PDA

View Full Version : Need Trailer Advice!?!?

jenglin
03-19-2007, 05:26 PM
I have a 88 TriStar w/ an Oklahoma trailer. Does anyone else have an Oklahoma trailer with their MC? Do you think this is orginal or an aftermarket trailer?

The problem is: The boat sits low in b/w the fenders of the trailer. The sides of the boat are kinda of getting beat up from the fenders and fenders are also getting pretty beat up from the boat. My thought is raising the bunks of the trailer by replacing the old ones (1 2x4) with 2 2x4's stacked on top of each other or just using 4x4's as my new bunks. This would lift the boat off the trailer 1 1/2-2 inches so the sides of the boat are not resting on the actual fender.

I thought I could buy the right size lumber, carpet them and when I unload the boat I could just quick swap the bunks. Is this easier said then done? Has anyone ever done this? My tracking fins also only have about an inch of clearence, so by raiseing the bunks the fins would have more clearence and help put my mind at ease.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

Sodar
03-19-2007, 05:37 PM
I have a 88 TriStar w/ an Oklahoma trailer. Does anyone else have an Oklahoma trailer with their MC? Do you think this is orginal or an aftermarket trailer?

The problem is: The boat sits low in b/w the fenders of the trailer. The sides of the boat are kinda of getting beat up from the fenders and fenders are also getting pretty beat up from the boat. My thought is raising the bunks of the trailer by replacing the old ones (1 2x4) with 2 2x4's stacked on top of each other or just using 4x4's as my new bunks. This would lift the boat off the trailer 1 1/2-2 inches so the sides of the boat are not resting on the actual fender.

I thought I could buy the right size lumber, carpet them and when I unload the boat I could just quick swap the bunks. Is this easier said then done? Has anyone ever done this? My tracking fins also only have about an inch of clearence, so by raiseing the bunks the fins would have more clearence and help put my mind at ease.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

I would recommend a couple things. First, I would narrow my uprights (if you have them) to only allow the boat minimal lateral movement. Next, I would carpet the inside of the fenders, to prevent the boat from hitting them and causing damage... also, if you have a blowout it protects the tire from getting to the gelcoat.

jimmer2880
03-20-2007, 06:34 AM
I can't say for sure about your trailer, but my trailer, the 2x4's actually bend to contour the hull. I'd be concerned about getting enough flex from a pair of stacked 2x4's, or a 4x4.

sanjuan23
03-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Stacking another set of boards on top of your current bunks might possibly put quite a bit of shear load across the lag bolts and channel brackets. Leading to bigger problems down the road. Just my opinion.

TMCNo1
03-20-2007, 10:06 AM
If it is a Oklahoma brand trailer then it is not a MC trailer. Alot of dealers over the years west of the Mississippi would and still do order some of their boats less the trailer to save some money and shipping, then place them on locally or regionally built trailers that were a little cheaper and not necessarily built by the exact the same specs. as a MC trailer. As in your case, the width between the fenders for the boat is less than a MC trailer, with little or no carpet or protection for the boat from hitting the fenders. Many owners do not realize the construction and fit of a trailer is as important as the boat itself and after the damage is done and they realize it, it is too late. You are now realizing a problem existed with this non MC trailer 19 years later, where previous owners may not have noticed or cared.

Monte
03-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Just an idea. Have you tried or thought about placing a sheet of plywood, cut to fit the boat side of the fender, mounting it and covering it with carpet?

jenglin
03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
The fenders on the trailer does have carpeted plywood on them which helps protect the boat, but after years of loading and unloading the plywood is starting to crack and get soft while the fenders are starting to rust. If the boat is not loaded on the trailer absolutely square then all of that weight is on the plywood putting pressure on the fenders. My whole thought to raising the bunks would help give me some more space b/w the fenders and not putting so much pressure on the plywood/fenders if the boat is not absolutely square and protect my gelcoat. Any other thoughts of how to fix this issue???

Diesel
03-20-2007, 02:50 PM
FYI, Oklahoma trailers were channel beam trailers manufactured by Dorsey Trailers in Kingfisher OK. I do believer they still stock parts and might help you out.

http://www.trailersbydorsey.com/

jenglin
03-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks alot Diesel!!! I checked out the website and I'm gonna give them a call later today. At least now I have a place I can get parts at.