PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Panel ... cracked

atlfootr
01-18-2005, 02:18 PM
The corner's of '93 MC dashboard's Instrument Panel have cracked from over tighting ... It appears to be black in color. I have made a template and would like to replace the old one w/ a new.

What kind of "Plexglass" or "Lexan" material is it? :confused:

milkmania
01-18-2005, 02:21 PM
The corner's of '93 MC dashboard's Instrument Panel have cracked from over tighting ... It appears to be black in color. I have made a template and would like to replace the old one w/ a new.

What kind of "Plexglass" or "Lexan" material is it? :confused:

it's been an on-going discussion....
plexiglass, lexan, aluminum, etc...... then you gotta label it somehow

but I really like the way tph did this one!!!
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/15683_S_S_dash.jpg

atlfootr
01-18-2005, 02:27 PM
"Sweeeeeeet Job", but I'm plann'n to stay w/ the original factory style.

milkmania
01-18-2005, 02:46 PM
here's what probably 1/2 of mine look like :(
http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/screw.JPG

Here's good cross section
http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/lexan.JPG

I'd like to get mine fixed also

atlfootr
01-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah MM,

Mine's the same thing, ya must of just gone outside and took a digital!
That's instant gratification :woohoo:

milkmania
01-18-2005, 02:54 PM
no, I took it a while back to send to a machine shop buddy of mine.....

he said he's actually got some black plexiglass or Lexan they used for another job, but there's not enough material to complete my job:(

he's trying to find out where they got it from

milkmania
01-18-2005, 02:59 PM
here's ya an actual shot.....rather large file: 1.5 mb

but in large view will show you grerat detail and fonts for the label

http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/pod1.jpg

atlfootr
01-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Same deal w/ mine except all 3 of the 4 corners are cracked ... could you plz let me know where I can get some of the same stuff?

Thanks .... :dance:

milkmania
01-18-2005, 03:27 PM
just got off the phone with a lady at a local silk screening shop, she said her inks would not cure on plexiglass/lexan type plastics:(

but she told me of a local plastic manufacturing plant that uses "hot stamp" process for some of their whirlpool parts. It burns the letters in, then fills them with ink afterwards.

I'm going to get in contact with them. She seemed concerned with setup fees for small amounts of parts.

ski_king
01-18-2005, 04:16 PM
McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com/ and MSC Supply www.mscdirect.com are 2 big supply houses where you can buy plastic sheet. There are others as well that specialize in plastic, sorry, I donít remember their names at the moment. I would suggest HDPE or polycarbonate (lexan) plastic to prevent the holes from cracking over time. I do not know if it comes in black or not, but it is tough stuff.

Both of these plastics can be engraved.
You also have the option to go with aluminum, stainless sheet or even wood.
Since my boat came with genuine imitation plastic wood grain, I chose 1/4 in. thick oak plywood and put about 10 coats of helmsman spar on it to protect it.

I made a switch plate from plastic and engraved it to label the switches.
I used the computer-controlled engraver at work one day at lunch and it took less than 15 minutes to set up and engrave. Since then, new management put a stop to "government" work, or I would offer to engrave a plate for you.

atlfootr
01-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks Pwrslot and MM,

I have an old McMaster-Carr Catalog #107 and looked on page 3166, it list both Black Polycarbonate and Glass-Filled Black Polycarbonate. Says that re:Glass-Filled Black Polycarbonate, it's 20% glass-filled to provide superior tensile strength. Which one is better over the other?

There's about a $40 difference in price between the two, not really sure how thick I need it to be. Thought 1/4' was standard, however I'm not sure.

BrianM
01-18-2005, 09:00 PM
What is the size of that panel? I just replaced the panel on my '88 Prostar that houses the ignition, hour meter, horn button and kill switch. For my application I did not need labels. I got a piece of black Lexan that worked perfect. It does have a little more gloss than the original however. I paid $20 for a remnant piece and they cut me the 'blanks' for my panel. I used a Dremel tool to cut out the spaces. Worked perfect. I have six more 'blanks left for the '87 to '90 Prostar. They are 5"x5 1/2" If these are the same size as yours I would be glad to mail you one or if they don't fit if anyone with the same vintage Prostar as mine wants one I will send it to you.

atlfootr
01-18-2005, 11:29 PM
What is the size of that panel? Mine are 5"x5 1/2" If these are the same size as yours, I would be glad to mail you one or if they don't fit if anyone with the same vintage Prostar as mine wants one I will send it to you.

Just checked self-made templates -- looks like (Height) 5 x 11 3/4 (Width), not sure if it would work.

What do you think? :confused:

BrianM
01-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Looks like it will come up a little short ;)