PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Wheel Dollies

cmack
03-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I have seen a lot of pictures of boats in the garage. I picked up a pair of hydraulic wheel dollies for harbor freight for 140.00 for the pair. They work great to easily get the boat parked in the garage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94682

With these, I put the boat into the middle of garage, jack the tires off the ground and slide the boat over. It is a real time saver to be able to push the boat sideways. Thought I would post this incase anyone else is interested.

If you look at the water spots on the garage floor, they start in the middle then go to the right. I can push the boat right on the wall of the garage to get the most space.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/418483903_cf2c3222a4.jpg

JLeuck64
03-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks man! This was definetly a useful post for me. My garage is real tight for space also.

Ric
03-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I have seen a lot of pictures of boats in the garage. I picked up a pair of hydraulic wheel dollies for harbor freight for 140.00. They work great to easily get the boat parked in the garage.

With these, I put the boat into the middle of garage, jack the tires off the ground and slide the boat over. It is a real time saver to be able to push the boat sideways. Thought I would post this incase anyone else is interested.

If you look at the water spots on the garage floor, they start in the middle then go to the right. I can push the boat right on the wall of the garage to get the most space.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/418483903_cf2c3222a4.jpg cool, so they lock down and you drive on them and then step on the pedal to raise them?

you need to post this in the garage thread too!

bigmac
03-17-2007, 12:15 PM
I think that's a cool idea. I've seen some people post here with some excessively tight garage space or a small driveway that makes backing the boat trailer in very difficult. Electric dollies for that are expensive. I have a buddy that mounted an electric winch with remote in the back of his garage so he could just park the trailer in the driveway and winch it in while steering by moving the tongue side to side. It's still a complicated process, but it would be a lot simpler if he could use those wheel dollies. Unfortunately, he has a tandem axle trailer which would make the cost X 4.

edit...on second thought, I wonder why he couldn't just lift by one axle for moving purposes...in which case he'd only need two...?

cmack
03-17-2007, 12:46 PM
cool, so they lock down and you drive on them and then step on the pedal to raise them?

Better -- They are "U" shaped. You simply open them up and put them around the tire. Use the foot pedal and the "arms" squeeze the tire off the ground.
Note1. They are 3/4 ton -- A little light for the boat/trailer. Sometimes they need a little help from the floor jack

I have a buddy that mounted an electric winch with remote in the back of his garage so he could just park the trailer in the driveway and winch it in while steering by moving the tongue side to side. It's still a complicated process,

Once the tires are up on these dollies, the boat can be moved in any direction.

Note2 - Make sure your garage floor is super clean. A teeny tiny skeck of something will grind into the plastic wheels making it hard to move.

you need to post this in the garage thread too!
Ok I'll add it there also

cmack
03-17-2007, 12:47 PM
edit...on second thought, I wonder why he couldn't just lift by one axle for moving purposes...in which case he'd only need two...?

He would need 4x. They work by wrapping around the tire and not on the axle

Ric
03-17-2007, 12:51 PM
I think that's a cool idea. I've seen some people post here with some excessively tight garage space or a small driveway that makes backing the boat trailer in very difficult. Electric dollies for that are expensive. I have a buddy that mounted an electric winch with remote in the back of his garage so he could just park the trailer in the driveway and winch it in while steering by moving the tongue side to side. It's still a complicated process, but it would be a lot simpler if he could use those wheel dollies. Unfortunately, he has a tandem axle trailer which would make the cost X 4.

edit...on second thought, I wonder why he couldn't just lift by one axle for moving purposes...in which case he'd only need two...? I was thinking he'd need only 2 but it depends on how hi they lift the 2 tires whether the tandem set would get off the ground????

Ric
03-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Better -- They are "U" shaped. You simply open them up and put them around the tire. Use the foot pedal and the "arms" squeeze the tire off the ground.
Note1. They are 3/4 ton -- A little light for the boat/trailer. Sometimes they need a little help from the floor jack

Once the tires are up on these dollies, the boat can be moved in any direction.

Note2 - Make sure your garage floor is super clean. A teeny tiny skeck of something will grind into the plastic wheels making it hard to move.

Ok I'll add it there also wonder if anyone makes them heavier duty with steel wheels for those of us who don't paint the floor?

bigmac
03-17-2007, 12:55 PM
He would need 4x. They work by wrapping around the tire and not on the axleI realize that...but if he can fit it around the two tires on one axle, lifting them would also lift the other two tires on the other axle.

I guess that would assume that it lifts the trailer high enough to get beyond the suspension in the other axle - otherwise those tires wouldn't get off the ground. I don't know how much suspension travel these bungee axles have - anyone know?

cmack
03-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I realize that...but if he can fit it around the two tires on one axle, lifting them would also lift the other two tires on the other axle.

I guess that would assume that it lifts the trailer high enough to get beyond the suspension in the other axle - otherwise those tires wouldn't get off the ground. I don't know how much suspension travel these bungee axles have - anyone know?

Humm -- I have never tried to see how high they would go. So you are thinking of cranking one pair of wheels really high and hope that is enough to keep the others off ground as well -- correct?
I could try. I plan on moving the boat later this week. I will give go and measure for you. I think the limitation will be the extra weight on the tandum. These are only rated for 1500lbs each.

cmack
03-17-2007, 01:12 PM
wonder if anyone makes them heavier duty with steel wheels for those of us who don't paint the floor?
My garage floor is not painted - and the plastic wheels work fine.
Yes there are ones from snap-on and for an extra 957.00 you do get steel wheels. They look like they are fixed and do not swivel.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=72522&group_ID=1724&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Another type:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A7PYRM/ref=nosim/?tag=nextag-tools-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B000A7PYRM&linkCode=asn
***Allows removal of wheel assemblies up to 52" diameter***
Are both wheel less than 52 inches total? This "might" work.

I cound not find any similar ones that lift more than 1500lbs/per dolly. For the price/capabilities mine work great!

bigmac
03-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Humm -- I have never tried to see how high they would go. So you are thinking of cranking on pair of wheels really high and hope that is enough to keep the others off ground as well -- correct? Yup...exactly.
I think the limitation will be the extra weight on the tandum. These are only rated for 3/4 ton.Well, 1500 lbs each, ought to lift many or most trailers/boats after you subtract tongue weight. The 1500 lb limit may be conservative, two of them might still lift a 3500 lb or greater rig for the time necessary to move the boat...

cmack
03-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Also like I said earlier. One of mine needs a little help from the floor jack. So I might not be able to exactly lift all the weight but can still hold the weight.

JFYI ---- I have never had an issue with returning anything to Harbor Freight -- If they don't work

bigmac
03-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Yup...exactly.
Well, 1500 lbs each, ought to lift many or most trailers/boats after you subtract tongue weight. The 1500 lb limit may be conservative, two of them might still lift a 3500 lb or greater rig for the time necessary to move the boat...

Well, I just noticed that they are $140 for a pair, not each. That certainly does make it a significantly viable alternative to a $1000 motorized dolly. I could see my buddy dropping $280 in addition to his $200 winch and vastly simplifying getting his boat and trailer into his garage.

cmack
03-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Yea They are cheap! I have been using them since 07/06 and worked great all the time

mtrask
06-06-2007, 10:48 PM
I have seen a lot of pictures of boats in the garage. I picked up a pair of hydraulic wheel dollies for harbor freight for 140.00 for the pair. They work great to easily get the boat parked in the garage.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/418483903_cf2c3222a4.jpg

Could you please pm me reguarding how you keep you bimini connected while folding the tower forward
Thanks