbia several years ago. They had a situation the previous weekend where the DNR lowered the level of the lake during the night. They had over 20 boats high & dry on the beach by morning, and probably 100+ people wondering how the he11 they were going to get out of there. They ended up lifting the boats by hand, and pulling with another boat out in the water. They only had 10' or 20' to go, but it did work. It sounds like you might have quite a crew out there.

I'll be out there on Saturday. Just let us know what time. Let us know if we should bring anything..... shovels, drysuits, hip waders, etc. I've got a badass ATV that we used to pull a Tahoe out of the snow with a few weekends ago...... lets drag the boat off the sandbar! ;)

BearX1
03-23-2007, 02:55 AM
Hi Bill,
Yah, we are pretty much in motion. We did contemplate using brute force, to haul it out, however, the mud is pretty miserable, and trying to coordinate enough people was becoming difficult. The chopper will be arriving between 9:15 and 9:30 AM, or so. If you are out there by boat, we would greatly appreciate rides to and from the shore . . . there may be a fair number of people out there. I will be getting there at 8:00 AM and am heading straight to the boat to get the rigging figured out. Hope to see make your acquaintance, out there.

It should be an interesting experience.

Cheers.

JKTX21
03-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Bear, I have kept up with this post, as I'm sure many other TT memebers have. Truly sorry I cannot be there to help or offer moral support tomorrow, but I will be wishing you guys the best!

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Hi Bill,
Yah, we are pretty much in motion. We did contemplate using brute force, to haul it out, however, the mud is pretty miserable, and trying to coordinate enough people was becoming difficult. The chopper will be arriving between 9:15 and 9:30 AM, or so. If you are out there by boat, we would greatly appreciate rides to and from the shore . . . there may be a fair number of people out there. I will be getting there at 8:00 AM and am heading straight to the boat to get the rigging figured out. Hope to see make your acquaintance, out there.

It should be an interesting experience.

Cheers.

How do you plan to lift the boat, are you going to put it in slings or use the lifting rings?

PendO
03-24-2007, 01:39 AM
How do you plan to lift the boat, are you going to put it in slings or use the lifting rings?

lifting rings, they went out to the local MC dealer and got the strap setup that they use ... for a dealer that didn't even sell them the boat, and is loosing the MC line, alpine haus is being quite helpful

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Cool, that should work out for you guys. If you have any pieces of carpet, or thick rags laying around, bring those to put between the rubrail/hull and the straps.

Mag_Red
03-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Should be just a few more hours till lift off!:popcorn: :popcorn:

Ric
03-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Agreed. Something like "When you own a Mastercraft it does not matter what it takes to get to the lake."

or
New Waterski...$600
New Ski Vest...$100

Whatever it takes to get your new Mastercraft to the Lake...Priceless.

:D "Who needs a trailer anyway" :rolleyes:

Ric
03-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Tick Tock

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 01:32 PM
I just got the first pic from Pendo on my cell phone, should be uploaded in a minute!

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Well, the weatherman (Pendo) says, "Rainy" is the current conditions for boat lifting :)

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Upon arrival at the boat today, they encountered A TON of mud!

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Setting up for the lift....

Flatwaterfooter
03-24-2007, 01:54 PM
I don't like to have sandy feet in my boat, looks like you may need to clean the carpet to get all the mud out.

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 02:15 PM
No turning back now.....

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 02:15 PM
one more.....

C36
03-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Erk:

Thanks for posting the pictures and congratulations to the rescue party! Glad to see the boat headed home.

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Here it is :)

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 02:34 PM
ok, last one....have to go to work :)

pram
03-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Excellent rescue guys. There has to be some kind of advertising gimmick in these pictures there just has to be.

Congratulations and great job once again.

bigmac
03-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Unbelievable. What a great adventure!!

Please tell me someone got that on video.

erkoehler
03-24-2007, 02:44 PM
They are still at the lake as of now, just talked w/ PendO....should be getting more info/pics shortly!

dapicatti
03-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Wow!
Thanks Erk and Pendo, felt like we were there with you! I hope there is some video of this. Great rescue effort.

suedv
03-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Bear, I'm so happy for you. What a relief this has to be!

MCX2RYD
03-24-2007, 02:53 PM
My mouth is still agape!! Thank goodness you went with the helicopter.. there was not other way really that you would get it out. Congrats!

MCX2RYD
03-24-2007, 02:55 PM
That is so cool. Where did you guys lift it too???

Hrkdrivr
03-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Um...WOW! That must've been a scary sight to watch your baby being whisked away like that...

AirJunky
03-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Great fun guys! Glad it all worked out.

AirJunky
03-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Hope you had a nice walk home..... :rolleyes:

Foilin_fool
03-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Bill, why weren't you out there in the mud, instead of sitting comfortably on the shore with a beer??

Cliff

AirJunky
03-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Casey suggested a bunch of us wait at this place that was empty & for sale..... I was the only one there. Later I found a bunch of family & friends a block or so down the street.
It really was an easy process. Hours & days of planning & the whole "extraction" only took about 5 minutes.
The neighbors were telling me that boats get stuck in this area all the time. But their usually little tinny fishing boats, not 3000 lb wakeboard boats. To give you an idea how shallow it is, the funk in the lake in this area is visible on Google Maps.

TOO-TALL
03-24-2007, 03:44 PM
WOW...Thats Cool.

X2M
03-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Good to see that you guys got it out of the mud. :)

Thanks for the pictures too, it was very cool to see. :cool:

bigpack20
03-24-2007, 04:21 PM
cool pics!

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Congrats Bear...and all those who helped him out! My stomach would have been in knots from the beaching until the first few outings after extraction!

PendO
03-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Unbelievable. What a great adventure!!

Please tell me someone got that on video.

my brother and another guy each shot video from the "island" and there was a local news station with a camera on the shore ... man it was awesome:)

PendO
03-24-2007, 04:42 PM

PendO
03-24-2007, 04:43 PM

mhsb1029
03-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I am working on getting some of the raw footage onto the net right now, give me an hour or so and I should have something for everyone to check out. What an amazing experience, I can not wait for you guys to see this S$%& it was unbelieveable. Should have a few pics up in about 10 minutes or so.:)

PendO
03-24-2007, 04:45 PM
look at the tighness of the cable and the proximity of the boat to the dock, this takes parallel parking to the next level ... I guess the pilot has actually flown scenes in Mission Impossible, he literally docked the boat from the chopper.

PendO
03-24-2007, 04:49 PM

PendO
03-24-2007, 04:52 PM
close up ........................................

PendO
03-24-2007, 04:56 PM
you see the eagle?

PendO
03-24-2007, 04:59 PM
tilting ...................................

mhsb1029
03-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Here are some pictures from today!

PendO
03-24-2007, 05:06 PM

mhsb1029
03-24-2007, 05:07 PM

mhsb1029
03-24-2007, 05:08 PM

mhsb1029
03-24-2007, 05:09 PM

mhsb1029
03-24-2007, 05:09 PM

mhsb1029
03-24-2007, 05:11 PM
more pics from today

AirJunky
I was pretty far away from it, but here is the video I ended up with..... 2.5 meg .wmv file (http://airjunky.com/temp/MCextraction.wmv)

mhsb1029

Bruce
03-24-2007, 05:12 PM
you see the eagle?

"It's a bird! It's a plane! It's oh sh-- it's a boat!
I heard it said those Mastercrafts would really fly!!

bigmac
03-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Jeez that's cool...let's all buy that chopper pilot a beer..:toast:

Bad news is...MasterCraft has seen these images and now BearX1's hull warrranty is void...;)

PendO
03-24-2007, 05:13 PM
chopper ..................................

Jet
03-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Good to see that everything went well, Bear X1 !
Pics were amazing !

PendO
03-24-2007, 05:18 PM
when they first arrived they dropped off a walkie talkie so ryan could communicate with the pilot ... which was great, b/c when they first initiated the liftoff one of the straps was twisted and ryan is yellign into the walkie talkie "no" and the chopper was so damn loud I figured he wouldn't hear and just flip the boat over on its nose ... the lifting capacity of the chopper was 4000# and they said (and I think ryan said that they told him it was 3570 when they pulled it up) ... the auto bilge was going off when he lifted it up initially - crazy

PendO
03-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I was pretty far away from it, but here is the video I ended up with..... 2.5 meg .wmv file (http://airjunky.com/temp/MCextraction.wmv)

bill, that is great:) I'm glad you were able to come out, sorry about my bad directions ... my son keeps wanting to watch your video over and over again ...

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I wonder where this thread will end up in the overall ranking of # of views? Amazing chronical of a story.

PendO
03-24-2007, 05:30 PM
I wonder where this thread will end up in the overall ranking of # of views? Amazing chronical of a story.

i think they should merge the two threads.

AirJunky
03-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Or when it will pass up the Tige in the frozen lake thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6368&highlight=tige)?! :D

dapicatti
03-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Do you guys know which TV station was there? A friend of ours works in the news dept for the NBC station in spokane...just wanted to see if we could get copies of their footage.

AirJunky
03-24-2007, 05:48 PM
I think the guy said he was with channel 2.... which is the CBS affiliate - KREM (http://www.krem.com/)

PendO
03-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Do you guys know which TV station was there? A friend of ours works in the news dept for the NBC station in spokane...just wanted to see if we could get copies of their footage.

it was Krem2 ... CBS station