PDA

View Full Version : Dallas vs Houston

NeilM
01-17-2005, 03:23 AM
Ok... maybe it's a premonition from the little skit MarkP did a year ago with me in the Uncle Sam outfit, but there's a chance - a small chance - that I may be asked to move to Texas..

It's about 50-50 from a business perspective if I live in Houston and spend half my time in Dallas or vice-versa...

knowing that I'm really taking the lid off...

IF this opportunity actually does unfold..

Would I be better off living in Houston or Dallas/FW? Why?

Cheers,

NeilM in Houston for a couple of days...

André
01-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Wow! How the rest of the family taking it? With my chance,if i would be ask to move,it would probably be Whitehorse or Yellowknife...
That's a BIG move Neil!

BriEOD
01-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Alright Neil, now you won't have to feel bad when you watch Canadian Bacon anymore!! ;)

bradamerry
01-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Would I be better off living in Houston or Dallas/FW? Why?

Neither, stay there, they both suck! Too many people and cars. I hate city life.

aprgriggs
01-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Lived in both places and Dallas is much better. I currently live north of DFW airport and I like it. Dallas is clean and doesn't have as much traffic as Houston. Less Traffic in Ft. Worth, but driving into Dallas in the morning can be hard.

If had a choice in Texas. I would go back to Austin. Good Luck

milkmania
01-17-2005, 11:12 AM
start thread hijack:

we spent a few nights in Austin back in July, I liked it much better than anywhere else in Texas we stayed.

San Antonio wasn't too bad, but Austin was great!
/thread hijack:

bradamerry
01-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Move to Midland, my company's home office is there. I have to go there sometimes for meetings. Nothing but wind and dirt.

SteveO
01-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Go with Dallas. Their are a large number of lakes with 30 minutes and even more if you want to drive about 2 hours. The traffic in Dallas is not as bad and DFW is not near as humid as Houston. Either way you go, the cost of living in TX is generally very low compared to other major metro areas. Good luck on your situation

sizzler
01-17-2005, 11:28 AM
the Dallas video was good,especially Larry Hagman,,but i prefer Houstons video....she definatley had more fun........

If that helps NeilM :toast:

aprgriggs
01-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Go with Dallas. Their are a large number of lakes with 30 minutes and even more if you want to drive about 2 hours. The traffic in Dallas is not as bad and DFW is not near as humid as Houston. Either way you go, the cost of living in TX is generally very low compared to other major metro areas. Good luck on your situation

That reminds me..the weather in houston sucks...it rains everyday because of the humidity. And SteveO is right the lakes are much better in dallas.

east tx skier
01-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Neil, as a native Houstonian and someone who lives close to Dallas, has friends in Dallas, and travels there regularly, I think I can offer you a good comparison. I'm not trying to start a whole Dallas v. Houston thing. I like both places and find the people I know in both cities to be top notch.

1. The short answer: move to Austin. Greatest city in Texas without question. Better lakes, better night life, and generally beautiful.

Traffic. Dallas is probably laid out better. But don't think that either city has it good when it comes to traffic. Texans live in their cars. If you put too many of us in one place, you're going to have traffic. The traffic in Houston is terrible, but if you know how to get around, you can generally avoid it. However, if you live outside the city and plan to commute inward, it's going to be an issue. Now here's where someone will tell me I'm wrong, but I'm going to say it at the risk of offending the Dallas people. Neither Houstonians nor people from Dallas can drive. My exerpience has been that Houstonians are somewhat (and I stress somewhat) more cautious, while the Dallas drivers are just nuts. That said, remember, neither can drive well. And, like Rain Man, I'm an excellent driver.

Food. Houston isn't the fattest city in America because the food stinks. The restaurants are quite fantastic. Great places in Dallas, too. But I've got to give the nod to Houston on this one.

Boating. I'd probably say Dallas. I wasn't a boater when I was in Houston and recall on a recent trip down there that I couldn't imagine, if I lived inside the loop (610), how long it would take me to get to the lake. There are lots of private lakes in Houston, and I can think of quite a few in Dallas as well.

Weather. I never realized how intolerably, miserable hot it was in Houston during the summer until I moved away. I always knew it was hot, but somehow, while I lived there I could cope. Of course, the winters are quite nice as hard freezes are quite rare. Dallas is hot, too, but as we said in Houston, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. Summers are brutal and north/east Texas has a more tolerable climate. If you move to Houston, check the 100 year flood plane for the house.

The people. Okay, the generalization is that people from Houston are more laid back than people from Dallas, but add Fort Worth into the equation, and it's a foot race. Now, generalizations aside, my experience has been, as with all cities, there are some wonderful people in both Dallas and Houston.

Arts and Leisure. As a person who liked to go see live music, the short answer is that you're likely to get more big shows in Dallas. There are lots of good clubs. The museums are fantastic. Blah blah blah. Houston's got plenty of it, too though.

Cost of living. As I've heard people remark in East Texas, this is six of one, half-a-dozen of the other. Relative to the rest of the planet, it's cheap to live in Texas.

Boat dealers. There are more in Dallas. But I prefer the MC dealer in Houston.

The ocean. The gulf of Mexico is roughly 50 minutes from downtown Houston and four-and-a-half hours from Dallas. Of course, there's Hurricane season to go with that. Houston's not quite so vulnerable as it would be if it were a legitimate coastal city. That said, I've ridden out a hurricane in Houston, and I'd rather be skiing.

Sprawl. It's the Texas way. Houston is enormous. And there's a strip mall for everyone. Yet, Dallas is always so eager to claim Ft. Worth that I'll just call it a toss up inasmuch as when you're in the middle of it, you can't imagine the end of it.

I'll add more later as I think of it. With their pros and cons, both are nice places to live, but Austin wins.

aprgriggs
01-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Neil, as a native Houstonian and someone who lives close to Dallas, has friends in Dallas, and travels there regularly, I think I can offer you a good comparison. I'm not trying to start a whole Dallas v. Houston thing. I like both places and find the people I know in both cities to be top notch.

1. The short answer: move to Austin. Greatest city in Texas without question. Better lakes, better night life, and generally beautiful.

Traffic. Dallas is probably laid out better. But don't think that either city has it good when it comes to traffic. Texans live in their cars. If you put too many of us in one place, you're going to have traffic. The traffic in Houston is terrible, but if you know how to get around, you can generally avoid it. However, if you live outside the city and plan to commute inward, it's going to be an issue. Now here's where someone will tell me I'm wrong, but I'm going to say it at the risk of offending the Dallas people. Neither Houstonians nor people from Dallas can drive. My exerpience has been that Houstonians are somewhat (and I stress somewhat) more cautious, while the Dallas drivers are just nuts. That said, remember, neither can drive well. And, like Rain Man, I'm an excellent driver.

Food. Houston isn't the fattest city in America because the food stinks. The restaurants are quite fantastic. Great places in Dallas, too. But I've got to give the nod to Houston on this one.

Boating. I'd probably say Dallas. I wasn't a boater when I was in Houston and recall on a recent trip down there that I couldn't imagine, if I lived inside the loop (610), how long it would take me to get to the lake. There are lots of private lakes in Houston, and I can think of quite a few in Dallas as well.

Weather. I never realized how intolerably, miserable hot it was in Houston during the summer until I moved away. I always knew it was hot, but somehow, while I lived there I could cope. Of course, the winters are quite nice as hard freezes are quite rare. Dallas is hot, too, but as we said in Houston, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. Summers are brutal and north/east Texas has a more tolerable climate. If you move to Houston, check the 100 year flood plane for the house.

The people. Okay, the generalization is that people from Houston are more laid back than people from Dallas, but add Fort Worth into the equation, and it's a foot race. Now, generalizations aside, my experience has been, as with all cities, there are some wonderful people in both Dallas and Houston.

Arts and Leisure. As a person who liked to go see live music, the short answer is that you're likely to get more big shows in Dallas. There are lots of good clubs. The museums are fantastic. Blah blah blah. Houston's got plenty of it, too though.

Cost of living. As I've heard people remark in East Texas, this is six of one, half-a-dozen of the other. Relative to the rest of the planet, it's cheap to live in Texas.

Boat dealers. There are more in Dallas. But I prefer the MC dealer in Houston.

The ocean. The gulf of Mexico is roughly 50 minutes from downtown Houston and four-and-a-half hours from Dallas. Of course, there's Hurricane season to go with that. Houston's not quite so vulnerable as it would be if it were a legitimate coastal city. That said, I've ridden out a hurricane in Houston, and I'd rather be skiing.

Sprawl. It's the Texas way. Houston is enormous. And there's a strip mall for everyone. Yet, Dallas is always so eager to claim Ft. Worth that I'll just call it a toss up inasmuch as when you're in the middle of it, you can't imagine the end of it.

I'll add more later as I think of it. With their pros and cons, both are nice places to live, but Austin wins.

wow, this is good advice....

Ric
01-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Austin is my favorite town but I have to earn a living here and visit Austin as much as possible.
April, enough Htown bashing baby!
Neil, we wish you well on your move.
How much do you ski and does it play into where you live?
If you live in Houston, the only good skiing is on private lakes because there are LOTS of boats in the area. As far as fun on the water, the clear lake(SE Houston) area is great if you aren't doing serious skiing.
I don't really like Dallas any more or less than Houston but it's really a matter of preference as I dont think the climates are greatly different.
It "might" be a bit cheaper to live here but it's close and both towns are way below national average on home costs, food prices etc. (we're the fattest)
TRAFFIC aint all that good in DFW, HOU or AUS in my opinion but you have to deal with it.
North of dallas has some well planned suburbs like you will find north and west of houston.
Do you have school age kids?
If you will be back and forth to each, will you be driving?
Maybe conroe is right for you with a 1hr commute to downtown HOU and cut about an hour off your trip if you drive to DFW alot??? Plenty of commuter traffic from conroe into hou but a pretty nice place to live.

BriEOD
01-17-2005, 01:55 PM
In the later 80's early 90's Houston was the murder capital of the US, was it not?

Ric
01-17-2005, 01:56 PM
stay off my lawn

bradamerry
01-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Shreveport is the place for you. 3 hours from Dallas and 3 1/2 from Houston. 2 1/2 from Lake Greeson. And Farmer lives here :dance: !!

Farmer Ted
01-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Shreveport is the place for you. 3 hours from Dallas and 3 1/2 from Houston. 2 1/2 from Lake Greeson. And Farmer lives here :dance: !!

Come on down Neal, we need a Wakeboard boat for the
Bossier Pro(zac) Tour

bradamerry
01-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Come on down Neal, we need a Wakeboard boat for the
Bossier Pro(zac) Tour

And we cook alot. You haven't eaten good ribs until you have eaten the Wildman's. :D

Farmer Ted
01-17-2005, 08:28 PM
And we cook alot. You haven't eaten good ribs until you have eaten the Wildman's. :D

Wildman,

I might need an emergency fixin of ribs, to get my energy levels back up after this weekend.... :banana:

............and I sang her every Willie Nelson song I could think of....

bradamerry
01-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Wildman,

I might need an emergency fixin of ribs, to get my energy levels back up after this weekend.... :banana:

............and I sang her every Willie Nelson song I could think of....
We have been wondering, Hint the thread called "Farmer??"!

NeilM
01-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Wow - thanks for all the input. Too soon by far to say if it's going to happen, but somehow I get the feeling that if/when the mud starts sliding, it's going to be fast...

I'll keep you posted...

André
01-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Neil
You would miss on those winters -35 so much and how about those 110 f in summer... :eek:

Ric
01-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Neil
You would miss on those winters -35 so much and how about those 110 f in summer... :eek:
110f in the summer AND we all wear ten gallon hats too!

start working on it now neil.... "the stars at night. are big and bright.... " you know the rest

Leroy
01-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Neil; With your sports background, you'll love the new events like the Hotter than HeII Hundred. http://www.hh100.org/new.shtml

east tx skier
01-18-2005, 11:15 AM
In the later 80's early 90's Houston was the murder capital of the US, was it not?

It might have been one year, but I always remember it being Detroit or New Orleans. Houston was the pollution capital briefly a few years back if memory serves. But I think L.A. soon reclaimed the title. Of course, I could be wrong.

Ric, are you a Native Houstonian? If so, that might explain your thoughts on the climate in Houston versus Dallas. I used to be of the mind that it reaches a point where hot is hot is hot. But shortly after I moved away, I traveled to Houston from northeast Texas and arrived at about 11 PM (mid-August). When I got out of the car, even at night, I almost fell over the air was so heavy/hot. What's funny is that once you've lived in Houston a while, you don't notice how drastic the heat is. Like I said, hot is hot is hot. It wouldn't be a huge factor for me though. That's why God invented air-conditioning and illuminated jogging trails.

east tx skier
01-18-2005, 11:21 AM

3.5 hours from Shreveport to Houston? Not unless that Ford truck has wings. :D I'd think it'd be at least 4 1/2 hours.

Ric
01-18-2005, 11:37 AM
It might have been one year, but I always remember it being Detroit or New Orleans. Houston was the pollution capital briefly a few years back if memory serves. But I think L.A. soon reclaimed the title. Of course, I could be wrong.

Ric, are you a Native Houstonian? If so, that might explain your thoughts on the climate in Houston versus Dallas. I used to be of the mind that it reaches a point where hot is hot is hot. But shortly after I moved away, I traveled to Houston from northeast Texas and arrived at about 11 PM (mid-August). When I got out of the car, even at night, I almost fell over the air was so heavy/hot. What's funny is that once you've lived in Houston a while, you don't notice how drastic the heat is. Like I said, hot is hot is hot. It wouldn't be a huge factor for me though. That's why God invented air-conditioning and illuminated jogging trails.
yes I am and the native effect may play into it because my kids lived in ft worth for a couple of years and day or night didnt seem any less HOT to me. Another explanation is that I hate being cold (other than an occasional visit to a ski slope or an elk hunt), so it's just right for me here.
Austin gets Damn hot as well but when I'm there I am not far from getting into a cool lake.
ya, ya, it's not so much the heat as it is the humidity :rant:

bradamerry
01-18-2005, 11:40 AM
3.5 hours from Shreveport to Houston? Not unless that Ford truck has wings. :D I'd think it'd be at least 4 1/2 hours.

There's a reason Farmer calls me the WILDMAN!!! :dance:

east tx skier
01-18-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm the opposite. I hate being hot. Cold, I can add clothing. But to go the other way is frowned upon. Texas is just plain hot. And if you move here from Canada, it probably won't make a difference where you go, you're going wonder why things aren't melting.

Where do you elk hunt? I've been once. We were near Eagle, CO.

bradamerry
01-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Where do you elk hunt? I've been once. We were near Eagle, CO.[/QUOTE]

You should have hunting NBA All-Stars, you could have saved that county MILLIONS.

Ric
01-18-2005, 11:51 AM
I am NOT a big time hunter but I have family in CO and they love to hunt
I've not bagged the big one but have hunted near buford, sleepy cat, rifle, and some I dont remember. We rough it and that is all the cold I need to experience, brrrrrrrrrr.

east tx skier
01-18-2005, 11:52 AM
I was waiting for that one. :) Should've mentioned that it was 16 years ago. I don't really remember too many swank resorts in Eagle back then.

NeilM
01-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Let me see if I can answer the questions:

(IF - STILL A BIG 'IF') this does come together (and the way it looks right now): I either live in Houston and spend just under half my time flying to Dallas or I live in Dallas and spend just over half my time flying to Houston.

Although I like the Austin idea, that'd mean a LONG commute everyday, which just isn't feasible.

Yes, I'd be bringing the family. Yes, I'd love to be somewhere where I can put the boat in fresh water (easily), but I sincerely doubt I'd be able to afford to live on a private lake. (Got any links to private lakes I could look at?)

How do I feel about all of this? I'm scared $hitless... I'm a Canadian, my dad was also born in Canada - my roots, my relatives, and my pension are all here (I'm back in Calgary now).

The thing that excites me least about moving to Houston is the humidity. I melt real easy, and am used to 35% relative humidity when the temps exceed 100F. Next is the size of the city / traffic. I find Calgary, at just under a million, too big for my liking.

But, IF it does come together, the opportunity is just too good to say 'no'... And yes, I would miss my cross-country skiing, which right now, I can do from about 15 mins away from here...

André
01-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Neil
Any troubles sleeping? LOL

bradamerry
01-18-2005, 08:35 PM
I've lived in this area all my life and would love to live farther north. I like the idea of four seasons. And no the cold doesn't bother me. I like cold weather and snow. I only waterski during the summer anyway. October comes around and the Wildman is ready for some hunting. :D

NeilM
01-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Neil
Any troubles sleeping? LOL

Yep.. Big time troubles.. slept maybe 15 mins tops last night in Houston..

Ric
01-19-2005, 10:58 AM
sounds like you need to pick a town and then choose an area very near the airport and then find you a ski lake!
I will dig up some ski community links for you

east tx skier
01-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Houston
Lago Santa Fe
http://www.ski-lago.com/index.html

Lakes of Katy
http://lsfdev.com/recent.htm

Lake Cypress Hill (for info, call (281) 290-0970)

Dallas

Princeton Lakes
www.princetonlakespoa.com

Lucky Lake (Greenville, TX)
http://www.dfwski.com (can't live there, but memberships available)

Closer to Dallas than Houston

"The Secret Spot"

tex
01-19-2005, 12:14 PM
neal-Drop me a line, I live inbetween d/fw and go to Conroe(n of houston). I'll give you the lowdown. mspence@tarrantcounty.com

Robert Averyt
01-20-2005, 01:30 PM
You have all missed the best solution.

College Station is half way between Houston and Dallas (almost).

We have no traffic. The best people in the world. Several nice public lakes in the area and one really sweet private lake.

NeilM
01-20-2005, 07:32 PM

We have no traffic. The best people in the world. Several nice public lakes in the area and one really sweet private lake.

But then, I'd be commuting a long way EVERY day..?

NeilM
01-20-2005, 07:34 PM
sounds like you need to pick a town and then choose an area very near the airport and then find you a ski lake!
I will dig up some ski community links for you

Yep, I think that's right - somewhat near the airport, anyway...

Really appreciate the efforts, guys. I'm starting to feel a little less knotted up over this - IF it does happen...

tex
01-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Keller-20 minutes from DFW and countless lakes(both privite and public) within 30 minutes. I hear about new privite sites all the time. This is amazing because I am pretty dialed into the local scene. You can even get closer to the airport without the traffic!

east tx skier
01-21-2005, 11:29 AM
But then, I'd be commuting a long way EVERY day..?

And the Aggie chants would keep you up all night. :D

Hook 'em! :headbang:

Ric
01-21-2005, 11:37 AM
haaaa yes Neil, Robert was not speaking from practicality but rather the fact that nobody mentioned college station!

Ric
01-21-2005, 04:39 PM

Doug, apparantly the Bush's have the swedish all in an uproar today for giving the hookem horns sign to some people in the innaugral parade
apparantly in sweden, it's "the sign of the devil". Same as in aggieland

tex
01-21-2005, 04:45 PM

East Texas-Nice Aviator-Dude-It's Friday and I want a mean caucasian!

east tx skier
01-21-2005, 05:24 PM
If I could downsize that right, he'd be animated licking the bowling ball. That's my dream halloween costume, and one of my favorite movies.

"Easy man, there's a beverage involved here." :toast:

Ric, the photoshops I've seen of Jenna's horns are a bit more foul than what the Swedes think it is.

tex
01-21-2005, 05:27 PM
I go to a buddy's law firm on most Fridays.We set around throwing back cocktails and watch the greatness of the Dude!

east tx skier
01-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Then this should make your day.

Big Lebowski Random Quote Generator (http://www.dymphna.net/randomquotage/lebowskiquotes.shtml)

tex
01-21-2005, 06:03 PM
i already have it listed on my favorites!

Ric
01-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Then this should make your day.

Big Lebowski Random Quote Generator (http://www.dymphna.net/randomquotage/lebowskiquotes.shtml)

let me tell you something about the dude.......

tex
01-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Don't F with the Jesus!

_JR
01-22-2005, 01:39 PM

Abso-freakin-lutely.

I have lived in both, Houston for 15 yrs, Dallas for three years and just moved to Austin in January of 2003.

As a native Texan (who has also lived in the Bay Area), the only place in Texas worth living is in Austin. Houston and Dallas are both painful.

My :twocents: on Houston (Dallas to follow)

Topography
Coastal Plains. Flat, hot and humid.
Weather - Hurricaines are the obvious big weather event, but most of Houston is far enough inland that the Hurricaines don't do too much damage to the city. The biggest weather issue (besides the freakin humidity) is rain and flooding. Houston is the definition of a concrete jungle, so the water just backs up everywhere.

People
Most folks are friendly, and you will hear a heavy dose of ya'll, howdy and f*** you. Once folks are out of their cars, they are usually pretty civil. International city, so the population base is much more diverse than Dallas/Ft Worth. Much more of a casual city than Dallas, and you don't need to have a BMW or Mercedes to be cool.

Culture
As the fourth largest city in the US, Houston has a variety of arts and entertainment to enjoy. Similar to Dallas in this regard, but the folks in Houston don't talk it up as much. Professional Baseball, Football and Basketball teams. Minor League hockey team (hey, THEY are still playing!)

Water Sports
Several lakes nearby, (Lake Houston, Lake Conroe, Lake Livingston, Clear Lake) and several rivers to ski in. Gulf is close, so saltwater fishing (bay and deep water) is a nice option if you are so inclined.

Traffic
Katy Freeway (I-10) - is the worst, AND it is under construction. If you will be commuting into downtown, this road will take years off of your life. They are scheduled to have I-10 widened within the next few years, so that will help. Until then, pain. :rant:
Southwest Freeway (59) - has been widened and is decent until you get to the Sugarland area, where the freeway loses a few lanes.
45 South - Loads of traffic heading to Clear Lake.
45 North - Construction has added lanes, traffic is heavy.
288 South - New developments are popping up off of 288, so traffic is increasing. Lots of room to add additional lanes, traffic is moderate.
59 North - Construction has added new lanes up to Conroe, but traffic is heavy.
Loop 610 - bumper car alley. Drive like hell and do NOT use a turn signal indicator.

Layout
Sprawl is enormous, so whatever area you settle in, you will spend most of your time in that area.
If you like to shop and eat out, you are in luck. Several LARGE shopping malls in Houston, and restaurants are everywhere. You won't go hungry. :D

Neighborhoods
Inside the Loop (610)
Rice University area
River Oaks
The Village
West University
All are quite pricey, but are inside the loop. Schools are not so great, most send kids to private schools in this area. If you are a Dr. or a Lawyer, you will fit in well. Minutes from downtown.

Suburbs:
Katy - West Houston
Clear Lake - South Houston
Sugar Land - SW Houston
Kingwood - NE Houston
Spring - N Houston
Conroe - N Houston
Pearland - SW Houston

If you will be flying back and forth from Houston to Dallas, you might want to focus on something in Kingwood/Spring/Conroe so that you are close to Intercontinental Airport (American Airlines). Or, you could look in the Clear Lake area, which is somewhat close to Hobby Airport. (Southwest Airlines)

Good luck with your relocation!

_JR
01-22-2005, 01:46 PM

1. First, what the hell is up with "you have all"??? It is Ya'll!!! ;)

2. The reason that you have not traffic is because there is NOTHING in College Station other than A&M and WalMart. Yea, the Chicken is a cool spot, but I wouldn't call that fine dining! ;)

tex
01-24-2005, 10:11 AM
All right, I have to weigh in on the Austin thing. Great city, if you can find work. 10 billion UT students who graduate and don't want to leave the place! Cost of living and traffic are not that great! Music, nightlife, and recreation are 2nd to none!

Robert Averyt
01-24-2005, 10:50 AM
1. First, what the hell is up with "you have all"??? It is Ya'll!!! ;)

2. The reason that you have not traffic is because there is NOTHING in College Station other than A&M and WalMart. Yea, the Chicken is a cool spot, but I wouldn't call that fine dining! ;)
Yall don't think the Chicken is not fine dining?
Sure the local Walmart is big but yall should check out our Target.
And we suren do take grt pride in our nue academy

_JR
01-29-2005, 11:23 AM
mo betta Robert!

Tom Wortham
01-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Lived in both places and Dallas is much better. I currently live north of DFW airport and I like it. Dallas is clean and doesn't have as much traffic as Houston. Less Traffic in Ft. Worth, but driving into Dallas in the morning can be hard.

Ditto Aprgriggs.
Lived in both places. Currently in Plano.. north of Dallas. Good Lakes. Eaiser to get around. Good Luck. Does your company move alot of people?

AirJunky
01-31-2005, 06:53 PM

Ain't that the truth. Lived in both DFW & Houston myself. I can't believe how far we had to drive to get to a lake. Head for Austin if you have the choice.

Moved to Washington a number of years ago & it's night & day difference. Still hot dry desert but there are hills that keep it from getting windy. And a lot less traffic.

NeilM
02-10-2005, 09:12 AM
Well guys, it's still undecided.. Looks like I'll be doing the sixteen hour day thing for a while yet - commuting from Calgary to Houston, Chicago, and now Plano, TX this week, working on a new proposal AND still responsible for my 'day job'...

It could potentially be the end of April before we know if we're moving somewhere warmer....
Sorry I haven't been on the board -- it's just nuts.

east tx skier
02-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Good luck. Keep us posted. And don't forget to get up and stretch from time to time.

Larryp
03-30-2005, 02:10 AM
Just came across this thread. Move to Plano. Nobody from Texas lives there. It's a great place to ski. Lake Texhoma is not far away. Please do not move to ellis, hill or kaufman co. we like our ease of living and boating. :D Guns Up

east tx skier
03-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Sounds like when I tell people "Lake-o-the-Pines is a great place to ski."

/never skied there.

martini
03-30-2005, 12:22 PM
.........Austin is not the town you are looking for.....move along. ;)

east tx skier
03-30-2005, 12:23 PM
... to the east. The rollers on the Pedernales are downright dangerous. :)

martini
03-30-2005, 12:44 PM
I've got nothin' else.

That line has stayed with me since childhood and I will use it when I feel it is appropriate. Most people don't "get it" and then I have to explain to them that it is a line in Star Wars. As soon as I explain it, it is followed with "your such a dork". What can I say, the original trilogies came out when I was a "young'n" and they are burned on my brain forever!

On another, lake related note, I am about to move into a boat friendly condo community just north, (I could probably spit on it), of the 360 bridge and the boat launch underneath it on lake Austin. Not to mention the fact that I will be closer to work as well! It will literaly take me less than five minutes to the launch. Every once in awhile the stars will line up I guess.

east tx skier
03-30-2005, 01:20 PM
That's a beautiful thing. Is that the free launch on Lake Austin? I haven't spent much time on Lake Austin since my brother-in-law discovered the Pedernales. It sure does get chilly up by the Travis dam though.

Don't worry, Obi-Wan, I got it.

/You want to talk dork, I'll bet you didn't know this website. www.supershadow.com

martini
03-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Well, it used to be free. Travis county has put a $10 premium on that ramp now. That's okay because you can purchase an annual pass for about $130, which would be worth it, because i know I will put in there more than 13 times this summer. Not to mention the fact that the pass will get me into Pale Face(Pedernales) as well. There is only one real "free" ramp that I know of on Lake Austin now and that is Quinlin Park. There is another city ramp at the south end of the lake by Miller Dam and it is generally free during the week, but on the weekend they charge $5 to park your truck and trailor.

Ric
03-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Well, it used to be free. Travis county has put a $10 premium on that ramp now. That's okay because you can purchase an annual pass for about $130, which would be worth it, because i know I will put in there more than 13 times this summer. Not to mention the fact that the pass will get me into Pale Face(Pedernales) as well. There is only one real "free" ramp that I know of on Lake Austin now and that is Quinlin Park. There is another city ramp at the south end of the lake by Miller Dam and it is generally free during the week, but on the weekend they charge $5 to park your truck and trailor.
cooooooold water
havent been there in a few years but what a great lake WHEN it's not a boarding boat parade
I guess weekdays are the answer there but I'm sure you'll let us know ;)

martini
03-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Week days, after work for sure. I never go to that lake on the weekends unless it's bright and squirrelly in the mornin'. The water is cold, but o-so-refreshing in the August heat. And yes I will let everyone know!

east tx skier
03-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Weekends are a wash on lake Austin. This has come up before, but what's the restaurant on the lake with all the old ski gear on the wall.

By the way, a year pass to my local ramp runs me $45. Launches are $3. The free ramp a mile down the road has served my cheap butt well for the last year. Small town. All you've got to do is remind me that you have a Whole Foods Market, an H.E.B., and can buy beer at the convenience store, and I'll shut up.

martini
03-30-2005, 03:51 PM
SkiShores. Best burger in town and way better than the other resaurant up the river.

About lake ramp usage fees and affordability, it's not as bad as the racket they have on Lake Allen-Henry up there in Lubbock. Good Lord you have to take out a loan to use that lake. They charge for the vehicle, the boat and trailer, and any people you have with you. You of course get a discount for being a Lubbock resident(which my wife currently is, law school), but it will cost you anything from $30 to $45 per trip. Ridiculous! My wife has explicitly banned me/us from going there anymore.

east tx skier
03-30-2005, 04:28 PM
That's it.

Yikes on the $45 per trip. Between that and a private lake membership, it's an easy choice.

Larryp
03-30-2005, 04:38 PM
martini tell me you go to buffalo, now there is a lake. I personally love lake allen henry, after a good rain storm there is nothing like skiing up the river. If you want crazy I grew up on lake meridith, It cost a lot to go there now and with the water level so low you can not find any place to ski, it is impossible. You might try lake mackenzie out by planview. Remember Pk is only a quick 5 hrs away.

martini
03-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Fortunately I don't have to go skiing up there and Buffalo sess pool is naaaaasty! The Allen-Henry trip was a onetime deal right before I winterized the boat this past season. I store it in Midland where my parents live and my father has a warehouse. It's actually a very good place to store, as it will dry out over the winter due to the lack of humidity. The only time I'm going to Lubbock is for visiting my Wife and that is it. I am lucky that I have a job in Austin that supports both of us while she's in Law School, it sucks that she can't be here right now though. Nope, surrounding Austin lakes are my domain, thank God!

NeilM
04-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Still no corporate decisions, but, if it does happen, it looks like I'll be working the majority of the time in the Houston / Westlake area. Anything around there?

east tx skier
04-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Westlake? Which lake?

NeilM
04-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Doug - looks like its Westlake Park Blvd... out towards Katy...

Ric
04-04-2005, 05:52 PM
sounds like you may be near lakes of katy and lakes at cypress hill
There are probably others but those are the freshest ones to mind at the moment

east tx skier
04-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Ah, I see. I kept thinking of Westlake Hills in Austin.