PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Wheel care

captain planet
03-19-2007, 10:19 AM
So, this weekend I repaired the breaks on my trailer (put on new wheel cylinders) and repacked my bearings. While doing this I noticed how I have neglected the aluminum rims on my trailer :o . They have gotten dull from being in and out of the water over the years.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to use to get them looking good again? I am afraid to experiment since alum is pretty soft and can scratch easily.

trickskier
03-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I have had good results with this product............:D

captain planet
03-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Tricky. I am going to go and check out products, but I wanted to get an idea of what worked well and was safe.

chevy08bud
03-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I would first use a spray on cleaner for the wheels to get them clean and then use a wadding polish to thouroughly clean and polish the wheels. The spray on cleaner that I have found works best is DuPont Teflon Tire and Wheel Cleaner. You can spray it on both the tires and wheels and it will clean both very well, and can be used on all types of wheels. The wadding polish is made by Eagle One and works very well on any type of wheel as well. It is in a silver can and when you open it, it looks like there is a bunch of cotton in it. This cotton contains the polish and cleaner. Just tear off a little chunk and rub all over the wheels or any other metal that is looking oxidized or dull, or just dirty. Let the liquid haze on the metal and then buff off with a soft cloth. It will stick around and protect your wheels for a while as well.You will not be dissapointed!

Sodar
03-19-2007, 12:38 PM
I do not have a favorite polish... I usually go with the Meguiars Aluminium Polish/Paste, followed by a finer polish, which is pretty much any liquid that I can find that has a fine abresive to it... cleaner waxes included. What I have found that I ABSOLUTELY love is the Power Ball by Mothers. As a kid, my dad would pay me $3 an hour to polish all the stainless around the big boat... it would take me an entire weekend, if I had the powerball, I could have had it done in about 3 hours... Well worth the investment!!
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mot-05140_cp.jpg

Jkelly
03-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I do not have a favorite polish... I usually go with the Meguiars Aluminium Polish/Paste, followed by a finer polish, which is pretty much any liquid that I can find that has a fine abresive to it... cleaner waxes included. What I have found that I ABSOLUTELY love is the Power Ball by Mothers. As a kid, my dad would pay me $3 an hour to polish all the stainless around the big boat... it would take me an entire weekend, if I had the powerball, I could have had it done in about 3 hours... Well worth the investment!!
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mot-05140_cp.jpg
I used the power ball as well with either mothers power metal polish or blue magic.

TMCNo1
03-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Try Tarnite Metal Polish from Ace Hardware for around $4 can, it's a liquid, cleans up easy, washes out of rags and application sponges. Works 3 times faster than anything I have ever used. I can polish my 3 fins and strut in 10 minutes by hand.

BCBlazers
03-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Professional strength aluma-brite or professional strength air conditioner coil cleaner work the best as far as ease. Just take care that you dont leav it on there for too long. But either one will do the deal

PendO
03-21-2007, 11:47 PM
So, this weekend I repaired the breaks on my trailer (put on new wheel cylinders) and repacked my bearings. While doing this I noticed how I have neglected the aluminum rims on my trailer :o . They have gotten dull from being in and out of the water over the years.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to use to get them looking good again? I am afraid to experiment since alum is pretty soft and can scratch easily.

Look for a shop that details over the road trucks ... they have the equipment to polish the fuel tanks, etc ... in spokane there is a local place that will polish aluminum wheels for 35 bucks a piece ... my dad ran a set of 17" polished aluminum wheels all winter than they look like crap from all the liquid de-icer, took them in to the detail shop and they buffed them out to look better than new ... inbetween polishing they have used a product called AlumaClean 3000 or 8000 or something like that, but I would have someone just use a high speed polisher.

Doug G
03-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Never used the power ball but have had absolutely awesome results with mothers.

TMCNo1
03-22-2007, 09:02 AM
I went to my cleanup supply guy yesterday to pickup some stuff and he was telling me about this new metal polish he had for $29.95/QT. He has a copper/aluminum/brass panel there on the wall to try any one or all of his 8 brands of polish (Eagle 1, Mothers, Flitz, Neverdull, Brasso, Blue Magic among others) he sells to clean-up shops, new and used car dealers, truckers, street rodders and motorcycle riders and shops. I just happend to have a can of Tarnite in the car that I had just bought at ACE Hdwe for $4.15/9oz. can. I had been telling about it for about 10+ years and he kept bragging on all the fine polishing products he sells. 1 can lasts me 2-3 years, polishing fins, strut, trick release, galv. part of brake actuator, diamond tread on the trailer and van every 2-3 weeks. I got it out of the car and polished the whole plate of metals in about 30 seconds and it blew him away. When I left he was on the computer getting contact info for Tarnite so he could order some immediately.

M-Funf
03-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I use my Nevr-Dull on aluminum...well, actually I use it on all metal surfaces.

Wenol is also a great product. I use it on my SS appliances. It says it's good for highly polished aluminum as well.

Wenol Blue (http://www.wenol-polish.com/wenolblue.html)

RexDog1
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Wenol and the Mother’s power ball:D

I have had good results with all Mother’s products

I will try Tarnite Thank You …………..:wavey:

Workin' 4 Toys
06-04-2007, 11:45 PM
I like this stuff (http://www.wti-fenders.com/metal-polish.htm)

Yeah, it's called Hoosier:o ...So what...:rolleyes:

captain planet
06-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Well, I tried that nano polish Tricky suggested. Worked pretty good, except with all the little nooks and crannies in my rims I am going to get one of those Mothers Power Ball thingys. They are like $23 at AutoZone for the one that fits in a drill. I figure it is the perfect thing to use that free $20 I have accumulated on their card.

trickskier
06-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Well, I tried that nano polish Tricky suggested. Worked pretty good, except with all the little nooks and crannies in my rims I am going to get one of those Mothers Power Ball thingys. They are like $23 at AutoZone for the one that fits in a drill. I figure it is the perfect thing to use that free $20 I have accumulated on their card.
How about some pics???

fintek9
06-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Never used the power ball but have had absolutely awesome results with mothers.
"MOTHERS" is the only way to go on all my alloy parts.........
chrome, brass gets it all done beautyfully!