PDA

View Full Version : What tranny fluid do I run in a 85 powerslot

d36yzrider
03-13-2007, 11:05 PM
I have a 85 S&S with the power slot it has not been changed in quite some time what fluid do I use some people say Automatic transmisson fluid other say gear oil I think it has gear oil in it right now its brown. IF its gear oil what weight do I use?

EricB
03-13-2007, 11:23 PM
D36..
Dexron 3 automatic trans fluid is what you should use. I believe it called for type 2, but thats not availabe anymore and type 3 is improved. Brown oil indicates it has been overheated. Change promptly.

jrcarte78
03-23-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm sure someone else will chime in soon who knows for sure but--I know on some of the newer boats that the manufacturer recommendations for tranny oil did change to regular engine oil. But, I never heard this being recommended for the older boats.

Like I said, I'm sure someone will come in soon who knows for sure.

J.R.

jjk94
03-26-2007, 02:02 AM
My 85 manual says dextron

H20skeefreek
03-26-2007, 08:05 AM
to ID what it is currently, smell it. If it smells "nutty" then it's ATF (what it should have it it), if not it's probably gear oil or motor oil. If it's gear oil you don't want to just switch to ATF, as the mixture will cause premature breakdown of the oils, whichever is in there. You'd need to flush it several times with the ATF.

bigmac
03-26-2007, 08:30 AM
It's highly unlikely to be gear oil. I think GL-4 or GL-5 would be totally inappropriate. It's more likely either Dexron or engine oil. These transmissions are pretty simple, and the lack of a torque converter means that the fluid used isn't very critical, although I would think that 80-90 weight gear oil would be a bad thing. For example, people were complaining about rattling at idle in their later model V-drives with ATF so Hurth recommended switching to 15w40. I have no idea if that's appropriate for tranmissions of your vintage, however. I don't know why it would look brown, though, unless it's burnt...in which case you may have big tranny problems looming.

There are really no compatibility issues between ATF and gear oil or motor oil, so whichever it is, I'd drain it refill with fresh ATF. I would drain the transmission completely and refill with Dexron II, III, or IV (whichever you can find). Because of the suspicion about the viability of the stuff and its effect on your transmission (either burnt ATF or engine oil) I would then run it a little bit and change it again. I might even do that a third time. In my boat, changing the transmission oil is easy with a vacuum pump and a 4 quart container - don't know about yours.

Engine Nut
03-26-2007, 09:12 AM
I have a 85 S&S with the power slot it has not been changed in quite some time what fluid do I use some people say Automatic transmisson fluid other say gear oil I think it has gear oil in it right now its brown. IF its gear oil what weight do I use?

The Velvet Drive Service Manual calls for Dexron 2 or Dexron 3 or any hydraulic oil which meets the C-4 oil specification. Current production ZF/Hurth gear reduction transmissions use 15W40 motor oil but the 1:1 units continue to use Dexron 3 ATF.

Engine Nut

bigmac
03-26-2007, 09:20 AM
The Velvet Drive Service Manual calls for Dexron 2 or Dexron 3 or any hydraulic oil which meets the C-4 oil specification. Current production ZF/Hurth gear reduction transmissions use 15W40 motor oil but the 1:1 units continue to use Dexron 3 ATF.

Engine NutIt would be nice if the service manuals for the powertrains (engines too) of our boats were available to the consumer. My boat is virtually the only vehicle or other engine-driven device that I own, or have ever owned, for which those items aren't available.

Just an observation...