PDA

View Full Version : Looking for PS 205 open bow or equivalent recommendations $15k-$18k

Ski-me
03-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I am looking for my first boat for the family and would love to have an inboard for slalom skiing. The next requirement is an open bow for the 3 kids and wife. I've grown up on free skiing in Idaho behind many stern drives (Searay and Cobalt) but have since skiied behind a Nautique and a slalom course. I truely loved it and it opened a whole new world! I would love to get my family into it but living in Colorado, makes spending a lot of cash for a land-locked area not very practical. So I'm looking for advice/experience with open bow, inboard boats with a price range of $15-$18k. Of course would love EFI but it may not fall into our price range. The boats I have discovered or found interest was the Prostar 205, Malibu Response LX and a Nautique (something?).

Any experience or advice?

First post and I did search a little for the 205 but could find anything other than the 205V.

Thanks in advance!

JKTX21
03-18-2007, 10:06 PM
I think a nice 205 can be had for this price. I have been talking to my mechanic about one he has, he may sell it. It's a 95 or 96, and has tower and brand new interior. I think he may ask around the upper end of your price range.

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 10:07 PM
I do not know if the Sport Nautique was around then but it would fit the bill as well. Your price range is nice enough for a 1994-1996 Prostar 205. Compared to the Nautique and the Malibu I think you will find not only Fuel Injection but much better Dock Appeal! Awesome rides with incredible performance and wakes! Many on here have one of these said rides and all rave about them. 94 and newer MC's factory Fuel Injection. Other rides came around later.;)

Leroy
03-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Look on the marketplace on this board!

I looked and there are many 205's in that price range. You can get a nice 205 for that.

erkoehler
03-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Send a private message to Footin...I hear his 1994 ProStar 205 may be for sale. He is really jones'n for a 197 :)

His boat is mint too!

Ski-me
03-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I never got this much response on the WaterSki mag forum.
Are there some hull differences for specific years and are they different than the Prostar 190?
Perhaps I'm wrong but it looks like most of the 205's I've seen don't have EFI. Was it an option in 94 or was it standard?
Finally, I've seen quite a few comments on the 205V as being a very firm or hard wake, is this because the engine is in the back? Also, is the 205 and 205V the same hull or different?
Thanks for all the help! We just don't have a lot of MC around to look at here.
Oh, should I worry about any wooden stringers, etc? Any known problems to look for?

Sorry for all the questions!

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2007, 12:49 PM
No wood! Fuel injection 94' and newer I believe and 93' as an option only.

205 has some great wakes for slalom. There are some great shots of the wake here as well. Big difference between 205 and 205V will be your budget I believe. I could be wrong but you should be priced for the 205 94-98' and not the 205V as entry $$ should be much higher. At the prices you have given the 205V may not be a player.

Good luck! NO WOOD!:D

Wakes below!

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52

causewayskiier
03-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Love my 92 PS 205, doesn't have EFI but runs great anyway, maybe harder to start than EFI. Seems to me that you get a lot of boat for the money with a 205 say vs a 197 etc. It has a nice slalom wake.

Ski-me
03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks! I am not interested in the 205V so if it's out of my price range, no problem.

Sodar
03-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Check out Kyle's... it is in Colorado and might be worth the extra $$$$.

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1216&cat=5

Ski-me
03-19-2007, 01:33 PM
It looks like the 205 has a little more spray and maybe a slightly bigger bump than the 190. Are they similar?

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Spray is no where I ski! Very short line. The Acme will help with the bump at 22' off but I do not notice this at all. Bump is very similar on both I believe. I have only skied a 94' 205 and thought the wake was very nice!

hacker
03-20-2007, 10:00 AM
It looks like the 205 has a little more spray and maybe a slightly bigger bump than the 190. Are they similar?

You nailed it...

I have a '92 205, and love it. 28 off and beyond the wake is butter. You will start to feel spray at 28, but if you pay attention to weight distribution it's not that bad.

Here is all the info you will need about ProStar 205's: 205 info (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5337&highlight=prostar+year)

Here is a picture of the wake at 28 off:

east tx skier
03-20-2007, 10:49 AM
I've got some wake pictures at all slalom speeds behind my 93 190 here (http://www.bhammonster.com/shoot-out.htm).

shepherd
03-20-2007, 02:48 PM
I've got some wake pictures at all slalom speeds behind my 93 190 here (http://www.bhammonster.com/shoot-out.htm).

I think he meant his 93 205 (?)

BTW, good test report ETS. First I've seen of it.

jraben8
03-20-2007, 02:51 PM
I just saw this. Might want to at least call...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/boa/276584689.html

Ski-me
03-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks Hacker that is just what I was looking for! A side by side comparison for each year. Also, thanks for the craigslist ad. It does look like its in good condition.

Hacker, after all of your research, in your opinion, which year did you feel was the best?

Larryp
03-21-2007, 02:05 AM
type in texasmastercraft.com. They have one. Of couse if its there in two weeks I'm trading' in the 190.

hacker
03-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks Hacker that is just what I was looking for! A side by side comparison for each year. Also, thanks for the craigslist ad. It does look like its in good condition.

Hacker, after all of your research, in your opinion, which year did you feel was the best?

OOPs...I can't take credit for the research! NSXBill did that.

I do believe for slalom the 92-95 model years are considered best. Although I have skied behind my friend's 98 on occasion and thought that skied very nice as well.

Mikey
03-21-2007, 12:35 PM
As others have said. The 92-95 will be better for slalom than the 96-newer. You should have no problem at all finding a 92-95 for your price range. In fact if you pay more than 16K for a 92-95 then you paid way too much IMO. I bought my 97 205 with 500hrs, tower, bimini, custom stereo, sharkskin cover, etc. in excellent shape for 18K. Dont jump on an overpriced boat just because it is there and you are eager to get in one. There are good deals out there, you just have to be patient some times.

daverbeck
03-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I just bought a 1994 205 with less than 400 hours for $14,000 so you are in the right ball park. My first MC. My buddy's '87 190 is getting tired.

Waiting for the ice to thaw off the Wisconsin lakes while I buff out the oxidation.

Going to Orlando next week on business and sneeking the ski along to get in a lesson for my winter fix.

Dave

Ski-me
03-24-2007, 11:35 AM
That sounds like a pretty good deal! After looking at all the changes through the years, I think the 94' or 95' looks to be about the ideal year. I do like the red boat someone posted from the Craigslist in Dallas but the price is higher than yours and the hours are also higher than yours. Let me know how the boat turns out! It looks like my funds to purchase won't be available until May 31 so I can't jump on anything yet. I hope you enjoy your new ride!
JEff

cm02WS6
03-27-2007, 10:34 PM
I learned the course and skied for years behind my dad's '95 PS205. It's a great boat, with good wakes and enough space for the family. I still think that its a damn good looking boat. For that price range, you definately can't beat the combination of performance and spaciousness, especially when you compare against the Nautiques and Malibus of that era.

I didn't see anyone answer your question about the hull changes, so we'll see if I can remember correctly. Basically, the 205 is a stretched version of the 190. When the 190 changed hulls in '95, the 205 stayed for a year and then changed to the newer version in '96. The older style hull is generally regarded as having a better wake, which others have mentioned already.

Footin
03-27-2007, 10:43 PM
If you can find a nice 94 or 95 205, jump on it quickly. When I was looking for one I called on two or three that sold the day after they were listed.

I have been very happy with my 94.

east tx skier
03-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Whoops! Yeah, should've said 205.

I think he meant his 93 205 (?)

BTW, good test report ETS. First I've seen of it.

Ski-me
03-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks all for the input! I have looked at the Malibu and Nautique and I will say the 205 seems to be a really good fit. In particular (with everyone's help) I will be looking for a 94 or 95, EFI with the LT1 engine if possible. I also have seen a handful that are really trashed! If I can find one that someone has had pride of ownership, that's the one. I will most likely really start looking around June 1st (money wise). I will also be in the N. Idaho/E. Washington area at that time during the summer. I should be able to test it out all summer long on Hayden Lake.

Thanks again and I can't wait!

bkblaida
04-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Purchased a 97 205 2 years ago and have been very pleased. The boat holds ten, has a great slalom wake and is excellent for wakeboarding.
The deeper freeboard is great for young children and helps in rough water. You are right in that you will find a lot of trashed boats but as others have pointed out with a little work you will have your pick of premium used boats for around your price point. We paid $18,000 and can sell today for $18,000. Not bad for a boat.

Ski-me
04-09-2007, 09:19 PM
OK - probably not the best place but I need to start somewhere. As I was looking in Idaho a few days ago, I did swing by the Nautique shop. They suggested a 1997 or newer Nautique "SNOB" (Ski Nautique Open Bow). The reason is for the TCS1 hull change for 97.

Of course, he thinks it is far superior to the Mastercraft but I do need some opinion here.

I also have stumbled across a Nautique Sport which is also open bow but with a walk-through. I am thinking the Sport is more of a blend for skiing and boarding whereas the SNOB is basically their traditional pure ski machine with the front section cut open. Also, I don't know much about the year difference and if there was a transition from Ford engines to GM engines.

Besides my love for GM engines (Mastercraft), is there some comparable reasons why I should also look at the Nautique? Through my limited amount of research, it appears there are also two more hull changes, TSC2 and TSC3. Both seem to be a better improvement to the wake than the previous version. The 94-95 hull on the Mastercraft seems to be the more desireable for slalom than the latter years.

Any tips? Thanks!

east tx skier
04-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Jeff, due to the posting guidelines regarding promoting other brands, you probably won't be able to get answers to that question that aren't favorable to MC. I think the best advice is to drive and ski whatever you can and, considering the quality of local dealer support, make the decision that is best for you and yours.

Ski-me
04-10-2007, 03:38 PM
East TX,

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't realize we couldn't discuss subjects that would be unfavorable to MC.

On the upside, I did see quite a few folks on the Nautique website comment on how nice the wake was on the 205 and more specifically, the years hovering around 1993-1995. I'm hoping I will get an opportunity to try a few while in Idaho/Washington this summer. It seems pretty hard to find a boat, let alone a lake, in Colorado to test drive.

I have seen some pretty nice ones in TX (your area!) but hard to shoot down there for a test drive.

If anyone comes across a 94-95 205 in great condition, please pass it on. If possible, would like the LT1 engine due to the horsepower loss at our elevation (6500 ft).

Thanks!

east tx skier
04-10-2007, 03:45 PM
East TX,

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't realize we couldn't discuss subjects that would be unfavorable to MC.

On the upside, I did see quite a few folks on the Nautique website comment on how nice the wake was on the 205 and more specifically, the years hovering around 1993-1995. I'm hoping I will get an opportunity to try a few while in Idaho/Washington this summer. It seems pretty hard to find a boat, let alone a lake, in Colorado to test drive.

I have seen some pretty nice ones in TX (your area!) but hard to shoot down there for a test drive.

If anyone comes across a 94-95 205 in great condition, please pass it on. If possible, would like the LT1 engine due to the horsepower loss at our elevation (6500 ft).

Thanks!

Yeah, not one of my favorite rules around here, but not my website, and so it goes. I think I saw your post over on the PN forum. Yes, nice wakes for that hull design.

onlyinboards
04-10-2007, 11:04 PM
check my sig file :) lots of used MCs there.

Ski-me
04-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm checking your site daily....thanks!

Jim@BAWS
04-12-2007, 09:18 PM
http://www.bayareawatersports.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=1010845&bvdid=3121&type=AN&indid=1&site_type=template&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&

Just came in 2 days ago

Jim@BAWS