PDA

View Full Version : Clarion XMD3 Problems!

TigeRider
03-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Alright, I know Im not a Master Craft owner but I am working on it. Im selling my Tige 22V Riders Edition to get an X-Star. Anyway...the problem.

I bought this boat new in 04 and for the first 2 years of owning it I had no problems. Well just last year, at the beginning of 06 the Clarion XMD3 just stopped reading CD's. It was still under warranty so I took it back to my dealer and they sent it off. After waiting 3+months for a new headunit, during summer/riding time, without ANY music, I finally got my REFURBISHED XMD3 back. It worked perfect for the rest of the summer. Well, just yesterday I pulled the boat out to clean it up for the new owner (i just sold the boat and about to deliver it to new owner) and noticed the CD player wouldnt turn on. Here is what I have done as far as trouble shooting.

1. Checked all fuses going from the battery to the AMP's and the CD player.
2. Went ahead and put all new fuses in the audio lines.
3. Checked hook up at battery.
4. Used a volt meter to check the volts. I have 12 volts to both amps, the CD player, and all the remotes.

That's all I have done. I can't think of anything else to do. I tried reseting it but that didnt work either. There is a CD in it and wouldnt mind having it back. This is my 2nd XMD3 to go bad and it's really making me hate Clarion and there terrible customer service. Can anyone help me? Suggestions?

erkoehler
03-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Where are you located?

TigeRider
03-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Oklahoma City, OK

TX.X-30 fan
03-17-2007, 02:45 AM
Love my Mastercraft hate my clarion. Two remotes went bad, head unit dropped a channel 154 hrs. on the boat. No more clarion, new alpine installed. I-pod ready no separate unit, wireless remotes RF. Life Isssssss GOOOOOD. :D :D

TigeRider
03-17-2007, 02:56 AM
Im thinking that the Clarion is needing a good heave in the lake.:rolleyes:

Leroy
03-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Welcome Tigerider, hopefully we can help you with the radio problem and change that name soon!

I don't know specifically about your problem, but there are issues with this unit. I just googled it and found these.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Clarion+XMD3+Problems&btnG=Google+Search

Ric
03-17-2007, 08:15 AM
I've said it before.... clarion went over and above on the features of this unit.. too far.. it's too smart for me to use! But it has not failed on me yet.... When it acts up, it will be at the bottom of the lake with the tigerider radio!

WTRSK1R
03-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Well, just yesterday I pulled the boat out to clean it up for the new owner (i just sold the boat and about to deliver it to new owner) and noticed the CD player wouldnt turn on.

When you say the CD player won't turn on, do you mean the whole head unit has no power, or just the CD player? If the head unit turns on, what happens when you try to switch from FM radio to the CD player, anything? I am assuming that notihing gets power since you mention checking fuses and power to the stereo, but I wanted to clarify the issue. If the whole head unit is dead, I would be tempted to offer to replace it just to keep your new owner happy and cut my losses.

Steve

TigeRider
03-17-2007, 12:03 PM
When you say the CD player won't turn on, do you mean the whole head unit has no power, or just the CD player? If the head unit turns on, what happens when you try to switch from FM radio to the CD player, anything? I am assuming that notihing gets power since you mention checking fuses and power to the stereo, but I wanted to clarify the issue. If the whole head unit is dead, I would be tempted to offer to replace it just to keep your new owner happy and cut my losses.

Steve

WTRSk1R with 12v to the back of the CD player, through the harness even, and 12v to all the AMP's, the CD has NO power and will not turn on. Nothing turns on, just sits there as if there was no power.

TigeRider
03-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Welcome Tigerider, hopefully we can help you with the radio problem and change that name soon!

I don't know specifically about your problem, but there are issues with this unit. I just googled it and found these.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Clarion+XMD3+Problems&btnG=Google+Search

I hope i get out of this Tige also. I dont think im going to buy anything else with Clarion in it though!!! :D

Ric
03-17-2007, 12:10 PM
WTRSk1R with 12v to the back of the CD player, through the harness even, and 12v to all the AMP's, the CD has NO power and will not turn on. Nothing turns on, just sits there as if there was no power. but will it play radio or light up?

TigeRider
03-17-2007, 12:21 PM
No...Nothing...No power what so ever. Just power to the harness going into the back on the CD player. That is it. I just checked to see if the CD player was getting power and it is...12v. But will not turn on or light up in any way.

Ric
03-17-2007, 12:54 PM
it won't even make a really good anchor

Ric
03-17-2007, 12:55 PM
No...Nothing...No power what so ever. Just power to the harness going into the back on the CD player. That is it. I just checked to see if the CD player was getting power and it is...12v. But will not turn on or light up in any way. seriously, if mine does that to me I am going alpine
I think I still have some old alpine stuff with those big din plug connectors,,,, surely the new headunits accomodate the old din plugs:rolleyes:

lakesnake
03-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Love my Mastercraft hate my clarion. Two remotes went bad, head unit dropped a channel 154 hrs. on the boat. No more clarion, new alpine installed. I-pod ready no separate unit, wireless remotes RF. Life Isssssss GOOOOOD. :D :D

Hey TX.X-30, you think you can surrender some pics of that new head unit? Maybe start a new thread about "Pics of Aftermarket Audio Components", maybe including a couple of specs or something of the sort...

I'm planning on purchasing an MC in the future and I'm big on having good tunes, and I really like Alpine and Rockford Fosgate, so I'd like to see some of what everyone has done.

(Just a thought, lol)

TigeRider
03-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Alright I just went out and bought an XMD1 Clarion CD player just to get this boat sold. Another $300 down the drain for another fine POS Clarion.

JBaker
03-21-2007, 10:50 AM
This is my 2nd XMD3 to go bad and it's really making me hate Clarion and there terrible customer service. Can anyone help me? Suggestions?

Just call tech support @ 800-754-9876. It will be a two minute phone call. Explain your situation and I bet they will be happy to send you out a brand new unit. Clarion is notorious for standing behind their marine product. Your dealer must have gone through all the wrong channels if it took you that long to get a replacement.

JBaker
03-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Alright I just went out and bought an XMD1 Clarion CD player just to get this boat sold. Another $300 down the drain for another fine POS Clarion.

Oops...didn't see this post...

atlfootr
03-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Alright I just went out and bought an XMD1 Clarion CD player just to get this boat sold. Another $300 down the drain for another fine POS Clarion.Were'd ya buy your radio from?
I just called the # above asking about XM compatibilites and asked 'em re: your delimia as well.
They said, if from Cabella's there's only a 90 day coverage because there all re-manufactured.
If you have the "watertight" model, there's a 2 yr protection ...
If you own the other, "not watertight" there's only a 1 year coverage w/ it.
You may wish to call as well and inquire .. good luck

TigeRider
03-26-2007, 01:39 PM
It does have the water tight seals. The boat sold this spring break so Im washing my hands of the problem as of right now. Ill worry more about it when i get a Master Craft.

I bought the boat from a dealer here in OKC, OK...H&H Marine.

TX.X-30 fan
03-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Hey TX.X-30, you think you can surrender some pics of that new head unit? Maybe start a new thread about "Pics of Aftermarket Audio Components", maybe including a couple of specs or something of the sort...

I'm planning on purchasing an MC in the future and I'm big on having good tunes, and I really like Alpine and Rockford Fosgate, so I'd like to see some of what everyone has done.

(Just a thought, lol)

Sorry lakesnake never saw your post. Yes I will get the pics up here this week. I think the install looks good. We used a black watertight cover with smoked plexi lid that auto pops open.