PDA

View Full Version : What to do about discontinued parts???

hz900
03-14-2007, 12:09 AM
'92 prostar 205

Is there an aftermarket supplyer for parts for these boats? My alternator bracket is cracked, and I've already tried to have it welded, only for a crack to start appearing again in the same spot. I made it through last season, but would really not like to press my luck. Also I need a rear seat bottom cover.

According to the mastercraft dealer both these parts are discontinued and can not be found. Is there an alternate source for these?

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 12:20 AM
I just check MC parts inventory, and don't see a cross reference for that part either.

You may have to take it to a machine shop and have one custom made.

Jim@BAWS, MYMC any ideas?

east tx skier
03-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Doesn't look like ski dim has it. You might also try taking the bracket to NAPA. They may be able to find something that will work. The guys at my local NAPA always seem to be pretty comfortable cross referencing parts for my engine. Worth a shot.

hz900
03-14-2007, 03:00 AM
I just check MC parts inventory, and don't see a cross reference for that part either.

You may have to take it to a machine shop and have one custom made.

Jim@BAWS, MYMC any ideas?

I thought of that, but anything that is "custom made" usually comes with a $$$$$ price tag, so that is a last resort, not to mention the lack of competent machine shops in my area.

I am thinking I will try some of the local salvage yards and a mechanic around here that specializes in ford motors and see if I can find one that will work off a truck motor, it doesn't have to be the same size/shape, as long as it will bolt up, I can always measure and by a universal belt.

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Check www.skidim.com for the alternator bracket, if need be call Vince or Richard.
As for the seat material, check out this thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8439

east tx skier
03-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Check www.skidim.com for the alternator bracket, if need be call Vince or Richard.
As for the seat material, check out this thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8439

I didn't see it on skidim, but definitely call those guys. They are a wealth of information.