PDA

View Full Version : What type of grease do I use to grease my rudder housing ?

boatless
03-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Could some one let me know what type of grease do I use to grease my rudder housing ? How about some pictures of where I should grease my rudder. I have a 2005 197 prostar.

Thank you so much for the info.

boatless.

east tx skier
03-15-2007, 04:13 PM
I use white lithium marine grease (you can get it at WalMart). I don' know if the zerts are in the exact same place on your boat, but since I'm not sure if anyone else has a picture handy, this is where they were at least through the 90s.

boatless
03-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi East tx skier,

How do I know how much to put in there ?

Thanks,

boatless.

sanjuan23
03-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Till it wont take no more! Just kidding just a couple of shots till it starts to fill looser

boatless
03-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks !! Sanjuan23.

boatless

bigmac
03-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Could some one let me know what type of grease do I use to grease my rudder housing ? How about some pictures of where I should grease my rudder. I have a 2005 197 prostar.

Thank you so much for the info.

boatless.White lithium, marine grease, wheel bearing grease. Any should be fine for that application. Pump it in there until it comes out somewhere.

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 04:51 PM
White lithium, marine grease, wheel bearing grease. Any should be fine for that application. Pump it in there until it comes out somewhere.
How about KY Jelly???????????????:rolleyes: :cool: :D

boatless
03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Cool !!! This weekend, I have some thing to do..

boatless.

east tx skier
03-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Turn the wheel all the way to one side and give it two full shots. Then turn it all the way to the other side (back and forth a few times). Have a rag handy as it will squirt out a bit.

H20skeefreek
03-15-2007, 07:46 PM
I use margarine, it works better than butter, it doesn't taste as good though.

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 07:51 PM
I use margarine, it works better than butter, it doesn't taste as good though.

Have you seen the new Country Crotch "I can't believe it's no rudder grease"!

bigmac
03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
How about KY Jelly???????????????:rolleyes: :cool: :D

Can you get that for use in grease guns? And if so....

....never mind...on second thought I don't think I wanna know...

stumbledog
03-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Turn the wheel all the way to one side and give it two full shots. Then turn it all the way to the other side (back and forth a few times). Have a rag handy as it will squirt out a bit.

A big yes on the rag. When I shot grease into the fittings and turned the wheel, grease shot back out of one of the fittings.

stumbledog
03-15-2007, 08:38 PM
click happy....sorry.

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=east tx skier]Turn the wheel all the way to one side and give it two full shots. Then turn it all the way to the other side (back and forth a few times). Have a rag handy as it will squirt out a bit.

A big yes on the rag. When I shot grease into the fittings and turned the wheel, grease shot back out of one of the fittings.

The aluminum tube with the fitting on it does not have a ball in it that acts as a check valve like most zerk fittings and it will spew grease out, because if it was full of grease, it would lock up the steering cable. Someone I knew, replaced the zerk fitting, thinking it was bad, filled up the tube, put everything back together, went to the lake and the steering wheel would not turn and had to go back home and wait for a new tube from the dealer, because he couldn't find the old fitting he threw away. All he had to do was remove the fitting and the excess grease would have squirted out and allowed the steering to work, then he could have put in a new open zerk fitting. 2 pumps of grease is all that is needed.