PDA

View Full Version : Sled trailers?

jkski
03-14-2007, 04:28 PM
I started this in another topic but did not want to continue to jack it.
I need your thoughts/opinions on drive-on/off vs.tilt 2 place trailers?
I'm looking at both and wanted to see what you guys thought. The drive-on/off is an R&R and the tilt is a Triton, and both are enclosed.

Fire away, I am all ears???

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Drive on/off without a doubt. Especially if you are going enclosed.

Make sure it is atleast 101 wide and 10ft. long. 12ft is the ideal these days since the sled are longer. In a 12ft trailer you can also fit gear, tools, oil, etc that doesn't need to be in the truck.

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Go all out, I have this one coming in on trade :)

jkski
03-14-2007, 04:36 PM
I like it and it matches the truck.......now if I could just get my wife to agree to it, but then again, it looks big enough that I could probably sleep in as that is where I would end up!

jkski
03-14-2007, 04:38 PM
I like it and it matches the truck.......now if I could just get my wife to agree to it, but then again, it looks big enough that I could probably sleep in as that is where I would end up!

A bit off topic, and no offense meant....but is there anything you don't sell!!!

ProTour X9
03-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Drive on definately, I'd like to get a few pics of mine....

jkski
03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Why the drive-on/off over the tilt? I would think that with the reverse on many of the sleds, the tilt would be just fine.
The one I am considering is an R&R, any thoughts?

Datdude
03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
I have a friend that has a Triton 10' tilt trailer with a Triton cover and it is a very nice trailer. His only problem is that he has Ski Doo Rev Renegade which has a 136" track It is a very tight fit in a 10' trailer, but it does work. Loading and unloading is not a big deal, but in my opinion a drive on/drive off trailer seems easier. The other advantage depending on the trailer is ceiling height. My friend with the Triton has to pull the sleds out to work on them, fill oil, etc, whereas a box trailer may allow you to do any work out of the elements. I guess it really depends on the exact trailer. I have a Floe 4 place open trailer that I really like. The only issue is using a seperate ramp to load/unload the trailer. It is kind of a pain to haul the heavy ramp to the front of the trailer to unload. A trailer where the back door and front door are the ramps seems much easier to me.

Datdude
03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey ERK....it's too bad that trailer has a steel frame and a flat front or I may be interested. How old is it? How much coin do you want for it?

bigmac
03-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Choices are open, covered, and enclosed. Open has the virtue of being cheaper, but the sleds can get messy on a long haul in warmer temps. OTOH, a weatherproof snowmobile cover that includes protection for the skis is pretty cheap by comparison, and you can augment that with a salt shield on the front - that combination in particular is effective at keeping the sleds clean and if you're reluctant to spend a lot of money on a trailer, that's definitely the way to go. An enclosed drive on/drive-off trailer is top-of-the-line when it comes to hauling sleds, but it's definitely at the low end of the bang-for-buck scale. Adding a cap or topper to a standard trailer might be a reasonable compromise, but again, best bang-for-the-buck is an open trailer with weatherproof covers for the sleds.

As for drive-on/drive-off vs tilt...the tilt beds are definitely cumbersome and the cost difference between those and a 12-foot drive-on/drive-off is such that the latter is definitely a better deal IMHO. Many of them can incorporate the front drive-off ramp into a flip-down salt shield, which makes them even more practical and IMHO definitely the way to go.

http://www.floeintl.com/images/saltramp2.jpg

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey ERK....it's too bad that trailer has a steel frame and a flat front or I may be interested. How old is it? How much coin do you want for it?

I think our sno-cross team is going to probably use it next season. It has heaters, generators, tool boxes, shelving, etc all built in. Fully finished and insulated interior.

I think we have it listed w/ all equipment for $6,000. That includes 2 generators.

Oh, and I sell anything.....anyone need an engagement ring???? :)

jkski
03-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Any problem fitting a 500ss or 600HO trail or adrenaline onto a 10ft. trailer?
What about a Polaris XCSP 600 or 700?

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 09:53 PM
The polaris sleds will fit. The ski doo's are longer, I'm not sure on those.

Datdude
03-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Any problem fitting a 500ss or 600HO trail or adrenaline onto a 10ft. trailer?
What about a Polaris XCSP 600 or 700?

The REV's will fit on a 10' trailer

dichdoc
03-17-2007, 12:50 PM
I'd be willing to make you a good deal on this slightly used ten foot enclosed tilt. All it needs is a slight wash job and it would be as good as new! TB

dichdoc
03-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Lets try that sales pitch with a picture. TB

jkski
03-17-2007, 03:03 PM
OUCH!!! Although, I have to say that I have looked at a few that were not too far from this.
I have been "sniped" on 3 on ebay now, I can't believe how much some of these are going for on there...I could buy a new one for the same money, based on what the local dealer quoted me.

dichdoc
03-17-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm with you on the price I actually got an insurance payment, welded that one back up scrapped the top and sold it for $600.00 within the first two hours it was in the paper and had close to thirty calls! Travis

Ryan27r
03-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Well the 12 foot drive on drive off is the way to go if you want an open trailer. Other wise a 2 place all aluminum inline trailer would be perfect for two sleds. No covers just throw them in tie them down and GO. Also provides a out of the wint area to work on sleds if need be.

jkski
03-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Just bought a 10' R&R Enclosed drive on/off. The trailer is a 1998 and the cap is a 2005.
Thanks for all the great advice, it is much appreciated.

Datdude
03-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Congrats on the trailer! Did you get sleds yet?

jkski
03-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Haven't gotten the sleds yet, but they are next. I have been looking, but admittedly, with the warmer weather on it's way, it is hard to plunk down the cash for something that I know I won't use until December (wrong way to think). So, I put a target of buying by mid-summer, don't know if this is smart or dumb, I figure someone here will set me straight if I am way off.
I've pretty much narrowed down the sleds to 2003-2005 Ski Doo 500ss or 600HO in the trail or adrenaline models, or I will pick-up a couple of Polaris 600XCSP's of the same year. Not really sure what I will find when push comes to shove, but at least I've got the trailer now.
Again, advice is always welcome and appreciated.

bigmac
03-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Haven't gotten the sleds yet, but they are next. I have been looking, but admittedly, with the warmer weather on it's way, it is hard to plunk down the cash for something that I know I won't use until December (wrong way to think). So, I put a target of buying by mid-summer, don't know if this is smart or dumb, I figure someone here will set me straight if I am way off.
I've pretty much narrowed down the sleds to 2003-2005 Ski Doo 500ss or 600HO in the trail or adrenaline models, or I will pick-up a couple of Polaris 600XCSP's of the same year. Not really sure what I will find when push comes to shove, but at least I've got the trailer now.
Again, advice is always welcome and appreciated.

It may be a regional thing, but around here, the sleds are summarized and put away for the summer. It's pretty hard to find anyone trying to sell snowmobiles until the fall, the dealers all have their used sleds in storage as do private sellers and they'll be reluctant to let people go in and start 'em up even if they could get to them. The time to sell sleds is in November and the time to buy them is in March, maybe April. If you wait until the fall, you'll likely end up paying a premium. It's like buying a used boat in Minnesota in the winter...

jkski
03-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Great advice, I'll start looking now as I certainly do not want to wait until fall and watch the prices go up.
Thanks again.