PDA

View Full Version : 351 Edelbrock Performer Swap

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Well I am bored so today I ordered up some parts and tore down the old MC. 30 minutes to destroy and hopefully I can spend this week cleaning, polishing and painting. The reinstall will be entirely of clean rebuilt, new and polished parts! New Distributor, Manifold, gaskets and fuel lines with gauge on the way. This is the beginning I will update when I get around to it!;)

Miller Time!

HB

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Next step, getting rid of the crap!:o

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 04:26 PM
More crap to remove!:D

Clean synthetic throughout! Yeah baby!

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Gaskets remove nicely! Now for some good old alcohol cleansing (something I know well) and sit back and wait for Christmas!;)

I feel naked!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Your engine looks nice and clean inside.

Glad to see the pix. I've got a performer manifold that will be going on shortly as well. While I'm changing out parts, I'll replace the heads with some Gt40-p's. Are you planning on making any changes in carb jetting? I'm trying to get a handle on what I am going to need to do in that department.

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 05:57 PM
My guess is no jetting will be required. I already have the GT40's. Tuning yes but no jetting. I am keeping the infamous 4010. I love the carb but it is tempermental. The Performer for this application really adds torque throughout but not as much HP. You may realize 10-15 Horsepower but Torque gains can be as high as 50 lbs in the higher rpm ranges (3000-4500). 200 rpm increase is also "advertised." I would think the 600/650 would be jetted fine for this application. Most of the fabrication will be lining up the cable height and the fuel lines will have to be flexed using a 3/8 fuel/brake line tool. My new distributor is nice billet but as always will have to be set in place and timed to be sure. Regardless of performance it will be lighter and look very nice! Sure it better run as well! All parts are Holley Fuel Line, Holley Liquid Filled Fuel Gauge, Gaskets, 2181 Edelbrock Performer manifold and a Mallory Distributor YLM554CV.;)

I am having fun anyway!

André
03-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Clean looking engine HB!
Good work.Why not swap the carb as you're at it?
Any problems starting after 20 minutes turn off?

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Never had one problem with the 4010. I do need to play with it on occasion. It just looks too nice to switch! I may buy another for the heck of it but it will be a 4010 as well. No hitches here but it does like to be pampered and clean! How goes it up there Andre? I hope all is well and I can still live the dream of being single through you my brother!;)

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 07:09 PM
The manifold!

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 07:11 PM
The line mounted fuel gauge.:D

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 07:12 PM
The distributer!;)

Maristar210
03-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Looks good. Also looks like a 30 pack of beer job:D

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 07:24 PM
The tear down took maybe 30 minutes! I spilled one and drank two more! The assembly will be short order as well. I am taking my distributer to SSR (Steve Schmidt Racing) and he will hopefully check out and hook me up with some Crane full roller rockers! At that point I can mess with the bikes again. Supercharging the Valkyrie is still an idea. Man I would love to run 10-11 on a 700 lbs bike! Like I always say if you cannot handle drugs you better find some HORSEPOWER!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-18-2007, 07:44 PM
My guess is no jetting will be required. I already have the GT40's. Tuning yes but no jetting. I am keeping the infamous 4010. I love the carb but it is tempermental. The Performer for this application really adds torque throughout but not as much HP. You may realize 10-15 Horsepower but Torque gains can be as high as 50 lbs in the higher rpm ranges (3000-4500). 200 rpm increase is also "advertised." I would think the 600/650 would be jetted fine for this application. Most of the fabrication will be lining up the cable height and the fuel lines will have to be flexed using a 3/8 fuel/brake line tool. My new distributor is nice billet but as always will have to be set in place and timed to be sure. Regardless of performance it will be lighter and look very nice! Sure it better run as well! All parts are Holley Fuel Line, Holley Liquid Filled Fuel Gauge, Gaskets, 2181 Edelbrock Performer manifold and a Mallory Distributor YLM554CV.;)

I am having fun anyway!

I've got the 4160 carb. Its set up on the stock 240/250 Hp engine. I've been told I'll want to move the power valve up to a 6.5 or so. Any other ideas on what the carb will need when I switch to the new manifold and "P" heads?

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 08:03 PM
No but those on here will. I have some local input and will inquire. You are making some changes that your carb may not have been set up for. A nice point of reference would be to see what the 4160 jets/springs/pv was set up as stock for a 285 hp Ford. Easty may have the info as I believe he switched to a 4160. I do not know that the info for my 4010 would be the same. I still believe you will be close with your current setup. That being said I will inquire when I get the chance.

Take care!

BriEOD
03-18-2007, 10:15 PM
The manifold!
Installed the same intake in mine.

Hoosier Bob
03-18-2007, 10:18 PM
How was the throttle cable hookup? Did you keep the PCV plate under the carb? I know I can lose it but make for a dirtier engine compartment. What gives Brian, help a brother out! I woke up with a hair in my arse and the next thing I know I am out of beer and my boat is ripped apart!

Leroy
03-18-2007, 11:40 PM
WOW, looks nice Bob! I don't have the courage to go tearing into mine like that, but sure it will turn out nice for you!

TRBenj
03-19-2007, 08:23 AM
I've got the 4160 carb. Its set up on the stock 240/250 Hp engine. I've been told I'll want to move the power valve up to a 6.5 or so. Any other ideas on what the carb will need when I switch to the new manifold and "P" heads?

Any mods that increase engine breathing (intake, cam, heads, exhaust, etc) may require more fuel flow. This would require larger jets. Too many variables to give you a good recommendation on which jets would work best. You should do some plug checks to see exactly where you are. Dial in the primaries first, then the secondaries. If anyone is interested in a great tutorial on how to plug check and dial in the jets, send me a PM.

I know the 4160 has a metering plate in the rear, so you cant alter the flow- not sure about the 4010. For the 4160, you can buy a metering block conversion kit ($45) that allows you to use jets in the rear- its great for tuning.

The size of the power valve doesnt really affect overall flow- but the size you have determines when it will activate. The 2.5 power valve will open much later than a 6.5. With a higher flowing intake manifold, there will be less of a pressure drop and I would recommend a larger power valve than stock. With my Weiand Stealth, Im running a 7.5 PV and the transition is seemless.

When installing a taller manifold, you may want to consider raising the throttle cable bracket. You want to make the throw as horizontal (parallel to the motor) as possible. The Performer is ~1.5" taller than stock.

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Any ideas on where I can find a new throttle mount or should I fabricate? Obviously this is a somewhat common happening so there should be adapters or replacement throttle mounts available? Also I have always used silicone to seal the front and rear of the manifold. I removed two very nice rubber gaskets that are in perfect shape. Not intending to re-use but where would I find these? I had not seen these before.

Thanks for your response as this has been an impulse project!

Maristar210
03-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Bob

I can fabricate a new bracket for you if you need one made just holler

TRBenj
03-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Any ideas on where I can find a new throttle mount or should I fabricate? Obviously this is a somewhat common happening so there should be adapters or replacement throttle mounts available? Also I have always used silicone to seal the front and rear of the manifold. I removed two very nice rubber gaskets that are in perfect shape. Not intending to re-use but where would I find these? I had not seen these before.

Thanks for your response as this has been an impulse project!

SkiDIM sells the entire intake gasket set (http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0186) that includes all the pieces. If the end pieces are still in good shape, I say reuse them.

I had zero luck finding a throttle bracket, so I made my own. I think I cut up some sort of bracket from Home Depot. Its not the prettiest, but it does the job.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/7-31006_small.jpg

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks Steve!:D Bob

I can fabricate a new bracket for you if you need one made just holler

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2007, 11:43 AM
how do you get that under your hatch? I see you kept the PCV plate. I am doing the same but would rather mount the carb direct and find another alternative for the line. Not that I know one at this time. My guess is I will fabricate an extension plate out of aluminum for the throttle mount. Some nice billet would be cool!:D SkiDIM sells the entire intake gasket set (http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0186) that includes all the pieces. If the end pieces are still in good shape, I say reuse them.

I had zero luck finding a throttle bracket, so I made my own. I think I cut up some sort of bracket from Home Depot. Its not the prettiest, but it does the job.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/7-31006_small.jpg

mrcrowson
03-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Nice Job HB Give Leroy and me a ring if you need us to hold some beers while you finish that up. :D Then we will take it for a run.:steering:

http://nutrition.tufts.edu/img/consumer/balance/2004-03/beer.jpg

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2007, 12:44 PM
I still have Prambold's Gibson's 12 year old Whiskey to partake in! I promised him some pics of us doing shots! Paul is eager to see how we like the Whiskey. The bottle is nice and looking at it does make me thirsty!:D

TRBenj
03-19-2007, 01:08 PM
how do you get that under your hatch? I see you kept the PCV plate. I am doing the same but would rather mount the carb direct and find another alternative for the line. Not that I know one at this time. My guess is I will fabricate an extension plate out of aluminum for the throttle mount. Some nice billet would be cool!:D

As it was in that last picture, I couldnt shut the motorbox. Ive since added a low profile flame arrestor (2"), which you can see in my signature pic.

It looks like your arrestor is already pretty thin, so you basically have 2 remaining options to gain some clearance: 1) raise your motorbox, or 2) get rid of your PCV spacer.

Getting rid of the PCV spacer is the cleanest looking solution, but Ive seen some raised motorbox bases (both fiberglass and carpeted) that look pretty decent. If you decide to eliminate the spacer, be aware that it probably helps make a little power (besides giving a good vacuum source for your PCV valve). Ive been told newer 4160 carbs have a 3/8" vacuum port that you can run the PCV to, but I havent seen one myself. You can also plumb the PCV into a runner on the intake manifold. Some people claim theres no problem in doing this, but some are skeptical and say that cylinder will run lean as a result. If you go that route, I would do a plug check to be safe.

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2007, 04:34 PM
I just got off the phone with "Gator Performance" and they recommended the runner idea. Lean would make sense and I do check the plugs quite often. This would suck if it created a lean situation as eliminating the spacer would eliminate most of the issues with the swap! I would only increase the height by 1/2". Not enough to worry about!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-19-2007, 04:50 PM
You might not have to worry about the clearance. I checked my 91 by putting a chunk of clay on top of the flame arrestor hold-down and then shut the lid. Measuring the smashed clay, I had 2 5/8" to spare from the stock set-up to the motor box. The performer is only an inch an a half taller so I'm thinking (hoping) there should be plenty of room.

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2007, 04:56 PM
But I would not have to mess with the linkage or anything else if I can get rid of that block of crap! I agree though and will most likely find an alloy aftermarket spacer w/pcv.

alp
03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Hoosier Bob,
Wow, nice looking engine. Any recommendations regarding a rebuild for the 4010? Our runs perfect during our 2 hour morning slamon sessions. We ski 5 - 6 sets and idle between skiers. Only issue that comes up is when we shut it off and restart, the idle will drop to low, sometimes will stall. So we just keep it running and it's fine. Appreciate your thoughts.

east tx skier
03-20-2007, 02:30 PM
My guess is I will fabricate an extension plate out of aluminum for the throttle mount. Some nice billet would be cool!:D

My local dealer was able to order the throttle mount plate for me. If you want their number, shoot me a PM.

Hoosier Bob
03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
I have never had an issue like yours. Once your idle drops are you resetting the idle screw to keep running? If so you may have a choke that is not set correctly. I just purchased a 4010 specific manual so once I receive I will review. Obviously once warmed up to op temp you may check to see that the mixture screws are set correctly and that the carb idle holds warm. Choke may be set too high and to compensate someone has dropped the idle. Great until the choke drops then no idle. I could be wrong and there are thos on here that will know much more. I have been lucky with mine as I tinker often. If you need settings I have them. PM if needed.

HB

Oh yeah, she is ready, cleaned and polished!:D Hoosier Bob,
Wow, nice looking engine. Any recommendations regarding a rebuild for the 4010? Our runs perfect during our 2 hour morning slamon sessions. We ski 5 - 6 sets and idle between skiers. Only issue that comes up is when we shut it off and restart, the idle will drop to low, sometimes will stall. So we just keep it running and it's fine. Appreciate your thoughts.

Hoosier Bob
03-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks Doug! I will most likely do that. So far this has been a nice TMC effort! Don't do anything with out TMC/TEAMTALK!:D

PS The lovely Lisa just got home with my beer! The upstairs smells funny? I know nothing! My local dealer was able to order the throttle mount plate for me. If you want their number, shoot me a PM.

TMCNo1
03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Looking good there Bob! Go Bob! Zoom, zoom!

Hoosier Bob
03-20-2007, 08:02 PM
I am not OCD Harold so do not feel threatened in the least! Go polish your boat! Thanks! From you that means something Mr. Clean!:D

Slinkyredfoot
03-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Well I am bored so today I ordered up some parts and tore down the old MC. 30 minutes to destroy and hopefully I can spend this week cleaning, polishing and painting. The reinstall will be entirely of clean rebuilt, new and polished parts! New Distributor, Manifold, gaskets and fuel lines with gauge on the way. This is the beginning I will update when I get around to it!;)

Miller Time!

HB

Hey HB, nice motor, oh yea and Miller Time? Do you really need an excuse??? If you are really bored I will offer you a real job at the store...On your lunch hour you can go to my house and make my engine look that good and I will pay ya....:cool:

Hoosier Bob
03-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Done!:D Should be fun! Better wait and make sure mine runs after the "upgrade!" I can tear down and polish with the best! Still working on the putting back together!:o Hey HB, nice motor, oh yea and Miller Time? Do you really need an excuse??? If you are really bored I will offer you a real job at the store...On your lunch hour you can go to my house and make my engine look that good and I will pay ya....:cool:

Slinkyredfoot
03-20-2007, 08:18 PM
We all learn by experience HB, keep drinking Miller and you will gain the knowledge. If you are like me, you will tear down once and put back together 4 times, and maybe on the 5th it will be just perfect......

Hoosier Bob
03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
She will be right once over! The distributer wire has me somewhat concerned. I am looking for a "Ford" blue coil. As of now it better look and run very well. Just got my new Snap on Electronic torque wrence in as well!

Slinkyredfoot
03-20-2007, 08:32 PM
She will be right once over! The distributer wire has me somewhat concerned. I am looking for a "Ford" blue coil. As of now it better look and run very well. Just got my new Snap on Electronic torque wrence in as well!

How much ya pay for the torque wrench? Could have comped a nice Wright for you N/C and we both could have benefited...what is up with you anyway?

Hoosier Bob
03-20-2007, 08:32 PM
This is the spacer I went with!:o

Hoosier Bob
03-20-2007, 08:35 PM
From now on all tool purchases will be with your input! I still have an s-load of tools and can use more!;) PS $215 plus shipping of $10. Sometimes I just buy crap because it is Snap-On. Never let me down and I LIKEY!How much ya pay for the torque wrench? Could have comped a nice Wright for you N/C and we both could have benefited...what is up with you anyway?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-20-2007, 08:57 PM
That looks better than the piece that's on mine now....looks to be set up to connect PCV. Where did you get it.....what was the cost?

Monte
03-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Dang HB looks good!! Nice project!! I want to hear it run!! So.... make a video when you fire her up!!;)

Slinkyredfoot
03-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Dang HB looks good!! Nice project!! I want to hear it run!! So.... make a video when you fire her up!!;)

I wanna sure be here when this happens:D

Hoosier Bob
03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Trans Dapt Torque Swirl! Jegs, Summit or any speed shop can get. You will need gaskets and PCV connection. I think I paid $33 and some change the entire order was $10.00 to ship. They say it make huge torque and some extra HP. Don't they all? Looks cool anyway!:D That looks better than the piece that's on mine now....looks to be set up to connect PCV. Where did you get it.....what was the cost?

TMCNo1
03-22-2007, 08:49 PM

I thought it was a restrictor plate off a NASCAR SuperSpeedway engine.

Hoosier Bob
03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Now that you mention it that is exactly what it is!:mad:

I would have to have something to restrict and 600 CFM don't qualify!;)

mitch
03-22-2007, 09:54 PM

Miller Time!

HB

That's an agressive project, you lost me at tore down:)

mitch
03-22-2007, 09:54 PM

Miller Time!

HB

That's an agressive project, you lost me at tore down:)

Hoosier Bob
03-22-2007, 09:58 PM
I am still waiting on parts! I have received a bunch but no Manifold, gaskets or air cleaner as of yet! Went with a K&N low pro Coast Guard approved. Fun so far but I wish I had my parts!

Slinkyredfoot
03-22-2007, 10:00 PM
I am still waiting on parts! I have received a bunch but no Manifold, gaskets or air cleaner as of yet! Went with a K&N low pro Coast Guard approved. Fun so far but I wish I had my parts!

So, you haven't had a chance to use that ov3rpriced torque wrench you bought huh????

Hoosier Bob
03-22-2007, 10:05 PM
What ever! I did not pay too much! Where are my tools? Got my SnapOn dial gauge in today! Might not use it but it is cool! I may use the OVERPRICED WRENCH ON YOUR HEAD!8p

Slinkyredfoot
03-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Bring it oun dude.....

Hoosier Bob
03-22-2007, 10:11 PM
OUN? When are we destroying your ride?;) Bring it oun dude.....

Slinkyredfoot
03-22-2007, 10:17 PM
OUN? When are we destroying your ride?;)

Probably never, If we do I will just rebuild it, and since when are you my "Spell Check":D

Hoosier Bob
03-22-2007, 10:20 PM
If this project is accomplished reasonably cheap (Too late) it will be a nice upgrade. Should make some serious torque and I LOVE TORQUE!8p Probably never, If we do I will just rebuild it, and since when are you my "Spell Check":D

Hoosier Bob
03-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Harley gets six speeds and 96 inches! 65 Horsepower is not too scary as my 1998 is still over 100 HP and 100 TQ. Still very nice to see!:o

Slinkyredfoot
03-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Yea I bet you are "Torqued"
There is really nothing finer than to constantly screw around with your boat to try to make it look better, run faster, and give one an excuse to go to the garage for several hours.
To bad many of us men do not put as much effort into our relations with our better halves....do they really understand???

Hoosier Bob
03-22-2007, 11:15 PM
No? Reminds me of another question. Who cares! Obviously I do!

TRBenj
03-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I Went with a K&N low pro Coast Guard approved.

Which K&N arrestor did you go with? The shortest one Ive found is listed at 2", but that is the element height. Overall height from the carb base is about 3.75".

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2007, 09:58 AM
I went in mind! I was going to order last night then measured the old Flame arrestor. 2.25"! I was going to order the 2.75 K & N I am now going to wait until all is assembled. I can use what I have until I know for sure. Still no manifold!:o Which K&N arrestor did you go with? The shortest one Ive found is listed at 2", but that is the element height. Overall height from the carb base is about 3.75".

Workin' 4 Toys
03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
The manifold!
When does it go to the polisher?

JimN
03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Hoosier- any chance of setting up a cold air intake system for it? If it was a closed bow, you could put an Air Grabber scoop on it, or something equally cool from a '60s car.

mayo93prostar
03-23-2007, 11:54 AM
HB, what did you use to polish it or did you send it out to polish it? It sure looks good and I would like to clean my carb up too.

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Blue magic metal polish, diaper, Q-tips and rub! 4010 is an all alloy polished carb to begin with but it had some rough areas. It came out better than the pics. WFT I thought of going polished on the manifold but extra dough was not worth it. The finish can be sanded and polished on the base 2181 but I like the contrast. I am still ordering crap. Duplicate in some instances. I want it to look and function correctly. Anything I do not need will hit Ebay.:D

Take care!

HB
HB, what did you use to polish it or did you send it out to polish it? It sure looks good and I would like to clean my carb up too.

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2007, 09:57 PM
My manifold did not come in! Called today and has been delayed! I then cancelled the order, called Summit and it will be here by Wednesday! Woo hoo! This thing is beginning to stress me out! I still need to order the bracket from Doug's reference and plumb all!:o
I will have part numbers and final cost for you guys though. If it runs it will be a bonus!:(

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2007, 02:20 PM
My manifold did not come in! Called today and has been delayed! I then cancelled the order, called Summit and it will be here by Wednesday! Woo hoo! This thing is beginning to stress me out! I still need to order the bracket from Doug's reference and plumb all!:o
I will have part numbers and final cost for you guys though. If it runs it will be a bonus!:(
Summit has polished intakes too, don't they.....8p

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Why would I pay $160 more when I can buy you a case of beer and throw you a rag?:D Summit has polished intakes too, don't they.....8p

Hoosier Bob
03-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Still no parts but I did find my new flame arrestor!:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aluminum-flame-arrestor-for-a-four-barrel-carburator_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQitemZ2 00093618001QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Hope, hope!8p

Workin' 4 Toys
03-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Why would I pay $160 more when I can buy you a case of beer and throw you a rag?:D
Is that an invitation for beer, or .......?:D

BriEOD
03-26-2007, 09:11 PM
He's gonna give you PBR and save the Coors Lt for himself.

Hoosier Bob
03-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Yes and PBR is still beer, correct? Come on down polish boy!:D

No he is not WFTSKI! Sure he ski's and likes to ski but he is not a ..... He ain't from Poland I believe although there are a ton of Polish people in and around Chicago. Lisa is polish!He's gonna give you PBR and save the Coors Lt for himself.

BriEOD
03-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Only one person on this earth can call me "boy" and you aren't her. Nor, are you a Southerner where is is somehwhat of an acceptable term, White Trash Robert.

Where is your step-son UMP?

Hoosier Bob
03-26-2007, 09:17 PM
WFT would be the "Boy" and I would be the WTNORTHERNER! BOY!:D Only one person on this earth can call me "boy" and you aren't her. Nor, are you a Southerner where is is somehwhat of an acceptable term, White Trash Robert.

Where is your step-son UMP?

BriEOD
03-26-2007, 09:20 PM
I'll let Mr. WFT stick up for himself. But, you better watch yourself buddy. I might have to do some records checks on you tomorrow and send a car by your residence. ;)

Hoosier Bob
03-26-2007, 09:22 PM
I wasn't crying! They had to use tear gas! Yeah it was the tear gas! Now you better back the @#!$^ out of my face!8p

BriEOD
03-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Tear gas isn't so bad. You should try the OC Spray. That stuff burns something fierce.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-26-2007, 10:50 PM
I'll let Mr. WFT stick up for himself. But, you better watch yourself buddy. I might have to do some records checks on you tomorrow and send a car by your residence. ;)
I'll send you the pictures when I am done with him. And I don't need any stinkin' records. He gonna look funny walkin' around with a polish'd intake up his ... ;)

BriEOD
03-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Just post the pics right here brother.

Hoosier Bob
03-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Would that be a shiney intake or an imported intake?:o I'll send you the pictures when I am done with him. And I don't need any stinkin' records. He gonna look funny walkin' around with a polish'd intake up his ... ;)

BriEOD
03-28-2007, 09:38 PM
You've got some issues Bob.

Hoosier Bob
03-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Yes sir, yes I do! You are an officer are you not? I would hate to endure that lecture again! You know the one about how you earn a living! Blah blah blah! Sure I was scared s-less and would again be if I had to!:o

BriEOD
03-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Yes, yes I am. So, from here on out you need to put a "sir" behind your correspondence with me. Got it. ;)

JimN
03-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Well, as long as you don't tell people to use 'Sir' ahead of your name, we'll still think your success hasn't gone to your head.

TMCNo1
03-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Yes, yes I am. So, from here on out you need to put a "sir" behind your correspondence with me. Got it. ;)

HB, it might be best, you just go ahead and ask for your lawyer to be present during questioning.

BriEOD
03-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Well, as long as you don't tell people to use 'Sir' ahead of your name, we'll still think your success hasn't gone to your head.
Nah, most people would infer that I had been knighted.

Generally, I just stick with Brian.

Maristar210
03-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Nah, most people would infer that I had been knighted.

Generally, I just stick with Brian.

I've got a name I'm thinking of:D

BriEOD
03-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, bet you do.

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Sir **** Sir?:o

BriEOD
03-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Easy Bobby.

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2007, 09:29 PM
I know one too many sirs and one big ****!:D

BriEOD
03-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Well keep it to yourself Bobby.

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Mag told me and I ain't so good at keeping secrets! What is my nickname again? WTB?

BriEOD
03-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Well if Mag said it, it must be true. I thought it was WTR?

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Robert does sound better! Thanks Brian! You can church up anything!

Maristar210
03-29-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm feeling like big brother is standing over my shoulder around here the last few days.

Between the mods posting dribble and BrEOD scrutinizing every post I think my time here might be limited.

A year ago you could post pictures from other sites and swimsuit pictures as well. Now we have 5 or six mods watching our every move like they were on sentry.

It aint sittin well with me. In case anyone actually gave a sheet

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I have not had that feeling yet but I tend to drink alot. This makes you feel like you are in a stainless steel cocoon! Invincible so to speak! Hey wait a minute, is this PAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRNO Steve?
Oh yeah we have all been talking about YOU!8p I'm feeling like big brother is standing over my shoulder around here the last few days.

Between the mods posting dribble and BrEOD scrutinizing every post I think my time here might be limited.

A year ago you could post pictures from other sites and swimsuit pictures as well. Now we have 5 or six mods watching our every move like they were on sentry.

BriEOD
03-29-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm feeling like big brother is standing over my shoulder around here the last few days.

Gimme a break Steve. Just trying to keep it clean. They increased the amount of moderators to spread the work out a bit. Our two former moderators were a tad overworked. So now I believe we have 6 mods. The only two I know of are Leroy and myself. The other 4 chose to be anonymous.

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2007, 09:59 PM
To the Hoosier thread! I will not be a thorn in your side Brian! I have Leroy so that will offset you. Are you saying I need to find dirty pics of three more mods? This may take some time!:D

Respect my autoritay!

BriEOD
03-29-2007, 10:01 PM
You guys are fine.

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2007, 10:07 PM
I will respect thy authoritay! Thanks for all you do and will do! To the Green Egg Grill!

WTR!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Would that be a shiney intake or an imported intake?:o
Whichever is cheaper apparently....8p

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Really.....:confused: I thought there were two and they had multiple personalities...:confused: Oh well, I just hope they never lock down HB's W T F , Ban rod now, or the swimsuit threads... :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Since we got off subject here. How's the swap going HB?

Hoosier Bob
03-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Mock setup complete. The Accuski throttle mount will only need a plate to raise and can be easily made. So far so good. Still looking for the 4010 Marine fuel line that will accept the fuel gauge. I am also still working on thr arrestor setup. So far that should come out nice and "appear" stock as well. I have changed my mind 10 or so times. I will have some extra parts!

This weekend it will all come together!

HB

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Mock setup complete. The Accuski throttle mount will only need a plate to raise and can be easily made. So far so good. Still looking for the 4010 Marine fuel line that will accept the fuel gauge. I am also still working on thr arrestor setup. So far that should come out nice and "appear" stock as well. I have changed my mind 10 or so times. I will have some extra parts!

This weekend it will all come together!

HB
Let's see your "extra" parts when its done while posting pics of your completed project (Less polished intake of course8p )...Not that I am so much interested in the parts you have, still waiting to see if Sodar's boat gets to be in my "$ range:eek:"....Then I won't need your stinkin' carb'd parts...:rolleyes:

Maristar210
03-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Gimme a break Steve. Just trying to keep it clean. They increased the amount of moderators to spread the work out a bit. Our two former moderators were a tad overworked. So now I believe we have 6 mods. The only two I know of are Leroy and myself. The other 4 chose to be anonymous.

Okay BriEOD whatever you say.

east tx skier
03-30-2007, 10:30 AM
HB, did you ever get in touch with my source for the throttle cable plate?

BriEOD
03-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Okay BriEOD whatever you say.
Dude are you getting sensitive?

Hoosier Bob
03-30-2007, 07:58 PM
I pulled everything apart and my Accuski mount should be easy enough to lift with only a small piece of aluminum. A 4 x 4 alloy plate is all I need. I would go with the entire mount but I would still have to modify for the Accuski plate. I will try this first and show you pics. So far fuel lines for the 4010 have been the difficult item. I am ordering another on Monday from Summit. They will be getting one back as well. 4010 marine is an easy find but not that accepts the Fuel Guage. Thanks for the help Doug but so far it appears to be an easy fix. Tonight I worked a bit on the flame arrestor setup. Somewhat stock but different. I hope you guys will like it! I flexed the fuel lines
(3/8 brake line/fuel line bender) and they appear to function as they should while looking factory. Clearence is close! I should have 1-2 mm to spare!:o All should go back together tomorrow.HB, did you ever get in touch with my source for the throttle cable plate?

Hoosier Bob
03-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Wow, everyone check this out! Brian is concerned about someone else's feelings!8p You did not ask how I was feeling today Brian! I am sensitive too you know!:o Dude are you getting sensitive?

Maristar210
03-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Dude are you getting sensitive?

You know me better than that. You are smart enough to know when someone is messing with you. Joking Joking Joking

Your good:D

BriEOD
03-31-2007, 10:17 PM
You had me worried. Thought I had offended you. :cool:

Maristar210
03-31-2007, 10:30 PM
You had me worried. Thought I had offended you. :cool:

No way dude.

Now quit looking over my shoulder8p ;) :D

LOL

BriEOD
03-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Well if that locker is in your garage...I'm going to be looking. :D

Maristar210
03-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Well if that locker is in your garage...I'm going to be looking. :D

Ha LOL

Just watch out for the IED's

TMCNo1
03-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Ha LOL

Just watch out for the IED's

Is an IED what HB's engine will be after the intake swap, or will he remember?:rolleyes: 8p :D

Maristar210
03-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Is an IED what HB's engine will be after the intake swap, or will he remember?:rolleyes: 8p :D

I think BriEOD might be familiar with the term:D

bigmac
03-31-2007, 11:32 PM
This thread is a whole new side to Hoosier Bob that I've never seen before. I feel just a little...unsettled...

Hoosier Bob
04-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Life pretty much sucks right now! manifold install went great and life was great. Popped the distributer and did not fill with paper towel. I vacumed the entire area and noticed a small nut that was stuck to the water pump and had been painted over at the factory. No problem I will just vacume it up. It was on good! So I pushed the wand closer an away it went. Skipped up in the air and down the distributer hole! So much for a perfecly running machine. This will cost me! Dropped the pan, no nut! Pulled the entire front of the engine off, no nut. Going to my buddies speed shop tomorrow to pull the entire engine out! Needless to say I will not be around for awhile! This sucks and it sucks bad! The nut had been there since 93 and I F'd with it! had I left it I would most likely be boating now. No boat and after this I may just go back to bikes! I am absloutley demoralized right now! 1993 MC for sale!:o

Maristar210
04-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Life pretty much sucks right now! manifold install went great and life was great. Popped the distributer and did not fill with paper towel. I vacumed the entire area and noticed a small nut that was stuck to the water pump and had been painted over at the factory. No problem I will just vacume it up. It was on good! So I pushed the wand closer an away it went. Skipped up in the air and down the distributer hole! So much for a perfecly running machine. This will cost me! Dropped the pan, no nut! Pulled the entire front of the engine off, no nut. Going to my buddies speed shop tomorrow to pull the entire engine out! Needless to say I will not be around for awhile! This sucks and it sucks bad! The nut had been there since 93 and I F'd with it! had I left it I would most likely be boating now. No boat and after this I may just go back to bikes! I am absloutley demoralized right now! 1993 MC for sale!:o

Oh man I am sorry Bob:(

BriEOD
04-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Wow! Dude that sucks. Where do we send donations for the Bob Beer Fund?

Hoosier Bob
04-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the thought Brian but it is Crack for me now on!:o

BriEOD
04-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Well, if their was ever anything you wanted to do to that motor, now is the time. At least it isn't June 1st.

Sorry Bob. I sort of know how you feel. Had to replace the long block in mine about 4 years ago. That sucked!

Hoosier Bob
04-01-2007, 08:27 PM
I agree now is the time. The problem is it really wasn't the time. Never had an issue. Had I left that freakin nut alone none of this would be needed. I will frame that nut when I finally find it!:o
Right now I am thinking my summer is over! We will see and I am sure money will cure all. I am on vacation so I have the time. I do not have the desire. I am beat.
Well, if their was ever anything you wanted to do to that motor, now is the time. At least it isn't June 1st.

Sorry Bob. I sort of know how you feel. Had to replace the long block in mine about 4 years ago. That sucked!

Monte
04-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree now is the time. The problem is it really wasn't the time. Never had an issue. Had I left that freakin nut alone none of this would be needed. I will frame that nut when I finally find it!:o
Right now I am thinking my summer is over! We will see and I am sure money will cure all. I am on vacation so I have the time. I do not have the desire. I am beat.

Hold your chin up there Bob... You'll find it and get it fixed.......:cool:

Footin
04-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Bob, correct me if I am wrong but if the nut went down the distributer hole it would have bounced off a cam lobe and dropped into the oil pan.

If so, leave it there, it won't hurt anything riding around in the oil pan.

If it lodged in the hole or on top of the cam gear, have you tried a magnet on a stick?

TMCNo1
04-01-2007, 08:52 PM
It could be a April Fools Day Joke, it's been done at least once today!
I hope it's a joke Bob, if not I feel your pain!

BriEOD
04-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Doubt it is a joke. You don't joke about something like this!!

BriEOD
04-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Bob, how about painting the block red?

Hoosier Bob
04-02-2007, 05:14 PM
I dropped the pan and raked from back to front with a magnet. No nut. I also slid a magnet down the inside of th pan, no nut. I pulled the entire front of the engine apart expecting it to have fallen into the timing chain area. This can happen as there is a vary large opening to the front of the block as well. No nut! I saw it drop! Drove to Steve Schmidt Racing and he said he had a 351 bored to a 403 he would put in for free! I only had to advertise for him to attract marine customers! 650 HP!!!! Why not I said! Ok that part is BS but as you can see my spirits are higher. Back to Steve Schmidt. He sends Junior out and he has a magnet on a copper wire! Flexible and stays fixed. He goes right to the pan while I was saying something like it is most likely stainless steel and that is why I cannot find it (not magnetic). He responds is this it? @#$%^&*()*&^%$%^& YES! Flipped him a twenty and came back home five minutes later! All is reassembled with exception of the oil pan and some accessories. Flash blue gaskets for the water pump and timing cover. I am sore and tired and done for now. No April fools other than the "Almighty" dropping a nut in my motor. Even the big guy has a sense of humor! To the cooler!

PS That is my long way of saying that is exactly what it did! You are correct in your assement "Footin'". I had thought the same but could not retrieve the nut. I had to be sure I knew where it was. I wanted it back bad! After an hour with a flashlight and raking from back to front with a magnet I was assured it had fallen forward. My fear at that point was it was in the timing gears. I am going to frame it! Better yet send the nut back to masterCraft or Ford, I am sure they are looking for it!:o Bob, correct me if I am wrong but if the nut went down the distributer hole it would have bounced off a cam lobe and dropped into the oil pan.

If so, leave it there, it won't hurt anything riding around in the oil pan.

If it lodged in the hole or on top of the cam gear, have you tried a magnet on a stick?

BriEOD
04-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Glad to hear it Bob!!!!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Hope that's the end of your headaches and things go smoothly from here on out......anxious to hear about how great it runs and that it was all worth it:D

Hoosier Bob
04-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Put her back together today. Timing cover, Water pump and all electrics. Remember I had it ready to be pulled. Dropped the pan and cleaned out while dressing the gasket and covering corners/bends with RTV. Stripped black paint off the SS dipstick channel/pipe and polished. Reassembled. Pulled No. 1 and found compression. Set at 10degrees BTC and prepared to fire. Turn key and vroom! Idled and ran great but timing needs set to be sure. Cold weather has returned and so has the ride. I only need to fabricate the throttle plate to match up with the Accuski plate and grab the ole timing light and sure up. Looks great as well and I will post some pics when complete.

Monte
04-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Way to go Bob.. Always good to hear those %^&#*(##&%*# sighs of relief!!!! Get out the video camera, I want to hear her run!

Hoosier Bob
04-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Just idleing and hitting the gas you can tell more flow. When I get timed I will see what I need to do to the carb. Ran nicely though. Started faster and better than ever! She is always a little stubborn to get going but man not even a full turn and gone!

TMCNo1
04-03-2007, 10:25 PM
I can relax now! I have been worried about you Bob, but I knew your friends at Coor had a backup plan for you!

Hoosier Bob
04-03-2007, 10:28 PM
It is Miller now Harold! I have returned! Man I was very depressed on Friday and Saturday. I could not rest until I found that nut. Could you imagine if I had never found it? I do not even want to think about it!8p I can relax now! I have been worried about you Bob, but I knew your friends at Coor had a backup plan for you!

Leroy
04-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Good going Bob! Sure it will run better than ever!

Slinkyredfoot
04-04-2007, 08:03 AM
HB, Glad the boat it up and running, if you are anything like me, these kind of things keep me awake at night thinking...I am sure you slept well and the load is off your mind.....

Maristar210
04-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Good job Robert8p

mrcrowson
04-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Glad you got it all cleared up Bob.

TMCNo1
04-04-2007, 08:48 AM
It is Miller now Harold! I have returned! Man I was very depressed on Friday and Saturday. I could not rest until I found that nut. Could you imagine if I had never found it? I do not even want to think about it!8p

Swapping intakes and swapping beer, OMG where will it all end. Just don't drop a nut in your beer, well nevermind????????????:rolleyes: :D 8p

dchatagnon
04-01-2008, 05:53 PM
I have installed today a new edlebrock perfomer on my 93 PS190.
I was wondering too if there is a need to put the spacer again or not.
What are your suggestions ?
We were wondering also where to bolt the coil bracket... Which place do you recomend for that ?
Thanks for your answers.

east tx skier
04-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Not a mechanic, but going from memory of what I've read on here, I think if you can plumb your pcv valve to the carb (newer carbs have a port), then you can lose it along with a couple of horsepower. Also watch to see that lowering doesn't affect how your throttle cable sits as you want it to be pretty level to prevent binding.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I have installed today a new edlebrock perfomer on my 93 PS190.
I was wondering too if there is a need to put the spacer again or not.
What are your suggestions ?
We were wondering also where to bolt the coil bracket... Which place do you recomend for that ?

I put on the same manifold a couple of weeks ago along with a set of GT40-p heads. We still have a lot of ice on the lakes so no chance for any testing yet but......I put the spacer back as a way to connect the PCV system. You need to have that system working. The manifold does have some openings that I suppose could be used as a vacuum source for the PCV but I don't think the flow will be equal to all cylinders (my reason for using the spacer). I checked before starting the work but now can confirm enough clearance under the motor box with the higher manifold along with the spacer....I think your motor box is the same as my '91 190.

Where was the coil mounted before the intake swap? I'd say put it back in the same place. I'll check some of the pictures I took of mine but I think the coil bracket bolts up to the end of the head.

dchatagnon
04-02-2008, 03:35 AM
thanks for your inputs.
BEfore the coil was mounted on the right side near the carb. See picture attached.
I did not find the equivalent hole in the new manifold... Perhaps a picture of your setup will help.
Thanks

east tx skier
04-02-2008, 10:08 AM
If you keep the spacer, you will likely have clearance problems with that flame arrestor (and even a little bit of a problem with a low profile flame arrestor). I did on my 93 205. I had to cut a channel out of the aftermarket noise reduction material and trim it with foil tape.

dchatagnon
04-02-2008, 10:16 AM
I will keep the spacer but I will get rid of the actual flame arrestor.
Do you have an idea where to order a low profile one ?
Other thing concerning the throttle cable plate. Did you change to a new one ? If so where did you order it ?

Thanks

dchatagnon
04-02-2008, 04:14 PM
When installing the carb on the new intake, looks like I have a problem with the fuel line. 1.25'' is missing to bolt the line on the carb.
See pictures for details. Is there any custom made fuel line for this intake ?

BrianM
04-02-2008, 04:23 PM
You are going to have to go with a flexible line or have someone bend you a custom one.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JMS32-383831

TRBenj
04-02-2008, 04:26 PM
You are going to have to go with a flexible stainless braded hose or have someone bend you a custom one.
Or bend yourself one. 3/8" brake line is the same stuff as fuel line, and will cost you less than $10, which includes both fittings. Autozone will rent or sell you the bender and double flare tool.

Use the old line as a guide and bend it all up before you cut it to length. Worked for me, piece of cake.

east tx skier
04-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I will keep the spacer but I will get rid of the actual flame arrestor.
Do you have an idea where to order a low profile one ?
Other thing concerning the throttle cable plate. Did you change to a new one ? If so where did you order it ?

Thanks

Skidim used to have that low profile flame arrestor, but no longer carries it. I think Hoosier Bob was looking for a substitute, but they are apparently hard to come by.

As for the throttle cable bracket, my local CC dealer sourced that for me. No idea on the part number. Sorry.

stuartmcnair
04-02-2008, 04:53 PM
sounds like a good time to start with the braided stainless dress up of the engine...

dchatagnon
04-02-2008, 05:40 PM
did you use the carb plate adapter usually sold with this manifold?
or going with carb spacer and the 2 gaskets is enough ?

east tx skier
04-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I used the adapter though my installer (local auto repair guy) insisted it was unnecessary.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Here's a shot of my coil location.

dchatagnon
04-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all your inputs and pictures. Today, I have assembled successfully the fuel line and the coil.
Now I'm just looking for the low profile flame arrestor and after I'm ready to go !
IF anyone of you knows a good place to order one please let me know.
Do you think one of those K&n could do the job ?

http://www.knfilters.com/marine/boats.htm

TRBenj
04-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all your inputs and pictures. Today, I have assembled successfully the fuel line and the coil.
Now I'm just looking for the low profile flame arrestor and after I'm ready to go !
IF anyone of you knows a good place to order one please let me know.
Do you think one of those K&n could do the job ?

http://www.knfilters.com/marine/boats.htm
I dont think so- Ive checked in the past and I believe the shortest K&N offered with a 5" base is 3.75" tall- which is probably taller than your stock arrestor.

Try one of these:

Chrysler short type, both fittings (http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page77.html)

Glen-L 1.5", 1 fitting (http://boatdesigns.com/prodinfo.asp?number=90%2D460E)

Barbron 1-5/8", no fittings (http://www.keitheickert.com/detail.aspx?ID=3481)

dchatagnon
04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
I have ordered this product from keith Performance. [http://www.keitheickert.com/detail.aspx?ID=3481]
The bad thing is that it won't feet my holley 4160 carb. It will touch the air horn or neck.... (see pictures attached)

The guy from keith performance told me that it was compatible with my carb....

What can I do now ? This is not good as I plan to start the season this saturday.
Thanks for your suggestions.

dds
10-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Your engine looks nice and clean inside.

Glad to see the pix. I've got a performer manifold that will be going on shortly as well. While I'm changing out parts, I'll replace the heads with some Gt40-p's. Are you planning on making any changes in carb jetting? I'm trying to get a handle on what I am going to need to do in that department.

hey all, wondering if you could help me out.

i'm kind of new to the MC boating seen and recenty purchased a 91 190 (i even has the safe-t top) I'm trying to figure out if my motor is stock or if it's been tinkered with. i'd also like to improve the performance as it seems a little sluggish out of the hole (i think its mostly the prop and carb adjustment). the motor currently has a edelbrock performer manifold and use to have a Holley 600 until it started leaking internally so I replaced it with a Edlelbrock 600 (1409).

My questions are:
did the 351's ever come from factory with the performer manifold?

what are the GT-40p heads you speak of? how can i tell if i have them already? Or where could i get some and what would the cost be (ball park) are they pricy?

you mentioned you are installing a Mallory distributor? will this be converting the ignition system to electronic? where's a good place to get these?

if you know of any other Mod's that aren't crazy expensive that will help increase the HP & torque pls let me know

I'm deffinently interested in looking for a prop so i'll have to start researching that as well.\

Thank you!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-15-2009, 01:35 AM
The Edelbrock 1409 should do the trick nicely for you. The Performer was put on aftermarket and is also a good choice. Getting that carb tuned to your set-up should remove some sluggishness. Have you looked at compression as well as the rest of the engine basics?

GT-40p heads are another good choice that will compliment what you have. Shopping craigslist is a likely place to find a set for a reasonable amount.

Upgrading to electronic ignition with a Mallory dist. is the Cadillac of electronic ignition options and will allow you to run a hotter coil and plugs, thereby allowing more performance to be reaped from your 351. For less money, you can install a Pertronix (or similar) kit but you will never regret the Mallory unit.

I would be tempted to get the boat running with the new carb and distributor, then play with the prop. After that, you might decide to put on the heads, but you may be sufficiently satisfied with the performance. You didn't mention how you plan to use your boat.

03 35th Anniversary
10-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Look at the ends of the heads if it has 4 rasied marks like these, the are GT40p. If it only has 3 they are just GT40.

03 35th Anniversary
10-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Or you can just pull the valve covers off and look inside.....

dds
10-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Or you can just pull the valve covers off and look inside.....

cool thanks! i"ll have to into the garage and look!

thank you,

dds
10-15-2009, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=thatsmrmastercraft;639405] You didn't mention how you plan to use your boat.

i plan on using it for slalom and wake boarding....all around family boat also teaching my young kids how to ski. It's been a while since i've skied but i plan on getting back into it next year.

any suggestions on a prop? 3 or 4 blade? how do i figure out what size it is? the prop that came with the boat is a stainless 3 blade and @ around 2800 rpm i'm doing 32mph.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-16-2009, 01:37 AM
For what you plan on doing, you would be very happy with the stock configuration. The intake and carb should give you a nice boost over stock HP, and going to electronic ignition will also allow a few more ponies to be let out. Not to mention the improved starting and driveability.

The heads are definitely a nice touch but I don't think they are a must have for what you plan to do. But, then again, you can't have too much horsepower.

I have a new version of the stock three blade prop (came on the boat. I will be upgrading in spring). From what the other guys on this site have said, a 4 blade CNC prop from OJ is the way to go. Call Eric at OJ Props for the best choice for you. You will get more power out of the hole and should retain top end - all things being equal.

dds
10-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Nice
Thanks a ton!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
10-16-2009, 08:57 PM
any suggestions on a prop? 3 or 4 blade? how do i figure out what size it is?
I'd suggest giving the guys at Acme or OJ a call once you have the boat set up and running the way you want it. You will need to give them good info on your intended use of the boat, WOT RPM and speed (use a GPS to be accurate). They will steer you to the right prop....in many cases, a CNC three blade might be the way they will direct you.....I've been very happy with my 541 and the help I got from Acme. They helped me get it set up with a bit more cup than standard and it has been a big improvement over the original stainless prop in smoothness and performance.

Grover777
07-21-2010, 12:00 AM
manifold code is 3.1416