PDA

View Full Version : Offical "Magic Eraser" Thread

SDAhockey21
03-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Well most of us bow down to this white sponge of wonders but some don't even know about the magical powers of the Magic Eraser. Yes it really is magic!

If you have never used the Magic Eraser you probably have stains on your boat that you don't even bother to clean anymore because you know that they WILL NOT come out no matter how hard you scrub! But rest assured if you have a Magic Eraser that once permanent stain will come out in 2 seconds flat! How does this little sponge work your ask? Well I have no idea, but it works and that all that matters!!!!

Oh and you know those infamous boat buddy scuffs????
What boat buddy scuffs??:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
The Magic Eraser takes them out in 2 seconds flat!

So what stain have you gotten out of your boat that has been there as long as you remember?

And if you have never used a Magic Eraser get out there and get one because i bet your boat (MaterCraft) is dirty;)

east tx skier
03-15-2007, 07:00 PM
So far, it's worked on everything except that faint yellowing lots of us tend to get around our heat stamps in the vinyl. Great product.

CarlosCabanas
03-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Is this the Magic eraser you guys are talking about? Usually something that is praised so much for how well it works is really chemical and hard on the dirt but the item being cleaned too!! Any insights??

Sodar
03-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Is this the Magic eraser you guys are talking about? Usually something that is praised so much for how well it works is really chemical and hard on the dirt but the item being cleaned too!! Any insights??

Thats the one!!!
http://www.mrclean.com/sites/en_US/mrclean/images/products/eraser/eraser_product.jpg

http://www.mrclean.com/sites/en_US/mrclean/ME_Truth/index.shtml <--- The Truth about the Magic Eraser....

CarlosCabanas
03-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks Cameron

I guess I could have done a little research!! But why when you guys are so good at it!! Anyway after reading that I'm not eating anymore magic erasers!!:D :D :D

Sodar
03-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks Cameron

I guess I could have done a little research!! Buy why when you guys are so good at it!! Anyway after reading that I'm not eating anymore magic erasers!!

LOL!!! Probably a good idea! :D ;):D

Doug G
03-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Can't find anything about any chemicals or additives in the base sponge only the foam composition. Anyone have any insight?

Wikipedia:
Formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer (or melamine foam) is a crystalline chemical compound. The foam, because of its microporous properties, may remove otherwise "uncleanable" external markings from relatively smooth surfaces.

BASF: http://corporate.basf.com/en/stories/wipo/fruehjahrsputz/story.htm?id=V00-h_6UxA8ixbcp.-P

"To understand the astonishing capabilities of the Magic Eraser, we have to take a closer look at the special properties of Basotect®. "On curing, melamine resin becomes almost as hard as glass", explains Dr. Christof Möck, responsible at BASF for the global business management of this special foam. "The hardness of this material is one of the secrets of its cleaning talent: like extremely fine sandpaper, the foam eraser rubs the particles of dirt from the surface." Basotect® still manages to remain soft and supple thanks to the fine structure of the foam created by foaming the resin. ... The large, almost freely accessible surface produced by this airy structure binds the abraded particles of dirt and contributes to the eraser's astounding grime-removing capabilities.

This effect can be achieved on a wide variety of surfaces such as tiles, ceramic stovetops, ceramics, doors, leather seats and automobile wheel rims - and all without adding detergent. A little water is all that is needed to moisten the Magic Eraser. Even the most ingrained dirt cannot resist the glass hard microstructure of melamine resin. Only surfaces liable to scratching and varnished surfaces should not be cleaned with the "magician".

PaulW
03-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Magic eraser and West Marine vinyl cleaner will clean anything on a boat. I even use them in the shower, talk about buffed.

Rich_G
03-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Just a word of caution. The closed-cell foam in Magic Eraser is a mild abrasive. It's absolutely great for vinyl, but be careful on hard surfaces. My wife had a stain on the kitchen countertops; dark laminate stuff. It looked like it was working with the damp sponge, but when it dried it had kind of sanded the surface. I would be really careful about trying it on the gelcoat.

River Rat
03-16-2007, 11:59 AM
This year I got the 3M vinyl cleaner from west marine and it worked great. The color in my seats never looked so good:D

jimmer2880
03-16-2007, 12:19 PM
I just used it on my interior... AFTER using some good vinyl cleaner. What a difference. The Magic Eraser made my old skins look new again (well - except for the spider cracks at the seams:o )

FlatBoard
03-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Just a word of caution. The closed-cell foam in Magic Eraser is a mild abrasive. It's absolutely great for vinyl, but be careful on hard surfaces. My wife had a stain on the kitchen countertops; dark laminate stuff. It looked like it was working with the damp sponge, but when it dried it had kind of sanded the surface. I would be really careful about trying it on the gelcoat.

It will scratch gel coat :mad: Be careful!!! Excellent on vynil, but I wouldn't use it on the black hard vynil such as dashboards and the like..

jimmer2880
03-16-2007, 12:34 PM
It will scratch gel coat :mad: Be careful!!! Excellent on vynil, but I wouldn't use it on the black hard vynil such as dashboards and the like..

Uh ohh.... I just did :( . Glad I didn't do it too much.

mig
03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Does the magician do anything for pink spots?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-16-2007, 01:28 PM
hey there Mr. threadstarter (I cant remember your name) I am very proud of the fact that this is an OFFICIAL thread!:D

Good job my friend!:toast:

You may now come sit at the cool kids lunch table with us. :cool:

Sodar
03-16-2007, 01:37 PM
You may now come sit at the cool kids lunch table with us. :cool:

Overrated..

TMCNo1
03-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Overrated..

That's OK, next time you can pay to get in the drive-in movie instead of riding in the trunk and stay out of my popcorn!:D

TMCNo1
03-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Just saw on the TV this am, that Magic Eraser now has a Magic Eraser Mop!

east tx skier
03-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Does the magician do anything for pink spots?

Worth a try, but It didn't do anything for my slightly yellowed heat stamped sections.

captain planet
03-16-2007, 02:03 PM
So, if I understand this correctly, I can use this on my seats? Will it get vinly glue off of my seats?

loeweb
03-16-2007, 02:05 PM
I cleaned the motor cover with one last year. Didn't think it was doing much so I went inside to get something else to clean it with. When I came back out I realized that where I had cleaned was a heck of a lot whiter, and very slick compared to the untouched areas. Needless to say, the rest of the interior got a magic erasing! Since then I have used it on everything but Stainless Steel (says not to). Clean my stove with it religiously, sink, pots and pans that aren't SS. This thing is amazing.

03-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Overrated..
YOur just jealous that we havent approved your application to sit with us. Hang in there sodar, your day will come. ;) Soon you will sit with the cool kids too. :cool:

Monte
03-16-2007, 02:39 PM
YOur just jealous that we havent approved your application to sit with us. Hang in there sodar, your day will come. ;) Soon you will sit with the cool kids too. :cool:

In his defense...... Sodar hangs with the hot chicks:rolleyes: THAT in my opinion is better than the cool table......

03-16-2007, 02:41 PM
That's OK, next time you can pay to get in the drive-in movie instead of riding in the trunk and stay out of my popcorn!:D
Yea, well no more of that sneaking stuff. :rolleyes: Last time we tried that, We saved $14 sneaking those 4 guys in the trunk into the drive in. and we PAID $120 for all their chiropractic visits after they were cramped up in the trunk during the speacial feature of Star Wars Episodes 1 through 6 because YOU forgot the trunk key at home on your wife's key ring. :rolleyes:

03-16-2007, 02:43 PM
In his defense...... Sodar hangs with the hot chicks:rolleyes: THAT in my opinion is better than the cool table......
It may be better, but not cooler. The lunch table is about cool. we are talking about cool here arent we? Cool and better are to different things, you need to know the difference.

Monte
03-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Ok........... cooler....................:rolleyes:

03-16-2007, 03:07 PM
:uglyhamme HA! its all good Monte my brutha!:D

03-16-2007, 03:07 PM

Monte
03-16-2007, 03:22 PM

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

TX.X-30 fan
03-16-2007, 03:36 PM

Would that be a double post thread jack/ Or just a regular thread jack with an, oops sorry for the double post. :confused: :D

JR34
04-28-2007, 04:50 PM
so you guys using this product to spot celan or on all of your vinyl? I just used it on an area that is hidden and it seems to work great. Although the seats are looking awefully white.....does this thing whiten up or just clean? I thought my seats were cream but maybe they are white:)

Trying to figure out if is safe or not....what have you guys found who use it all over? Does it change the color?

Thanks

JR34
04-29-2007, 03:57 PM
anyone have anything more to share on these things before I go crazy with the magic eraser on all my vinyl.....no bad results by anyone?

deansnyder
05-09-2007, 04:14 PM
I just have to post that I am truly amazed at how well this product works. I have used just about everything on my vinyl including most of the officially marketed products for marine vinyl. Nothing worked as well as the Magic Eraser. I had pretty given up on some extremely mildewed vinyl. It appeared that it had just set into the vinyl. It is taking quite a bit of elbow grease on it, but the Magic Eraser is getting the mildew off. My only warning to JR34 is that I have noticed a bit of wear in my seam stitching areas from my significant pressure. It hasn't affected the vinyl itself, but everyone needs to be careful on the pressure they use on the stitching.

Mark B
05-09-2007, 04:56 PM
I think you might be killing your mildew and uv resistance of the vinyl. In the old days, the uv protectant and mildew resistant properties only existed on the surface of the vinyl as the chemicals were pretty pricey. By being on the surface, they would pass the tests for marine grade sunlight resistance and mildew resistance. I don't know if it is the same way today, but I would make sure those properies are blended in with all the vinyl and not just on the surface before I sanded it off with a magic eraser. Here is info from M/C's faq:

Certain household cleaners, powdered abrasives, steel wool, and industrial cleaners can cause damage and discoloration. These are not recommended for use. Dry cleaning fluids and lacquer solvents should not be used as they will remove the printed pattern and gloss.

Waxes are not recommended because many contain dyes and solvents that can permanently damage the protective coating. In some instances, consumers have reported the appearance of a pink stain on vinyl that is resistant to various cleaning methods.

Our lab tests indicate that the pink stain has been present in the past, but it becomes more visible to the naked eye whenever the whitest-white vinyls are used. This is true regardless of manufacturer or vendor. MasterCraft has chosen a white that reduces the appearance of the pink stain but retains as much of the lightest white we can use. Although there can be other causes for pink staining in vinyls, most pink stains are caused by dyes produced by micro-organisms. These dyes are metabolic products of the micro-organisms, otherwise known as a form of fungi. It is virtually impossible for consumers to avoid these micro-organisms as they exist in the atmosphere. It is also more prevalent in high-humidity areas. Rain can cleanse the air with the result that the micro-organisms are deposited on items such as marine vinyl. While the vinyl is treated to resist the growth of micro-organisms meaning the vinyl is not a food source), the
stain results from failure to properly clean and maintain the vinyl. This means that after use, the upholstery must be cleaned with a soft brush and warm soapy water, followed by a thorough rinse with clean water. If this procedure is not followed, the micro-organisms can find the marine vinyl to be a suitable host site. This situation is worsened if the boat is stored without proper ventilation or if the boat cover is put on while the vinyl is still wet, creating a situation in which all forms of fungi (mold and mildew) thrive. The organism causing the pink stain has been identified by the Burlington Scientific Corporation as Streptoverticillium reticulum, although there are other strains of organisms that can cause stains.

Failure to follow these instructions in the proper care of upholstery can cause your warranty to be voided!

The cleaning table presented in this frequently asked question section is offered only as a suggestion and as an aid in attempting to deal with stains. We cannot guarantee that the cleaning methods will work. Stains from any external source are unlikely to be covered by warranty.

djkslc
06-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I am new to this site, and have found some good information. I have a 91 maristar that has good interior but it was still a little "grey" from years on the lake. I have cleaned it with vinyl cleaner and a toothbrush many times and I thought it was as clean as I could get it. I went and bought a magic eraser after reading this thread. After several hours of scrubbing the entire interior looks great. What is does is takes out the dirt in the small little cracks. I have attached a picture of a section that half has had the magic eraser on it, and the other half has not. Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kummer
06-20-2007, 11:29 PM
looks like my day last weekend. Got out the babesseat soap and magic erasers. the results were so amazing I could not help but clean the whole interior.

PaulW
06-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Kummer,
I have found the babesseat soap to dry out the seats, have you noticed that? I don't use it any more because of that.
Got to love the erasers though, even used them on the dog

betsy&david Harrison
06-21-2007, 11:10 AM
I have never read this thread until today. I am going out to buy this stuff "Magic Eraser" today. I am going to clean the skins of my boat while the kids are at Ski School. Now, how about some advice...should I bring a bucket of water with me into the boat for the rinsing? Do I wet the surface first and then use the ME? Explain...I am not a blonde, I am not a blonde, I am not a blonde.....

Sodar
06-21-2007, 12:11 PM
I have never read this thread until today. I am going out to buy this stuff "Magic Eraser" today. I am going to clean the skins of my boat while the kids are at Ski School. Now, how about some advice...should I bring a bucket of water with me into the boat for the rinsing? Do I wet the surface first and then use the ME? Explain...I am not a blonde, I am not a blonde, I am not a blonde.....

Get 2 buckets of water... one to rinse the eraser and one to have a clean wash cloth in, to rinse the skins, then dry them off. After you get the skins all cleaned up, spray some 303 on them to restore some moisture and bring back a little shine.... should turn out awesome!

etakk7
06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
has anybody tried the Wal-Mart "Great Value" brand knockoff magic erasers?

Sodar
06-21-2007, 02:35 PM
has anybody tried the Wal-Mart "Great Value" brand knockoff magic erasers?

They do not last nearly as long as the "real" ones. I know my local grocery store has a knock off too and the foan just does not last!

sand2snow22
06-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Hit the vinyl with magic erasers yesterday, then 303 to finish. Looks good. I wanted to point out that I was trying to get this stain off one of the seats and scrubbed a lot to get it off, when I was done the seat was in the sun and I noticed the vinyl was a little dull around the spot where I scrubbed really well. Shows me how well the magic erasers work. Finished with 303 and everything is shiny and protected again :D