PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wiring...

Putter
03-18-2007, 11:27 PM
Just finished painting my trailer to day and now she needs all new electrical. Never wired a trailer before and I am going to get after it tomorrow, any tips I should be aware of before I go jumping into it. Or well just your own basic how to that might be better than the standard way?

shepherd
03-18-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm in the middle of rewiring my trailer too so will be interested in any tips. I got all new LED lights. I also got some liquid electrical tape to seal all my connections. Anybody use that before? Good?

dichdoc
03-18-2007, 11:55 PM
here's a good site with some good schematics.
http://www.searay.com/PDF/Towing_Guide/4wiring.pdf
I personally am over the crimp connnectors and have gone to soldered conections and heat shrink tubing for everything and have had alot less problems. Grounding is key. A good tutorial on soldering. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328619&page=2
almost forgot a pair of these are a great investment saves time and hassle. Just put the wire in squeeze the handles and the wire is stripped.http://www.amazon.com/GB-SE-94-Automatic-Stripper-Crimper/dp/B00004WLL0 They are a hassle to crimp with but nobody is doing that anyway right? Unbeleivable Sheperd! once again you have stolen my thunder and posted before me! LOL

bbeach
03-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I used clear silicone to seal all my connections once I was done...

trickskier
03-19-2007, 11:35 AM
I like to solider my connections then use shrinkwrap tubing to seal them. Stay away from butt-end connectors............corrosion..........

TMCNo1
03-19-2007, 11:50 AM
I had always hated trailer wiring, till I redid our trailer. I did a schematic of the wiring as I disassembled it. When I started rewiring, I pulled the main wires first and used a emergency jump start power pack using alligator test leads from the plug at the hitch to the power pack and installed one light at a time and tested to be sure it worked, before going to the next one, rather than wiring them all at once, then finding that I had a problem and having to go back and correct things if problems occur.

shepherd
03-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I like to solider my connections then use shrinkwrap tubing to seal them. Stay away from butt-end connectors............corrosion..........

I was planning on using butt connectors and the blade-type splicers, then sealing each with liberal amounts of liquid electrical tape. Wouldn't that prevent the corrosion problem?

Slinkyredfoot
03-19-2007, 12:17 PM
I concur, it is really very simple, the trickiest part for me was to get a good ground on each light after I had my tralier painted. Godd luck, it was a fun job, after it was completed, and all of the lights came on it was a beautiful sight, jst another flimsy reason to taost and have an ice cold beer.:toast:

trickskier
03-19-2007, 12:27 PM
I was planning on using butt connectors and the blade-type splicers, then sealing each with liberal amounts of liquid electrical tape. Wouldn't that prevent the corrosion problem?
It probably would.....Just a personal preference of mine to solider the connections and use shrinkwrap............I've already cut all those type of connectors off my trailer........:rolleyes:

Sodar
03-19-2007, 12:34 PM

You can use butt connectors, but go to West Marine and buy the Anchor Shrink Wrap Butt Connectors. Here is what I did on my trailer:

-Strip wires
-Apply a little bit of terminal grease to the stripped ends
-Crimp the wires into the connector
-Use a heat gun to strink the shrink wrap around the wires

My trailer wiring has worked flawlessly!!! LED's are the SH!T!!!
http://images.westmarine.com/large/332320.jpg

trickskier
03-19-2007, 12:39 PM
I concur, it is really very simple, the trickiest part for me was to get a good ground on each light after I had my tralier painted. Godd luck, it was a fun job, after it was completed, and all of the lights came on it was a beautiful sight, jst another flimsy reason to taost and have an ice cold beer.:toast:
I'll drink to that..............:D But then, I'll drink to most anything........:friday: