PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Clarion Marine speakers?

hz900
03-13-2007, 02:03 AM
I have not been "In the Know" when it comes to what are good brands in audio components in years but I do remember that Clarion used to make quality stuff.

I'm looking to replace the 4 6.5" speakers in my '92 205, they will be powered by a separate amp, and found that the clarion marine speakers are relatively inexpensive.

The brands that I found that fit my budget are pioneer, kenwood, and clarion, or ~$60 or less for a pair on ebay.

Also I have a question about head units..... is there a head unit that will take a usb thumb drive plug in?

That may be a way out there question but I'd rather plug in a cheap thumb drive full of mp3's than any expensive ipod, and run the risk of the ipod getting wet and damaged.

bbeach
03-13-2007, 07:34 AM
I went through your whole thought process several years ago on my prostar and utlimately got a good deal on a Clarion system that came directly out of a 2003 X Star... So the factory Clarion 6.5's seperates and a clarion head unit with remote and 400W Amp + 10inch sub... I boxed the sub and tuned the amp the system has been flawless for 4 years now in all kinds of weather. So while Clarion might not be the top of the line or the best brand thier stuff sure holds up in the marine environment... I expected the head unit to die long ago from moisture and is still kickin! As far as MP3's the head units now will play mp3 discs so just burn whatever you want to a disc and play that!

hz900
03-13-2007, 09:08 AM
I went through your whole thought process several years ago on my prostar and utlimately got a good deal on a Clarion system that came directly out of a 2003 X Star... So the factory Clarion 6.5's seperates and a clarion head unit with remote and 400W Amp + 10inch sub... I boxed the sub and tuned the amp the system has been flawless for 4 years now in all kinds of weather. So while Clarion might not be the top of the line or the best brand thier stuff sure holds up in the marine environment... I expected the head unit to die long ago from moisture and is still kickin! As far as MP3's the head units now will play mp3 discs so just burn whatever you want to a disc and play that!

I was trying to find an alternative to discs due to the skipping problems I've seen in other boats when in ruff water.

DrJ
03-13-2007, 10:00 AM
I am not sure why but this seems to be a very popular topic right now. I will give you my opinion. I have been through two boats and four sets of speakers (by choice) over the past four years. I bought a prostar that had standard JL audio speakers. Good sound until they got wet during a rain storm on the lake, one tore. Put in Infinity marine speakers. Best sound I have ever heard on a boat. Sold that boat and got a X2. Had stock Clarion speakers and head unit. It sounded like crap. Replaced all speakers with Infinity and pushed them with a 400W amp. It sounded really good. But then put in a 12" Kicker Sub pushed by 800W amp. Oh baby hold onto the small children. The sound is awesome. I have heard some people say it's so loud it's annoying. So just to put icing on the cake I just ordered the Infinity tower speaker system. It's not hooked up yet. but I am really excited about it. I guess my point it, look at Infinity. You will not be disappointed. Good luck.

east tx skier
03-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Just did the new speaker thing in my boat, too. Per JimN's advice (given my budget), I just looked for good car speakers with plastic or treated paper cones. I ended up with some Infinity 6.5" speakers and have been very pleased with the sound. They had a plastic cone with a rubberized edge (can you tell my knowledge of this stuff is limited yet).

The boat had a new head unit (JVC) that the dealer installed when I bought it. It will read MP3s off the CD and skipping is largely a non-issue. An 800 mb CD-RW will hold roughly 180 to 200 songs. We just make a boat mix and leave it in there on shuffle. Has a wireless remote, too, which has come in very handy.

DrJ
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I was just re-reading your second post. If you want an alternative to disc's. I just got an FM transmitter for my ipod. It will transmit the signal from anywhere in the boat and works great. You can get them for just about any mp3 player for about $30-60. The good news here is you wont have to change your head unit as long as it can receive an FM signal. And I have never seen on that did not.

puck_11
03-13-2007, 12:31 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OD7rhi8L6D6/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=300&avf=Y&nvpair=AG%5FGeneral%5FFeatures%7CFFUSB%5FInput

Click on the link and it should already have the USB input units filtered. I have one in my boat and its an awesome, awesome feature. Its very easy to change songs and you don't have to worry about skipping. I would highly recommend one for the boat. The only concern is, with the stereo cover down, you won't be able to use the thumb drive.

Don't go with the FM transmitter, if you turn up the music, you can hear a lot of distortion. They don't send the clearest of signals.

Rich_G
03-13-2007, 01:21 PM
I just installed 4 Polk Momo (MMC650's) this weekend. They are car speakers but marine approved. I am running them off the head unit that came with the boat, a Clarion 30W x 4; that's all, no amp.

They sound great and look good IMO. Got all 4 from ebay for $208 to the door. They retail for quite a bit more than that. Several ebay stores sell them new, but you are giving up the 3-yr factory warranty.

JBaker
03-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Polk Momo and JL are great, but not in your price range. Clarion is probably your best bet IMO. Go with the components. They sound very good and are really reliable. They just can't play the kind of volume that some of the more expensive lines can.

hz900
03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OD7rhi8L6D6/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=300&avf=Y&nvpair=AG%5FGeneral%5FFeatures%7CFFUSB%5FInput

Perfect... thank you. Thats what I was looking for and in my budget of headunits.

I've got a good solobaric kicker 12" laying around that I am going to use as a sub. Probably a little overkill, but I've got it and don't have to pay for it. I'm not an audio fanatic, just looking for something affordable that will sound "decent", to replace my kenwood speakers that are dry rotted, and loud enough to hear when running the boat down the river.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go with the clarion speakers, powered by a 4 channel amp, ~50w per channel.... they sound like they will suit my needs just fine.

FlatBoard
03-13-2007, 11:05 PM
I have not been "In the Know" when it comes to what are good brands in audio components in years but I do remember that Clarion used to make quality stuff.

I'm looking to replace the 4 6.5" speakers in my '92 205, they will be powered by a separate amp, and found that the clarion marine speakers are relatively inexpensive.

The brands that I found that fit my budget are pioneer, kenwood, and clarion, or ~$60 or less for a pair on ebay.

Also I have a question about head units..... is there a head unit that will take a usb thumb drive plug in?

That may be a way out there question but I'd rather plug in a cheap thumb drive full of mp3's than any expensive ipod, and run the risk of the ipod getting wet and damaged.

I have Calrion equipment for sale if you are interseted - P.M. me and I will give you the details.....

JBaker
03-14-2007, 02:43 AM

This is a great, relatively inexpensive USB head.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TazXF20FARK/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=020DXZ575

It can be found for even less at non-authorized retailers or eBay.