PDA

View Full Version : New Phishing Alert

trickskier
03-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Anybody that has Bellsouth please read the alert below:

Phishing Alert

Please be advised that a fraudulent email is being sent to BellSouth® Internet Service customers in an attempt to obtain User IDs and passwords.
Otherwise known as “phishing,” this fraudulent email is a scam by which the email user is duped into revealing personal or confidential information, such as passwords. Once the scammer has your personal or confidential information, he or she might use it illegally and/or sell it to others.

If you receive an email with the title "Account Security Measures" and "BELLSOUTH" in the "From" address field, DO NOT OPEN IT. Immediately DELETE the email from your system.

This email is NOT from BellSouth.

Following is a copy of the fraudulent email:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Bellsouth Customer,
We were unable to process your most recent payment. Did you recently change your bank, phone number or credit card? To ensure that your service is not interrupted, please update your billing information today as soon as possible. Updating your billing information is as easy as clicking the link below which will take you to our Account Updates web page.

Please click here to continue.

Regards,
Bellsouth.net Account Services Dept.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Repeat, this email is not from BellSouth.

Jkelly
03-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

kjohnson
03-14-2007, 10:22 AM
You know, it really pissssses me off that there are so many sorry lazy arse people out there trying to rip us off. I think they should hang these sorry f***s.

Ron Grover
03-14-2007, 01:55 PM
My solution would be to cut off their fingers. It would be more difficult to write code without fingers and a only being able to use a pencil stuck in your mouth for typing

trickskier
03-14-2007, 10:45 PM
I just wish they could catch these crooks, as I was a victim of identity theft last year.............Problem is they could be ANYWHERE in the world!!!.............

LakePirate
03-14-2007, 11:35 PM
This came out about 2 weeks ago, they sent it around BellSouth so that we could tell our customers. Notice that the address is a bellsouth.net address. That is the first clue.

For future reference if you ever get something like this, look for legitimate addresses and web pages. The domain name should be a dead give away. If you are still curious go to the ARIN database and search the domain name, it should tell you who the owner of the domain is and their contact information. However, that could be falsified as well.

trickskier
03-15-2007, 10:03 AM
This came out about 2 weeks ago, they sent it around BellSouth so that we could tell our customers. Notice that the address is a bellsouth.net address. That is the first clue.
Hey LP I'm a little confused. I have Bellsouth DSL at home and the Home Web Page is Bellsouth.net...........??? And my personal e-mail ends in Bellsouth.net.............:confused: