PDA

View Full Version : Video Camera Housing

Doug G
03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
So my son wants to shoot video on the water this summer and wants a camera housing. He found some online found the price and then found a set of instructions on wakeboarder.com to make one at home out of pvc and assorted stuff. The $50 of supplies makes that an attractive option.

This is what he found that we are going to give a shot to this weekend:
http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?id=295

Anyone have any experience with this or done it? Of course we are going to test the crud out of it before the camera gets in it.

D

Sodar
03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I have never made a housing, but I did purchase this housing for my new camera and it works AWESOME!! I have a friend that travels internationally filming surf video's and all of his housings are custom made... he has both pistol grip and side handles... all of his casings are homemade by a local guy.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the link.....that looks like it could work pretty well. I may have to put one together. Let us know how your project goes.

Doug G
03-21-2007, 11:33 PM
So far so good. They have assembled the ends and tested the seals there successfully. I expect they will try final assembly this weekend.

Farmer Ted
03-22-2007, 07:31 AM
check out Ikelite, I have a housing for my Sony that's rated to 75 meters, it wouldn't use it on a tube as it weighs about 20 pounds

if he's just looking for something that will be waterproof they might have a simple housing that will meet your needs

or you could email Bill Doster and ask him for advice....

WTRSK1R
04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
I have tried doing this before for Scuba diving, and never had any success. I must admidt that I did it in a very different manner then the Wakeside article (did not use PVC), and I tried to take them underwater. Every attempt I made started to leak between 10 and 15 feet. I now have an expensive Ikelite housing that I have had down to nearly 100 feet and never had any issues with. I imagine that using one on the surface is probably much less of an issue since there is no water pressure.

Good Luck.

MasterCrafting
04-04-2007, 11:27 PM
I made one a few years ago, posted pics and instuctions. It might have been on the old board though.

puck_11
04-05-2007, 08:52 AM
That's a pretty ghetto push button contraption, a soap dispenser?!?!? :rolleyes:

With all of that ingenuity you think he'd be able to come up with something better. Nice, cheap design otherwise.

Ever seen those mounts on the top of towers? Those are pretty cool, they attach a swing arm to the rope and it follows the rope, following the rider. I don't have any experience with towers yet, but from the setups I have seen the cameras are in the open with no housings. Any chance of it getting wet way up there? This is assuming you have a tower

etakk7
04-05-2007, 09:28 AM
anybody done a DIY project placing the camera up on the tower?

mpm32
04-05-2007, 03:25 PM
I made one, pics here;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/mpm32/Boat/118_1857.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/mpm32/Boat/118_1867.jpg

mine is pylon mounted.

Doug G
04-06-2007, 01:31 PM
I have seen those and that is on the possible project list. They are planning on doing some video from the tube on a short rope while the rider is on a normal rope , hence the housing.

Yeah the soap dispenser is pretty ghetto, that will likely get changed. Since Chris broke his collar bone the project has been tabled, hopefully he get's back to work on it next week. The ends are done and appear water tight. Just need to add the tray, push button mechanism and final assemble.

JohnnyB
04-06-2007, 09:03 PM
I made one, pics here;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/mpm32/Boat/118_1857.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/mpm32/Boat/118_1867.jpg

mine is pylon mounted.

Very cool. Off the shelf parts or custom metal bending and painting?

tex
04-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Here's a good camera mount. I think it handles all types of cameras!

mpm32
04-09-2007, 01:57 PM
I drew it up using the software provided by emachineshop. The software is like a cad system that let's you see the parts in 3-d. It also prints out true to scale. So I printed out the patterns and bent it up. I just needed to tap some holes for the u-bolt to bottom bracket connections and tapped a hole in the nut for the swivel. It would loosen after a while due to the swivel action.

I wrote up the instructions to make one for another person that was interested in making one on another board. If you want me to send them to you let me know.

91skibrendella
04-14-2007, 06:06 PM
mpm32,

Would you email your camera mount plans to me? pjchristopher@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Pete

mpm32
04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Plans sent.

milkmania
04-23-2007, 09:12 PM
I drew it up using the software provided by emachineshop. The software is like a cad system that let's you see the parts in 3-d. It also prints out true to scale. So I printed out the patterns and bent it up. I just needed to tap some holes for the u-bolt to bottom bracket connections and tapped a hole in the nut for the swivel. It would loosen after a while due to the swivel action.

I wrote up the instructions to make one for another person that was interested in making one on another board. If you want me to send them to you let me know.

may I request a copy?
bhammon@alltel.net