PDA

View Full Version : Common places for leaks and ways to fix?

hz900
03-14-2007, 03:19 AM
'92 prostar 205 w/ Holley 4010 carb

First of all I plan on switching to the 4160 carb for what its worth.

Mainly I bought this boat a year ago and had a great first summer with it but am trying to sort of fix it up for this summer. It ran good but I'm trying to do preventative maintenance. I have leaks all over the place. The engine is covered in oil residue. Second the transmission last year seemed to keep getting water in the fluid (even after replacing the trans cooler) and also loosing fluid. I'm sure it has a leak. The muffler was leaking so the hull would get quite a bit of water in it and I don't know if the trans was getting water in it from there through a leak or what.

So what I need to know is:

1. What is the best way to clean these engines without hurting anything or messing up the carpet?

2. What are the most common leak spots?

3. What is the best way to fix said leaks spots, and where to buy the stuff to fix it with?

Thanks, I'm trying to get this all together before end of April, which is when I first take the boat out, I can't wait, I pulled it out this past weekend and started cleaning it up and now I've got the fever bad.

east tx skier
03-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Are you sure the muffler's leaking? It could just be the shaft packing needs replacement. That part is supposed to leak a little bit for lubrication, but will leak excessively if the wax/rope packing is worn out. Very cheap and easy to check/replace. There's a walkthrough on this in the FAQ thread linked in my signature.

If it is the muffler, depending on the location and size of the leak, you may be able to patch it with a fiberglass repair kit. New mufflers can be pricey.

No idea about the rest of the questions.

G-man
03-14-2007, 11:55 AM
if he has the big silent master muffler that goes between the two sides he probably has a leaking muffler. quite a few people changed them out to the single muffler for each side that was used after 92. skidim.com is a great source for these

east tx skier
03-14-2007, 12:00 PM
George, was 93 the first year without the big crossover? I don't know why I thought it was 92.

G-man
03-14-2007, 01:14 PM
I think it was an option in 93 but standard in 92. I was glad not to see it in 93. It could have been 91 some of those brain cells don't work as well as they use to.

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 01:34 PM
It could have been 91 some of those brain cells don't work as well as they use to.
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

sanjuan23
03-14-2007, 01:44 PM
FYI My 92 Does not have the crossover.

hz900
03-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Are you sure the muffler's leaking? It could just be the shaft packing needs replacement. That part is supposed to leak a little bit for lubrication, but will leak excessively if the wax/rope packing is worn out. Very cheap and easy to check/replace. There's a walkthrough on this in the FAQ thread linked in my signature.

If it is the muffler, depending on the location and size of the leak, you may be able to patch it with a fiberglass repair kit. New mufflers can be pricey.

No idea about the rest of the questions.

I have the big muffler going between the pipes, over the transmission area, and I am sure it is leaking, I can open the engine cover and see the water running out of it in several places. I have to turn the bilge on often. It was something I did not notice until the end of last summer so figured it could wait till I did the rest of the planned work.

I've thought about just putting straight pipes in, but I'm afraid it will be to loud.

bigmac
03-14-2007, 11:23 PM
I have the big muffler going between the pipes, over the transmission area, and I am sure it is leaking, I can open the engine cover and see the water running out of it in several places. I have to turn the bilge on often. It was something I did not notice until the end of last summer so figured it could wait till I did the rest of the planned work.

I've thought about just putting straight pipes in, but I'm afraid it will be to loud.

Think about MC's new baffled exhaust...(see this post (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=216370&postcount=24))

Part # 253030 MSRP $165.50 (each) MYMC price $130. You'll remove the fiberglass mufflers and extend the hoses to the transom. Not a direct bolt in but pretty easy.

east tx skier
03-15-2007, 12:11 PM

I think so, too. I think what George referenced was the straight mufflers (without the crossover piece) available at ski dim.

ogrover3
04-15-2007, 08:30 PM
i just purchased a 91 prostar 190 and have the big silent master and it is leaking a good amount of water. i was wondering has anyone tried doing away with the silent master and just running the rubber tube in its place? i figure it will be louder but i wasnt sure if it would be too loud and i wasnt sure if it was a good idea. any information would be greatly appeciated.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-15-2007, 08:57 PM
If you have the single SilentMaster that runs across the back of the engine, check to be sure the drain plug is tightened down in the muffler. I've forgotten about mine in spring and had a pretty good leak because of it.

TMCNo1
04-15-2007, 09:14 PM
i just purchased a 91 prostar 190 and have the big silent master and it is leaking a good amount of water. i was wondering has anyone tried doing away with the silent master and just running the rubber tube in its place? i figure it will be louder but i wasnt sure if it would be too loud and i wasnt sure if it was a good idea. any information would be greatly appeciated.
A great many of the earlier crossflow SilentMaster mufflers developed cracks in them and some can/have been repaired, but later crack again. It's best to just replace them with the (2) inline mufflers that can be purchased from a MC dealer or www.skidim.com and be done with the problem. All you will need are some hangers, big screws to attach the mufflers to the stringers with and (4) big clamps to connect the mufflers to the rubber pipes with. You will even have some of the rubber hose left over.

88 PS190
04-15-2007, 09:16 PM
other sources for leaks would be the rubrail,

and the plate that the packing ruuber clamps down to.

TMCNo1
04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
George, was 93 the first year without the big crossover? I don't know why I thought it was 92.

Some friends of ours have a 1990 MariStar 210 that had the crossflow muffler and he had to replace it with 2 inline mufflers, because there was no replacement for his muffler @ MasterCraft. They may have them now with the v-drive crossflows, but will they work with a 351! Anybody know?