PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season maintenance

JR34
03-13-2007, 11:57 AM
This is only my second year with my MC (2001 Prostar 190) and looking to ready the boat for the summer. I had the dealer winterize the boat in NOV and it is my understanding all I need to do is connect the battery up and it is ready to roll.

What do you guys do aside from cosmetic (wax and teak) to get your boat ready for the season? In my first year I had to replace the stearing cable and heater core that were shot before I got the boat and am just curious what you guys do that will avoid future repairs that are somewhat avoidable.

Been boating all my life but still feel new to the "ownership" side of things. Appreciate any advise.

Thanks

east tx skier
03-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Welcome. Here's my dewinterization spring maintenance check list.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103139&postcount=6

You might want to look at what I do when I winterize, too. Then call your dealer and find out exactly what they did. The process of "winterization" can be quick or very detailed, but rarely can it be both. For some, it's drain and fluid change. For others, it's has more annual maintenance components worked into it. How much work you need to do now depends on how much was done at the end of last season.

chudson
03-13-2007, 12:09 PM
I Change
1. oil and filter
2. fuel filter
3. trans oil
4. spark plugs
5. impellar
6. connect the garden hose and run before going to the lake
7. don't forget to put the plug in!!!

Or you can do what ETS posted above ^^^^ which is alot more indepth than my crummy 7 steps!!!:( :rolleyes:

JR34
03-13-2007, 06:19 PM
any idea if the spark plugs and impellar are part of the normal fullblown winterization done by a dealer? I can check when I get to boat but off hand can't remember.

JR34
03-17-2007, 01:10 PM
are spark plug and impellar replacement part of a winterization that would be done by a MC dealership?

Thanks

bigmac
03-17-2007, 01:14 PM
are spark plug and impellar replacement part of a winterization that would be done by a MC dealership?

Thanks
No, they're not part of typical dealer winterization prices. You'll often find them on the ala carte side of the price list, though. MasterCraft recommends a new impeller every year, and some people here follow that advice. Some dealers think that a new impeller every year is unnecessary. Changing it on a DD like yours is pretty straightforward, however, and if you can afford the $30 for a new impeller, it's not a bad idea.