PDA

View Full Version : One lock cylinder on the entire car

JohnnyB
03-19-2007, 07:19 PM
So,

We've got a chev impala rented for the week. The rental company just gave us the key, not the wireless keyring controller. Because of this, I realized there is only one lock on the entire car...yup just the drivers side door. No trunk, no passengers side.....bet that saves some $$$ in manufacture.

WTRSK1R
03-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Had a rental about a month ago, and had the same issue. I was quite surprised when I walked up to the car from the passenger side and wanted to put something in the car. No lock. So I walked around the back figuring I would put it in the rear. No lock there either. I had to unlock the drivers door, and then hit the power lock button to put the bag in the back seat. I asked someone I work with who owns a Subaru, and he said he never noticed since he always uses the keyfob to unlock the doors.

Another fine cost savings initiative. I guess it sort of makes sense.

TMCNo1
03-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Had a rental about a month ago, and had the same issue. I was quite surprised when I walked up to the car from the passenger side and wanted to put something in the car. No lock. So I walked around the back figuring I would put it in the rear. No lock there either. I had to unlock the drivers door, and then hit the power lock button to put the bag in the back seat. I asked someone I work with who owns a Subaru, and he said he never noticed since he always uses the keyfob to unlock the doors.

Another fine cost savings initiative. I guess it sort of makes sense.

It's my understanding that when it comes to rental cars, they only use the 1 key because they file the other keys and remotes, because they are now so much more expensive to replace if lost during the rental period. Then the original keys and remotes will be available when the cars are taken out of rental service and then sold as program cars with the original keys and remotes like new.

shepherd
03-19-2007, 10:08 PM
My experience has been the opposite. Whenever I rent cars, I end up with two fat keys on the remote keyfob. Why give me two keys? And they're wired together so they can't be separated. It's irritating because it's just a bigger lump to carry around in my pocket. I just figured it was to make it easier for the rental company to keep track of its keys if they all stayed together.

BrianM
03-20-2007, 08:35 AM
On a rental with no remote it would be a bit of a pain but with your personal vehicle you would never notice a difference. My '05 Outback and the '07 Avalanche each only have a single lock on the drivers side. I don't think I have ever put the key in the locks though.

phecksel
03-20-2007, 12:06 PM
So,

We've got a chev impala rented for the week. The rental company just gave us the key, not the wireless keyring controller. Because of this, I realized there is only one lock on the entire car...yup just the drivers side door. No trunk, no passengers side.....bet that saves some $$$ in manufacture.

Actually it does save a significant amount of money, and customers almost never use a key, much less the key on the pass door. Dealer saleman told me about a customer of his called in a panic, because she couldn't unlock the car door. Young lady, 19, who didn't know the key would open the drivers door. Every car she had ever driven had a fob. Some cars are going to come {or already in prod} with NO key

Ric
03-20-2007, 12:09 PM
IIRC my 05 chivvy crew has only one outside lock tumbler and that's on the driver's door

sanjuan23
03-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Savings or not it's still kind of a PITA wife's company car (Impala) only has the one on the drivers door and I dont like carrying an extra fob. I miss the Murano when all you had to carry around was the little smart key in your pocket.

shepherd
03-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Some cars are going to come {or already in prod} with NO key

I hope you're kidding. What if the battery on your remote dies, or your car battery dies? The remote key fob for my 1999 Tahoe died years ago. I wouldn't be able to get in it without the key.

Monte
03-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I hope you're kidding. What if the battery on your remote dies, or your car battery dies? The remote key fob for my 1999 Tahoe died years ago. I wouldn't be able to get in it without the key.

I was about to make the same statement..
I guess that is when you get to use your cellphone to unlock the door:rolleyes: ;)
If the car battery dies I guess you just have to leave that one sitting and buy a new car..
See automobile manufacturers is smart!!!:rolleyes:

Monte
03-20-2007, 01:05 PM
If you turn the key twice to the unlock position it will unlock all the doors.. If that helps any... Don't ask me how I know.......

Ric
03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
I hope you're kidding. What if the battery on your remote dies, or your car battery dies? The remote key fob for my 1999 Tahoe died years ago. I wouldn't be able to get in it without the key. I built a truck once that had no key tumblers..... or doorhandles for that matter... you opened the doors with a keyring remote (this was in the 80's )

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-20-2007, 01:35 PM
It's my understanding that when it comes to rental cars, they only use the 1 key because they file the other keys and remotes, because they are now so much more expensive to replace if lost during the rental period. Then the original keys and remotes will be available when the cars are taken out of rental service and then sold as program cars with the original keys and remotes like new.
I dont know why.....the majority of program cars we get dont have the damn remotes in them:mad: They get "lost" somewhere along the way.....:mad: Then the dealer has to buy them so we can sell the car......:rolleyes:

Ric
03-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I never had a mullet .

rcnjson
03-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I built a truck once that had no key tumblers..... or doorhandles for that matter... you opened the doors with a keyring remote (this was in the 80's )

Looks like the general had the keyless/handless back in '83. The chrome D's and 'dros are aftermarket :D
k

Ric
03-20-2007, 05:13 PM
we aint talkin bout no battery stealer, we are talking remote control in the 80s baby what year model is that sunbird in the background?

rcnjson
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
we aint talkin bout no battery stealer, we are talking remote control in the 80s baby what year model is that sunbird in the background?

Not too sure. I can find out though. That sunbird was my buddy Monte's daily driver. He got it for $500, didn't have a top on it. He drove it for a few days with just the top frame up to get a laugh or two. He does interiors and convertable tops so for him that is quite a deal. I think he still has that thing.
k