PDA

View Full Version : exporting boat

sizzler
03-20-2007, 09:33 AM
guys.......friend of mine is interested in a boat that is in Las Vegas....he wants to buy it and bring it back to England......oh..its an x7
1. how far is it to drive from Las Vegas to New York.....
2.cost of hiring SUV/truck or getting it transported.....
3 any members do freight forwarding across the atlantic......

if anyone can come up with some answers....most appreciated

thx chaps.....

bcampbe7
03-20-2007, 09:39 AM
guys.......friend of mine is interested in a boat that is in Las Vegas....he wants to buy it and bring it back to England......oh..its an x7

thx chaps.....

1. About 2525 miles
2. Probably about $500
3. No idea, sorry...

There are companies that will haul the boat from Las Vegas to NY. Check with TScott on here. He has shipped cars across the US. ;)

sizzler
03-20-2007, 09:41 AM
thanks beau...........

bcampbe7
03-20-2007, 09:44 AM
thanks beau...........

I should probably correct #2. I thought you were asking about renting a truck and hauling it yourself from Las Vegas to NY.

If I had to guess on having someone transport it I would say $800-$1000. Again, TScott will have more information. :cool:

TMCNo1
03-20-2007, 10:18 AM

thx chaps.....

Ron Belcher, Belcher Trucking, Vonore, TN, 1-865-856-0225, does MasterCraft's short haul/LTL East Coast/ MidWest boat deliveries out of Vonore. He has several drivers and a stable of Dualies that can haul 2/3 boats. A deal could maybe be worked out for him to pick the boat up in Vegas during a delivery and take it to NY rather than him running home empty and he could maybe stop back by Vonore and get a boat or 2 to deliver to the NE at the same time. A TT member (kas) had him leave Vonore, go to Wyoming, pick up a '72 MC and bring it to him in CT, then back to Vonore for around $2100, but they couldn't work out a co-delivery at the time he needed it. Worth a phone call!

east tx skier
03-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I know someone on the Vonore side of Texas that would be happy to hang onto that boat until he can pick it up. ;)

Sodar
03-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Check out uship.com. I have gotten a few quotes and for the boat to be towed it is ~$.75 per mile and for a boat to be hauled (on a flatbed) it is about $1.35 per mile. If you have any questions, let me know!

Ric
03-20-2007, 10:26 AM
would your friend happen to be one of those from "England" that offers more than the boat is worth and then the vegas guy sends him the difference in cash?

Maristar210
03-20-2007, 11:11 AM
would your friend happen to be one of those from "England" that offers more than the boat is worth and then the vegas guy sends him the difference in cash?

Now Ric, is that necessary? 8p 8p 8p

Sodar
03-20-2007, 11:12 AM

HA HA HA!! I have been getting soooo many of those emails lately!!

sizzler
03-20-2007, 11:13 AM
ric.......he's a personal friend ,and i would not even entertain the thought of wasting evrybody's time and expertise with a useless set of questions............

so...that would be a NO.......

sizzler
03-20-2007, 11:14 AM
I know someone on the Vonore side of Texas that would be happy to hang onto that boat until he can pick it up. ;)

CAN I GUESS WHO IT COULD BE DOUG.......CAN I,CAN I??

Ric
03-20-2007, 11:20 AM
ric.......he's a personal friend ,and i would not even entertain the thought of wasting evrybody's time and expertise with a useless set of questions............

so...that would be a NO....... DAM I was gonna make an offer

I mean a personal friend of a guy who exchanges money! hell ya, I want in

endl
03-20-2007, 11:24 AM
You need to call a IMC "intermodal consolidator" , freight forwarder, or steamship line and get container rate quotes. If you get a 40 foot container you can load the boat, secure it in the container and then it gets transported in the same vessel all the way over. "Door to Door". If you haul it to the port then, have someone else put it on the container then you dont have any control over the loading what goes on the container with the boat ect. Also they will put that container on the rail to the port and it will be less than trying to haul it across the country and then put it on the boat. My guess would be about 5k in the expense.

sizzler
03-20-2007, 11:25 AM
DAM I was gonna make an offer

I mean a personal friend of a guy who exchanges money! hell ya, I want in

funny guy/gal.........

dh_bennison
03-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi,

Just a quick bit of info, thats worth knowing.

MC UK make a real big deal out of being unhelpful to non Uk MCs if you ever have any problems with the boat. I went to see them before Christmas and the Sales managers exact words were "I can make it impossible to sell any imported MC and I will if I see one" Not quite sure how they can do it but the threat was their. Imports also tend to be worth alot less when you come to resell them (however you will probably have paid alot less in the first place) The other cost to bear in mind is CE approval, I know certain lakes and marinas will not let you launch unless you have a certificate (cost about £2k).

I looked seriously at importing but luckly found a bargin in the Uk as the owner was emigrating. Its amazing how much cheaper MC s are in the US! Good Luck hope it goes well.

Ric
03-20-2007, 12:44 PM
eggs and chevrolets are cheaper in the country

sizzler
03-20-2007, 12:50 PM
i have a uk boat dave.......and my friend is well aware of certain difficulties that will arise...ie servicing and re-sale........the initial savings are huge,,but as time goes on ,he knows the margins of savings over ease of dealer friendliness diminish.....i know about the CE problems, but i have never been asked anywhere for any documentation or if the powers that be even know what one is.....a sticker that can easily be replicated if need be.....

the only problem could be that the steering wheel is on the other side....

rodltg2
03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
when i looked at shipping a boat i was about 1.00-1.50 a mile. the best pirce i got was from a guy who was already dropping a boat off and would be going back the same direction anyway, so he was about half the cost. try uship., you get multiple quotes.

dh_bennison
03-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Good stuff! As I say I think I would have done the same if my current boat had not come up for sale. You carnt really lose more choice better prices its win win.
Hope it all goes well for you.

PS Stupid question but how did you know my name?

endl
03-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Your gonna pay a lot if someone charges you by the mile going to England?????

André
03-20-2007, 05:42 PM
You want me to look for something in Montreal?Might be even cheaper in CDN $
It would be right in the spot for overseas shipping.
New MC dealer is on the St-Lawrence river,in front of the big ships...

erkoehler
03-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Sizzler, I sent you a PM....

André
03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Sizzler, I sent you a PM....
Stay off Erk!:mad:
This is my customer!!!
8p ;) :D

erkoehler
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Stay off Erk!:mad:
This is my customer!!!
;) :D

Hey now :)

phecksel
03-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Neighbor took his Mastercraft home to South Africa when he moved back. Basically got a container, built a ramp, backed it into the container and strapped it down.

Another friend started a business in Panama, and took his Mastercraft down. Did something very similar. Apparently isn't a big deal.

Footin
03-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Erkle is going global!