PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

vwski
03-15-2007, 10:20 AM
All,

I have a bit of a dilema. I recently traded in my 02 197 for an 06 X-7 dealer demo. The boat has 25 hours on it.

Here's the problem.....

I took delivery on Dec 1st and put it into storage as it was the holiday season and had no time to detail and check everything out on it. Well a few weeks back I finally got to start detailing the boat. On the stern of the boat I found obvious spots where the hull had been re-gelled. You can see tape marks and pits where the filler wasn't sanded well enough.

The dealer says they don't know what happened to the boat. I also remember the sales guy saying that they replaced the strut....hmmmm

The dealer has offered to reverse the deal, fix the gel, or allow me to take it to my glass guy to fix.

I got a great deal on a boat that I really wanted. The problem I'm having is I don't know what happened to the boat so the honeymoon is over. I will always wonder what happened and worry that this will bite me in my a$$ in a few years when I can't do anything about it but lay out the funds to have it regelled.

I also hate the fact that I layed out 50K on something that has been fixed.

G-man
03-15-2007, 10:27 AM
I would reverse the deal but that is my personality. If you could trust what the dealer tells you find out why the boat was repaired. If the hit it took wasn't to drastic keep the boat. It could be just a bad repair that needs to be fixed correctly.

Monte
03-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Sounds like to me the dealer is doing everything in his power to make you happy. It is a good thing that you have so many options.. Way to go dealer. That being said. I think it is going to boil down to personnal preference. Can you post some pics? that may help with the advice...

sanjuan23
03-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Doesn't sound like your getting any issues out of your dealer. And as above already posted it would be personal preference.

vwski
03-15-2007, 10:33 AM
I will say this dealer is and has been fantastic!! I'm not going to name it yet, but there will be a time that I will put in a shameless plug for them.

The pics I have don't really show the problem. Whoever fixed the boat taped around the exhaust ports and platform brackets so you can tell there's been work.

I really just want to know what happened....

Gozar
03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Hello!

OK, sounds like the dealer is willing to work with you.

edit : 50k for a slightly used X2 sounds like a pretty darn good deal. --ooopppss it is an X7

Is 50k a good deal for a used X7?

1) I would ask the glass to be fixed to your satisfaction
2) Ask for the running gear to be completely checked and verified
3) Make sure you get the remainder of the factory warranty
4) Ask for a discounted extended warranty

That would be my approach. Good luck!

causewayskiier
03-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Is $50K a good deal on a used X-7? Does that include the trade in? A number of things could have happened. If they repaired the strut, I'm guessing someone hit a submerged object or ran it agound, which isn't good but is something that can be repaired to be good as new. I guess it depends on how sweet of a deal that you got.

roddydog
03-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I agree with the previous guys. Do what you need to do to make yourself feel comfortable with the deal.

I would take it to your glass guy and have him look at it and/or take it to another dealer or boat shop for a close look and a second opinion.
If there is no structural damage then fix it or get them to fix it to your liking.

That's the least they can do for 50K!!!!!

vwski
03-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey any of you dealers know if MC tracks events to this hull before shipping?

If I give you the HIN would MC be able to tell me if they repaired the hull?

The dealership is supposed to be checking this out for me, I just want to verify.

Thanks VW

trickskier
03-15-2007, 11:05 AM
The boat should still be under warranty as far as mechanical repairs. If the gelcoat is only cosmetic repairs it should not have anything to do with the functionality of the boat.

Sounds like the dealer is willing to work with you. If you are comfortable that the boat is mechanically sound and he is willing to fix the other issues you have, sounds to me like you made a good deal.

captain planet
03-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm not trying to throw a dark cloud over this, but here are my thoughts. There is a tremendous amount of force and torque that takes place at the strut and rudder. If the boat hit something and there is structural damage you can't see, it may rear it's ugly head somewhere down the road. I would reverse the deal, but that is my personal opinion. Do whatever makes you comfortable.

rodltg2
03-15-2007, 01:42 PM
i disagree with trickskier. the gelcoat repairs maybe cosmetic but if the repairs included fiberglass hull repairs as well , if done incorrectly it could very well affect the performance of the boat. especially in the stern. i would reverse the deal.

Ric
03-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Is $50K a good deal on a used X-7? Does that include the trade in? A number of things could have happened. If they repaired the strut, I'm guessing someone hit a submerged object or ran it agound, which isn't good but is something that can be repaired to be good as new. I guess it depends on how sweet of a deal that you got. That's a tough question..... I know it was awhile ago but my 05197 with tower etc ran me 27k driveout price (no X graphics of course)

erkoehler
03-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey any of you dealers know if MC tracks events to this hull before shipping?

If I give you the HIN would MC be able to tell me if they repaired the hull?

The dealership is supposed to be checking this out for me, I just want to verify.

Thanks VW

Sounds like your dealer already has a good handle on things....do what's best for you.

trickskier
03-15-2007, 02:09 PM
i disagree with trickskier. the gelcoat repairs maybe cosmetic but if the repairs included fiberglass hull repairs as well , if done incorrectly it could very well affect the performance of the boat. especially in the stern. i would reverse the deal.
You need to read my post again rod.......My KEY WORD was "IF"

rodltg2
03-15-2007, 02:10 PM
my bad..,,,,

Ric
03-15-2007, 02:16 PM
I would reverse the deal but that is my personality. If you could trust what the dealer tells you find out why the boat was repaired. If the hit it took wasn't to drastic keep the boat. It could be just a bad repair that needs to be fixed correctly. I believe I agree with the G here

Sodar
03-15-2007, 02:19 PM
I would reverse the deal but that is my personality. If you could trust what the dealer tells you find out why the boat was repaired. If the hit it took wasn't to drastic keep the boat. It could be just a bad repair that needs to be fixed correctly.

Exactly! If the hit was not a huge deal, than I would say walk with your deal and get it fixed my a pro.

Doug G
03-15-2007, 05:58 PM
I think you are on the right track. I would want to know how it got damaged. That will shed alot of light on what a wise choice would be. If you can't get that information I agree with the independent evaluation of the entire bote. It sounds like the dealer has been stand up so far. Only you will know if you feel comfortable with the boat and the dealer to be there for you as time goes by.

Where in the northeast are you?

CarlosCabanas
03-15-2007, 07:23 PM
With a name like VWski I'd just send the boat back and start skiing behind herby!!:D :D :D

CarlosCabanas
03-15-2007, 07:24 PM
8p Better yet send me the boat!! I'll put up with the blemishes for you!!

vwski
03-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Hey herbie floats you know!

I will repeat this once again the dealer has been great, giving any of the options you could think of!!! Very customer oriented. They give me no reason not to believe them.

I'm going to take the rear carpet out and look under the gas tank for any signs of repair. At this point I believe them and will probably take it to them before the season gets underway to have it fixed.

Thanks for everyone's input! I love this place!

PendO
03-16-2007, 01:50 AM
unless you were upside down in your 02' ... 50K straigt up for an 06 x7/197 would be too high of a price for me ... and if there is glass damage that is still visible, I would reverse the deal and let them find you a new 197 or another used 06 x7/197

JohnE
03-16-2007, 09:23 AM
50K for a basically new X7 is a good deal, if it were perfect, IMO. But with the damage, I would reverse the deal. And since the dealer is so great, work with them for a different boat.

Doug G
03-16-2007, 10:33 AM
So where are the pictures anyway ???????