PDA

View Full Version : help remove floor panel of 197 prostar.

boatless
03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Could some one show me how to remove the floor panel behind the engine so I can do some cleaning or just looking around int it :D ? Do I have to remove the engine cover before removing the floor ?

Thanks,

boatless.

bbeach
03-13-2007, 06:19 PM
I don't know what year your boat is... BUt on the 90 190 you must pull the back 2 cotter pins for the engine compartment, also pull the back panel - the one behind the back seat. the back panel just pulls out from 2 black straps on the bottom... pull the bottom out first and the top will slide down towards the floor... After that there should be 4 long stainless screws... Remove and then the panel should pull right out... This is how you can get to the rudder grease jerks as well as your prop shaft packing... Hope this helps...

bbeach
03-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Oh shoot I just saw your title that says 197... my bad!

Okay can't help you with the 197 but I'm sure someone on here can...

LQ9Lover
03-13-2007, 06:23 PM
You should be able to flip the entire engine box backwards (both pieces of you have the 2 piece engine box). Note you may have to undo the shock lifts (just one end) to do this. Then slide the floor piece and the engine box forward together. Sometimes it is easier with a 2nd pair of hands and then just lift the whole floor and engine box out of the boat for your cleaning.

Hope this helps! Mike

vogelm1
03-13-2007, 07:14 PM
I have a 2005 so not sure if things were different prior to that year but here goes: open the engine cover take off the lifting struts (have little c-clips you can pull off with a little screw driver); once the lifting struts are off, carefully lower the cover but do not allow it to snap shut, otherwise you may damage the locking mechanism. With the cover down but not locked pull up on the rear corners of the box near the hinges...there should be enough gap there to get your fingers underneath and wiggle it up, a little bit at a time on each side (the carpet will have a lot of friction). There are no screws or fasteners holding the floor piece down on mine.

WTRSK1R
03-13-2007, 08:57 PM
I just had mine out yesterday on a 2004 197. I disconnected the lower end of the engine box support struts, and then opened the engine box all the way up until it was resting on the floor panel you want to remove. I then grabbed the floor panel just below the engine cover and lifted. I was able to fold the whole assembly back so that the engine cover was resting on the rear trunk by myself, but it would have been much easier with a second set of hands, especially when reinstalling.

Steve

boatless
03-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Thank you so much everyone. My is a 2005 197 prostar, I'll try it this weekend.

boatless.