PDA

View Full Version : My new Stick

jimmer2880
03-15-2007, 03:23 PM
My new stick finally came in this week. I had to mount the boots & take some pic's to share :D

It's a new Goode 9800 with Wiley's boots. I can't say enough about Wiley's. I have a very hard foot to fit, so I called them up & spoke to them. After spending about 15 minutes on the phone answering 20 questions about my foot type, skiing style & what I was looking for, they shipped me a pair. Even though they said they'll swap out anything they need to, to make them fit right, they fit PERFECT the very first time. That has never happened to me. I've always had to at least adjust them a little. Anyway - so far, I'm very very pleased with the purchases. Now if it would quit snowing here so I can water test everything :D

east tx skier
03-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Nice ski! And nice work bench. ;)

Jesus_Freak
03-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Excellent! It goes great with your workbench there.

Jesus_Freak
03-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Nice ski! And nice work bench. ;)

Man! You beat me to it by 4 seconds.

Jkelly
03-15-2007, 03:29 PM
My wife says it is all just toys ours just cost more.

pq2
03-15-2007, 03:29 PM
nice ski, good luck

beef
03-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Nice setup! I concur with the Wiley's comments.

If you had the ski yesterday, that was the day to get out... Looks like rain/snow/freezing rain on the weekend. :(

Brent
03-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Congrats on the new stick. I'm thinking of Demoing 1 next month in florida.:D

Don't forget to cut the extra rubber tabs off, they look like they would effect your turns a little.

jimmer2880
03-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks everyone. Yea - I wish it would have come last week. Now, they're calling for 3-7" of snow tonight :eek:

Glad everyone also likes my daughters' work bench. I have to keep them "well rounded". Even if that means they are using it to dress their dollies :rolleyes:

shepherd
03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
How do you find time to ski with all those other toys to play with??? :confused:

That's a sweet looking ski jimmer. Let us know how she rides when you get a chance.

Leroy
03-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Nice ski and great turn you are making in that shot!

mitch
03-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Jimmer, looks nice!

Slinkyredfoot
03-15-2007, 10:53 PM
My new stick finally came in this week. I had to mount the boots & take some pic's to share :D

It's a new Goode 9800 with Wiley's boots. I can't say enough about Wiley's. I have a very hard foot to fit, so I called them up & spoke to them. After spending about 15 minutes on the phone answering 20 questions about my foot type, skiing style & what I was looking for, they shipped me a pair. Even though they said they'll swap out anything they need to, to make them fit right, they fit PERFECT the very first time. That has never happened to me. I've always had to at least adjust them a little. Anyway - so far, I'm very very pleased with the purchases. Now if it would quit snowing here so I can water test everything :D

Nice ski, Apparently you have skied on a Goode , is it worth it?? I am also happy that your parents put the protective covers over the AC outlets for your protection. :D

Hoosier Bob
03-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Nice setup! Wiley's? Anyway, very cool and I hope it ski's "WELL.";)

JohnE
03-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Nice ski. I had a great experience buying from Wiley's last year when I needed a ski, too. (I was trying to buy from someone here, but I didn't realize he was on his honeymoon.;) )

jimmer2880
03-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Nice ski, Apparently you have skied on a Goode , is it worth it?? I am also happy that your parents put the protective covers over the AC outlets for your protection. :D

I took a couple sets several years ago on an 8000 Goode. Beat my PB that day on the ski. Then, 7 years ago when I bought my '95 190, the dealership owner sold me his old 9200 for $300.00. My first set on that ski, I beat my PB by 2 balls. Skied that until this fall when I finally sold it to upgrade to the newer model.

I want a high-performance, very forgiving ski. For me, it's a Goode. Others will argue that they aren't worth the price. But, when I average the $1100 out over the at least 10 years that I'll own it, I think it's a heck of a deal. If it's not, please don't tell me;)

jimmer2880
03-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Nice setup! Wiley's? Anyway, very cool and I hope it ski's "WELL.";)

Was that Wiley's as in - who are they, or Wiley's as in - I'll never own a set? :confused:

This is my first set of Wiley's & I have to say so far that they are awesome. I didn't want something with ratchet straps, etc. My last boots were very stiff & locked down very hard. The problem is, that evertime I came out of the ski over the front, I would sprain my front ankle.:mad: so - back to soft rubber for me.

jimmer2880
03-16-2007, 12:08 PM
How do you find time to ski with all those other toys to play with??? :confused:

That's a sweet looking ski jimmer. Let us know how she rides when you get a chance.

Thanks - and I will. Just as soon as this 8" of snow melts that we are supposed to be getting today :(

east tx skier
03-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Nice setup! Wiley's?

Looks to be Wiley's. Although, I recall someone at Wiley's telling me that they make the Goode rubber boots as well.

jimmer2880
03-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Looks to be Wiley's. Although, I recall someone at Wiley's telling me that they make the Goode rubber boots as well.

When I was on the phone with them (Wiley's), the guy said he made several boots for Goode. I took that to mean, that they make Goode's rubber boots.

Either way, I'm glad I bought my boots directly from Wileys. I was able to get the plate I wanted (rear pivot), with the exact boot fit I wanted.

east tx skier
03-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Which Wiley's did you go with?

André
03-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Nice stick jimmer!!!:)
You're using the 3M velcros for the boots plate?

jimmer2880
03-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Which Wiley's did you go with?

I don't remember. But - it's the softer of their 2 rubber boots. They are awesome. Hopefully - I'll try them out next weekend (need to slip away during my daughter's birthday party :)

jimmer2880
03-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Nice stick jimmer!!!:)
You're using the 3M velcros for the boots plate?

Nope - good ole stainless sheet-metal screws. 6 per boot. I'm not fond of the velcro idea. Can't be good in the long run.

André
03-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Nope - good ole stainless sheet-metal screws. 6 per boot. I'm not fond of the velcro idea. Can't be good in the long run.
Won't you void the warranty if you drill the ski?:confused:

rlwiley
03-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Nice set up.
I have to know one thing.....Why have you let go of the handle with your right hand during a right turn. Just wondering.

jimmer2880
03-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Nice set up.
I have to know one thing.....Why have you let go of the handle with your right hand during a right turn. Just wondering.

Simple... to show off your slide :)

I really do need to replace that poster. But slalom posters are hard to come by:(

jimmer2880
03-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Won't you void the warranty if you drill the ski?:confused:

Goode sends 12 screws to use - even if you don't order boots from them. They advertise the ability to have 24 screws. So, each ski can be mounted with a different hole pattern later.

André
03-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Goode sends 12 screws to use - even if you don't order boots from them. They advertise the ability to have 24 screws. So, each ski can be mounted with a different hole pattern later.
Thanks.
Pretty sure i read somewhere that putting inserts will void warranty.
Screws must be ok...:)

Cottonwood
03-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Drilling a Goode only determines the demo / return fee. $100 for drilled skis. As for the Wiley's, do yourself a favor and cut off the excess overlays to align with the top of the ski. You don't want them dragging in the water. They would create unwanted lift. Have fun - that's a great ski.

east tx skier
03-30-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't remember. But - it's the softer of their 2 rubber boots. They are awesome. Hopefully - I'll try them out next weekend (need to slip away during my daughter's birthday party :)

When I ordered mine, they rattled off about 4--5 different options for the front boot (although I think 2 were jump overlays, and 1 was their trick wrap). I went with the "pro build", which was a little softer than the trick (a jump boot I believe). I've been very happy with them having come off HO's approach boots.

mig
04-03-2007, 05:24 PM
East Texas, tell me about your experience with the approach boots. I am trying to use them (double Approach boots) after two years in LFF Animal w/ toe plate. It is not pretty so far and I am wondering if the Approach boots are a step in the right direction.

Jesus_Freak
04-03-2007, 10:48 PM
East Texas, tell me about your experience with the approach boots. I am trying to use them (double Approach boots) after two years in LFF Animal w/ toe plate. It is not pretty so far and I am wondering if the Approach boots are a step in the right direction.

I have double Approaches, but have not used them yet. PQ2 is one member who uses them regularly.

pq2
04-23-2007, 09:32 PM
mig, i had to move my boots diferent as they came from factory. at the beginning I was not happy with them but now i love them. I still want to try some ho animals but no budget for them now.

jimmer2880
04-24-2007, 07:23 AM
I finally got her wet this weekend. Very short run though, many many sticks :eek: from the recent noreaster which almost put the river over the banks earlier in the week.

I absolutely love the ski. Lightning fast. Very stable. Very forgiving. I need to work more on slowing it down for the turn though.

Boots are better than I imagined. Very soft & comfortable, yet my feet didn't budge.

Jesus_Freak
04-24-2007, 01:21 PM
I absolutely love the ski. Lightning fast. Very stable. Very forgiving. I need to work more on slowing it down for the turn though.

Cool.

I finally got to try my monza yesterday. I wish I could say that it was stable and forgiving. It does NOT like me yet. I will be running the course for sure by the year 2042. :rolleyes:

shepherd
04-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Cool.

I finally got to try my monza yesterday. I wish I could say that it was stable and forgiving. It does NOT like me yet. I will be running the course for sure by the year 2042. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, "stable and forgiving" are not words I'd use to describe my Monza either. I'm not sure if that ski will EVER like anyone. I have to say I'm getting PB's on it, but every now and then it likes to dump me on my face to remind me who's boss. :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
04-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Cool.

It's all in the fin setup brutha..... get that fin tuned and she'll ride like a dream. ;)

Jesus_Freak
04-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Oh yes, "stable and forgiving" are not words I'd use to describe my Monza either. I'm not sure if that ski will EVER like anyone. I have to say I'm getting PB's on it, but every now and then it likes to dump me on my face to remind me who's boss. :rolleyes:

Yes sir. I typically get dumped on my offside pull, as I am hitting the wake too flat.

It's all in the fin setup brutha..... get that fin tuned and she'll ride like a dream. ;)

That is what I hear (and read), but I have so many body position problems I am not sure I can fix that with fin. I am starting with Rossi settings.

Where do you two suggest starting?

shepherd
04-25-2007, 01:44 PM
No matter where you start, it will probably change. I started with settings that MYMC gave me when he sold the ski to me. Good starting point, but I'm nowhere near that now.

And yes, I agree, it is all in the fin setup. For example, I was consistently falling over on my on-side turns. Added a little depth to the fin - just a half turn of the set screw (that Ric didn't sell me) - problem is gone. Hitting some PB's now. Now if I can just tune out the ski's tendency to throw me over the front on my offside pull, I'd be good.

Jesus_Freak
04-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Now if I can just tune out the ski's tendency to throw me over the front on my offside pull, I'd be good.

That is my problem as well. If you figure it out, let me know. :)

shepherd
04-26-2007, 10:24 AM
That is my problem as well. If you figure it out, let me know. :)

Well, my "Ski Tuning Hints" says this:
Reduce tip if you are bucked forward at the second wake.

I'm going to try that.