PDA

View Full Version : The scariest sound I have ever heard..............

WAT8415
03-14-2007, 01:17 AM

sizzler
03-14-2007, 03:45 AM
i dinged my factory prop last year......i got it fixed and kept it as a spare....bought myself a cnc'd ACME.....its a great prop.......heres a link to the thread for advice

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9515

rspiecha
03-14-2007, 04:58 AM
Is that stainless???

sizzler
03-14-2007, 06:07 AM
his looks it..........mine ,no......

dapicatti
03-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Yikes. Hopefully all you did was damage the prop. Keep us posted.

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 06:18 AM
Rut Row, time for a new prop, but check or have all the running gear checked out.

Mikey
03-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Well look at the bright side, at least you had cold beer!:cool:

sanjuan23
03-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Since the Stainless is so much harder than the Bronze you should most definetly have everything checked out.

bigmac
03-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Since the Stainless is so much harder than the Bronze you should most definetly have everything checked out.

Yup - the force necessary to bend up a stainless steel prop like that was transmitted along the whole driveline. The shaft needs a run-out gauge and the strut needs some careful measurements. The other way to test it is to slap a new prop on her, take it out on the lake and see how much she vibrates.

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 10:27 AM
I can get you a new CNC Acme, wouldn't recommend stainless again :(

east tx skier
03-14-2007, 10:31 AM
The shaft would be my concern as well. And the strut while you're at it. I did this with my father in law's boat a couple of years ago. One fo the prop blades was bent about 45 degrees. Amazingly, the strut was unharmed.

But look at the shaft. :o And the glass above it.

All things considered, the prop was the cheapest thing to repair (and it performed better than before when we got it back from OJ). R&R the shaft was the spendy part.

If you get out of this with only prop damage, consider it a good day on the lake.

RexDog1
03-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Well look at the bright side, at least you had cold beer!:cool:

Thank you, Mr. Bright Side……..:D

Sorry WAT8415
I would also stay away from stainless

X2M
03-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Sorry about your prop. Makes me kinda sick just from looking at the photos...I can just imagine what it was like hearing it.

I appologize for jacking your thread, but I have a prop question that doesnt need it's own thread....

Last fall my husband was out in our X2 at the river and hit something. Knowing the area he was in it was more than likely a tree branch or a small log. After the hit our 4 blade prop became a 3 blade...sheared it clean off. Is that normal? Was the prop defective?

:)

east tx skier
03-14-2007, 10:59 AM
I've never seen anyone shear a prop blade. Not that it couldn't be done, but that just doesn't sound right.

NWMC
03-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Good luck! Which Lake were you on?

bigmac
03-14-2007, 11:18 AM
I've never seen anyone shear a prop blade. Not that it couldn't be done, but that just doesn't sound right.Especially on a branch. If that happened to me, I certainly (politely) raise the question of defect with the prop manufacturer. Acme and OJ are both very customer-oriented.

Harvey
03-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Another case to support never using stainless steel props.

X2Momma, you lost a whole blade? I have never heard of that happening, ever. I suppose if you hit the log just right and the wood was hard enough you could do it. You should have gone out and bought a lottery ticket right afterward.

RexDog1
03-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Sorry about your prop. Makes me kinda sick just from looking at the photos...I can just imagine what it was like hearing it.

I appologize for jacking your thread, but I have a prop question that doesnt need it's own thread....

Last fall my husband was out in our X2 at the river and hit something. Knowing the area he was in it was more than likely a tree branch or a small log. After the hit our 4 blade prop became a 3 blade...sheared it clean off. Is that normal? Was the prop defective?

:)

You never know what happens when you hit something hard in the water??? Good thing it did not fly off and hit the bottom of your boat :eek3:

Sounds strange to me, but you never know????

WAT8415
03-14-2007, 11:24 AM

X2M
03-14-2007, 11:36 AM
I've never seen anyone shear a prop blade. Not that it couldn't be done, but that just doesn't sound right.

It was the original four blade OJ factory prop. Here is a pic.

X2M
03-14-2007, 11:36 AM
One more....

Workin' 4 Toys
03-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Yup, dinged a prop on a rock myself. But nothing like that..!!!

X2- PM at you....

I've heard the sound of a rock hitting a prop, but I guess I haven't been in the boat with one that bad. But I will tell you a sound you wouldn't like. Driving over a ski rope and having the rope wrap around the blade and the bashing the handle off the bottom of the boat. It wasn't mine, but that was a sound I will NEVER forget....!!! We are still looking for the guy that lost a rope on the lake..:mad:

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 11:52 AM
I have seen that a few times. Once someone hit a market buoy at night....ended up with a 2 blade, and another time someone hit an unknown.

WAT8415
03-14-2007, 01:12 PM

X2M
03-14-2007, 01:19 PM
I have seen that a few times. Once someone hit a market buoy at night....ended up with a 2 blade, and another time someone hit an unknown.

So, it's normal? I shouldn't connact OJ?

sanjuan23
03-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Not norm would be my opinion but I dont sell and service boats everyday. And come to think of it I didnt stay in a Holiday Inn last night either.

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 01:29 PM

It is hard to say without see it first hand, any other damage? I'd call, who knows...maybe they will help you out on a new prop.

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 01:38 PM
I would call Eric @ OJ Props @ 1-800-359-9730 tell him about the prop, refer him to this thread and see what he thinks. He may want you to send him the prop to evaluate it. I would be worth a try.

Kevin 89MC
03-14-2007, 02:06 PM
WAT 8415, I feel your pain. We seriously fubar'd our prop, rudder, driveshaft & strut about 8 yrs ago, hitting a rock at 32 mph while cornering. I was skiing, saw the boat launch almost out of the water! :eek:
We got a new prop, shaft, strut & rudder all thru MC. Surprisingly we had no fiberglass or transmission damage at all. These things are built like tanks! I even got the old 3 blade repaired, it is an awesome back up prop.

Good luck, I hope you're as lucky as I was. Keep us posted.

Kevin

EJ OJPROP
03-14-2007, 02:44 PM
X2Momma just called and I advised her to send the prop in so I could look at it. If it looks like a prop problem and not a log problem, I will replace it.

roddydog
03-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Now THAT is service!!!!

trickskier
03-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Yep you guessed it.................took the boat out for a little spin and found the only dam rock in the lake. Ok I know I should have been paying attention but …………. Ok here are the details, was in the middle of the lake, at about 50’ of water.
OUCH!!! How in the world did you hit a rock in the middle of the lake in 50' feet of water???

Workin' 4 Toys
03-14-2007, 02:58 PM
OUCH!!! How in the world did you hit a rock in the middle of the lake in 50' feet of water???
I have a few guesses.....

Floating rock?:rolleyes:
The foam didn't do the job of keeping the boat above water...?:rolleyes:
The depth gauge said 0.50ft instead of 50.0ft ?:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 03:01 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, a 49' rock?????????????????????

Workin' 4 Toys
03-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, a 49' rock?????????????????????
Yup, I'd bet your right...I should have known.:shocked: :noface:

WAT8415
03-14-2007, 03:27 PM

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Yep you guessed it.

I had a chance to get under the boat, there is no fiberglass damage, but the prop seems to turn harder than i remember. I have to put a little muscle into it to turn the prop, is that normal?

I sounds like the strut may have took a whack and may be cocked sideways a bit and is in a bind with the shaft, but mine will tighten up a bit after the first time out when the shaft log stuffing rope gets wet and warm after drying out over the winter.

trickskier
03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
I have a few guesses.....

Floating rock?:rolleyes:
The foam didn't do the job of keeping the boat above water...?
The depth gauge said 0.50ft instead of 50.0ft ?:rolleyes:

Yeah, I have to dodge those floating rocks on our lake all of the time...........:steering: :uglyhamme

WAT8415
03-14-2007, 04:26 PM

Kevin 89MC
03-14-2007, 05:31 PM
I did have MC repair mine (decided to make it an insurance claim, and boat was quite new to me so I didn't want to F it up). Looking at it, though, it doesn't appear to be too hard, if you're handy with a wrench. You will need to make sure the drivetrain is all lined up, though.
Good luck,
Kevin

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
I removed the shaft packing nut (guess that is what you would call it) and the prop is still difficult to spin. I guess I knocked the strut out, so it is something that can be fixed or just replace? So if I need to replace the strut and the shaft is this something that I can do, or should I take the boat into the "local dealer" to do the work? Looking for any suggestions here.

The simplest answer is to take it to the local dealer, because they have the mechanics that know what to look for, equipment to check everything, the ability to get the parts quick and repair it properly. It probably will require a engine alignment along with a new strut, prop and maybe a shaft. It is something you can do with basic mechanical experience, but the engine alignment, if needed, can be a bear if you have no knowledge on how to do it properly.

Gozar
03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
It was the original four blade OJ factory prop. Here is a pic.

:noface: Ouch!

WAT8415
03-14-2007, 06:40 PM

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 07:48 PM
I am thinking of doing the grunt work and then take the boat into the dealer to have them align it.

Anything is possible, but if you DIY, take pics of the process and post them, to help out with such future projects by other owners, if you can, thanks!

WAT8415
03-14-2007, 08:25 PM

mash
03-14-2007, 08:52 PM
I just put a new shaft and strut bushings in my '93. Not too tough. The hardest part was removing and replacing the strut bushings. If you do this, remove the strut from your hull first. My boat has a 1" shaft with 1-1/4" bushings and most of them are black rubber material. Only about 1/16" of brass around the bushing. I used a saws-all to slot the existing bushing. It released imediately. The new bushings went in tight too. I heated the strut with a torch to cause it to expand.

I coupled the shaft to the tranny before tightening the strut bolts. I checked alignment at the coupler with shim stock as described in a thread here. That's the good thing about an older boat, anything that might move already has. My alignment was very good, even after removing and replacing the strut.

SkiDog
03-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Anything is possible, but if you DIY, take pics of the process and post them, to help out with such future projects by other owners, if you can, thanks!
I'd be willing to bet the farm that #1 has NEVER dinged a prop!:D What obstacle would DARE get in his way!:D

mash
03-14-2007, 09:01 PM
We need to do a pole to see how many on this forum hasn't dinged a prop. Bet you won't find many with any hours on their boat!

Matt L.
03-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Back in 99 I prop struck a "deadhead" log (completely water logged) so it was sitting just below the surface while pulling my Sis-in-law out. Worst possible time, full throttle and just getting out of the hole. Prop, strut , shaft and glass all totally done.

fortunately it was a malibu. Later was replaced with an X-30.

I suggest you have the strut and shaft checked.

Later,

Matt

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 11:27 AM
I'd be willing to bet the farm that #1 has NEVER dinged a prop!:D What obstacle would DARE get in his way!:D

Not yet, but there is always a first time. I've got 3 spares and always carry a spare, just in case!

cmack
03-15-2007, 12:17 PM
I made a mess of the prop on the "old" 06 Four Winns. It was my first trailering experience. The wind picked up when we were out and decided to get back. Since it was a rather embarrassing experience -- I'll keep it to my self. Lake +Wind+boat ramp+trailer+NEWBIE = Trouble Use you imagination but I too heard the dreded sound. Thankfully there was no hecklers on the ramp. Knock on wood -- Every trailering since has been right in the hole.

atlps190
03-15-2007, 12:47 PM
We've all done it...and lived to tell the story...

All I can say as I type this is..."a bad day on the water is better than a good day at the office."

-T.

Doug G
03-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Did this on the old IO. This thing actually ran like nothing was wrong believe it or not. It is a composite material with replaceable blades on the hub. I realize that would not fit on the VD but for the cost of one prop I got a kit with spare blades wrench etc... In essence two props. Changing the performance of the boat by prop swapping took minutes. I know it doesn't work for the VD but would sure be nice.

TX.X-30 fan
03-15-2007, 07:35 PM

That has to be associated with the casting. :confused: