PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird install....yikes

theDano
03-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Ok so I thought this would be an easy take out the clock and install a depth sounder. When I removed the dash face and located the clock I was amazed to see so many wires going to and leaving the clock. I am not an electrical guy at all. The instructions are as if you have cut a brand new hole in the dash and run the power to the power and the ground to a ground. What do I do with all the other wires??? There are like 2 blacks, couple red/pinks, a couple of lavender, an orange one etc etc. Some go to other instruments.

It all looks factory wiring to me without any mods.

It is a 93 PS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

mash
03-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I took my clock out of my '93 for the same reason. Just power from the ignition (not sure of the color) and a ground (black) wire to run the clock. The other wires should be for the light in the clockface, I believe the light power is purple and there is another ground for that.

It's been a while.

Hoosier Bob
03-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Keep the clock! I purchased a lovely black automobile trash can. I cut the can down, cut a hole in the bottom with a hole saw and mounted the entire assembly on the left side kick panel just under the dash. Not in my face but I set the alarm and can see it in a glance. Looks cool and like it belongs there without losing my cool clock! Then you just hook it up to an accessory switch.;)

JKTX21
03-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Ha, I love MasterCraft as much as the next cult member, but I will never understand why MC put clocks in the Prostars and not depth sounders.

IMO, it's always time for a pull, time to drive, or time to relax and maybe have a beer!

theDano
03-16-2007, 07:08 AM
mmmm interesting thought there HB. Mash thanks for the advice. I will see what happens soon. I will post back to let you know. Get yur popcorn cookin,

MarkP
03-16-2007, 11:30 PM
I wish I remembered what wire was what?? I do remember that it was easy to figure out after looking at it. If Iím not mistaken, you donít want to take power from the same terminal as your clock was on or the DF will be on all the time. A quick trip around those wires with a tester should help if your unsure..

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Here is the WalMart trash can install. Lower left!8p

cbryan70
03-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I have that same depth finder. It seems to jump up and down alot and never seems to have the right depth. Im running in murkey water and it is fairly shallow anywhere from 8 feet to 3 feet. Would the murkey water cause it to be inaccurate?

Sodar
03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Here is the WalMart trash can install. Lower left!8p

Cool Idea! Looks great!!

theDano
03-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks HoosB!!!! Now I will do that or something similar

JKTX21
03-19-2007, 01:54 PM
I have that same depth finder. It seems to jump up and down alot and never seems to have the right depth. Im running in murkey water and it is fairly shallow anywhere from 8 feet to 3 feet. Would the murkey water cause it to be inaccurate?

I don't think murky water would cause it to be inaccurate. It's pretty muddy where I go. My Humminbird actually worked well (about 90% of the time) yesterday, and I still haven't glued it down. I think for the best results, you would have to mount on the transom... It works well enough in the hull for me, minus the alarm going off at random.

Ric
03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
I wish I remembered what wire was what?? I do remember that it was easy to figure out after looking at it. If Iím not mistaken, you donít want to take power from the same terminal as your clock was on or the DF will be on all the time. A quick trip around those wires with a tester should help if your unsure..
That's funny, my Dog's nickname is DF

theDano
05-26-2007, 01:32 PM
I bought a fairly decent looking housing for my humminbird depthsounder. Found here --> http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index...ROD&ProdID=302

The shipping was a rip off but I got it all for ~ $19.

Below is a pic where I installed it located on the left kick panel wall below the dash. I think it looks pretty good.

JohnnyB
05-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Very nice looking housing. When I did my depth guage in my 92, I put the hour meter down in that location and put the depth guage in it's place. I don't look at the hour meter nearly as often as the depth guage. I used a guage holder and put it in the lower right....

Here's a pic...