PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Tongue Height

thomas.w.williams
03-14-2007, 07:34 PM
I am going to pick up a '82 S&S this weekend and had a question about the hitch height. I asked the seller to measure the tongue height of the trailer but the boat is at his sisters. He did tell me that he pulls the boat with a 4runner and used a 2" drop ball inverted. According to my math the trailer needs a height of 14 3/4". This means that I need a 6" drop ball for my Titan. Does that sound right to anyone cause it seems really low to me. Thanks for your help!!

Winston

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 07:38 PM
For some reason, I remember hearing 18 inches come to mind....

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 08:34 PM
For some reason, I remember hearing 18 inches come to mind....

Correct Eric,
18" to 19" is and has been the nominal ball height prior to attaching the trailer tongue to the vehicle for as long as I can remember in MasterCraft's literature.

sanjuan23
03-14-2007, 08:42 PM
In regards to the Titan I have a 6" Drop on mine (Titan) and I really wish I had gone with the 5" or somewhere in between, now the spare rubs ever so slightly pulling in and out of the drive way. Although that is about to be taken care of.... Putting a 2" lift on the Trailer. :)

ski_king
03-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Of course Eric and TMCNo1 are correct at 18 in.. Here is a page out of my 82 owners manual that proves it.

82's did not come with the prop guard. Unless your had it added you need to be carefull not to drag the prop or rutter when going over inlines.
I think mine is closer to 16 or 17 in. and I havn't drug mine yet and it rides level.

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Our drawbar, turned like this is 18 1/4" off the floor and the trailer slightly runs downhill and the rubrail of the boat is parallel to the ground when checked with a level. We very seldom scrape the propguard unless it is a severe incline and most time that can be cured by approaching them at an angle.

SkiDog
03-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Our drawbar, turned like this is 18 1/4" off the floor and the trailer slightly runs downhill and the rubrail of the boat is parallel to the ground when checked with a level. We very seldom scrape the propguard unless it is a severe incline and most time that can be cured by approaching them at an angle.

In ALL my days, I have NEVER seen a prettier trailer hitch than that one! S.O.B.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

ski_king
03-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Wow, you got both your ball and nut protected!

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Wow, you got both your ball and nut protected!

It's all in the DETAILS!

Nothing more than a 1 1/2" PVC pipe cap with a hole drilled in the end to let water out, sanded and coated with red Plasticote, then rubber hammered on the nut after the edges were lightly ground so it would fit on the nut.

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 10:18 PM
In ALL my days, I have NEVER seen a prettier trailer hitch than that one! S.O.B.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

You are crazy, thanks, especially coming from you!