PDA

View Full Version : Garage floor coating?

jimmer2880
03-16-2007, 12:21 PM
I wasn't planning on doing anything to my new 32x32 Garage floor since it's mostly a workshop. However, the 5" concrete floor has cracked both ways. Not very happy about that:mad: . Anyway - I think I'd better seal the crack since it's not a heated garage.

So - now I'm thinking about sealing the whole thing, or paint, etc. Nothing fancy because it is a shop (welding, torches, grinding, etc). Any thoughts? Needs to be on the cheaper side of things - I spent all my money on the garage :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-16-2007, 12:40 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12061

I looked into this, and I found someone I know that had it done the way I would like mine.
Then I found out they paid about $4000.00 to have a 20X20 done. I've received several samples of products. And after trying them, I am not impressed. When I finish the projects I am working on, I think I am leaning toward the rubber "tiles".

Even the best floor coating I could find had a 5 or 8 year life expentancy. I don't want to think about how much it will be in 8 years to scrap the old off and reapply.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Did they put any control joints in that 32x32?

Sodar
03-16-2007, 12:46 PM

I do not think I have ever seen CJ's in a garage.....

jimmer2880
03-16-2007, 12:46 PM

I wasn't there when they pored it. But - I dont' think so. :(

Sodar
03-16-2007, 12:50 PM
We did this on our garage floor and it has held up spectacular over the last few years... I do not pamper the stuff either!!!

http://www.gotcoatings.com/index.html

Workin' 4 Toys
03-16-2007, 01:11 PM
I do not think I have ever seen CJ's in a garage.....
So you get the sames "cracks" he is talking about then right? Or are you not around the projects long enough for it to make a difference or notice?

I have done a few concrete projects of my own. And I put the joints no further than 8' apart (with one exception I did a 12x14 without any). This same location has no visible cracks to date (last I saw it months ago that is) and some of the slabs have been there for about 6 years. It may or may not have anything to do with me using 6" thick slabs, rebar, and wire mesh, instead of 4" as code minimums require.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-16-2007, 01:12 PM
We did this on our garage floor and it has held up spectacular over the last few years... I do not pamper the stuff either!!!

http://www.gotcoatings.com/index.html
Who installed it??

Sodar
03-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Who installed it??

The company... I think it was $1575 for a 2-car garage. We got together with three of our neighbors and all had it done at the same time. I think it took them about 3 days to do it.

jimmer2880
03-16-2007, 01:23 PM
The floor is 5"thick of fiber re-inforced concrete. but, no CJ's, rebar, mesh, etc as far as I know. The 2 cracks (which run perpendicular to each other) are not exactly straight also. So - that tells me no CJ's. It hasn't even been 5 months since they pored it either :( . Can't wait till I see my neighbor again (he's the one who did it & has been doing concrete for 30 years).

Anyway - I'm very interested in what Sodar had done. Sounds pricey though.

bkblaida
03-16-2007, 01:26 PM
3 years ago I coated our garage with the Rust-Oleum Expoxy floor coat sold at Home Depot. Cost about $180.00 in materials and another $75.00 to rent a commercial sander to prepare the floor. It lasted 2 years before starting to peel off. Rust-Oleum was good in telling me what caused the peeling (moisture & free salt in the concrete) offered me some repair samples, but the bottom line is the retail products will not hold up. I hired a guy to sand off the old ($300) purchased the commercial grade of Rust-Oleum floor epoxy, the kind used in ware houses ($400) and repainted the floor. The new floor is 10 times the floor the original was and you cannot get it to chip with a hammer.

My learning curve:

Avoid retail products - they will not hold up in a garage. Great for a basement, bad news under the weight of cars and boats and changing weather.

Commercial poured urathanes (1/8" thick, guaranteed for life) will cost $4,000 + depending upon size and local markets. They are beautiful and worth the $$. But they do not fit into everyones budget, like mine.

Commercial 2 part epoxy coatings (what I applied). Should hold up for years (10+) if you properly prepare and apply, and should cost you about $750 -1,500 if you apply. The challenge is to find a commercial floor company that will sell you the product. I ordered through my companies maintenance department. Make sure you have fair weather, 60-80 degrees, and 2-3 days. Prep work is everything, do not skimp on sanding and preparing the floor.

Good Luck!

jjohnson0511
03-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Jimmer:

Check out www.ucoatit.com I know a few people at work that did exactly what your looking to do themselves and it turned out great. I will upload a few after pics as soon as i recieve them if your interested. I think it was pretty reasonable just a bit time consuming

Sodar
03-16-2007, 01:28 PM
It is pricey, but it has held up well, is VERY easy to clean and looks awesome. We tried the home depot stuff and it just would not work for us, because we had floor sealer on our garage floor. Actually, these guys brought in a floor sander and a sand blaster for us, to remove the sealer to aid in adhesion. Our price was a little higher than the neighbors, because of our floor....
http://www.gotcoatings.com/images/galleries/2-17-03/4.jpg