PDA

View Full Version : CRASH - Our Suburban

PendO
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Well, we had a car accident today with our 07 Suburban, two kids in the middle row, prego wife in the passenger seat, and me ... the guy in the red car ran a red light, never touched his brakes ... every single airbag in the suburban deployed, everyone in my vehicle appears to be okay, my wife went to the hospital this afternoon as a precaution to make sure all is good with the baby ... I cannot say enough about the safety features in our Chevy, they did their job, onstar was awesome ... plus the wreck was about 4 blocks from the nearest fire station and about the same distance from the police station ... the guy in the green durango said he felt okay, but his airbags didn't go off, the guy in the red car had to be taken away in an ambulance, I guess he hit his head on his side window ... even if they can fix the suburban my wife wants a new one, as she says whe will likely not trust that the safety features could be re-installed as well as OEM, I think we have 8 airbags (3 per side for the safety cannopy and front for the driver and passenger), the rear glass door popped open upon impact, the car seems to be a bit shorter so it cannot close, the passenger door cannot open, front windshield is cracked from impact and/or airbag deployment ... I am just so thankfull for airbags and seatbelts ... as you can see the engine is leaking a bit of fluid ... thanks for the safety of our vehicle we all walked away!

PendO
03-18-2007, 08:21 PM
there is red paint on the hood of my car from the little red car

PendO
03-18-2007, 08:23 PM

PendO
03-18-2007, 08:25 PM

PendO
03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Nice to hear you guys are OK! Sorry to hear of the event. Take care Casey! Take care of the family as well. Not only does your ride appear very safe it is awesome looking! Give the family my regards. Next run go to DQ for some ice cream!:o

suedv
03-18-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm thankful you and your family are OK. What a frightening thing to go through.

sanjuan23
03-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Wow and Glad to hear everyone is okay turned out better than when some idiot ran a red light and hit us last year. But better yet glad to hear you all are okay.

mhsb1029
03-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Casey, glad to hear that you all are ok. I can not believe how well your suburban held up, that thing is a freakin tank. Makes me realize that I need to get rid of my little corolla in the next few years before Amy and I have kids. Let me now if I can help you out these next few days. Talk to you soon.

TMCNo1
03-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Glad everyone appears to be OK, and everything worked as designed. Good you had a camera with you too!

trickskier
03-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Just GLAD to hear that everyone is OK!!!

PendO
03-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys, yeah, material stuff can be replaced, I'm just so thankfull my family is alright.

Jerseydave
03-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Glad to hear your family is okay, especially your pregnant wife!

Sometimes it's better to surround yourself with some extra metal, just in case of accidents like this. Thank goodness for seat belts and air bags.

PendO
03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
last good pic we were in the far left lane of the one way headed north at impact, but the crash put us in the middle lane of the one way headed north ... guy in the red car ran the light going east, guy in the durango was traveling parallel to us in the middle lane headed north ... still surprised his air bags did not deploy ... you can see the side curtain airbag if you look thru my open drivers door.

Maristar210
03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Casey,

Glad everyone is okay. Wheeeew!!!! scary....

PendO
03-18-2007, 08:54 PM
little red car .......................

Farmer Ted
03-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Casey,

Glad to hear everyone made it out safely.

Know a good lawyer?

har har har

Leroy
03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Glad everything is ok Casey. Must have been a lot of popping sounds with all of those airbags going off.

dapicatti
03-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Wow!
I am glad that everyone is OK. You are so right, things are replacable, people are not.

PendO
03-18-2007, 09:12 PM
So, is it easy for a body shop to tell/diagnose if the frame is bent, or can I expect the insurance adjuster to say one thing and the body shop to say another?

TX.X-30 fan
03-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Pendo, Looked like 1 hell of an impact glad to hear ya'll are ok.

erkoehler
03-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Pendo, glad to see you and your family are ok....that looks to have been one hell of a ride :(

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 09:37 PM
If I have learned one thing it is that I will go where I want and not let an adjuster tell me where that will be! Most crap work I have received has been at the referal of my adjuster/agency State Farm! My car my choice! The front end is twisted and appears to have some decent structural damage. Fixed right it will be fine but things like sheet metal lining up and orange peel appearing factory are two different things all together. Good luck Casey!

RobertT
03-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Man, so sorry that it happened. Scares me just to think about it, especially with so much zooming through your mind at that second with kids AND a pregnant wife.

Just be glad you were in the car you were in, it does make a difference. My wife has an 07 suburban, I feel better knowing you are on the MC website talking about an accident rather than the alternative.

Screw the material stuff, all that counts is OK.

Good luck man.

PendO
03-18-2007, 10:18 PM
If I have learned one thing it is that I will go where I want and not let an adjuster tell me where that will be! Most crap work I have received has been at the referal of my adjuster/agency State Farm! My car my choice! The front end is twisted and appears to have some decent structural damage. Fixed right it will be fine but things like sheet metal lining up and orange peel appearing factory are two different things all together. Good luck Casey!

yeah, we had it towed to a good friends body/repair shop, they have been around for a long time and do great work .... my insurance is Geico and they will send the local adjuster up tomorrow to start the process, I have heard there is some liability in repacking airbags, so I guess I need to do some research on that, we are all starting to feel a little sore ... the whole experience is kinda surreal. If it gets fixed it will just be so Heather can trade it in on something else, but once its repaired it will forever be damaged goods as this stuff should (I hope) stay with the vehicle history ... I'd like the adjuster to take it to auction, but I know that is probably unrealistic

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 10:22 PM
I thought the air bag was replaced as a unit? Not like a chute so to speak! Also the sending units get replaced as well. Much easier to test now a days. Peace of mind so trade but should come out as nice as the day you purchased. Sucks none the less though. Take a tip from me next time instead of finding a case chase the ambulance and leave the family at home! Nice one Casey!;)

mitch
03-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Casey, glad everyone is OK!!

RexDog1
03-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Wow :eek3:

Good to here all is ok
things happen fast in life, so give the kids a big hug :)

oh and the wife8p

bcampbe7
03-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Glad to hear everyone is OK Casey!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-18-2007, 10:46 PM
First off, I am sorry to hear you had an accident, but I am glad to hear your all OK and nobody is hurt. That twisted up peice of metal dont mean nuthin in the big picture. You and your family are SAFE and that is ALL that matters. That truck can be replaced any day. They make new ones all the time. But your family cant be replaced.

As far as the burb, I will be curious to know what the estimate comes out to be. I got a sneaking hunch its not going to be a total loss and the ins co will want to fix it. Depends on how much hidden damage there is under that sheet metal. Whether or not there is any frame damage, etc... I dont think it will be enough to total it out.

Sodar
03-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Glad to hear you and the Family are OK! Looks like the 'burb took it very well... you should be glad you own one of those gas guzzling beasts!!! Awesome looking car though... I hope everything works out with the insurance, even though it is pretty much a guaranteed pain!

sand2snow22
03-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Man, scary stuff. I'm glad you guys are OK, you should be real sore tomorrow and the day after!! What street is that on Pendo?

AirJunky
03-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Wow, Casey! Man, on one hand, you guys are having a helluva crappy week! But on the other, you have some good luck goin for ya.......one boat & one truck & still no one hurt.

PendO
03-19-2007, 02:16 AM
Man, scary stuff. I'm glad you guys are OK, you should be real sore tomorrow and the day after!! What street is that on Pendo?

We were headed north on Maple - red car was headed east on Boone

First off, I am sorry to hear you had an accident, but I am glad to hear your all OK and nobody is hurt. That twisted up peice of metal dont mean nuthin in the big picture. You and your family are SAFE and that is ALL that matters. That truck can be replaced any day. They make new ones all the time. But your family cant be replaced.

As far as the burb, I will be curious to know what the estimate comes out to be. I got a sneaking hunch its not going to be a total loss and the ins co will want to fix it. Depends on how much hidden damage there is under that sheet metal. Whether or not there is any frame damage, etc... I dont think it will be enough to total it out.

Yeah, I kinda doubt they will total it ... I'm just searching around the internet to educate myself ... crazy thing is I had been thinking about puttign a brush guard on my wife's suburban in case we hit a deer on the way to the water sometime, after the accident I got to thinking that if we had a brush guard on it probably would have messed up the airbag deployment by not "sensing" the impact at the sensors. So UMP, how does a car dealer look at a vehicle with air bag deployment in the vehicle history? Even if they can put the pieces back together, how much less (if any) is it worth?

I found an article online about how airbag deployemnt can cause hearing loss (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/02/airbags_hearing.html)if all your windows are closed ... I'm wondering if my rear hatch glass opened up so that the cabin was nor over-pressurized ... guess I will have more info tomorrow.

Wow, Casey! Man, on one hand, you guys are having a helluva crappy week! But on the other, you have some good luck goin for ya.......one boat & one truck & still no one hurt.

Hey Bill, yeah, here is the irony ... Ryan and Mark got stuck in Ryan's boat near some homes/cabins ... the next day there was a note on the boat from a local resident offering to help, Ryan called him up and we all met him (Eric) ... and he has been out helping Ryan get too and from the boat / keeping an eye on it / letting him store his trailer at his house ... anyway, I had never met Eric before going out to look at Ryan's boat, as it turns out, Eric is a firefighter and he was the first guy at our veheicle/intersection making sure my wife and kids were okay ... small world

jimmer2880
03-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Wow... Glad everyone is ok. Also glad you were in a nice big vehicle.

As far as a total loss - who knows. My ex-wife was in a similiar accident a few years back in a Cherokee. They were going to fix it, until they pulled up the carpet BEHIND the rear seat. Turns out, the floor was buckled between the rear seat & the rear bumper. Go figure. My point is - keep doing that homework & be prepared no matter which way they go.

Also, when she had that accident, I researched about the lower resale value of a "fixed" vechicle vs. one that was never in an accident. Got some real numbers (and - this was before CARFAX). Talked to the insurance company & even some attorneys. Bottom line is, it didn't matter. I would have had to sue the guy in civil court. But, since the guy didn't have much, it would have been like trying to get blood from a stone.

Strange how airbags in different vehicles behave differently. I once rear-ended someone in my F250. Totaled her car. Her rear window ended up in a million pieces in the BED of my truck. My bags never deployed.

michael freeman
03-19-2007, 06:59 AM
First, Glad to hear everyone is okay.

Second, since your SUV is so new it should be a little easier to get your full insurance adjustment. At least in Texas, the insurance company is responsible for repairing the vehicle AND paying for any depreciation of the vehicle from the damage suffered in the accident (i.e., reduced resale value). The depreciation is always a hard thing to collect on, and the insurance company will never offer it without a fight. Since you are going to sale, and it is such a new car, the depreciation from the accident may be easier to prove.

Of course you will probably have to eat the depreciation of driving it off the lot, but you should be able to look at 07 prices for un-crashed vehicles and get the difference in price added to your insurance claim if you are willing to fight for it.

Ric
03-19-2007, 09:00 AM
wow ya just never know when it's gonna happen to you!

GLad everone is ok though!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-19-2007, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=PendO
Yeah, I kinda doubt they will total it ... I'm just searching around the internet to educate myself ... crazy thing is I had been thinking about puttign a brush guard on my wife's suburban in case we hit a deer on the way to the water sometime, after the accident I got to thinking that if we had a brush guard on it probably would have messed up the airbag deployment by not "sensing" the impact at the sensors. So UMP, how does a car dealer look at a vehicle with air bag deployment in the vehicle history? Even if they can put the pieces back together, how much less (if any) is it worth?

I found an article online about how airbag deployemnt can cause hearing loss (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/02/airbags_hearing.html)if all your windows are closed ... I'm wondering if my rear hatch glass opened up so that the cabin was nor over-pressurized ... guess I will have more info tomorrow.
[/QUOTE]

Casey, here is waht I know about it. This is different in every state. In Michigan, unless a vehicle is considered a total loss by an insurance company, It wont alter the title. I do think it will show a "prior collision" in Carfax, but no details. Keep this in mind, a "prior collision" could be a small bumper scratch that was claimed on your insurance if someone lightly scratched you in the parking lot at work AND it could also mean a major collison within a few bucks of being a total loss. If it is a total loss, then the insurance company basically buys the vehicle from you, then they retitle it as "salvage", which is an orange title in michigan, indicating that the vehicle was damaged severly. If the vehicle is repaired properly, it can be inspected by the state police and if it passes be re titled as "Rebuilt vehicle". Either way, a "salvage" or "rebuilt" title certainly does affect the value of the vehicle. I have heard the rule of thumb is 25-30% reduction in value. THis is what my boss has been told by insurance companies. Just a side note: This varying of state laws has caused controversy. Every state has their own criteria for what they consider a "total loss". So some people buy these salvage vehicles in some states where the criteria are tighter, and they bring them to states where the criteria is not so strict. Then they rebuild them and get them titled in that state without a branded title. I remember hearing about this in the news a while back, and according to the news broadcast I saw, Michigan was one of the easiest states to do this. and, at this point, its legal. :rolleyes:

Thats what I know.

and yes, they do replace the airbag as an entire module, they dont repack them. to my knowledge anyway, I have never heard of that.

chudson
03-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Glad to hear you and your family are well!!!

sizzler
03-19-2007, 09:24 AM
casey.....glad you are all ok.......

JohnE
03-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Like everyone, I'm glad to hear everyon'e OK. Scary to think about how quickly everything in life can change.

Monte
03-19-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm glad everyone is OK. If you have any specific questions during your claim process PM me. The best advice I could offer is to read the policy thorughly. Which I'm sure you have done...

pilot02
03-19-2007, 01:39 PM
yeah, we had it towed to a good friends body/repair shop, they have been around for a long time and do great work .... my insurance is Geico and they will send the local adjuster up tomorrow to start the process, I have heard there is some liability in repacking airbags, so I guess I need to do some research on that, we are all starting to feel a little sore ... the whole experience is kinda surreal. If it gets fixed it will just be so Heather can trade it in on something else, but once its repaired it will forever be damaged goods as this stuff should (I hope) stay with the vehicle history ... I'd like the adjuster to take it to auction, but I know that is probably unrealistic

Airbags are not "repacked" they must be replaced once deployed. Salvage bags can be used and there is documentation to prove that they are safe but insurance company's typically opt for New OEM.

BrianM
03-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Wow! Glad that the family seems to have walked away with little to no injury. Also glad to see that the Burb protected you so well. Being the owner of an '07 Avalanche that is good to see.

djhuff
03-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Being that it was the other guy's fault, his insurance should cover. If you are in a no fault state, then read your policy. I know mine has a clause that if you total your car within the first year, they buy a NEW one the same as you had.

BearX1
03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Wow, am glad to hear you and the Fam' are OK . . . I did not know your wife was expecting, congratulations. I'm thrilled that you all are ok. It's pretty humbling to experience the force of impact, while inside a vehicle . . . Take care, my friend.

east tx skier
03-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Holy cow, Casey. Glad you all are okay!

PendO
03-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Being that it was the other guy's fault, his insurance should cover.

That is the plan, but since they took him away in an Ambulance I have none of his information ... I'm waiting for the completed police report, but it may take a few days or possibly two weeks ... I checked on renting a simmilar size SUV, and it is about 55-60 bucks a day ... the body shop cannot give me a hard estimate until they start taking stuff apart, (and the hood is too bent to lift up w/o some pounding) ... they are waiting for my adjuster (talked to her this morning) to go out to the shop and take pictures, etc (good news is that the adjuster is familiar with the shop so everyone should be on the same page)... the same body/repair shop just finished a new 07 chevy w/ 400 miles on it that had its frame bent 3 feet out of line (they put a new frame under it - and in the end it cost $19,000 in repairs)... I talked with the body shop guy this morning and he said it would likely take 6 WEEKS to repair/get parts for mine, and he thinks 18K+ is an approximation until they can really dig in and see what is or is not bent/broken ... I took a few more pictures so I will put them up tonight when I can use a card reader ...

djhuff
03-19-2007, 03:23 PM
^PendO, that is why I will never use a "discount" insurance company again. The good companies will do anything necessary to get the repair going, and you in a rental, and deal with the other party and their insurance to get reimbursed later.

Oh, and glad everybody is still OK, nothing came up after a night's sleep.

Ryan
03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
I hope the soreness doesn't last too long and am glad you're all healthy, particularly that your wife is fine.

Chalk one up for GM.

dmayer84
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
That is the plan, but since they took him away in an Ambulance I have none of his information ... I'm waiting for the completed police report, but it may take a few days or possibly two weeks ... I checked on renting a simmilar size SUV, and it is about 55-60 bucks a day ... the body shop cannot give me a hard estimate until they start taking stuff apart, (and the hood is too bent to lift up w/o some pounding) ... they are waiting for my adjuster (talked to her this morning) to go out to the shop and take pictures, etc (good news is that the adjuster is familiar with the shop so everyone should be on the same page)... the same body/repair shop just finished a new 07 chevy w/ 400 miles on it that had its frame bent 3 feet out of line (they put a new frame under it - and in the end it cost $19,000 in repairs)... I talked with the body shop guy this morning and he said it would likely take 6 WEEKS to repair/get parts for mine, and he thinks 18K+ is an approximation until they can really dig in and see what is or is not bent/broken ... I took a few more pictures so I will put them up tonight when I can use a card reader ...

When I got hit by someone else I put the claim right against their insurance, even though it isn't your fault, I have your rates go up for your own insurance company having to do all the leg work. When I made the claim against them, nothing on my rates went up. My mom that also got hit by someone else, and has the same insurace made the claim agaisnt our company, her rates went up.

Good thing that everyone is ok, makes me feel better about my Silverado.

Evan Jones
03-19-2007, 03:43 PM
It takes a lot to total a 50k truck. Body shops will make it work to their advantage most of the time. they want the business. They can talk insurance adjusters into paying $30k to fix the thing, then give them 10k more in extras after the fact that "they didn't catch" on the first estimate.

Kyle's_prostar205
03-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Glad to hear that everyone is ok! As a fire fighter here in Colorado I love it when I rool up to a car accident and see that the air bags have deployed. Even though there can be some side effects they do save lives! Good luck and keep us posted!

PendO
03-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Just talked with my adjuster ... she ok'd the repair shop to start taking it apart to come up with the repair estimate ... so, I'm pretty plesed with Geico, in less than 5 business hours I have a repair shop already working on making me whole ... I have been with them for about 5 years and have had good luck with claims on my previous Exploder ... for those who have offered the kind words, thank you - I sat awake last night with the various what if scenarios.

As those of us with young kids know they are alway trying to get out of their carseats, and usually the passenger is having to turn around and try and re-buckle them in ... this accident happened on a stretch of road that I would have previously though extrememly safe, and it happened in an instant, if either of our kids had not been buckled in we would have a different scenario today.

If the guy who caused the accident has insurance then my company will just go to them for re-imbursement (or else I have my underinsured/uninsured) ... either way it will involve some subrogation ... I had elected to save a few bucks and not carry rental coverage on my policy, so I understand my insurer is not part of that scenario (I will be adding that back in to my policy, but who the heck thinks they will be without a car for 6 weeks) ... when I finally do get ahold of the other guys info then I suppose they can rent me a vehicle on their dime, but at least this way things are moving forward - there are worse things than carpooling:)

JohnnyB
03-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Good to here your family is OK. It makes me feel good about my family riding in our Suburban. Good point on the brush guard....I've thought about one for the same reason.

Let us know how it all works out with insurance, etc.

phecksel
03-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Glad to hear everything is fine. I turned in my lease explorer and driving a focus for now. Actually scares me to not have all that metal to protect the family. After a year, my back still gets sore easy. I understand it can take a while to overcome, if ever.

Driver that hit me was not insured and I had to go to court several times to finally start collecting my deductible from her.

Jesus_Freak
03-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Wow....great to hear all are OK.

I drive an old nissan sentra. How do ya like that for protection? :o

Rapunzl
03-20-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm glad that you are all fine! Something like that definitely makes you stop and think about life! I had a really bad accident on the freeway about 2 years ago...it was raining and a Honda hydroplaned in front of the pickup that I was following. We were all spaced pretty far apart, but the rain has some pretty nasty "skid factor". The pickup lost control and...let's just say that I uttered some unmentionables as I slammed into the pickup. I was in my old, reliable, little green Geo Prizm and don't remember much else, other than the cop telling me to get out of the car and panicking because I had to get to work.

I was flat on my back for two weeks and still have a ripped ACL in my right knee. Those air bags are really nasty when they go off...my kids didn't recognize me for about a week! But without it..I wold have gone through the windshield.

I had a funeral for my old, reliable, little green Geo Prizm. Dang, I miss her!

PendO
03-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Well, the guy who ran the red light was in a rental car, but he has "State Farm" insurace ... they were not sure until today that he was covered, I took them a copy of the police report and they called me back early this morning to set up getting a rental car paid for by them, and the body shop has orderd the parts as of last night... we went to the rental car place and rented an 07 Suburban with 12K miles on it - I was really impressed that the State Farm guy had no issue with me renting a large SUV, as the body shop now thinks it will be 4 weeks until we get ours back, and the rental is $80 a day (ouch) ... the rental is the LT1, so it doesn't have the side airbags of ours, but I do feel relatively safe ...we are using the PIP coverage to gets the kids a checkup just to make sure they don't have any sore spots that they are not telling us about, and my wife will probably try and get in to see a doc that can test her hearing as she has experiences some "ringing" in her ear on the right side (maybe the pressure/noise of the side curtain airbag) ... sounds like the guy in the little car is doing okay, on some pain medicine ... thanks again for all the well wishes.

dapicatti
03-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Glad to hear this is working out well for you. I hope there are no lingering issues for your wife and kids.

PendO
03-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Glad to hear this is working out well for you. I hope there are no lingering issues for your wife and kids.

yeah, me too -

Leroy
03-21-2007, 10:54 PM
How fast were you going Casey? IF you can say!

PendO
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
How fast were you going Casey? IF you can say!

Leroy, probably around 30 ... I actually drive like a grandma most of the time, he was probably going 30 on a perpendicular vector ... the impact of his car knocked us over a lane to the east (we were traveling northbound), and knocked his over 2-3 lanes to the north (he was traveling eastbound) - I would think that my suburban has a computer/black box that reads out all sorts of information, it would be interesting to see the data ... I was wondering if GM tries to use this data (for engineering), or if every time my vehicle is serviced they can tell the vehicle history?

Leroy
03-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Makes sense, that is how grandmas live to be 100 right!

Sodar
03-21-2007, 11:18 PM
I am glad that the family is OK and the insurance is working out for you!

On a side note: I would still be soooo mad to see this happen to my new car... I got hit by a high speed pursuit, one week after my mom got her new Denali XL and the thing was never the same... none of the doors sealed correctly and they could never get the alignment right, it always pulled very strong to the left at speed. I guess, just make sure that the body shop is reputable and do not settle for anything less than perfect, which is unfortunately what we did...

dapicatti
03-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Makes sense, that is how grandmas live to be 100 right!
My grandma just passed away this year at 98. Drove like Pendo.

Leroy
03-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Sorry to hear that, but that is a full life and I can only wish for close to that!

You have coined the new saying, Driving Like Pendo!

My grandma just passed away this year at 98. Drove like Pendo.

Monte
03-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Glad to hear it is all working out for you Pendo...

dapicatti
03-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Sorry to hear that, but that is a full life and I can only wish for close to that!

You have coined the new saying, Driving Like Pendo!
No offense Pendo! I am sure you are a better driver than she was.

pram
03-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Casey, Sorry to hear that you got hit, BUT glad to hear that you and your family are doing ok for the most part.
Take care Paul

jimmer2880
03-22-2007, 05:48 AM
I'm glad the insurance co is getting you a 'burban. When my ex-wife wrecked (ended up being totaled) her 3 month old Cherokee (not her fault), the insurance stuck her in a Ford Escort. We fought & fought, but could not get upgraded.

BrianM
03-22-2007, 08:27 AM
On a side note: I would still be soooo mad to see this happen to my new car... I got hit by a high speed pursuit, one week after my mom got her new Denali XL and the thing was never the same... none of the doors sealed correctly and they could never get the alignment right, it always pulled very strong to the left at speed. I guess, just make sure that the body shop is reputable and do not settle for anything less than perfect, which is unfortunately what we did...
To add to this a bit. My wife was t-boned at about 35 mph and spun 180 degrees in our 6 month old Outback. Blew the side curtain airbags and caused just about 8k in damage to our nearly brand new car. Took them 7 weeks to fix it but it has now been 2 1/2 years and we have never had an issue with the car. Has run, driven, shut door, sealed etc perfectly. I am a big believer in making sure that you take it to the very best body shop. A good shop can truely work wonders.

tones03
03-22-2007, 08:47 AM
"I was wondering if GM tries to use this data (for engineering), or if every time my vehicle is serviced they can tell the vehicle history?"

Both, mostly engineering though, to make cars safe and see how drivers actually drive their vehicles. I have not heard of them using it to see if abuse was part of why a certain part broke or not, but I am sure it could be used that way.

PendO
03-24-2007, 01:44 AM
well, I did a little case law research ... and I was happy to find case law in my state dating back to 1919 that allows me to recover for the difference in market value before and after the accident - so I guess I'm covered there:)

PendO
04-05-2007, 09:25 PM
so, they are putting the car on the rack today and figure it should be done in 2 weeks with all the parts they need to put on ... here is the machine they use for straightening

http://www.car-o-liner.se/smartprods/smartprod.asp?Group=tblMeasuring&ProdId=135&Lang=044

supposedly they can take frame mesurements at multiple waypoints - they load the vehicle frame specs into the machine and are able to put the frame straight within 3 millimeters ... and can give me a before and after printout so I can see where it was off and how close they are able to get it to OEM ...

Monte
04-05-2007, 09:49 PM
well, I did a little case law research ... and I was happy to find case law in my state dating back to 1919 that allows me to recover for the difference in market value before and after the accident - so I guess I'm covered there:)

That's good news! NC does the same thing, but you have to ask for it. Glad to hear it's getting fixed.. The one thing I can't figure is the amount of time it is taking.. I know you don't want to have it slapped back together, but believe me. I know several excellent body shop owners and they can generally have you done in a week to a week and a half. Have learned over time with less reputable body shops (not bashing your's,) but the claim check will be made to you and them.. make sure you do a thorugh check before you sign it over.. You can always take it back if things left undone, but it is better to find those problems before you hand them a check... Don't wear a suit or be in a hurry when you go get it. That way you can take a look underneath, check under the hood, look for little plastic brackets that are cracked or stressed. Run the AC, all electronics for that matter.. Really, act like you are about to buy it. Ask the guy to let you drive it, if he needs to ride with you for that to happen, so be it. While cruising, let go of the steerng wheel to see if it pulls, turn off AC, radio, whatever and listen for noises..

Just giving my advice..

TMCNo1
04-05-2007, 10:54 PM
That's good news! NC does the same thing, but you have to ask for it. Glad to hear it's getting fixed.. The one thing I can't figure is the amount of time it is taking.. I know you don't want to have it slapped back together, but believe me. I know several excellent body shop owners and they can generally have you done in a week to a week and a half. Have learned over time with less reputable body shops (not bashing your's,) but the claim check will be made to you and them.. make sure you do a thorugh check before you sign it over.. You can always take it back if things left undone, but it is better to find those problems before you hand them a check... Don't wear a suit or be in a hurry when you go get it. That way you can take a look underneath, check under the hood, look for little plastic brackets that are cracked or stressed. Run the AC, all electronics for that matter.. Really, act like you are about to buy it. Ask the guy to let you drive it, if he needs to ride with you for that to happen, so be it. While cruising, let go of the steerng wheel to see if it pulls, turn off AC, radio, whatever and listen for noises..

Just giving my advice..

One more bit of advise, don't pick the vehicle up near closing time and or after the technicians have gone home. Always attempt to pick it up in the morning or in the middle of the day. Those possible little things you may find can't be fixed after the technicians have left so you have to leave the vehicle for another day or they will want you to bring it back for the corrections, that may then, never get done because you then can never find the time or you keep forgetting about it. Don't give up the rental car until after you have signed off on the work and not before, BTDT.

PendO
04-06-2007, 12:14 AM

PendO
05-03-2007, 04:07 PM
.................................................. .....

dapicatti
05-03-2007, 07:30 PM
OK- what's the story now. You bumped it, spill it.

Ryan27r
05-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Anything new?