PDA

View Full Version : 84 SS Starter Motor

MMCCAR12
03-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Took my 84 SS out for the first time this season to the river and had the starter stick in the cranking mode after I turned the key to the crank position. Just kept cranking by itself after the key was released. I remenber it doing this about 2 years ago after sitting for the winter. After about 10 seconds it stopped by itself "just before I was ready to freak out and yank the battery cable".

Used the boat all weekend and it never did it again. However it is not starting as easy as it did last summer. It cranks and does not start until you let the key go. Then it catches and runs fine.

What do you think.

MMCCAR12
03-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Is anyone using the Overtons electronic ignition conversion ? No more points and condenser. If you are how is it working?

Slinkyredfoot
03-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Possibly a little lube to the bendix might help, at times they do stick and this was the first time out this season correct? Is the starter fairly new or is it the original equipment?

Slinkyredfoot
03-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Is anyone using the Overtons electronic ignition conversion ? No more points and condenser. If you are how is it working?
Converted mine last season, fires faster than it ever did with points. In fact, I fired the old 351 up this weekend and it fired immediatly, I love it. TJack:D

MMCCAR12
03-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Did you use the Overtons kit? Did you have to remove the ballast resistor or do anything to the advance mech. or change the ing. coil?

It is the original starter from 84 "598 hours on boat"

JEREMY79
03-19-2007, 07:42 PM
not starting until you let the key off sounds like an ignition module box.

Slinkyredfoot
03-19-2007, 08:14 PM
not starting until you let the key off sounds like an ignition module box.

Take J79's advise, he is a heck of a lot smarter than I am, Glad you are "checked in" J79, good to see a post from you....
ANy new pics of your boat? :cool:

MMCCAR12
03-20-2007, 09:58 AM
What and where is a ignition moule box on our boats? What does it do?
I thought we had basic points and condenser.

chudson
03-20-2007, 10:12 AM

Best thing I ever did for her, fires great every time!!! Got it through skidim......... http://www.skidim.com/

Monte
03-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Took my 84 SS out for the first time this season to the river and had the starter stick in the cranking mode after I turned the key to the crank position. Just kept cranking by itself after the key was released. I remenber it doing this about 2 years ago after sitting for the winter. After about 10 seconds it stopped by itself "just before I was ready to freak out and yank the battery cable".
What do you think.

Had a similar problem in mine. It sounds like the selenoid is sticking. NAPA has a replacement for @ $20. It takes maybe 15 minutes to switch out. You may want to take the old one off and take it with you to the store.

TRBenj
03-20-2007, 10:48 AM
When the starter doesnt disengage, its indicative of a low voltage condition. Check your battery cables for corrosion or damage and get the battery tested.

You may have also damaged the solenoid. If you replace it, make sure you get a starter solenoid, not a continuous duty (they look the same). The starter solenoid is rated to handle much more current.

ski_king
03-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Sounds like the starter relay to me.
Mine gave the same warnings a few years ago and I thought the problem had passed.
Then when I had the boat full of people it stuck again and would not stop until I disconnected the battery.

Got a new one for $20.00.

My suggestion is to replace the relay now.

CLICK HERE (http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R130001)

JEREMY79
03-20-2007, 07:16 PM
What and where is a ignition moule box on our boats? What does it do?
I thought we had basic points and condenser.
I have no idea on an 84. I was just guessing because an 84 ford truck has the same problems. Long starting time and usually will fire when the key is released. I dont know if a boat has one or not, just a guess. my boat does because it is an ignition system off of 1985 ford truck

sam196370
09-14-2011, 09:17 AM
I have been dealing with the same issue, touch the battery cable to the battery and with the ignition key in the off position it will crank. Replaced ignition, new Arco starter (working till 1am last night) - problem still there. Will try new relay and battery is definitely weak so I'll give that a charge.

On another note - while taking out gas tank I seem to have lost the fuel filler neck that bolts to the deck, seems like it's tough to find one that's 2in - all seem to be 1.5in. Any reconnendations where I can pick one up?

Thansks!

03geetee
09-14-2011, 09:14 PM
I have been dealing with the same issue, touch the battery cable to the battery and with the ignition key in the off position it will crank. Replaced ignition, new Arco starter (working till 1am last night) - problem still there. Will try new relay and battery is definitely weak so I'll give that a charge.

On another note - while taking out gas tank I seem to have lost the fuel filler neck that bolts to the deck, seems like it's tough to find one that's 2in - all seem to be 1.5in. Any reconnendations where I can pick one up?

Thansks!

Did you check Skidim?

JTR

TNPIG
09-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Thansks!
I have an 84 S&S and was thinking about trying to pull the gas tanks this winter to tighten up my teak platform brackets. Any suggestions to make the job easier? Of course I filled the tank up last time out of the water and probably won't put it back in this year, so I'm already starting out on the wrong foot. Thanks

sam196370
09-15-2011, 09:50 AM
I'd recommend getting that gas out somehow - my tank was probably less than half full and moving that thing around solo is not easy. While you're in there I'd replace any seals that may need it in the near future.

JimN
09-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Low voltage won't make the starter continue to crank unless the solenoid contacts weld themselves together because someone continued to crank the engine when the battery was almost dead- something many people do, in hopes that everything will be fine after it starts. It's similar to pressing remote control buttons harder when the equipment won't respond.

The Bendix is sticking because it hasn't been lubed on a regular basis.

Cloaked
09-15-2011, 07:38 PM
I have an 84 S&S and was thinking about trying to pull the gas tanks this winter to tighten up my teak platform brackets. Any suggestions to make the job easier? Of course I filled the tank up last time out of the water and probably won't put it back in this year, so I'm already starting out on the wrong foot. ThanksThe platform doesn't work that way if it is in its original configuration. It's a project in itself to tighten the platform (per se). You will actually need to remove it from the lag bolt fasteners, cut into the floor, place a backing plate and thru-bolts, then re-establish a new fastening system. Been there on several occassions with the 80s models. You can also expect to have some glass repair and painting where the brackets come off. I have seen fiberglass come off down to the hull material (see the second pic, the first 4 pics are actually a collage of one picture).

The platform is secured with lag bolts that are lagged into the cross-section of the stringer. It is a poor way of construction but that's how MC chose to do it... Allow for a few days of keeping the boat tilted up and allow water to seep back out through the new holes. If the connections are lose, there's water in there.

These are pics of my last repair a few years back on an 85 model.

PS ==> Sam, this thread was resurected from 4.5 years ago... :D...... Just put a new starter on that b1tch and be done with it... if that's not the problem, it needs a new starter anyway. www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com)

thatsmrmastercraft
09-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Nice work, sir.:toast:

sam196370
09-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Replaced the starter relay which solved the starter sticking problem and installed the new Arco starter which was an easy job....now onto the DUI distributor once the (correct legnth) livewires are delivered.

TNPIG
09-17-2011, 10:36 AM
The platform doesn't work that way if it is in its original configuration. It's a project in itself to tighten the platform (per se). You will actually need to remove it from the lag bolt fasteners, cut into the floor, place a backing plate and thru-bolts, then re-establish a new fastening system. Been there on several occassions with the 80s models. You can also expect to have some glass repair and painting where the brackets come off. I have seen fiberglass come off down to the hull material (see the second pic, the first 4 pics are actually a collage of one picture).

The platform is secured with lag bolts that are lagged into the cross-section of the stringer. It is a poor way of construction but that's how MC chose to do it... Allow for a few days of keeping the boat tilted up and allow water to seep back out through the new holes. If the connections are lose, there's water in there.

These are pics of my last repair a few years back on an 85 model.

PS ==> Sam, this thread was resurected from 4.5 years ago... :D...... Just put a new starter on that b1tch and be done with it... if that's not the problem, it needs a new starter anyway. www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com)

Forget that. I'll do more damage than anything. I figured you could just get to the other side and tighten them up. The top bolt on each side are the ones that are loose, the bottom ones are good. I guess I'll just leave them the way they are.

Cloaked
09-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Forget that. I'll do more damage than anything. I figured you could just get to the other side and tighten them up. The top bolt on each side are the ones that are loose, the bottom ones are good. I guess I'll just leave them the way they are.Can't say as I blame you, however, it will eventually break loose (beyomd your control and preference at the worse time) as people use the platform. For now, you basically have the lower lags holding it in place (since the tops are not tight). It's not that big of a job if you're prepared to see it through. Find a good gelcoat person and you're in business, the rest is just mechanics.